Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Pictures

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies

Great pic!

T

Can we please have a consensus that apart from the squeezed-out lime shell float, the ONLY garnish for a correct Mai Tai is a lightly bruised mint sprig? What's with the whole damn botanical gardens in some of those?

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2022-09-14 16:04:05 ]

No.

If someone wants to use a pineapple spear and cherry, or an orchid, or some other garnish it doesn't bother me in the least.

I agree. The Mai Tail is a drink that is worthy of a little experimentation. I see Vic's recipe as the backbone. The drink allows some experimentation, imho.

One of my favorites from Foundation Bar in Milwaukee, WI. believe it or not!PXL_20220917_234247735

C0541270-77B2-479A-81E5-B95EA635973C

Just a bigger Mai Tai served up differently for two.

v3voVl

IMG_5522

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2022 9:25 PM

My first drink after taking a month break

IMG_8150

20221117_171316 I call this one my "sad hotel room" presentation.

T

I know it probably depends on just what rums are used but those drinks above look very light in colour to me.

Finally getting around to putting together pics and notes from our October trip to Oahu and Kauai. This was our 2nd trip to the Islands, with the first about 17 or so years ago with a child in tow. This time it was for totally geeking out on iconic mid-century and older hotels, sites, bars, and of course research!

The Mai Tai research results: “There are no losers here.” Even the last group of four, which would be kinda hard to recommended, still in Hawaii, it is still warm, there is a beach close by.

However, the first group were our favs. Any of which I would easily go back again and again.

!st five on list numbered

2nd five numbered

New 11-14 Numbered

New 4 15-18 Numbered

How many more numbered

last last Numbered

1: Monkeypod: Monkeypod Mai Tai 2: Moku: Monkeypod Mai Tai 3: Halekulani Hotel, Earl’s at House Without A Key: Mai Tai 4: Skull and Crown Trading Company: Dagger Mai Tai Skull and Crown Trading Company: Mauakea Mai Tai 5: Tahiti Nui Hanalei, Kauai: Tahiti Nui Mai Tai 6 : Royal Hawaiian Resort - Mai Tai Bar: Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai 7: Hilton Village Resort - Tapa Bar: Kauai Tai 8: Hilton Village Resort - Tapa Bar: Village Mai Tai
9: Hilton Garden Inn Kauai - Mamahune’s: Kapaa Ali’I Tai 10: Hilton Garden Inn Kauai - Mamahune’s : Trader Mac's Macadamia Mai Tai 11: Arnolds Beach Bar: Mai Tai 12: Sheraton Waikiki – Rumfire: Rumfire Signature Mai Tai 13: Tiki Iniki Princeville: Vic’s Top Shelf 14: Westin Moana Surfrider: The Beach Bar at the Moana - Moana Sunset Mai Tai 15: Lulu’s Waikiki: Mai Tai 16: La Mariana Sailing Club: Mai Tai 17: Duke’s Waikiki . Duke’s Mai Tai Duke’s Waikiki Vintage ’44 Mai Tai 18: Ilikai Hotel - The Splintered Paddle at Cinnamon's : Smoked Cinnamon Mai Tai 19: Kauai Shores Hotel - Lava Lava Beach Club: Huggo’s Mai Tai
20: Kauai Shores Hotel - Lava Lava Beach Club: Coconut Mai Tai. Kauai Shores Hotel - Lava Lava Beach Club: Bamboocha Mai Tai 21 : P.F. Chang’s: Chang’s Mai Tai 22: Disney’s Aulani Off the Hook Bar: Mai Tai
23: Lava Tube Mai Tai 24: Cuckoo Coconuts Mai Tai
25: Buho Mexican Restaurant Waikiki 26: Koloa Hawaiian Mai Tai

*Edited to add pic [ Edited by rum on the rideau on 2023-02-03 15:26:49 ]

[ Edited by rum on the rideau on 2023-02-03 16:23:01 ]

[ Edited by rum on the rideau on 2023-02-03 16:23:53 ]

Wow man, that is really cool

T

Well although we can't taste them, the first four do look to be the right colour. Although I have to ask what is the yellow froth? Nice pics....all of 'em!

Ingredients: Old Lahaina Light Rum, Old Lahaina Dark Rum, macadamia-nut orgeat, Marie Brizard Orange Curaçao, lime juice, Honey Liliko‘i foam

It all sounded really great and I was hanging out for one, ..... but then it lost me at the honey. Surely a venue's attempt to put their personal touch on a Classic?

DF8093AF-DA0D-4ABE-A4BF-83F15C1E07D5

IMG_6586

The "Vintage '44 Mai Tai" at Duke's Waikiki does have a little splash of pineapple (so, not really a '44) but is actually quite good and uses Koloa rums from Kauai. Way better than the standard Duke's Mai Tai made with POG juice.IMG_4734

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies