Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Pictures

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies

Ventiki Clement VSOP and Creole Scrub Mai Tai

BB

Here's another 12, I'm just 4 away from 100. :D

Top row left to right ~ Atlantis Seafood & Steak - Waikiki, HI, Circa - Manhattan Beach, Sassafras Saloon - Hollywood, Safari Room - Mission Hills.

Middle row left to right ~ Hotel Casa Del Mar - Santa Monica, Rincon Room [Home Bar] Ventura, Hale Hawaii - Torrance, Paul Martin’s - El Segundo.

Bottom row left to right ~ Yamashiro - Hollywood, Cinco - Westchester, Kealoha's Taste of the Islands & Mai Tai Lounge - Chino – CLOSED, Barcopa - Santa Monica.

All are from California except for the one from Atlantis.

My favorites were Sassafras and Circa, Paul Martin's was a cool surprise. The Hale Hawaii was tasty and drinks in the Rincon Room are always delicious.

H

Wow Boris, I am impressed. Thanks for the heads up on Sassafras. I will check it out tomorrow.

H

Boris, you were right one of the best Mai Tais I have tasted outside of my own bar in a long time.

BB

It's delicious!!

Made in one of my lounge glasses by my friend Greg.

Minnies, Modesto, California.

M T was okay, sorta Hawaiian stlyle.
Minnies is an old kine tiki bar, part of a chinese restaurant and well worth a visit or two or three... .
I didn’t try one and I forget the name but their signature drink has a 151 filled straw.
Bar Staff was supercool!
Cheers

Today being National Mai Tai Day, figured I'd bump this silly old thread with myriads of photos of bastardized mai tai's so everyone can learn from those mistakes and share pics of their beautiful, properly made 1944 Trader Vic Mai Tai's.

Of course you have this for reference: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20200&forum=10

I'm at work the next few hours so for now here's one of mine from a couple nights ago:

Your turn....

H

Santeria
St. James Hors d'Age
Lost Spirits Distillery Cuban Style 151 Float
Small Hands Orgeat
Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

[ Edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2016-06-30 17:54 ]

[ Edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2016-06-30 17:56 ]

Made two tonight. First up:

1/4 oz SC Demerara syrup
1/2 oz BG Reynolds orgeat
1/2 oz Clement creole shrub
3/4 oz Fresh lime juice
1 oz Appleton 12 (still not used to calling this stuff "Rare Blend")
1 oz El Dorado 12

Next up:

As above but cut 1/4 oz of the El Dorado and replaced it with LH151

J

Sparkling Mai Tai from the Smuggler's Cove book. All the traditional ingredients of rum, lime, orgeat, curacao, but with the added fun of sparkling wine.

C

2 mai tais using Martin Cate's recipe.. Yes, my girl enjoys the barrel mug.. I always cut the straws down so you smell the mint on each sip..

[ Edited by: cvcgolf 2016-07-01 19:37 ]

C

You are using some great products right there.. What is the rum on the left?.. Do you always use Grand Marinier?.. I need some good curacao recommendations.. Been using Senior & Company which is great but they might not have it at my local stores next time.. I need a back up plan just in case it's gone..

[ Edited by: cvcgolf 2016-07-02 11:00 ]

EJ

On 2016-07-02 10:59, cvcgolf wrote:
You are using some great products right there.. What is the rum on the left?.. Do you always use Grand Marinier?.. I need some good curacao recommendations.. Been using Senior & Company which is great but they might not have it at my local stores next time.. I need a back up plan just in case it's gone..

Lately I have been using Clement Creole Shrubb instead of curaçao. It's pretty tasty.

Yes I do usually use Grand Mariner unless I am making large batches. The rum on the left is the Clement XO which is no longer produced, so pick up a bottle if you see it. Cost a bit more than the Appleton 21 when it was available. A very tasty Mai Tai definitely!

Looks like Clement XO on the left. I use Senior curaçao when I'm putting an agricole rum (typically Clement VSOP) in my Mai Tai. I'll use creole shrub if I put a Demerara rum (typically El Dorado 12) instead of an agricole. i still haven't experimented with Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao nor have I stepped up to Grand Marnier or other orange flavored liqueurs. I really should.

BB

ADVENTURES IN ORGEAT

Day One:
Sojourned to local liquor store. Employees on hand have never even heard of orgeat syrup. They doubt it could be stocked in the future since they "don't do a lot of mixers." Scour supermarkets for, at the very least, almond coffee syrup - but to no avail. Procure almonds for attempt at homemade orgeat.

Day Two:
Made a trip all the way to the nearest health food / naturopathic store specifically to find orange blossom water. The cashier is at least familiar with the product this time, but they do not stock it. Only rose water. Decide if I'm going to do the rest from scratch I might as well make my own rose water while I'm at it.

Day Three:
Distilled rose water from the full blooming rosebush in the back yard (Perfect timing). Zested the entire rind of one orange, one lime, and one lemon and macerated in vodka. Toasted almonds in oven before pulverizing in food processor. Almonds are simmered in simple syrup, then left to rest for 3 hours. Syrup is strained from the now candied almonds, and 1oz each of the rose water and citrus vodka is added.

The Result:
The orgeat is very dark compared to most commercial varieties I've seen, and very nutty. I may have toasted the almonds too long.

The Drink:

On first attempt, the nuttiness is almost overpowering. The recipe that was used as a base must not have accounted for such a strong flavor. Less orgeat, more orange liqueur, and the balance is better.

A Mai tai probably shouldn't look like that. Order some bg Reynolds.

First time making a Mai Tai.
Very pleased with the results.

Used the recipe from Smuggler's Cove with 2 oz of Denizen Merchant's Reserve.

H

Nice picture and looks tasty.

CincyTikiCraig Those are nice glasses! Where'd you get those??

[ Edited by: Firetiger93 2017-03-22 13:05 ]

This is my gal's very first attempt ever at mixing a drink. I thought that a traditional Mai Tai was a simple enough starting point for her but she insisted on making my (slightly more complex) version of it and she knocked it outta the park first time at bat. So proud that I thought I had to share it with y'all.

That's cool man. Smith and Cross in a Mai Tai huh?

I'm a big fan of Rhum JM Gold. Must get myself a bottle of S&C sometime too.

Here’s four.

Cheers

BB

Happy National Mai Tai Day!

Happy National Mai Tai Day!!!!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-07-05 21:09 ]

S

I really need to get some mint planted.

The Below Decks Mai Tai!

This was a nine-rum Mai Tai I made for Real Mai Tai Day. A little bit of each of my favorite rums.

This has become my favorite combination for a Mai Tai.
The funk from Smith & Cross works perfectly!

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2017 7:59 PM

The first drink I made after observing Sober October had to be a Mai Tai.

After running my bottle of Clément VSOP down, I decided to try a new Martinique.
I opted to get a bottle of Rhum JM V.O. .
I’ve gotta say, while the Clément was a touch smoother, I think I prefer the bite of the Rhum JM.

This has become my new go-to Mai Tai blend.

I like to try different rum combinations with my Mai Tais to see how they come out. Normally I use Myers's and Havana Club 7 Year.

On 2017-12-17 12:28, davidphantomatic wrote:
After running my bottle of Clément VSOP down, I decided to try a new Martinique.
I opted to get a bottle of Rhum JM V.O. .
I’ve gotta say, while the Clément was a touch smoother, I think I prefer the bite of the Rhum JM.

This has become my new go-to Mai Tai blend.

I salute your taste David!

That's been my go-to Mai Tai blend for awhile now.

Cheers!!

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2018-01-10 10:41 ]

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2018 8:42 PM

I've pretty much decided that Plantation Xaycama has become my go-to Mai Tai rum.

It's hard to believe I've only been making Mai Tai's at home for 5 years. I'd say the quality of the cocktails, and photos, has improved pretty significantly since then.

DSCF3808 DSCF2207 DSCF7077 DSCF6184 DSCF5779 DSCF2866

Edit: Thanks to 3vab for the drag and drop tip.

[ Edited by davidphantomatic on 2022-03-17 10:58:36 ]

Two Mai Tais...

One is the Ultimate Mai Tai recipe and rum blend ½ oz Appleton Estate Rare Casks Aged 12 Years ½ oz Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum ½ oz Plantation OFTD ½ oz Plantation Xaymaca 1 oz Lime Juice ½ oz Orgeat (Latitude 29) ½ oz Orange Curacao (Ferrand Dry Curacao) ¼ oz Demerara Syrup (BG Reynolds) Garnish with mint sprig and spent lime shell

And other uses a different rum blend. Ultimate Mai Tai Jamaican Rum Blend 2 parts Appleton 12 Rare Casks (43% ABV) 2 parts Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum (57% ABV) 1 part Worth Park 109 (54.5% ABV) IMG_0537

[ Edited by kevincrossman on 2022-03-17 18:24:31 ]

[ Edited by kevincrossman on 2022-03-17 18:24:39 ]

1 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz homemade orgeat
1/2 oz Clement creole shrubb
1/2 oz Clement VSOP
1.5 oz Smith & Cross

Ain’t bad.

8489B7A3-2531-4947-B4DF-B46F7A9942CD

[Edit: Formatting]

[ Edited by mikehooker on 2022-03-18 21:01:35 ]

[ Edited by mikehooker on 2022-03-18 21:42:26 ]

Had a very nice Mai Tai at Dr. Funk in San Jose with just Appleton 12 Jamaican Rum. This produced a cocktail that was less boozy and less funky than Dr. Funk’s standard Mai Tai that is made with Appleton 12 and higher proof Smith & Cross Jamaican rum. I’m often a big fan of Mai Tais made just with Appleton 12, though the one with Smith & Cross is better at Dr. Funk.

Most good bars will allow customers to try cocktails with a different, name-called spirit when requested by the customer (always politely, of course). We usually do this in a Mai Tai, but for rums a Daiquiri is also a good option. This can be a great way to discover new rums, especially if you’re not keen on drinking them neat. Dr. Funk has an expanding rum list (which has grown so large it’s no longer listed on the menu), so I’m looking forward to exploring their selection.

Speaking of Dr. Funk, we’re having the monthly 1st Sunday Ohana meet-up starting when they open at 4:00 and ending … later. I know many of the local folks will be attending the Brunch and Fashion Show at Trader Vic’s that same day but try to join us if you can or if you’re skipping Vic’s. IMG_0612

Made this one with Merchants Reserve IMG_6321

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies