Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Horror That Is Margaritaville

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

That's so funny! "What do you mean the band in the rec room is playing 40's era swing? THAT'S NOT TIKI!"

T

Good gravy no!!!!!

There's a rat in the kitchen! What I'm a gonna do?

Heh. It has always amused me that even Buffett fans have problems with Jimmy. I have no problem admitting I like a lot of his music, and he seems like a decent fellow, but the commercial sprawl has gotten way out of hand. :)

H

As a lifelong fan of the works of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, I found myself at the Woody Creek Tavern while we were in Aspen.

Now I get that HST would despise pretty much everything about me and that the only thing we had in common was an admiration of the brutal use of the English language (so well used at the start of this thread to describe a hideous dining experience).

But what the Woody Creek Tavern has become would sicken him even more than my existence on this orb. $12 hamburgers, kitschy HST memorabilia on the walls, bumper stickers and tee shirts. Tables crowding the floor, overflow seating outside. Children everywhere you looked and worst of all, a no smoking sign by the door.

Rubes. We were all rubes lined up to drop $70 for lunch on a Tuesday, just so we could say that we had a bite to eat at the place where Thompson would start off the day (at seven p.m.) with margaritas and cheeseburgers.

B

New Margaritaville amusement park in East Biloxi,

Sun Herald:New Margaritaville amusement park

His empire keeps expanding. There is just no stopping it!

Margaritaville Island Resort coming to San Diego

The Musical!?

Escape to Margaritaville

And then there's this: https://www.cruisehive.com/margaritaville-at-sea-begins-guest-sailings-from-port-of-palm-beach/72042

I still love Jimmy, but the brand has become so diluted I'm not sure what it stands for now other than turning the crank on the money machine.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies