Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

T

Old news, need the date Walgreens closed for the timeline on this thread.

IMG_6330 (1) tikiskip, I thought you might enjoy seeing the lamp you posted on this tread in 2008 made it's way to my home bar and is still being enjoyed 14 years later :) Btw, was this from one of the downstairs rooms at the Kahiki?

T

I think that is the one I fixed for Jeff, right?

But I would guess from downstairs I forget where Jeff got that one?

Glad you got it though; it is a bit different from the other Kahiki lights.

Yes, I got it from Jeff, along with a similar but slightly larger round lamp. I didn't have the extra cash to buy any of the lamps from the frozen foods sale but was glad to eventually get these little guys.

T

Sounds like a light I sold Jeff as well.

Jeff only keeps like two tiki items the rest get sold over time you should get him to sell you that Kahiki table lamp I sold him, that freed him up to sell the real Kahiki table lamp he had to the K bear.

Man, he has a knack for getting the artist proofs or tiki just given to him.

You should come over this summer when Mike and Marrie come to build lights would like to have a few tiki nuts over this year.

Is it a double monkey lamp? Wouldn't mind having one, my crouching tiki lamp could use a buddy. A lamp building day sounds like fun, let me know when this happens! Here's my table lamp- IMG_6354

T

Damn Simon where did you get that! You even have the right shade, I would bet that only you and Kohalacharmes have one of those, ok Kohalacharmes most likely has five himself but those have to be hard to find.

Frank I'm kidding.

I need to find that base as I have two of the shades.

They put two of the shades together and hung them up as a light, it did not look so great, but it kept them in perfect condition.

Yep!! I sold one of my Kahiki monkey lamps to Kohala Charms. I still have one more original and one copy that Tikiskip sold me many moons ago!! You should make more of those John. Especially with the amazing work you did on the lampshade!! Just beautiful.

My original crouching lamp I had I sold to a Phil Kientz's granddaughter. Didn't know you had two shades for that John. If I find another base, I will definitely hit you up!!

[ Edited by Jeff Central on 2023-02-01 13:43:39 ]

Jeff with Kahiki Scrapbook

Oh also, The Kahiki Scrapbook will be out at the end of February 2023.

T

DEFINITELY on my "to buy" list! Hopefully available here. Interested to know why you seem to have a Shag art work on the cover, he being not contemporary with the Kahiki. But I'm sure there's a reason behind the selection?

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2023-02-02 14:33:27 ]

T

Yeah, I got two shades from the sale that nobody went to.

Frank did offer to trade a shade for a base and that would be a fair trade, but I did not do it, always thought that I would find one here in the wild, that story of you getting yours is a good one though I tell that one a lot.

Man, I hope that new book has big fat pictures like the Book of tiki does or the Mai Kai book Swanky did.

It's time for a Kahiki book that is as big and colorful as the Kahiki was. Can you guys not get one like that done or how does that work.

T

Here they are.

See how they put them together to hang.

Met the lady at her warehouse, they got rid of everything because they were tearing down the place to build the new Baseball stadium.

Ended up with all the things here plus other stuff too. That lady was kinda wacky it might be a good thing that none of the story's I have ended up in your books.

Did you guys talk to Greg and Mellissa they ended up with the bulk of the warehouse stuff, some odd stuff happened to them after they bought that stuff.

Wonder where all that stuff went, I want Lees desk.

Kahiki shades

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2023-02-03 05:53:24 ]

I was at Daddykatz shopping and visiting with Bill when a guy wanders in with this lamp and a story about his mother bringing it back from Hawaii. Bill called me up front and asked if I knew anything about it. After retreiving my jaw from the floor, I told him what it really was and offered to purchase. He didn't want to sell, sentimental item. Probably a year goes by and Bill calls me, says "that guy with the Kahiki lamp came back in, you want it?". I said heck yes, how much? Fifty bucks. Done. It is complete with the original oil burner and glass globe. IMG_3133

[ Edited by SufferinSimon on 2023-02-10 07:39:04 ]

T

Why did Daddy Katz not buy it?

Those FOMers never did think twice about snatching some Kahiki item out from under me at any auctions.

It's why I did not go to the Tropical Bistro auction I knew it would be a cluster F#*k and I made the mistake of telling people of the very few stuff that was actually from the Kahiki lots of that stuff Theang made himself.

Cool lamp I think that is one of the top rare items from the Kahiki if it has a real shade with it.

Those shades are paper that is hard to keep a paper shade good for what 60 plus years!

Thanks for posting that picture, just think that is the best image you will find of that lamp as it is not in any books I know of.

To answer TIKIGIKI's question. The title of that Shag painting on the cover of the book is called "The Last Night at the Kahiki." Shag was at the Bon Voyage Kahiki party like myself, and it was a mesmerizing event. From the Martin Denny video-taped intro to the 10-piece Don Tiki band flown in from Hawaii just for the evening it was purely magical but sad!! Shag was happy to let us use his iconic painting for part of our cover. I think it looks great!!!

@Tikiskip, I don't have any way of getting hold of Greg and Melissa. I'd love to pick their brain to find out the details of everything that happened after they left with two semi's full of Kahiki stuff!! If you have current contacts for either of them, please let me know. My research never ends!!

@tikiskip

"Why did Daddy Katz not buy it?"

Because Bill knew I would treasure it :)

Got the Kahiki Scrapbook the other day and there is a thing in it about the Kahiki Moai that was in my back yard that is just wrong.

I did get in contact with Jeff about it and got a well that's what one guy thought Tikiskip said nothing can be done now about it tough luck.

Two of the MANY authors had my phone number and email and hack knew where I lived, they could have got it right before the printed the book. Or heck asked me when they were there or even take notes they asked almost no questions when they were there.

Did give them a bit over a week to post here about that mistake but they did not so I will read through it again and post a more detailed telling of where it was so it can be righted.

I did not sell the Maoi because the zoning laws would not let me put the statue up and I have NEVER told anybody that EVER.

When we got the Maoi we checked first to make sure that we could put it up.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies