Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Restaurant Records!

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

On 2009-09-08 09:22, bigtikidude wrote:
hey Jeff, do you know if there is a Brother named Barry,
there is a Barry Rivera that was in surf bands back in the 60's

Jeff(btd)

They come from a family of 10 so it is quite possible.

I'll ask Ernie when I see him in a couple weeks.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Cool thanks.
my Buddy Jim Frias was in the Chantays, and then the Nocturnes, both south Orange County surf bands, and he said he knew a few of the Revera Brothers, and said it was a huge family, I bet he is related.

thanks again,
Jeff(btd)

S

Just uploaded a rip of George Paoa live in Kaanapali. A sort of cheesy piano bar recording, but the version of Hasegawa General Store is now in rotation in the Hideaway forever...

See it all HERE

Nice find Swanky!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

yes, thanks, swanky!
'diggin' on the George Paoa Live!
Anybody else have any rips of these out of print gems???

Danny Kaleikini Live at the Kahala Hilton Hotel on the beach at Waialae. Hula Records, Inc. Price tag from Sears and Roebuck is dated 5-11-72

Sorry... got carried away when I saw the other Hotel records.....guess this one isn't really considered a Restaurant record.

On 2011-10-12 18:11, Lukeulele wrote:
Sorry... got carried away when I saw the other Hotel records.....guess this one isn't really considered a Restaurant record.

Yes it is Lukeulele!!

I consider a restaurant record any privately pressed record that was recorded inside of a restaurant, hotel, motel or nightclub. On-location recordings are the best but there are lots of studio recordings out there as well.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2012 9:13 AM

On 2008-08-21 11:00, nibblegribitz wrote:
Hi,
That's my father, George Hines, on the album.
He had the band at the Hotel Lexington for a while in the mid-fifties.
He also had the band at the original Roney Plaza in Miami Beach when they had a Polynesian show and dinner outside in the gardens.
They even built a stage with a large volcano that covered it.
They would open the show with one of the knife dancers blowing a conch shell at the top of the volcano. By the way, Kui Lee (I'll Remember You) was one of the knife dancers.
He later had the show at the Yankee Clipper in Ft. Lauderdale for several years (when it was still MAI KAI) and recorded an album.(my two brothers and I sang harmonies on several of the tracks)
He and I(I got a small portion of his talent) were the first haoles to play there.
We did the show and also played in the Molokai bar.

That album cover looks like it's in excellent condition!!!
How's the vinyl???

To follow up on Kui Lee...

He was at the Mai-Kai early on. He built a little hut on the property and made the reed hats and stuff that he gave to guests for tips. He was a very personable man and multi-talented as we now know. Fireknife dancer, carver, singer and song writer. In his wikipedia bio it says he was at the Hawaiian Room, and maybe that was a standing gig or with Nibble's dad. Regardless, he left the Mai-Kai gig and went on to great fame in Hawaii writing songs for Don Ho.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: swanky 2012-01-11 16:17 ]

There are many places to post these photos. We just found this autographed album from the Coco Palms. Super cool. Wendy

Very cool find Wendy!!

Larry Rivera is actually Ernie Menehune's little brother!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies