Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Contest time

Pages: 1 5 replies

O.K. All you Smarty Pants. Here you go, Three ways to win BIG!

The first person to guess the purpose of the chant wins TWO DECALS of their choice.

The first person to correctly translate the chant wins THREE DECALS of their choice.

And for the GRAND POOBAH...

Be the first person to get them both right and you win your choice of SIX DECALS.

Post answers on this thread. First correct answers posted wins. Contest ends in a week. (Next Sunday Dec 1)

See Da Kine winnins here:
http://www.stores.ebay.com/lostisletradingpost

Here is the chant, so Good luck and start translating:

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

Chongolio

My Hawaiian is kinda rusty but let's try...

The surf heads toward Tahiti, face it, attack! Stand and come toward the beach morning glory, uncover. Distant sea.

Well, I gave it a shot. Even if that's not quite right, it's kinda poetic.

-Weird Unc

A

Pray for surf! Loosely translated as, "Tomorrow should be double overhead and glassy with clean rights and rideable lefts just around the point. Light offshore winds and low-tide at 2pm. Wax up your stick."

Just kidding. But I think it is a big surf chant. "O rise, ye mighty swell from Tahiti! Pitch and curl and bring us plenny stoke!" Or something like that.

-Randy

There were ceremonies to counter a particularly long flat surf spell. In the Hawai`i of long ago, surfers might gather on the beach, find strands of pohuehue (beach morning glory; Ipomoea pescaprae), swing them around their heads and lash the surface of the ocean while chanting in unison. One such surf chant was recorded by Thrum, in the Hawaiian Almanac and Annual for 1896:

Inaa ohe nalu, a laila aku i kai, penei e hea ai:
(If there is no surf, invoke seaward in the following manner:)

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nui mai Kahiki mai,
Arise! Arise, you great surfs from Kahiki, The powerful curling waves.

Alo po`i pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue,
Arise with pohuehue.

Hu! Kai ko`o loa.
Well up, long raging surf.

:tiki:

C

Winner, winner, winner! Thanks for playing guys. Since you three are the only members to even venture an attempt, Tell you what I am going to do. WeirdUncletiki, you get one for giving it a nice try. Aquarj you can pick out two for being the first to correctly guess the purpose of the chant. Indeed it is a chant for blue rollers. (Which in fact seemed to work this weekend!) TraderPup you get your choice of three for doing a perfect translation and helping me figure out the "pohuehue" part. Pick out your winnins and e-mail your choices and where I need to send them from the e-mail link at my store. Thanks for playin'
Chongolio

See your choioices here:
http://www.stores.ebay.com/lostisletradingpost

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-12-01 20:22 ]

C'mon lads dont be bashful. Step up and claim your prizes! So far Weird Unc is the only one to claim his fine winnin's.

Chongolio

Pages: 1 5 replies