Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ray's Mistake

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies

I

I think you are correct, Registered Astronaut…

After making my drinks last night, I don’t think there is orgeat in this drink either. And I believe it’s a pretty simple drink as well. However, I still believe that Crème de Noyaux is in the drink. It explains the almond flavoring most people experience and makes the drink the correct color too. Crème de Noyaux is bright red and would explain why some people’s drink are redder than others. If too much was poured, it would take over the color of the drink in a heart beat. Plus Tiki-Ti uses an almond flavoring in other drinks like the Pearl Diver and I have no doubt it’s Crème de Noyaux.

I think the Passion Fruit Syrup and Crème de Noyaux are simply mixed together in one bottle. It explains Rawim’s observation of a red/brownish liquid being poured. I think the white rum and gin are mixed together in one bottle as well. And Rawim’s account for a yellow/creamish liquid is probably just lime juice.

So, I’m going with:

1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux (Almond) Hiram Walker
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz Club Soda
And a Float of Coruba Rum

The only question left for me is: Is there a vanilla note in the drink? If that’s the case, the simple syrup pour would simply be replaced with a vanilla syrup pour.

~ickytiki

R
Rawim posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 1:22 PM

ickytiki

The recipe you have come up with is scary close to my working recipe (Which I have been tinkering with for the last 6 months) It is away at home, but I put it up tonight so we can compare notes.

I think there is a vanilla note. But I think that is easily fixed with just a few drops of vanilla extract, which can easily be added to any syrups used. I do have the same color issue as you have with the color. the hiram walker creme de almond really throws things off color wise.

I noticed behind the bar Saturday the bottle of creme de noyaux was Bols which is still that bright red color. I can only then wonder if some amaretto is maybe used. in one of the mixes. because there is clearly an almond essence in the drink. orgeat/ creme de noyaux / amaretto....not sure, i figure they would go with whatever is cheapest which leads me to think commercial orgeat.

I

~Rawim

My last Ray's Mistake recipe above is a GREAT color. After making it, I compared it to the drink pictured on Tiki-Ti's web site. It looked the same to me... Plus it adds the almond flavor that's needed for the drink. I think it's dead on, man. I strongly think Creme de Noyaux is the answer and 1/2 an ounce worked perfectly... A nice orange-ish red, brown color was achieved.

I believe the above recipe's ingredients are close too. Maybe a minor tweak on amounts. I think that you could either use a vanilla syrup instead of simple syrup or simply add two or three drops of vanilla extract to add the missing vanilla flavor to the recipe.

All I know is the above recipe tastes GREAT!!! I made it for a small group and they all loved it.

I'll add a vanilla flavor next time for sure though. Hopefully this can help others that are not in the LA area at least experience something that is similiar to the wonderful concoction!

~ickytiki

D

That's gonna be a big ass drink. Sign me up! :)

MM

I should preface this post by saying that I've been to the Tiki Ti exactly once, last summer when I was in LA visiting family. So I'm not the expert on the place or the drinks that some of you obviously are. I had a couple of Ray's Mistakes while I was there, though, and they made enough of an impression on me that I don't feel completely out of line adding a couple of observations to this thread.

I made ickytiki's recipe last night and it tastes very similar to what I remember RM tasting like; the color is also very close.

That said, it strikes me as being too sweet. I used a homemade passion fruit syrup (equal parts Goya pulp and simple syrup) instead of Finest Call, so that might be an issue, but I found it cloyingly sweet--unbalanced in a way that I don't remember RM being. Considering the amount of passion fruit syrup and creme de noyeux in the drink, I'd dial the simple syrup back to 1/2 oz. at least.

With regards to the question of the vanilla note, I think subbing in vanilla syrup for the simple would be a mistake. The commercial brands of vanilla syrup I've tried (Fees, etc.) would completely take over the drink at 1 oz, or even a half ounce. A few drops of vanilla extract makes more sense. Or, here's another thought: what about using rock candy syrup in place of the simple? The Fees brand has a subtle vanilla note that might do the trick (you'll definitely want to cut back on the amount, though, since it's a rich simple syrup).

Just my 2 cents.

And a question: I can't remember from my visit, but I noticed from the pics online that the Coruba float seems to be more incorporated in the final drink than floats usually are. It's obviously not carefully layered on top. It must be a "rough" pour in--or do they give it a quick stir with the straw to mix it in? And a question about ice. It's served with crushed ice, but do they shake with cubes and strain it over fresh ice or shake with crushed and pour unstrained into the glass? Just curious. Thinking about dilution and the impact it might have on the flavors of the finished drink.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but was Ray trying to make, when the Ray's Mistake occurred?

R
Rawim posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2012 9:06 AM

I believe the story is Ray was trying to make an Anting Anting when he used the wrong syrups.

Here's a picture, just so you know what the goal is.

Great thread! I agree, the recipe icky tiki posted sounds a little sweet, bit it is REALLY CLOSE. I just made me with 3/4 oz. passion fruit syrup and 3/4 oz. sugar syrup and it was pretty damn good. Best of all, I now have a means of using up my Creme de Noyaux. Excellent work, gentlemen!

I just made one, not I just made "me." Yeah this drink is working out nicely... Good research.

R
Rawim posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2012 1:55 PM

I have been tinkering with ickytiki's and mine own recipe all weekend. Will probably make a few more runs tonight then present my imitation.

But yes, on the whole I think we are doing well.

I have reformulated a bit going with Finest Call brand Orgeat (As I think it may be what is used, it actually does have similar note to the Hiram Walker Creme de noyueax we have been using, and the creme de noyueax just makes the drink too darn red.)

My only problem is while I am getting close on flavor, my drink color is too pale, I get a pale green and not the dark yellow for the drink.

The color I imagine comes form the reddish/brown syrup used in the drink manufacture. I try to imagine what would give that color and keep the same flavor profile we are after.

I've never had the pleasure to try one at the Tiki Ti, so I'm just throwing stuff out... is it possible there is a dash or two of Angostura bitters in it? It sometimes adds a reddish-brown "cherry wood" color to a drink. Coupled with the orangy-yellow of FC Passion Fruit puree, it might produce the color you're after.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-05-01 10:06 ]

W

On page 6 it was stated that someone observed "a pour of yellowish stuff from an unmarked bottle".

How about this, which I find is sold in California.

[ Edited by: WestADad 2012-05-03 10:57 ]

I

Hmmm...

There is something red added to the drink for sure. Otherwise the recipe comes out "Tang" orange. So I think my last recipe is close using the Creme de Noyaux. I added 3 drops of Vanilla Extact and bumped up the Club Soda to 2 ounces of Club Soda on my last attempt and it was GREAT!

So...

1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux (Almond) Hiram Walker
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

The only other thing I can come up with would be:

1 oz White Rum
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/2 oz Grenadine (Another Red Syrup)
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

Anybody??? (haha!)

~ickytiki

What do you suppose is the mistake in Ray's Mistake? The gin? All those ingredients are typical of exotic drinks, except Creme de Noyaux.

supposedly Ray was making an Anting Anting but grabbed "the wrong two syrups."

pretty sure from all that's written here that one half of the "Mistake" is the passionfruit syrup.

we need these guys to break down the Anting anting for us...

I

Okay... I just made the following recipe:

1 oz White Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/4 oz Grenadine (Torani - Pomegranate Syrup)
3 Drops of McCormick Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of McCormick Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

Shake all ingredients together (except Coruba Rum) with crushed ice and pour unrestrained into glass... add Coruba Rum float.

It's the best one yet!

Once again, feedback is needed!

~ickytiki

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 7, 2012 9:46 AM

Good work, folks.

I'm so far removed from having tasted it that I can't comment except to say.

They all taste good and the balance I remember is getting closer.

Mahalo.

So close, so very very close. Tone down the sweetness a bit. Ichy is as close as we are gonna get to it I think. I have to do more research. It helps to live close to TikiTi!

[ Edited by: Redcoltken 2012-05-22 22:25 ]

I haven't tried Ickytiki's recipe yet, but I do question two of the ingredients: the drops of vanilla and almond extract. Somehow I imagine that those flavors might be handled by a specific mixture of Orgeat and vanilla syrups ( that "yellowish" bottle of something mentioned in this thread? and maybe omitting the simple syrup?) rather than by drops of extract. Just a suggestion that may account for the flavors while at the same time toning down the sweetness.
Just a suggestion.

R
Rawim posted on Wed, May 23, 2012 9:47 AM

I agree, I think the almond comes form orgeat, the vanilla probably comes from an extract and is just a component in one of the syrups.

I

Aloha!

I'm not claiming in any way that I cracked the mystery of the Ray's Mistake. :)

I am simply trying to chase the flavors of the drink...

I have no doubt that Vanilla Syrup could replace my Simple Syrup/Vanilla Extract combination... Vanilla Syrup grabbed instead of Simple Syrup makes sense because they are the same color. Plus a similiar flavor is produced.

Or...

Creme de Noyaux grabbed instead of using my Grenadine/Almond Extract mix. Once again, if the Creme de Noyaux was grabbed instead of Grenadine, that mistake would produce the almond flavor of the drink.

So...

If the drink has a couple of syrup mistakes... Vanilla Syrup & Creme de Noyaux still make sense. It was a mistake afterall!!!

However, wouldn't adding Orgeat to this drink make it even sweeter and cloudier? Please send your thoughts.

~ickytiki

B
BH posted on Sat, May 26, 2012 12:15 PM

I had the pleasure of enjoying some drinks at Tiki-Ti this past Wednesday and my first drink of the night was a Ray's Mistake. Without having tried it yet, this recipe definitely looks to be on the right track. I plan on making the recipe later today and will provide feedback once I've tasted it, but in the meantime I have two questions: 1) I've always felt a combination of Pineapple and Orange Juice was in the drink, have you considered this? and 2) The drink seems to possess an orange liquor flavor in the background, could it possibly contain Orange Curacao or Triple Sec? One of my favorite Tiki-Ti drinks is the Jim's Special and that drink is approximated very well using (as per the Bum's suggestion in Sippin' Safari) a mixture of 0.50oz Orange Curacao with 0.25oz Orgeat and 0.25oz Simple Syrup. I believe Tiki-Ti calls this combination of ingredients their Mai-Tai Mix and I think it's possible that Mai-Tai Mix was one of the syrups mistakenly added when Ray was making an Anting Anting and accidentally discovered the Ray's Mistake.

One last comment: I think it will be very hard to replicate this drink using fresh squeezed lime juice, as opposed to the frozen lime juice used at the Tiki-Ti for many of their cocktails, including the Ray's Mistake. In my opinion frozen lime juice imparts a very specific (and somewhat artificial) flavor to the cocktails and gives them a much different flavor than fresh-squeezed would.

B
BH posted on Sat, May 26, 2012 3:47 PM

Ok, here's the promised follow-up:

I tried ickytiki's recipe and it's an admirable attempt and a very good drink. I think it's a little too sweet and we need to find a way to dial down the sweetness without making the drink overly sour, but a great effort overall. Also, I do not think this drink contains grenadine. I'm using Trader Vic's, which through experimentation I've concluded is the best, and I am getting a pink color even using just a teaspoon. The Ray's Mistake definitely is not pink. Also, I am starting to think that the only reason Tiki-Ti uses club soda in just about every drink is to offset the frozen lime juice. I am using fresh-squeezed lime juice and not getting any foam on this drink. I made one version where I incorporated orange and pineapple juice (usually pineapple juice creates a lot of foam) and mixed it with a 100-watt upright mixer and got zero foam. I think the club soda is killing the foam. So for me, I'm not using club soda any longer in trying to recreate this drink. Since I just mentioned the OJ and pineapple juice that I tried, it's a good time to mention that I do not think the drink has orange juice in it. I can't rule out pineapple juice yet, but OJ is definitely out in my opinion. Overall I'm leaning towards the original recipe posted by ickytiki, but without the grenadine and club soda, and I want to tweak it further from there.

I

Okay... Okay...

Another attempt!

After many, many trials, I came up with a beautifully balanced drink. I agree that my other recipes were too sweet. Once again, I'm not claiming to unlock the secrets of the Ray's Mistake... Just obtain the right flavors.

Try this one out!!! I was shocked how wonderful the final results were...

¾ oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
¾ oz White Rum (Cruzan)
¾ oz Gin (Barton’s)
1/8 oz Pomegranate Syrup (Torani)
½ oz Lime Juice
¼ oz Vanilla Syrup (Torani)
¼ oz Orgeat (Monin)
3 oz Club Soda
Float Coruba Rum

Pour all the ingredients into your shaker except the Club Soda and Coruba Rum. Add about six ounces of crushed ice. Pour the Club Soda on top of the ice and give your shaker a few shakes. Pour everything, unrestrained, into a pint glass and float the Coruba Rum.

This produces an amazing, refreshing drink!!! It's a lot lighter than my previous attempts and the flavors melt into each other.

~ickytiki

B

I tried this recipe and I like it a lot. I like your previous sweeter version to, but this one is very refreshing and very easy to drink.

That being said, I must admit I've never been to the Tiki-Ti. I just like that drink on its on merit.

Here in Montreal, Coruba is unavailable. I'm subbing other dark rum like Appleton 12 years and Pusser. Any advice on what should I use?

Thank you for your work.

As I have never been to the Tiki Ti but have followed in the forum the fuss and bother about this particular drunk. Last night I made this latest version (the ONLY version I've tried) with the following exceptions to the published recipe:

Passion fruit syrup - Used my own home made - the Bum's recipe using frozen pulp.
Gin: Used Beefeater London Dry - Barton's isn't found around here.
Vanilla Syrup: Used Fee's French Vanilla - it's what I have on hand
Orgeat: I used French Teisseire brand which I prefer above all others I've tried

Everything else remained as posted. NOW I understand what all the fuss and bother was about! It is a very well-blended, balanced and refreshing drink.
I've read most of the posts regarding this drink and certainly would like to know what the final word is on what was the actual "mistake".

Fantastic job, ickytiki!

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2012-06-23 07:56 ]

I wonder,... has Mike ever gotten distracted, while mixing a Ray's Mistake, and accidentally made an Anting Anting?

R
Rawim posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 3:23 PM

Ha!

OK, i made these two versions of the Ray's Mistake simulations:

the Registered Astronaut ("R.A.") version from page 7 of this thread, and the second Icky Tiki ("I.T.") version from page 8 of this thread (but omitting the grenadine), to wit:

On 2012-04-24 22:34, Registered Astronaut wrote:
sounds like a good tiki drink, but from further research, I have deduced that the drink is simply
1 ounce lime juice
1 ounce passion syrup
1ounce simple syrup
1 generous ounce of gin
splash club soda
shake, pour, top with coruba

The white syrup that we all thought was orgeat or creme de noyaux is just plain simple syrup. Follow the simple syrup bottle with your eyes at the tiki ti and will see it can't be orgeat or Creme De Noyaux because they use it in drinks that call for neither of those things.

I encourage further research but for me at least the case is closed. I've watched too many of them get made at this point.

On 2012-05-06 12:02, ickytiki wrote:
Okay... I just made the following recipe:

1 oz White Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Barton's Gin
1/4 oz Grenadine (Torani - Pomegranate Syrup)
3 Drops of McCormick Vanilla Extract
3 Drops of McCormick Almond Extract
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Club Soda

Shake all ingredients together (except Coruba Rum) with crushed ice and pour unrestrained into glass... add Coruba Rum float.

It's the best one yet!

Once again, feedback is needed!

~ickytiki

these were both excellent drinks!

my wife and I sampled these drinks. oddly, the I.T. version tasted sweeter to each of us, even though it contained less simple syrup than the R.A. version. I think the extra seltzer water in I.T.'s version somehow emphasizes the sweetness more, OR, the sweetness difference shows that there's no vanilla/almond additives to the drink. I had no Coruba on hand, and tried to approximate it by mixing Gosling's black seal with El Dorado dark; in any event, the R.A. version had notes of vanilla/almond even though no such additives were in the drink.

I used 2 ounces of gin in the R.A. recipe, and still (with each recipe) didnt pick up any "herbal" or "botanic" notes. We know that one of the "wrong" syrups in this drink is passionfruit syrup; i'm wondering if it's the other "wrong" syrup, and not the gin, that imparts the strong herbal flavors many observers have noted in the Mistake.

I agree with others that, based on the photographic evidence, there is no grenadine, creme de noyeaux, or other red liqueur in the drink.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-07-02 22:03 ]

R
Rawim posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2012 8:39 AM

Porpoise,

I agree on the red as I have been to the Ti a few times since resurrecting research and there is really no red. The color comes from the the syrup they use that is a fairly dark brown in the bottle, but then lightens up to the dark yellow we see in the final drink.

My original idea using creme de noyeaux was because of the flavor profile it had which was similar to what the drink gives. But even the tiniest amount of creme de noyeaux gives the drink a definite pink to red hue, which is obviously not part of the drink.

Which points me to Finest Call Orgeat (Finest Call being their choice of grenadine and bloody mary mix), which I think they use, but not in full strength. Out of the bottle the stuff is just way too sweet and far cloudier then any syrups they have in their bottles. But the finest call brand orgeat flavor is pretty disticnt and I don't doubt it being an ingredient. I think they use the orgeat watered down at perhaps a 1:1 ratio with water for their almond flavor.

What I am still working on is how to replicate the flavor of lime, which they get from frozen lime juice, it may be sacrilege but perhaps I should try bottled lime juice, and then I am still not totally sure what is used for the Tiki-Ti's passion fruit flavor. My feeling would be it is Finest Call passion fruit puree watered down or mixed wiht something else, but I am just not sure. Research continues.

I

Yep... Nothing red in this drink!

I was using an older stash of Passion Fruit Syrup... It was way, way, way more brown previously. The new stuff that I just bought is more yellow than any other color. (Banana Yellow!) And if you add the slightest, red colored flavoring or liquor you get a pink drink. So that eliminates the Grenadine or Creme de Noyaux all together.

I've also backed off the Club Soda a bit to just 2 ounces. So, here's the latest version:

¾ oz Passion Fruit Syrup (Finest Call)
¾ oz White Rum (Cruzan)
¾ oz Gin (Barton’s)
½ oz Fresh Lime Juice (Or from Frozen Concentrate)
¼ oz Vanilla Syrup (Torani)
¼ oz Monin Orgeat (Or Finest Call)
2 oz Club Soda
Float Coruba Rum

Pour all the ingredients into your favorite shaker save the Club Soda and Coruba Rum. Add about six ounces of crushed ice. Shake the mistake and pour it, unrestrained, into a pint glass. Add the club soda and give it a stir and then float the Coruba Rum.

Okay folks... Let's hear the verdict... Is this the closest yet???

~icky

[ Edited by: ickytiki 2012-08-05 15:23 ]

J
Jeje posted on Sun, Nov 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Dear ickytiki, I have never had a "real" Ray's Mistake but I find your drink very tasty and unique. One thing that I noticed though was that the last few sips of the drink gets too watered down to my taste. I made some tweaks that I think makes your drink even tastier:

1/2 oz passion fruit syrup (home made)*
3/4 oz light rum (I used Havana Club)
3/4 oz gin (I used Bombay)
3/4 oz lime juice*
1/4 oz vanilla syrup (home made)
1/4 oz Orgeat (I used Monin)*
1 oz club soda*
1/2 oz dark Coruba (float)

Shake everything except soda with 1 cup crushed ice.
Pour unstrained into glass.
Stir in soda.
If necessary, add more ice to fill glass. Float coruba.

*=tweaks

I have no idea if this is cloaser to the real mistake, but I find this tastier:-)

[ Edited by: Jeje 2012-11-21 09:50 ]

Anyone still playing with Ray's Mistake? I'm still thrown off by the color as some pictures of the drink are clearly red tinted and yet some others are yellowish. One of these days I'll get to the Tiki Ti and have one from the Masters!

I've been thoroughly enjoying the following attempt at home though:

1 ounce Sweetbird Passion Fruit syrup
1.25 ounce Bombay Sapphire gin
1 ounce white Puerto Rican rum
1 ounce lime juice, fresh squeezed
Half ounce Bols Creme De Noyaux (mostly for that bit of red color)
Half ounce simple syrup made from turbinado sugar
1 ounce Club Soda
Generous splash of Coruba on top

Cheers!

Chris

On 2012-04-27 09:15, Bora Boris wrote:
Here's a picture, just so you know what the goal is.

I'm now longing for an inanimate object.

Wish I had one right now! To hell with work!

Chris

Well, I actually got out of bed to make this cause you all made me thirsty. I went with:

3/4 oz of Torani passion fruit syrup
juice of one small lime
1/2 oz Sonoma vanilla-almond syrup
1/4 oz Sonoma Syrup grenadine
1 oz Cruzan white
1 oz Tanqueray
2 oz club soda
LH151 float

. . . not bad at all :) I should have used more ice, cut the passion fruit down to 1/2 oz and up-ed the vanilla-almond to 3/4 oz . . . next one . . .

R
Rawim posted on Fri, Mar 1, 2013 8:52 PM

The drink in its finished form is certainly a dirty yellow. The color comes from a brown syrup that is used as an ingredient (And I still can't figure what is in it, but it is used in multiple drinks).

From what I can figure the ingredients include: Finest Call Orgeat (Probably cut in half with water guessing by the color in the bottle they use and the flavor profile), Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree mix (also cut in half most likely), their mix of light rum and gin, their lime juice (not fresh), possibly some simple syrup, their brown syrup, some club soda, and of course a coruba float.

Using most of those ingredients you get pretty damnable close, but the color is too pale, due to the lack of brown syrup of course. So any ideas regarding what the makeup of the brown syrup could help us make progress.

HT

I finally got a chance to sit down and read the entire thread. I'd like to thank you all for the time, effort, and work you've put into it so far.

So what makes a syrup brown? i can think about demerara or muscovado sugars, coke, nuts, coffee, roots and spices? i have never had that drink so i have no idea what it could be..but i been fascinated by this subject for years..lol

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2013-03-07 04:00 ]

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2013-03-07 04:00 ]

R
Rawim posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 8:57 PM

Yeah, I have had that question rolling around in my head for quite a while. It isn't a spice of any kind, not coffee or nutty flavor. It might be a brown sugar syrup of some time. Thinking back they don't use a specific passion fruit syrup/puree. So I wonder if they maybe just mix the passion fruit puree with some dark rum and water to thin it out and darken it up. The only thing that was keeping me back on this was was that adding booze to a syrup raises costs. And this drink is probably relatively cheap when they sell it for 6 bucks on Wednesdays. Further experimentation will happen this weekend.

I think booze in the syrup is out of the question, like you said, too expensive. Maybe they make a syrup with different sugars? for example there´s light, medium and dark muscovado sugars and the dark for example does have some liqorice flavors in it mingled with a heavy molasses flavor while the medium lack the liqorice and have a lighter and if possible? sweeter taste and the light muscovado is to me even lighter in the molasses type flavor.

I made a syrup once with all 3 of them where the biggest part was the medium dark muscovado.

Then again when i think about it i dont think they made muscovado syrup with the 3 types, it´s just an idea of what direction im thinking...

H

Just to get back to what actually is poured at Tiki T according to PiPhiRho from previous post,

"I have watched the Mike's mix this drink many times. It is always mixed from unmarked bottles, except for the Coruba. the recipe is this":

• a pour of clear stuff from an unmarked bottle
  • a pour of yellow stuff from an unmarked bottle
  • a pour of red stuff from an unmarked bottle
  • maybe something secret down below the counter
  • a splash of soda water (as with almost all the drinks they make)
  • Shake, pour and strain into a highball glass
  • float with Coruba

This is what I saw and I actually took notes

half a jigger of a creamy color (orgeat color) thing
half a jigger of a reddish purplish color (watered down grape juice color) thingy, this one was thick, he kept on tapping it in order to pour it
half a jigger simple syrup
one jigger white alcohol
splash of soda
Coruba on top

go figure.

HT

bump

A

So....

1 oz Gin
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Ray's Mistake mystery mix
Splash of Soda Water
Float of Coruba Rum

Yes?

R
Rawim posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2013 9:48 PM

Pretty much.

The spirit component I am pretty sure is a mix of gin and white rum. As it is dispensed out of used liqour bottles. You can tell as the bottle show quite a bit more wear then others behind the bar.

And while hiltiki and I remember the ingredients differently, I would say:

Jigged of spirit
An almost clear syrup that I would think is simple syrup
An opaque syrup that I tend to think is finest call orgeat cut in half
Brown syrup that turns a dirty yellow when diluted
Healthy spalsh of club soda to thin things out
Mix with crushed ice
Pour and float coruba

The problems I run into:
where does the lime and passion fruit flavor come from as there is no pour from one of the dedicated juice bottles. I can only assume this is in the brown mix. Second it also does not name since to have simple syrup and orgeat with the lime and the passion fruit. Drink would be way too sweet.

So that is where I am in my research.

some have said their lime is from frozen limeade concentrate which could be the opaque syrup.

also, several companies sell reddish brown passionfruit syrups...

C

I was at Tiki Ti last night with the goal of identifying the mystery ingredient. I tasted lime and pineapple and passion fruit but there was a sweet note that didn't taste like a liqueur. I believe that Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper syrup is used, and that would give the brownish color and spicy sweet tang that I'm tasting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 227 replies