Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bond, James Bond

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies

And here's the Vesper from last night's MOTAC event. Clean and very strong. FYI: In a letter to the Manchester Guardian published on April 5, 1958, Ian Fleming gives his own review of the Vesper cocktail: "to create an illusion of depth I had to fit Bond out with some theatrical props...with distinctive cigarettes...I proceeded to invent a cocktail for Bond (which I sampled some months later and found unpalatable)."

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-12-16 11:31 ]

So who has Ian Fleming's Flaming Rum Punch (or "Poor Man's Thing") recipe?

For special occasions, Fleming would also mix up a special signature concoction. While no one could blame you for expecting it to be a Vodka Martini, shaken, not stirred, in actuality it couldn’t be more different: a flaming rum punch.
The evening after his wedding to Ann Charteris he even enjoyed the drink. (To be fair, between the ceremony and the celebration, according to Parker, “strong Martinis” were also drunk.)
Fleming’s long-serving cook and housekeeper, Violet, according to Parker, called the punch the “Poor Man’s Thing.” The recipe for it sounds like something you’d find at a Trader Vic’s outpost. “You have skin of orange, skin of lemon. Pour rum on top. Put sugar in dish. Put on oven, keeping stirring. Set light when coming to the boil. Put lid on the dish, then turn out all the light in the house when carry it in to the guests.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/19/the-myth-of-james-bond-s-martini.html

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2016-05-19 13:38 ]

Thanks for posting that. Great article.

T

"Jane, Jane Bond"?

How about a Andy Oakley movie?

“James Bond isn’t entirely out of the realm of possibility. As the film industry begins to take notice of audience desires to see more diversity on screen,”

Will Smith in Wild Wild West was a block buster I hear.
And "Supergirl" is the hottest show on TV.

Why don’t they do stuff like Lara Croft those are good TV movies.
The fact that a woman is the lead in that is what makes it good.

People would riot in the streets if there was a white guy Cast in the roll of Shaft.
Or maybe Archie Bunker in the story of Mother Teresa.

They did not like the idea of diversity in this roll.

Quote Salon Mag
“Casting a white guy to play Michael Jackson, really?: In an industry rigged against minority actors, this is just the latest low”

Most remakes suck anyway.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-05-25 04:03 ]

D
Danno posted on Wed, May 25, 2016 8:34 AM

Changing gender of 007?

OH HELL NO!!

Clifton James, known for his portrayal of a southern sheriff in Live and Let Die and The Man with the Golden Gun, has died. He was 96.

Fox News: Clifton James

Sir Roger Moore, the star of seven Bond films, has passed away at age 89.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2017-05-23 07:16 ]

Bond Girl Molly Peters from Thunderball
March 15 1942 – May 30 2017

Daily Mail: The first Bond girl to strip off, Molly Peters, passes away at the age of 75

S

and then today i hear martin landau died. i'm so thankful he lived, but so sad he's gone.

i guess the world really is not enough

[ Edited by: socksoff 2017-07-16 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: socksoff 2017-07-16 21:38 ]

James Bond #25 title and villain revealed

ScreenRant: Bond 25 Called Shatterhand; Features Blind Villain.

Bernie Casey who played Felix Leiter in Never Say Never Again
June 8 1939 - September 19, 2017

Hollywood Reporter: Bernie Casey

German actress Karin Dor, who played an assassin sent by James Bond's nemesis Blofeld to kill the British agent in 1967's "You Only Live Twice," has died. She was 79.

Fox News:Bond Girl Karin Dor of 'You Only Live Twice' dead at 79

Release date for Bond 25-November 8, 2019

Den of Geeks: Bond 25

Lewis Gilbert, director of “You Only Live Twice,” “The Spy Who Loved Me”, “Moonraker” — and the Swinging London classic “Alfie,”

March 6, 1920 -February 23, 2018

Bend Bulletin: Lewis Gilbert

First time an American director to helm a 007 film in the 55-year history of Eon's Bond titles

Cary Fukunaga to Direct 'James Bond 25'

Tania Mallet, The actress best known for playing Tilly Masterson in Goldfinger
May 19, 1941 - March 31, 2019

Daily Mail: Tania Mallet

"Bohemian Rhapsody" star Rami Malek has been confirmed as the villain in "Bond 25"

FoxNews: Rami Malek stars as villain in 'Bond 25'

One of three surviving genuine James Bond Aston Martin DB5s will be sold during Monterey car week 2019.

Sothebys: Restored Genuine 007 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Heading To Auction!

David Hedison who played James Bond's CIA friend Felix Leiter in two films
May 20, 1927 – July 18, 2019

Arizona Republic: David Hedison

Hey I think I have that gun.

The next Bond movie will do about as good as the Wild Wild West movie did.

First French Bond Girl dies aged 78: Claudine Auger starred as Domino opposite Sean Connery's 007 in Thunderball.

Daily Mail: Claudine Auger

T

Any barman that would "shake" a martini should be murdered with a very pointy swizzle stick! Even author Ian Fleming freely admitted later that he'd written it incorrectly! And yet it's gone into the language....

The shaking with a vodka martini was to cloud the drink to differentiate it from a stirred, clear gin martini.

T

Well if you've reached the stage of being unable to tell your gin from your vodka it's probably time to go home......

It was for the viewer to tell them apart, not the drinker. Just like the copper mug for the vodka mule.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies