Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis at Sea World San Diego?

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

Was there at one time a "Tiki" restaurant at Sea World? I seem to remember a restaurant that had a lagoon with aligators that you crossed, and then into the long-house style restaurant. Its been so long, that I can't remember too well.

I was shocked to see how different sea world looks now vs 10 years ago. Amazing that they ripped out so much.

A

That was originally The Hawaiian Punch Pavilion. I think it changed when Anheiser Bush took over. I remember the gators from when I was a kid. I think inside it was more tropical (Hawaiian)than Tiki.
Al

S

Here's a picture from Sea World in Orlando. Unfortunately, I have no other information.

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2002-11-25 07:20 ]

I have some fairly good pictures of this - I will try & post them tomorrow!
It is very sad to see how much SeaWorld San Diego has ripped out - there was some stunning architecture there in the late 60s- early 70s...

Wow. Thanks for posting that, SoBe

I had no idea that there was a Hawaiian Punch Village at the Orlando Sea World. Here's a picture of the one at the San Diego Sea World:

They both look similar. The San Diego one definitely had some tikis as poles in the front, but I don't remember what it was like on the inside. I wish I had paid closer attention when I was a kid.

Now all we need is for Maui_Matt to tell us which one he was remembering. Thanks again for the info, SoBe.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-05-17 02:14 ]

T

I think he was after San Diego.... There was also a cute Hawaiian Punch animatronic show on the interior foyer - like I said I'll bring some other pix to upload tomorrow....

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Nov 25, 2002 1:56 PM

ho, dat place rocks! I neva knew of da kine??! I have choke pictures of me on those floating killer whale rides when I was a kid.
Cool pictures!

Believe it or not:

There was once a Sea World in Cleveland, of all places, which has since been absorbed by new Six Flags developments in the area. They had a Hawaiian Punch Village too. Long gone, or course. sigh...

T

OK - so I thought I'd post some pictures from my collection & give a little info on the few Tikis that could be found at Sea World San Diego....

Sea World was the brainchild of George Millay (along with some frat brothers at UCLA), and opened in 1964 with many unique attractions.

Like most amusement parks that design on a grand scale, the early years found many of the shows & attractions subsidized by corporate sponsorship. The Murata Pearl Japanese Village, Richfield Hydrofoil & Theater Of The Sea (Starkist) were all examples of this.

STARKIST THEATER OF THE SEA

To the best of my knowledge, the Hawaiian Punch Village opened along with the others in 1964. It was housed in a polynesian styled A-frame, with 2 kiosk-like huts out in front.

THE VILLAGE IN 1964

Located directly in front of the Village was a "Dolphin and Whale School" - ostensibly used to train the mammals - but it's size seems to indicate that it was more for show....

The first year, the environment was sparse - but I believe the tikis shown in Sabu's postcard were added around the same time as the Hawaiian Punch band...

Crossing the bridge to the A-frame, you would pass over an alligator pool. The interior of the restaurant featured table service (with the usual fast food items), Hawaiian Punch (naturally), and travel films projected in several locations...

Inside the left kiosk/hut was a unique attraction - the "Hawaiian Punch Village Band" - a animatronic display featuring HP mascot Punchy, Opie (or Oaf), and the various Sea World animals (like Shamu, etc..) all singing a Hawaiian Punch song...

I spoke with designer Wes Cook who created several features of the park in 1997 about the design of the figures. He recalled that (like most projects at Sea World) they had very little money for the figures - so he designed the display, and a young artist was called in to do the sculpting very quickly... This display probably went in around 1966-67.

PUNCHY

OPIE

Of course, the restaurant had many suggestions for mixed drinks featuring Hawaiian Punch!

BACK OF POSTCARD (NOTE TIKI IN BACKGROUND!)

The restaurant portion of the Village remained in operation at least until 1994 (the time of my last visit) - but the Hawaiian Punch & Tiki elements were removed at some point in the early 1980s. As usual, no one I've talked to can tell me what has happened to the props or animatronic figures....

If you guys want, I can do a part two on the adjacent Lagoon Show which featured a tropical theme & one lonely Tiki....

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-09 10:33 ]

Anyone who wants to see the 1960s Sea World San Diego on film go and rent Jerry Lewis' "The Big Mouth". Lots of exteriors in there, and the Hotel scenes were all shot at the nearby Mission Bay Hilton, which back then was DEL WEBB'S OCEAN HOUSE, and had lots of Tikis on the grounds, plus a huge Polynesian scene mural at the beach. It's restaurant was the Jolly Roger Lounge, which ended in a ship's prow.

Yet the interior Tiki restaurant scene in the movie looks like a set, with the same fiber glass Tiki that showed up in the Buffy episode (courtesy of Oceanic Arts).

But what I am fascinated with is the exterior sequence where Jerry climbs up on this outrigger wall divider that is decorated with masks and shields clearly designed by the same artist who did the Kon Tiki Hotel Phoenix sign and wall plaques. Yet I have seen another picture of that wall that does not have the masks on it. Were they just film decor? Or added later? Who was that artist who did those unforgetable Kon Tiki Hotel masks? Will I ever find out? HELP!

"The Big Mouth" is great fun, but then I am European, we LIKE Jerry Lewis movies!

Del Webb was Bugsy Siegel's contractor for the Flamingo in Vegas, then he build himself THE MINT, my favourite pink neon googie palace in old Vegas. I got to photograph my dad in front of it before it quietly was dismantled.

Now all we need is for Maui_Matt to tell us which one he was remembering. Thanks again for the info, SoBe.

Sabu

Thanks Sabu! That was the Sea World I was thinking about. I've never been to the one in Orlando. Amazing how I remembered that. Last time I was at Sea World, I was told the restaurant is now for private functions. Oh well.....

There was another restaurant that used to be at the other end of the skyway ride. I think it was called Atlantis. I seem to remember some sort of Polynesian art inside, but I could be confused. It was very long ago.

Mahalo

T

I believe Atlantis was opened in 1965 - On my last trip there, the restaurant was closed & had been turned iinto offices for Sea World staff...

Thank you so much for that awesome pictorial, Tangaroa. There's so much knowledge out there in Tiki Central Land.

My Thanks as well, Tangaroa!

That's some great info. And great pictures. How did you become so intimately involved/knowledgeable about all things Sea World? (And I vote for some pictures of the Lagoon Show - if you've got time).

Sabu

T

On 2002-11-27 10:12, floratina wrote:
Thank you so much for that awesome pictorial, Tangaroa. There's so much knowledge out there in Tiki Central Land.

That's some great info. And great pictures. How did you become so intimately involved/knowledgeable about all things Sea World? (And I vote for some pictures of the Lagoon Show - if you've got time).

Sabu

No problem! I've always been involved & interested in Theme Park/Amusement Park history - of particular interest to me are the parks I went to as a kid growing up in So Cal in the 1970s - so I've gone out of my way to collect info on Sea World & Marineland, POP, Disneyland, Knott's etc....
Actually, Sea World & Marineland items are remarkably cheap on E-bay - so that's where most of my knowledge comes from. Although, I used to work with Wes Cook at Imagineering, so he shared a bunch of info & copies of his concept art for Sea World (as well as other parks - in addition he was a designer on H.R. Puf-n-stuf & the original McDonaldland characters were his too) - but I digress.... Also did some interviews with some of the original employees hired in the 1960s last year (one of whom was the sister of the girl on your Hawaiian Punch postcard, Sabu) - that was set up by the PR dept at Sea World - so it was a little weird, even though I got some good info out of it...
I'll post more pix of the "stranded on a tropical island" dolphin lagoon show next week - I'm here in Oakland with the in-laws for Thanksgiving right now!
Thanks for the thanks!

Tangaroa sez"I'm here in Oakland with the in-laws for
Thanksgiving right now"

Mr Smiley sez--I hope you ar egoing to Trader Vics for at least drinks!!!

Also I will be selling some stuff at the Alameda Point antiques Faire this Sunday (Dec. 1). I think you can get info by calling this number-510-522-7500.

T

No - we are going to try & beat the traffic back to LA by leaving Sat. night.....
I need to go to Trader Vics up here - I've only been to the one in Bangkok!

Z

Looking through my postcards last night, I found this card of the dolphin show. Closer inspection of the card shows an interesting tiki out in the lagoon and the entrance to the Hawaiian Punch Village is visible behind the lagoon.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2003-12-04 22:02 ]

M

Tangaroa,

This is the exact kind of post that brought me to Tiki Central. Informative, Historic, very relevant and extremely cool. Great images.

I have lived in San Diego for most of my life and recall going to Sea World and the Zoo almost every year on school field trips. I have many fond memories of Sea World as it WAS. My absolute favorite part as a kid was the Japanese Pearl Divers and the Hawaiian Punch pavillion. I remember eating at the pavillion with my Grandma.

There is still a little bit of Tiki influence in one of the Gift Shops.

Thanks again for a great post.

T

Thanks! I can't compete with some of the Tiki experts on this board, but I do have a lot of theme park history info (my former occupation, still my obsession!)... You may also enjoy this post about George Millay, founder of Sea World:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6060&forum=1
Unfortunately, he wouldn't (or just got tired of my questions) give me info about the Hawaiian Punch Village - I'd really like more info on that (and better pix of the "Punchy" band - and the holy grail - audio & or video of the interiors!)....

-Tangaroa

T

On 2002-11-25 13:56, GECKO wrote:
ho, dat place rocks! I neva knew of da kine??! I have choke pictures of me on those floating killer whale rides when I was a kid.
Cool pictures!

Hey Gecko -
are you describing the "kiddie" killer whale ride, that had little whales as ride vehicles? If so - any chance you can post those pictures? I have no documentation of that, other than a map & vague childhood memories....

• Tangaroa
T

On 2002-11-26 20:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Anyone who wants to see the 1960s Sea World San Diego on film go and rent Jerry Lewis' "The Big Mouth".
But what I am fascinated with is the exterior sequence where Jerry climbs up on this outrigger wall divider that is decorated with masks and shields clearly designed by the same artist who did the Kon Tiki Hotel Phoenix sign and wall plaques. Yet I have seen another picture of that wall that does not have the masks on it. Were they just film decor? Or added later? Who was that artist who did those unforgetable Kon Tiki Hotel masks? Will I ever find out? HELP!

Sven -
Is the wall you are describing? (I still haven't seen the picture yet!)

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2005-08-18 17:00 ]

HL

I have some vague recollections now about the Hawaiian Punch Village in Orlando. The little AA figures were there to, in a window display.

I remember attending a luau show in an outdoor theater there that featured lots of audience participation. This probably would have been back around 1984-1986.

If I remember correctly, the land started to lose it's theme when the restaurant switched to an "Al E. Gator's" which was a popular eatery at "Florida Festival," a sort of ersatz Lake Buena Vista under large inflatable tents, located across the street from the park. When Florida Festival closed, the restaurant moved into Sea World and it was sayonara Hawaiian Punch Village, along with the Japanese pearl divers.

T

Thanks for the memories!

I was just thinking about Sea World, San Diego the other day and here you’ve been talking about it! I really like the photos from Tangaroa; they remind me of my childhood.

The other day I was talking with my 5th grade students about the Japanese pearl divers there in the ‘70s and memories of the whole park came back. I not only remember the divers, but the dolphin show in the lagoon, the dancing water attraction, and especially the Hawaiian Punch Pavilion. I remember ordering kid cocktails there and I even remember getting a souvenir mug, which may have been a tiki. But, alas, it vanished many years ago and my memory of it is vague.

Mahalo for all the great memories, and keep the pics coming if you have anymore!

TikiSteve

T

Thanks! I have a pretty good collection - I may write an article on it one of these days....

A few pics from a guide book dated 1976

These type of fountain shows must have been popular in the late 70's. The Disneyland Hotel had their own version called "Dancing Waters'. It was a FREE (imagine that from Disney today) nightly show outdoors behind the SeaPorts of the Pacific pavillion.

T

(UPDATED 8/18/05 - fixed dead links & added some more photos...)

Great aerial shots ZuluMagoo! I think I have that guidebook - but I don't remember that shot... Anyway - you've inspired me to upload some more pics...

The entrance - designed by Victor Gruen & Associates - had this awesome A frame...

This aerial shot shows what a nice mix of polynesian & modern Sea World originally was...

Here's a few more of the Dolphin Lagoon Show in the opening years - they had a polynesian theme, with thatched huts for the dolphins - but it was pretty sparse....

Later they added an erupting volcano & this fella....

The amazing Theatre Of The Sea building originally housed this show, hosted by an animatronic Charlie The Tuna. I wonder where those figures ended up? (There were 4 indentical rooms for the show.) It was torn out to build the Shipwreck Rapids ride a few years back.... Thanks Busch.

The strollers were even Shamu & dolphin themed... There used to be a little kiddie ride where the vehicles were made out of the same stroller body - anybody remember this? Or better yet, have any pictures?

UPDATE 8/18/2005: I posted this last year when I went through my Grandfather's old negatives.... Thanks Grandpa!

Lastly - here's a recent find my friend Dan Goodsell turned up - another shot of the Hawaiian Punch pavilion animatronics... I wish I had better photos - even, dare I wish for it - audio of the show?

Yes - I need serious help.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2005-08-18 16:57 ]

T

Thanks to all who posted these amazing photos. They brought back memories of growing up in San Diego. In high school I took Oceanography and we went to Sea World every week! This was in the late 70s so much of the good stuff was still there. I can't remember much of what I saw in high school, but I do remember some of the stuff in the pictures from when I was a younger kid. I guess we're so engrossed in ourselves as teenagers we don't really notice a lot of things.

T

Thanks for the memories!

I was an employee at Sea World of San Diego from 1988 thru 1996. It was only supposed to be a "summer job" but I ended up working their 8 years. It was a great job. Fun place to work, nice people, great benefits, and the company treats you well.

When I first started HBJ publishing owned the park along with having the Japanese Village still intact and the Sparklettes Water show. The employees of the Japanese Village were pretty much their own little group. Most of them were veterans that had been working their for 10+ years and had no intention of leaving.

When Anheuser Busch bought Sea World in 1990, quite a few changes took place. The company really cleaned up the park and added new attractions and updated the older ones. Unfortunately the Japanese Village was taken away, along with the employees, because it seemed to be a bit outdated for it's time. Personally, I like what the park has done with the landscaping after the conversion.

When I left the park in 1996, the Sparklettes water show was still running. No, it wasn't a blockbuster show however it was a nice escape on a hot California summer day! I believe the show has now closed....

Thanks for sharing the picture. Sea World is a wonderful place to work, especially if you are young, because the company is flexible with hours and takes good care of you. Many employees started working their (like me) thinking this was just a summer job and end up staying 20 years and making a career out of it.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!

I remember seeing that Sparkletts water show back in the early 70's, and it was one of the most beautiful things I ever saw. But I had only a memory of the image, I forgot where it was and the fact that it was Sparkletts-sponsored. Wow! Some incredible things happen here.

S

This thread brought back a lot of memories- of the Sea World at Geauga Lake/Aurora in Ohio. I believe they also had an Hawai'ian themed area with Tikis and a Hula show- my visits would have been back in the early 70's.

We also had the Pearl divers, a japanese pavillion of some kind, and an outstanding waterski show- but hey, I was small back then...maybe it wasn't as amazing as I remember.

In any case- this may also be another root of Ohio Tiki heritage. After all- Hula and Cleveland- two words you cewrtainly don't automaticly associate.

Yeah, I remember seeing the pearl diving show in San Diego, too--it burned some kind of image into my mind, seeing those divers go under the water, viewing them THROUGH the water...

I never thought I'd see a picture of that water fountain show. This is totally startling to me! It's a "wow" kind of moment.

MR

The artifacts that still existed at Sea World San Diego were walled off from the public eye. A buddy of mine who works there told me that they actually auction off the items in "lots". I have been riding him for more info. The last time I went it looked as though it was all gone(the restaraunt). If I get any more info I'll be sure to post it.

T

Ironic!

I spent the day at Sea World yesterday (which I DO NOT recommend doing with a newborn, by the way...)

Sadly - the Hawaiian Punch A frame was completely raized. Just gone - as if it was never there.....

Can you tell me a little more about the auctions youare talking about? If there is anything from the Hawaiian Punch Village - I'd like to know about it....

I still need to talk to my friend. I think he meant they would take groupings of various items and auction them off in some parking lot somewhere. It was not an advertised auction but one held by invitation only. I will try to get ahold of him as soon as I can.

Wow! Living in San Diego all my life I can vividly recall the Sparkletts Water Show, Charlie the Tuna, Atlantis, the pearl divers ( neatest thing I ever saw as a kid) and the Hawaiian Punch drinks made just for kids! I think Hawaiian Punch used to make some sort of orange flavor at one time. My drink was always some orange/banana blended thingie with lots of cherries. OMG now I need to get out my blender.

I also recall the Hydrofoil Boats. Anyone else? They were such a blast to ride on. I found a link but wasn't sure if I should put it on here. (?)

I miss the Sea World of those times. Really made you feel closer to the sea, if that makes any sense. Now it's a bit touristy for my taste.

T

Yes - I was hoping to encounter a little bit of the buildings that were there in my childhood... but they all seem to be gone! With the exception of the Japanese Pearl Diver Village (now the Morey Eel caverns & Ray exhibit) - there's not much left....

Even the old fashioned aquarium walk throughs seem diminished. I was hopein at least to post pictures of the old A frame Hawaiian Punch building to show a "Then & Now" comparison - but it's gone gone gone....

What a bummer!

O.K. I got ahold of my friend and he told me that all the restaraunt items got hauled off and sold. He wasn't sure exactly when. He also wasn't sure if they were auctioned or not. I only hope whoever got them will keep them in good shape. Who knows? We might discover a new TC'er who has a recreation Sea World Tiki bar one day.

T

Arrrrrgh!
So frustrating. Probably went in the trash.... (A lot of Knott's & Disneyland artifacts have ended up that way as well...)

MR

God I hope not. I'll ask my friend to dig a little deeper. Maybe somebody there knows something. At least the souvenir coffee mugs are still floating around.

These photos were developed in July, 1972. . I believe they were taken by my sister on a visit with Mom and the Step-Father as I can see the back of his balding head in one shot. I don't see any Tikis and it looks like maybe they removed one where the Volcano was installed. Sorry for the poor quality of the floor show photos, but I think they were shot on a Kodak Insta-matic. That cube flash rivals the digital crap-cam I have.......

M

Thanks for the pictures. I always like pictures of Sea World. I didn't even know there was a Polynesian show until I read about it in this forum. Any chance of getting larger scans of those photos you posted?

T

Bongo -
Those last pix of the "Polynesian Revue" are interesting! Are they from the Hawaiian Punch pavillion? If so, it would be great to see them at a higher resolution (if possible)... I have some nice interiors from Oceanic Arts, but I gotta save them for an upcoming Tiki Magazine article!

R
Ruka posted on Sun, Mar 12, 2006 10:06 PM

I wanted to drop in and say thank you so much for posting all these photos! I mean wow, it's not everyday you see these kind of pictures of SWC! I was wondering if anyone knew where in the park was the wnderwater dolphin show was?

T

The "underwater" dolphin show? Perhaps you mean the Theater of the Sea:

R
Ruka posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 2:03 PM

Yeah that! Thanks! I have some old footage on one of my tapes that shows a dolphin swiming underwater with that background with a ring and a sign around his rostrum, and I always wondered where in the park that place was.

I came across a blog that's got some cool photos of Hawaiian Punch Village at Sea World. Lots of cool photos: some themepark stuff and a cool shot of a Polynesian building.

http://mistertoast.blogspot.com/2007/02/hawaiian-punch-village.html

Do any other features remain?

Previously, Twowheelintiki posted that mugs, shirts, soap dispensers etc. it was all in a store by the shipwreck restaurant.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies