Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

Love it, Dawn! That warm glow from inside the building, and the burlap backing.
If only you would frame it with a plain black frame! :P :D

Love it, Dawn! That warm glow from inside the building, and the burlap backing.
If only you would frame it with a plain black frame! :P :D

I'mthinking about adding a page to my website just for my new line of SHEEPLE CORP, plain black frames.
"Sheeple Corp, for everyday sheeple"

With a muzak version of the Sly and the Family Stone classic as the theme?

I agree with what 4WDTiki said (twice), dig that orange glow! I thought it was great in black and white, even better in color.

All too awesome Dawn.

Every one gets better and better then the previous one.
Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great work!

an awesome piece AND you found your Sock!
i'd say it's lookin like a good week!
:)

5 minute sharpie sketch for my next already overdue project

I swear that every day stuff sure does get in the way of art making. ( mentally that is)

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-02-10 15:39 ]

"5 minute sharpie sketch..."
That's disgusting! I couldn't make a sketch look like that in 5 weeks :D

Volcano - COOL!!!!

I wouldn't mind living there.

Bear

todays drawing, cant wait to see it as a painting. I'm falling easily into my art routine for this year. I'm going to do each piece atleast 3 times. once as an ink drawing, once as a watercolor and once as an acrylic, in either blue or green of course, once it reaches the painting stage the lurking space needle will be added.

Awesome as always!!!

The black-and-white ink drawing reminds me of toile, that would actually be pretty cool I think, tiki toile fabric . . . really, I think it would be a cool subtle detail.

C

Very cool as always!

hand painted black grassmat effect mats for two ink drawings, off to one of my favorite collectors.

Going to switch gears for a day and sew up a couple of shirts to test out my new vintage patterns and the Kona Cotton I just ordered from Spoonflower

Hey, I'm working with Dawn's Spoonflower fabric today too :D

finally posting a finished shirt,
Honolulu Market in lichen from the Abstractiva collection of Sophista-tiki fabrics on Spoonflower
Kona Cotton

Pattern is the slim fit Patterns Pacifica (NOS) circa 1970 with the pointy collar. zipper front with a tiki pull optional.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-02-27 06:38 ]

lamp shade painting is finally starting to look like something, its taken forever to get this far, too many interuptions, can someone else just do the rest of my life for me so I can finish a stinkin' piece of art!

OOOOOh! a nice long horizontal one!
VISTA!
this could just as easily be a mural!

On 2012-03-03 11:31, little lost tiki wrote:
OOOOOh!

Well said, Kinny. It's got that glow-y blue that I love and that only you can do, Dawn. It's beautiful.

M

I really want to see that lamp,it's going to be awesome!!!

It's going to take a very special lamp to go with that lampshade, do you have something in mind?

the lamp shades hang ,like this

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-03-03 18:00 ]

On 2012-03-03 17:32, Sophista-tiki wrote:
the lamp shades hang ,

???

C

Everything looks great! I specially love the blue lamp shade beautiful!

Oh, I get it now :D Beautiful!

On 2012-03-03 17:32, Sophista-tiki wrote:
the lamp shades hang ,like this

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-03-03 18:00 ]

love this!

y, that is Wade;s lampshade design, Askgene he's got them available.

I promise to post pic of the shirt making process on this custom order.
The fabric arrived 2 days ago. 3 yrds of the A frames in poolside.

Dawn, I got technical sewing questions for you. 1) At the end of a seam do you backstitch, tie the ends off, or both? 2) Do you sew over pins and risk breaking a needle or do you remove them as you go? (I broke a needle tonite for the first time in years :lol: )

M

Your lamps make weak in the knees,awesome!

Mike. I back stitch a couple of ti=mes , and I always remove the pins. I've broken too many needles and If youre on your last needle its can put a stop to your sewing project.
MUd , I'm just doing one or 2 lamp shade desings, there will be a n entire line of artist designed lamps availabe from Gene McDomald.
If my life wasnt so crazy busy now I would have been done with mine long ago. I cant wait to see it completed , illuminated,, and possibly hanging over someones dining room table.

Awesome lamp Dawn!!!

T

Wow!!! That lamp design is incredible!!! You should make prints of them, in addition to the shade!

The lamp thats complete is WADE's painting, I just gave it as an example of how mine will look as a completed project. and YES Wades lamp is spectacular. Mine is the blue one thats still an unfinshed painting.

OK heres my shirt progress.shots

laying out the pattern pieces

all cut out and ready to sew

the shirt is all sewn together now and I'm finishing the colar, then its buttons, pocket, label package, an ship.

Dawn, really love the look of that fabric!

-Tom

T

Mine is the blue one thats still an unfinshed painting.

That's the one I LOVE!!! And it's not even done yet!

The panoramic scope of it is incredible... would make a great print! (hint hint...)

YAY thank you Eric.

That aqua is going to look awesome...can't wait to see it. :wink:

Beautiful lamps and cloth. I think your thread needs Mike the MadDogModel wearing your cannibal cloth design. Wendy

finally finished this shirt and its ready to ship. museum exhibit chaos and cold just about killed me and put me a few weeks behind in my projects. Grrr!

stitching on the pocket

the new label is now placed inside the front towards the bottom

the first shirt to get the new coconut buttons imported from Thailand

packaged and ready to ship

starting on the next shirt, this one is for the winner of the free shirt drawing last month. the winner was from Friends of Atomic Ranch over on Fb and he has since dissapeared. WTF! I
m making the shirt anyway, and if it comes back its up for grabs.

ding, its done

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-03-19 12:57 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-03-19 19:09 ]

I have all current sewing orders off my desk and am about to start on a couple of album cover pieces, as that is the theme for both Hukilau and Oasis art shows this yr.
BUT before I do that I'm going to make myself finish this shirt that been hanging around for a couple of months. Its the first one of my new 70's slim fit pattern with the slightly pointy collar. I'm fighting EVERY urge not to put an ornange zipper on this, and some sissy pockets. The zipper idea didn't occur to me until after I had alread sewn the front to accomodate buttons. So , I can't really do it even though I'm dying to. This one will just be regulation conservative style, but the next one is SO getting a contrasting zipper.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-03-25 09:38 ]

Vintage shirt sewed from a vintage pattern on a vintage sewing machine ~ how cool is that?!!!

I try tokeep it old school as much as possible.

GREAT STUFF LADY!

W

Dawn, I am really really looking forward to getting my shirts. Really!

Thank you for taking the time to do this for me, can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Best,
Chris

Got my shirts yesterday, they are great!

YAY! thanks for posting a pic too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies