Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

P

I had forgotten that I had this dinner menu from the Huki Lau Restaurant at the Hawaiian Gardens, with cover art borrowed from the Matson Lines :

The back of the menu mentions a few legends surrounding tiki in Maori mythology, and has a very faint (and kinda blurry) drawing of the Hawaiian Gardens grounds. Also mentioned is a floral shop on the premises, the Huki Lau Restaurant, and motel:

There is a little blurb on the inside cover, describing the owners idea of what the Inn represents, and also mentions architect Jim Livingston who designed it :

The inside back cover has another little bit of info the on the Waitoma Grotto Lounge:

And also a placemat from the Hawaiian Gardens :

M

Hi I am new here. I live about 15 minutes away. Has the mystery been solved? I can drive by the old Holly Hawaiian village as I do remember going to it as a child, and was thinking about it today, that is how I found Tiki Central by searching for the Village. Curious myself anyone have an update? I will go take photos if someone here hasn't already done so. P.S. I went and read the whole thread. I thought parts of the building could still be seen off of I-75. My parents are in their 80's I will ask them tomorrow what the place was like, their memory is better than mine, I was like 12 when I ate there.

[ Edited by: michele 2006-03-24 20:50 ]

T

Michele wrote:

Hi I am new here. I live about 15 minutes away.
... I can drive by the old Holly Hawaiian village
as I do remember going to it as a child....

Lucky you! I'm sure everyone would love to hear your
and your parents' recollections of the Village. I am
in Ionia, about an hour west, but never visited the
Village. :(

On 2006-03-24 17:41, Michele wrote:
Hi I am new here. I live about 15 minutes away. Has the mystery been solved? I can drive by the old Holly Hawaiian village as I do remember going to it as a child, and was thinking about it today, that is how I found Tiki Central by searching for the Village. Curious myself anyone have an update? I will go take photos if someone here hasn't already done so. P.S. I went and read the whole thread. I thought parts of the building could still be seen off of I-75. My parents are in their 80's I will ask them tomorrow what the place was like, their memory is better than mine, I was like 12 when I ate there.

[ Edited by: michele 2006-03-24 20:50 ]

Much mahalos for restarting this thread!! :D HOKU :tiki:

Like Michele searching for this place also led me to this forum.

My parents used to drive down to Holly from Flint, MI to eat here. They said it was good for the time.... but then again where in mid central Michigan could you get Polynesian or any other kind of quasi-chinese food?

They still have a Surfing Wahine drink mug from the place. My mom told me they had a menu at one time, but she hasn't seen it in years. Curses!

About 15 years ago I remember seeing some big maori stools and a beat up tiki bar at a flea market/resale shop in Pine Run, Michigan. I've always wondered if they were from this place after it shut down.....

Just a small item to add to this post. A hard to find swizzle stick from the Hawaiian Gardens. The Maori design looks to be the same as the one on the back of the menu for the Huki Lau at the gardens. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic.

Another addition.

J
jan posted on Thu, Jan 17, 2008 8:10 AM

This brought back memories...I used to go there for Sunday dinners w/my parents and sister back in the 60's. My sister and I would have those drinks w/the paper umbrellas in them.
The menu and swizzle sticks looked so familiar when I saw them posted here. It took us like an hour to get there because you couldn't get there on I-75 like you can now.
My husband and I have driven past the site a few times in the
last few yrs and I kept trying to remember the restaurant name
and other details. This really brought it back for me!!

Aloha Jan. Welcome aboard TC. Memories like your and others along with all the great photos here are what makes Tiki Central the great place it is. Enjoy.

I have a postcard of the interior of the Waitoma Grotto from the Hawaiian Gardens. It is not all that Tiki but certainly cool in its own right. That carpet, that Naugahyde (whoops, wrong post subject), just beautiful.

Nice rock wall. That establishment had quite a few postcards. None are really "Wow, amazing!" interiors. But I love that place. It is so much the epitome of Polynesian pop, in that it could not hold a candle to the big hotel-backed Tiki temples in terms of fully blown out Tiki art and decor, but the owners seemed so filled with their mission to bring Tiki to the area and its people.

That missionary fervor that comes through in their menu texts and in that great brochure really shows how Tiki fever inspired individuals to recreate Tiki style wherever, with what ever means they had at their disposal. They just conjured up the spirit of Tiki with their concepts and menu poetry. The fact that all that enthusiasm turned into a run down, boarded up, AAA Rehab motel just makes the story so much more poignant. But we can rest assured that some good times were had at the place.

I appreciate the matchbook cover with address and the photo of the grotto rock wall. I love that wall....

Last year I went driving around the area just east of Holly where the Hawaiian named streets were and could find neither hide nor hair of the building (I was looking for a conspicuous dome).

I mapquested the address from the matchbook. The overlayed satellite photos seem to show a large lot with a bulldozed region clear of buildings, but you can still see the outlines of what was once there. So its probably demolished. I go through the area occasionally, and will snap a photo of the lot to post anything that remains if interested. Lest anyone want to waste an afternoon going to search for the place when it doesn't exist anymore.

Hello all I just wanted to chime in on the swizzle and matchbook. The Maori swizzle stick is a very cool deign but it is not unique to that location it’s a stock stick I have a couple of other locations on the same design.
The matchbook art is a great example of appropriating images from another establishment, in this case the original matchbook was from Hawaiian Village of Tampa, who by the way “borrowed” their amazing swizzle stick design from the Hilton Hawaiian Village logo.

Bosko

Here's a side by side of both matchbooks just for fun. Both made by Universal Match, one from Universal Detroit and one from Universal Tampa. So which came first Detroit or Tampa ?

I’ll go out on a limb and say that Tampa HV is the original matchbook, I don’t know much about mid century Florida tourism but if postcards are any indication it must have been a big attraction. It looks like they had a big budget the swizzle was made exclusively for them usually a good gauge of how successful a business was or wanted to be perceived as. Their matchbook has the better art, the poles flanking the hula girl are embossed with the gold foil treatment, the girl is a better drawing, etc…
I also have one around here (someplace) that looks more similar to the Hawaiian Gardens from the Hula Hut.

Bosko

I have to agree with Bosko, the Hawaiian Village matchbook is the original and the Hawaiian Gardens is the knock-off. Speaking of that, here is another not-quite-so-good copy-cat of the Hawaiian Village matchbook from the South Pacific Restaurant in Arlington Virginia.

DC

Good stuff guys. It must be that Universal Match latched on to the design and started pumping it out for other establishments in a slightly altered fashion. The same drink menu graphics were also freely used from place to place also many dinner menu graphics. I just noticed that the South Pacific matchbook was made by McGregor & Warner Match Co. so we have another company hijacking the design also.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-11 05:07 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-11 05:08 ]

Love those side-by-side comparisons. The Michigan matchbook designer obviously did not have any clue, the Tikis on top of the pole have mustaches...or his favorite cocktail came in the Dr. Funk mug. :)

I always resisted using this style of matches in my books, because even for my taste that gold foil seemed -dare I say it?- too tacky and un-Polynesian.

On 2009-01-10 14:37, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
I also have one around here (someplace) that looks more similar to the Hawaiian Gardens from the Hula Hut.

Bosko

Bosko,

It would be great to see a comparison to that matchbook from the Hula Hut if you can find it. Thanks,

DC

Hey DC I still haven't located it but there is yet another example of the same cover on pg 3 of the matchbook thread, take a look.

Bosko

On 2009-01-10 17:15, Dustycajun wrote:

Another copycat from the recent matchbook thread that was posted by Zeta as pointed out by Bosko.

I wonder how many different ones of these are out there?

DC

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 11:18 AM

Caramba! The copy of the copy of the copy... As we all know, that's an important part of Tiki, (and life in general) the real thing and the Pop version.

C
Chub posted on Fri, Mar 13, 2009 12:12 PM

Just found these pics in the Wayne State University collection.

Great stuff!! Keep up the good work.

Yes, thanks for the photos, I find this place fascinating. It seems to incapsulate the spirit of the independent business trying its damndest to capture the allure of the big guns that were hotel-sponsored. The interiors are underwhelming, but all the material found on this venture shows how much the proprietors were into the theme, and how they put 100% into creating THEIR version of Polynesia Americana.

I wish I had the time and means to move to this little town and completely research the rise and final sad fate of this Tiki temple, it would be a great metaphor for America in the 20th century.

I happen to have a sister who lives there and is a city council member. I'll see if she's interesting in doing some sleuthing. What would help?

Pictures, stories of the old days, anything really. I have had good luck at my local history room at my local library. The local historical society may be of help as the local newspaper archives. All of these places maybe able to dig up some info. With your sister being local and in city government she would be in a great position for some Tiki detective work.

C
Chub posted on Sun, Mar 15, 2009 11:13 AM

I just noticed a small detail in one of the pictures I posted the other day. On the roof there are some cool little guys in a boat.

H

Years ago, I added this place to Critiki, but at the time the only information I could find was about the mobile park home (I didn't even have the address, just the name "Hawaiian Gardens" & the town). I remember it driving me crazy that I was coming up empty... I am entirely puzzled about missing this whole thread (maybe due to the "Waitoma Grotto" disconnect?). Years later, I've now made the connection! What a relief, this was making me nuts. I've beefed up Critiki's record:

Hawaiian Gardens Resort in Critiki

On 2009-03-15 09:10, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
I happen to have a sister who lives there and is a city council member. I'll see if she's interesting in doing some sleuthing. What would help?

Well...like what happened to the owners, Fred and Jane Barton, and the architect, Jim Livingston, and the other collaborators mentioned in the text below:

Apparently they were inspired by a trip to the Pacific islands to build this place:

(These menu texts courtesy of Mimi's Arkiva Tropika)

When did the place shut down, and why? Was it something else before the Motel became an AA meeting hall? And was that motel always in that gingerbread style? What were the shifts in the infrastructure of Holly, Michigan that made the Hawaiian Gardens an anachronism? (perhaps Auto-industry related?)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-15 14:20 ]

Assignment received... hope to report soon!

U

Here is a matchbook cover from the Hawaiian Gardens.

Wow, that is a great rendering! With the lake, it sure looks like Waikiki! :)

My sister, Jan Bungalow, says she is only too pleased to add to our information pile. She has a couple of meetings this week that may produce some info. Her first phone call, and she turned up this:

"Well, I got so excited when I saw those postcards, I couldn't wait to ask around at my meetings. I called Don Winglemire, the eighty year-old owner of a 150 year-old furniture store here in Holly, and asked him. That turned out to be a good call, because he provided all of the the furnishings for the Hawaiian Gardens complex.

Fred Barton founded the company Bar's Products (still located here in Holly), which makes Bar's Leaks radiator sealant, in 1947. Sometime after that he became very wealthy when a patent infringement lawsuit against Dow Chemical was decided in his favor. Needing to lose some money for tax purposes, he began his hobby business, Hawaiian Gardens.

The multi-million dollar complex included a restaurant, entertainment lounge, banquet room, and motel. It attracted guests from all over the country, many to make use of the motel's honeymoon suites. Most of the interior furnishings were custom-made. The "talking volcano" bar in the lounge was made of real lava stone embedded with colored lights and topped with glass. Recorded sounds of an erupting volcano emanated from it. The custom-made carpet was black with iridescent scarabs in the pattern that glistened in the darkness. A girl scout troop was employed to string the thousands of beads that hung floor to ceiling. Mr. Winglemire no longer remembers the name of the company that produced the bamboo furniture used throughout, but the metal furniture was produced by a company called Metalcraft. He has no idea what has become of all of the furnishings and fixtures.

The resort was still a going concern when Mr. Barton sold it to retire to Hawaii. Mr. Winglemire isn't exactly sure when the sale took place. Based on my friend's recollection, I'd say the sale occurred in the late sixties or early seventies. It changed hands twice more and ended its life as a drug rehab center. The owner of the rehab center died about ten years ago, and the business was shut down and the buildings torn down shortly thereafter. I have no idea why the buildings were destroyed. All that is left is the remains of a parking lot with weeds growing through the cracks.

Mr. and Mrs. Barton have passed on, but they have a daughter, Barb Soloko, who still lives here in town.

Here's one more tidbit from Mr. Winglemire I forgot to mention. Because the image of the tiki character is supposed to bring good luck, the Bartons had tiny plastic tiki images scattered on the tables so that every guest could take home a tiki, and thus take home good luck."

When she digs up more I'll post it here. In the meantime, I'll thank Jan on everyone's behalf.

Fantastic stuff Bongo. Your sister is doing a great service. The cracks are starting to fill in and the story is coming out. Great job. I can't wait to hear more. Many thanks from us up here in Michigan.

Yes, thank her from me, too. It sounds like Barton was a small version of Henry Kaiser. Those decor details are great. So if the Bartons DID retire to Hawaii, how come the daughter is still in town...and WHO were the other two owners....

And if the daughter kept any, nice B&W P.R. photos with the owners posing in their place are always great finds!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-16 12:51 ]

A side note to his invention that I thought was noteworthy. From the Bar's Leaks website. I believe this dates to the early 50's Cold war era. Make a fortune and start a Tiki Palace.

"Founded in 1947 by Fred Barton, Bar's Leaks was more than just a stop leak, it was history in the making!

The True story of How Bar’s Leaks Saved the USS Nautilus.

Bar's Leaks Yesterday:

In an automotive radiator a tiny leak might not mean disaster: But on a U.S. nuclear submarine during a top-secret mission under the Arctic ice cap, a tiny salt-water leak would have proven deadly for the sailors aboard the USS Nautilus were it not for the amazing stop leak capability of Bar’s Leaks.

Here is their true story:

En route to the polar ice cap, the engineering crew discovered that a small salt-water leak had developed on one of the nuclear reactor steam condensers. The leak was spilling sea water onto a critical piece of machinery, causing noxious fumes to fill the Engine and Maneuvering Rooms. A submarine is a labyrinth of tubes and pipes, so pinpointing the leak while at sea would have been impossible. Something had to be done.

In Seattle, the sub’s last port before embarking north, the commander had an idea to save the mission: He sent his men out to buy as much Bar’s Leaks as they could find. Dressed in civilian clothes, the crew covertly spread out over Seattle to purchase the legendary stop-leak solution.
With the Bar’s Leaks safely on board, sailors poured 70 quarts of it into the submarine’s condenser system.

It worked!

With the leak stopped, the USS Nautilus was able to complete its top-secret mission, becoming the first submarine to cross the North Pole underneath the Arctic ice cap."

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-16 15:40 ]

Trav- So once again, tiki saved the day! I love it!

Cold War intrigue, The fate of a nuclear submarine hangs in the balance, A revolutionary invention and the owner of a Tiki Palace. Sounds like the plot of a good 50's movie for sure. I bet his gentleman had allot of stories to tell.

Bongo, in case your sis does ask the daughter for photos, maybe she can impress her by the fact that her parents' place is in a book -in Tiki Modern page 178. I doubt she'll have the book handy but here is a j-peg:

On 2009-03-16 11:32, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Here's one more tidbit from Mr. Winglemire I forgot to mention. Because the image of the tiki character is supposed to bring good luck, the Bartons had tiny plastic tiki images scattered on the tables so that every guest could take home a tiki, and thus take home good luck."

That is a great detail, too! Those plastic Hei-Tiki were THE tourist item back then, and came in all sizes and uses. They probably imported them by the barrel:

This and the description on the back of their menu really shows that they must have become Polynesiacs on their Pacific trips:

It must have made quite an impression on the customers, too. How exotic!

You know the buttons to nudge people, don't you Sven? I agree that knowledge of your book might help loosen some people up. The residents of Holly are quite proud of their little burg.

A little archeology from up above. The black and white photo shows the buildings still there in 1999. The lake can be seen to the back of the compound.

This is a recent shot. All gone.

On 2009-03-17 03:07, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
You know the buttons to nudge people, don't you Sven? I agree that knowledge of your book might help loosen some people up. The residents of Holly are quite proud of their little burg.

It is not so much about buttons, but about giving the request for material some legitimacy in a town that, I would assume, has not become aware of any form of the Tiki revival yet. The fact that Jan is a member of the city council will certainly help, but you have no idea how folks involved in the mid-century Tiki culture reacted to my inquiries when I started researching it in the early 90s. They had experienced the "fall from grace" of their businesses, and gone on with their lives, onto something completely different most of the time. So for somebody to probe their Tiki past was just plain weird, or even suspicious to them. The be able to prove to them that this period is book-worthy now often changes that attitude.

Nice air archeology, Trav, those are the sad facts of Tiki devolution.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-17 10:06 ]

This has turned out to be a very informative and in depth thread. Very nice research from Bongo, Bigbro and Trav.

Here are a couple of postcards I have of the interior hotel rooms at the Hawaiian Gardens. You can see the custom bamboo furniture that was referenced by Bongo's sister earlier. Same kind of home made Hawaiian look to the rooms.

Here is the back of the card with a reference to the views of "Lake Oahu".

Fun stuff.

DC

Great cards Dusty. I was hoping you would have something out of your treasure stash. Thanks for posting those. I was looking back at all of the images in the post a noticed some thing curious ( to me anyway ).The first image is a photo that Chub came up with which shows a canoe on what looks to be the roof of one of the buildings.

Then in Sabu's post I noticed that the canoe is over the entry way attached to an outrigger feature. Looks to be either another canoe or it was moved at some point. Sabu's card of the exterior may not show the whole complex as I think this maybe a building out of frame from that card. Just got curious. Thanks.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-18 17:30 ]

Bigbro is that a drawing of the Hawaiian Gardens complex on the back of the menu? If so could you post a blown up image we could take a look at? Thanks.

Jan say's she found out that after changing hands, the Hawaiian Gardens became Vladimir's. Just a little looking around and I see there's a banquet hall in Farmington Hills, same part of the state, called Vladimir's, so perhaps they were conected? edit: yep, the very same

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2009-03-20 13:11 ]

Jan's prodding (instigated by TC's prodding)has got something started:

"Well, you have made one newspaper reporter and one newspaper editor very excited by your inquiry. They are going to do a story on Hawaiian Gardens. This means I can sit back and let them do all the research. They've already found an exact time line of when it was built, when it changed hands, etc. They are trying to locate the daughter, Ms Soloko, as we speak. I will, of course, send you a link to the article once it is published. It will be online with a service called "MLive", and will appear in the Fenton Press, a local paper owned by the Flint Journal."

I've told Jan we want pictures... let's see what developes.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies