Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Hala Kahiki, River Grove, IL (bar)

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

Wow, Tiki overload! One can never have too much Tiki. And you deserve a vacation! Please shoot pictures and post em here, I love hearing from the Hala Kahiki, it does not get enough attention here. But don't block all the furniture! :D

And please tell them that Tiki Modern is running out of print, in case they don't have enough, they need to get their hands on the affordable copies before they get BOT-expensive.

Just got back home from my trip to Chicago. As It is always great going to the Hala Kahiki,it was even better seeing friends from childhood there and then having front row seats the next day for the cubs game........p.s. I got to touch the stanley cup when the blackhawks were walking the fiend Sunday. So enjoy the photo's I took and I hope you don't mind the cub's one I threw in.

As I do love the place I see the formula that makes them work has always been the very sweet versions of cocktails. I don't think The Tiki-Ti has anything to worry about cocktail wise. But if you are looking for a crowd of good looking girl's who just turned 21 then this is your place.

Sounds like a very fun trip Rory .Thanks for posting all the great pics.
I have always wanted to go to Wrigley field.

J

Business meeting in Chicago, Yes!!

Which means...

I'll be at the Hala Kahiki on Mon, May 2nd. :)

A full site visit report will be forthcoming....

And here it is - Hala Kahiki trip report

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-08 19:24 ]

I
IKABOD posted on Sun, May 8, 2011 6:15 PM

Shame on me for not looking at the post sooner! On a business trip in Chicago! Little did I know my drive to Oak Park would allow me to "stumble" upon the Hala Hahiki lounge! I'm only here for two more days as my flight is Tuesday at 6pm! So that mean I'll be having a nightcap at the Hala Hahiki around 7ish. Anyone else going to be in the area I'll be there!

I

Correction its called the Hala Kahiki! Well anyway I was able to make my way to the local tiki establishment, and generally I was impressed. The drinks where very reasonable and where well done. I have enclosed some snaps for you to enjoy.

ik

I

The snaps

I just went here for the first time last week. Had less than one full day in Chicago so I hit Paradise Club, Hala Kahiki, and then dinner at Chef Shangri La. I was so charmed by the decor and the friendly staff at Hala Kahiki. The atmosphere is just perfect, and exactly what I would love to have if I opened a bar. Great gift shop, too. I have family in Milwaukee, so I'll just have to make this place a must-stop evrey time I drive through.

50% off drinks - great deal, so hurry!

http://www.icoupononline.com/chicago?aff_id=181

B

I went there about a month ago when I was in Chicago with my husband for a concert. It was a fun and relaxing place. It does have an interesting history of how it became a tiki bar. Apparently, the owners put up bamboo wall coverings to cover the peeling paint of the walls in the original location and the regulars liked the vibe a lot and pushed them to make it a tropical bar.

A few weeks ago I had a business trip to Chicago. I didn't know what my schedule would be like but knew that if some appropriate free time was available I wanted to spend it at Hala Kahiki. On Thursday, December 5th that opportunity arose and I was able to get there early enough to get some decent photos. Great place, great staff, and a big thank you to Jim (the owner) for his kind hospitality.

My favorite drink of the evening was the Scorpion, appropriately served in a bowl.

You can see the full resolution images on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akahaka/sets/

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2013-12-18 22:58 ]

Thanks for the photos Karl!

Aaaah, nice HDR! I feel like I have been there again after all these years! Truly one of the last authentic Tiki Temples.
Mahalo!

On 2013-12-18 22:04, Hakalugi wrote:
A few weeks ago I had a business trip to Chicago. I didn't know what my schedule would be like but knew that if some appropriate free time was available I wanted to spend it at Hala Kahiki. On Thursday, December 5th that opportunity arose and I was able to get there early enough to get some decent photos. Great place, great staff, and a big thank you to Jim (the owner) for his kind hospitality.

My favorite drink of the evening was the Scorpion, appropriately served in a bowl.

You can see the full resolution images on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akahaka/sets/

Great job with the photos. Very atmospheric!

Nice work Haka, those are the best photos I've seen of the Hala Kahiki.

Thank you!

Save the date, we're hosting the launch party for Kahakai Tiki Rum on 01/10/14. More details to come.

Hala kahiki now has video slot machines - check out the gambling hut Across from the bar when you walk in

Pages: 1 2 64 replies