Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

The canibal forks are taken from actual forks that are in the Museum of Fiji in Suva. I used to live in Fiji and did some work for the museum there. Thats where I fell in love with tapa patterns. I have lots of pics of the canibal forks. and the Fiji Museum catalogue is a must have reference book for me.. Dawn

Heres something I just did yesterday, This is for Chongolio's raffle

[ Edited by: sophista-tiki 2007-08-03 12:31 ]

D

here's mine ~ although im not sure this will be its final spot in the Rongorongo Room. everything changes!

Hi all, I just finished framing about a dozen pieces. I wanted to post the picture of the Ohana Hut raffle prize so that Psycho Tiki D could have a look at whats coming in the mail! also Im posting a pic of another painting that just sold. Im making all the frames out of recycled wood scavenged from driving around my hood and craigslist free section. next thing on my plate will be the decorative tikiness for my newly built fence. thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes my way. I LOVE birthday wishes! I get to go eat cake tomorrow at Dogbytes house. EEEEEEE I cant wait Dawn

i really dig the frames, dawn. the perfect finish to your great art. i finally got around to ordering a frame for the watercolor study you sent to me a few months ago. i'll post a pic in my collecting thread when it's hung. mahalo, bullet

oh yeah, happy birthday!

Dawn,

Great job on the raffle prize, I can't wait to get this! I think it might be lonely so what do you have left to accompany this? Let me know?

Thanks,

PTD

Thanks! I have piles of paintings sitting around my house. Not enough wall space to get everything up. and there is always something new. There are a few pieces that were in recent shows that are available. I have the watercolor from te London Luau coming back, I also have two pieces that are in Tiki Art Now Three, and I have the watercolor from Taboo the Art of Tiki. I also still have the originals that were in a long ago Tiki News issue. its all available for purchase.

On 2007-09-20 17:46, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Thanks! I have piles of paintings sitting around my house. Not enough wall space to get everything up. and there is always something new. There are a few pieces that were in recent shows that are available. I have the watercolor from te London Luau coming back, I also have two pieces that are in Tiki Art Now Three, and I have the watercolor from Taboo the Art of Tiki. I also still have the originals that were in a long ago Tiki News issue. its all available for purchase.

Dawn,

Do you have pics posted anywhere or they the ones in this thread? If they are the ones in this thread, can you tell which ones are still available?

Thanks,

PTD

Hey PTD!
There's a great collection of Dawn's pieces on her mySpace photos....
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=147958825&albumId=0
You might have to be her friend (some users set their photos to "private")
but i can vouch for her! Enjoy! There's a lotta BEAUTIFUL art there! :D

On 2007-09-25 08:50, little lost tiki wrote:
Hey PTD!
There's a great collection of Dawn's pieces on her mySpace photos....
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=147958825&albumId=0
You might have to be her friend (some users set their photos to "private")
but i can vouch for her! Enjoy! There's a lotta BEAUTIFUL art there! :D

Thanks for the site, I'll check it when I get home since I can't get through the security block at work!

PTD

We put up our new Dawn Frasier art last weekend and they seem right at home in our little brick shack. (the *Derek meets Dawn collaboration worked out beautifully!) THANK YOU DAWN! Your artwork is all Aces in our hands! You're the best - CHEERS! Tiki Joe's Pop, Mom & Joey himself....

very bright and creative use of design ,very refreshing

Bula Vinaka kids!
I have had many people asking me what I've been up to lately. for the past few months I have been working on building out my vacation rental. I did not want to post stupid progress pics of framing ,electrical and drywall. Boring, so..... this week I finally made enough progress to show what its gonna look like. Please keep in mind that I am not following the "formula" for creating the look of an old school tiki bar. As always I have my own vision.
here's a couple of pics. I STILL HAVE A LOT TO DO so don't be all critically and shit
because I guarantee it will be super cool when I'm done.

oops forgot the pics doh!

before walls

after walls

the vintage cedar ceiling tiles. the blank spaces are getting squares of woven mat
this is just in the livingroom. I should be getting the floor down in the resyt of the apt. this weekend.

C

Go Dawn Go !!

Im just posting a couple of pics of the living room in the Bamboo Grove. I am just a couple of bamboo stalks away from completeing the big wall I made some goofy fake stone planter boxes today that will get fake monstera leaves tomorow

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-01-29 17:07 ]

J

On 2008-01-29 16:49, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Im just posting a couple of pics of the living room in the Bamboo Grove.

Hey Sophista-tiki! I always LOVE what you do to rooms! How i wish i had a MCM house! Great job! :)

Thanks Its just going to keep getting better. building the bar is next! dawn

H

WOW!!! Shame on me for not keepin' up w/ you--you have been a BUSY gal! Your paintings (and frames) are knockout all the way as usual and that room...what can I say? How about WOW again, otherwise, I'm left speechless. That Frankl furniture looks sooo at home there. That color wash(?) on the wall has a very serene vibe to it. Your stonework looks way fab as well :wink: Can't wait to see more.

you so RAD!
Great job Dawn!
Can't wait to see what the Bar's gonna look like!
All that hard work is Paying Off!
Three Cheers for Dawn!

you guys are silly . Im blushing, and I Cant WAIT to show off the bar. Ive got it all imagined now I just have to figure out how Im gonna make it.
and FYI everything Ive done has been with scavanged materials, here in Seattle recycling is manditory! I take it as a challenge!

Beautiful stuff, Dawn! I like those faux-stone planter boxes too!

Looks totally awesome Dawn!! I can't wait to see the bar!

H
harro posted on Thu, Jan 31, 2008 4:34 AM

love the vibe of the room dawn - great work!! the wall treatment is ace.

and its extra special using recycled materials too. look forward to more pics!

harro.

Thanks all, the kind words are motivating me to get busy and finish up. Ive been struggling with my natural tendancy to hibernate in the winter. I still feel lazy and sleepy but now Im inspired! anybody wanna come over and help me run some ply through the table saw? Dawn

Aloha Dawn!!!
Your room looks Great and your art is aweasome, you are a very talented Artist!,thanks for sharin, Aloha, Mooney

ITS A BAR!!!! well almost I ran out of contact cement, and its late and Im kinda loopy from the glue fumes. But I got the thing built and attacted to the wall. the decorating part will happen tomorow. so heres the pics. Dawn

big mess before bar

3 hrs later Its a bar

another 3 hrs later half of that time was spent just staring at it while I was getting high from the glue.
Finely woven lahala mat stuck on the front and sides.
Tomorow I will trim it out in bamboo and add the decoration to the front
Im gona spend the rest of the evening making lamp shades

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-02-04 19:40 ]

you Go GURL!
Wow! You're like a version of Tiki Home Improvement!
It just gets better and better!
Hooray for Dawn!
PM me the brand of glue you're using...
it may help inspire a few paintings! :lol:

G

Okay, I admit I'm no build-it-yourself guru, but what exactly is holding up that front corner of the bar? The room looks spectacular by the way. I LOVE the mural!

When I imagined the bar I wanted it to look like it was floating. not the traditional bar that would go all the way to the floor. Havng it suspended like that helps make the room look more open. and also gives more of a mid century feel. After all my house is a 1954 modern. So what I did was screw it into that big post, and added a couple of screws to the back wall. then I just needed that one hair pin leg to hold up the front corner . Its very stable. but I wouldnt dance on top of it. I got the top cut yesterday and it looks fantastic. I will post some more pics tonight dawn

I just finished my piece for the TC art swap. I'm posting here for those who dont look in the carving section. Im also posting pics of a couple of simple decor pieces that Ive completed for The Bamboo Grove of Westwood

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-03-27 16:42 ]

Dawn!
All three of those are WINNERS!
So stoked i might have a chance to get that first one in the swap...
beautiful colors/texture-great upclose detail with the hatching!
the second one is very sweet and makes me want to lay on a couch
and doze off while enjoying it....
That third one made my jaw drop...
a perfect blend of dawn,Modernism,design,balance,colors,subtle texture and dimension,
just very swanky cool! tiki...but not...but kinda..very cool!
would love to see you apply that modernist sensibility to a tiki totem piece....
Lovin this latest work...a lot!

LLT,THANKS DUDE. The painting for the swap is watercolor , ink, and guache on hot press paper. All of the pieces for the Bamboo Grove are made from gator board that I scavenged for free and done with house paints. That big one is in the bedroom, so its good that it makes you feel like lounging and relaxing. As soon as I finish building the platform beds i will post a picture of the entire bedroom so you can get all of the tiki modern pieces in context . Its really coming along nicely. Slow but nice. I just made the tapered legs for the bed last night from a found piece of 4x4 cedar post. Dawn

I love them all too! The large one is so HiP! They all are I love the tiki modernism, more, more!

I was really pleased with my swap piece so I had to make a few more.

Aloha Sophista-tiki!
Now that is a nice bunch of art! Keep em coming,Aloha, Mooney

great new work!
Glad the maori theme inspired a BUNCH of great work!
every one's a Classic!

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2008 6:22 AM

Sophista, Your house is awesome. It's like you get to live inside one of your painting.

F

Great work, I love the maori style and the wall on the bar. The shields are awesome, very cool how they transition into the center shield.

Very nice work. I like all the textures you have going in the maori paintings. Some of your best!

Thanks for looking everyone. Im on the mad dash to make as many pieces as I can for the parking lot sale. I feel like Ive finally come out of the winter hibernation fog. When I start really painting again this time of year I find that my work gets one step better. By the time Im 60 I should finally have it down.! I do feel like Im living in a big art piece er at my house. I like the completely imersive environment. just wait until I complete all of my visions I have for this place, Then its really gonna be cool.
Anyway heres the next batch I just finished inking. as usual my pictues are less than perfect

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-04-08 10:21 ]

Fudge GURL!
Another great Batch!
Especially lovin the second to the last PNG one!
GO GO GADJET!

Looking SWELL Dawn!!

heres te next 2

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2008 3:38 AM

Holy sh!t, did Kinny hook you up with a case of ZIPFIZZ or something? Wicked stuff Dawn! Eclectic choice of subjects and I love the blue/green washes mixed with the wood tones. The lil' moko you posted last is the icing on the cake!

another batch of fresh ones. one of the full spectrum bulbs in my desk lamp went out tonigh so The color on these pics is off. I will re shoot them tomorow after I go to the depot and get a new bulb. But for now ....

H

Kickin' some serious ar$e on the paints!! My goodness! Wish I could be @ the parking lot sale--you left coasters got it made in the tiki shade.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies