Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Pictures

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies

K

Wow - Mai Tai and Marlboro - that's kickin' it Old School, baby!

H
Helz posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2006 11:46 AM

I know this isn't exactly keeping with the theme of the thread...but one of my favorite Mai Tai's ever...

A couple of weeks ago my wife hosted a baby shower at our house. It seems I am destined to be a grandfather soon. The baby is due between Christmas and New Years Eve. The only really scary part is that means soon I will be sleeping with a grandma and I am certainly not old enough for that! Anyways, the shower was girls only which meant I wouldn't be around to be the bartender. I found this drink fountain at the local grocery store and the shower seemed a good excuse to buy a new toy. I made a kind of Mai Tai punch and left the fountain running for the shower. It was a big hit and I had a request to take the show on the road as it were and so yesterday I set up my Mai Tai fountain for a christening party. I know my Mai Tais are too pink. This is not a classic recipe. It works in the fountain though. So here's a picture of my Mai Tai fountain.

A

Speaking of mai tais, I was at a party recently where everyone was supposed to bring their own mixers and the hosts would provide the alcohol. So I brought TV Mai Tai mix. The only rum available at the party was Bacardi and Flor de Cana (which I'd never had). There was no shaker to be found so I simply mixed the ingredients and stirred with a swizzle. It was OK, but seemed a little off. I mentioned this to someone and they searched around and found me a shaker. I poured my drink in the shaker, shook it, and then returned the drink to my glass. Although I've always known that shaking a drink is important, I was astounded at the difference a few vigorous moves can make. The mai tai was 100% better. I shall forever "James Bond" my drinks from now on! (how's that for the invention of a new verb?)

T

On 2006-12-10 11:46, HelzTiki wrote:
I know this isn't exactly keeping with the theme of the thread...but one of my favorite Mai Tai's ever...

Awesome! I'm still laughing my arse off. That's hilarious - I can hear it now: "No thanks, beer's ok, but I'll have a mai tai"!!!

T

On 2006-12-10 08:04, foamy wrote:
Home-built Mai Tai. She had eaten the pineapple already.

I love Marlboros and Mai Tais - it's a great combination. I am sorry to report however, (well, maybe not "sorry" per se), but I quit smoking exactly one year ago yesterday. I miss my Marlboros. Boo hoo. But I've saved enuf money to accumulate a nice collection of chisels.

O

The Infamous Warehouse Mai Tai "With a touch of grenadine for color" Pretty to look at it but needs work.

K

Tikigap - so I guess you could say you traded nails for chisels.

Our Mai Tais at La Mariana Sailing Club, Honolulu, as the sun was setting over the marina, Nov 21, 2006. How can life get much better?

• Myke
T

On 2006-12-14 00:21, Koolau wrote:
Tikigap - so I guess you could say you traded nails for chisels.

Yeah, it's worth it too. Thanks!

Myke - your mai tai is fabulous! I love the Sailing club - I've been there once - last year. It was great!

F
foamy posted on Fri, Dec 15, 2006 8:43 AM

[i]On 2006-12-13 15:34, tikigap wrote:

I love Marlboros and Mai Tais - it's a great combination. I am sorry to report however, (well, maybe not "sorry" per se), but I quit smoking exactly one year ago yesterday. I miss my Marlboros. Boo hoo. But I've saved enuf money to accumulate a nice collection of chisels.

Delighted to hear that tikigap. How'd you do it? For me, it is more than just a notion. I've tried a few approaches. No dice. Hope to see you again, one of these days.

T

On 2006-12-15 08:43, foamy wrote:

[i]On 2006-12-13 15:34, tikigap wrote:

Delighted to hear that tikigap. How'd you do it? For me, it is more than just a notion. I've tried a few approaches. No dice. Hope to see you again, one of these days.

Thanks Foamy - It was easier than I thought. I've tried to quit many times, but this time I really "wanted" to. It's sounds trite, I know, but that was it. I had been using the patch while in Hawaii (long flights = no smoking), and it worked out that we would be staying in a guy's treehouse on the big island for a few days (treehouse = no smoking too). So I just kept using the patch until they ran out, and I didn't buy any more smokes (smokes = very expensive everywhere, but especially Hawaii).

I'm still tempted all the time, and many of my friends still smoke, but I just bit the bullet and followed Nancy Reagan's advise: Just Say No. Again, trite, but true.

Yeah! It's been quite a while since we've met. I hear there may be a tiki-themed new years party in the Washington burbs on Saturday 30 December. If it materializes, I'll let you know, and maybe we can hang.

Aloha!

Kyle's Mai Tai from the Warehouse with grenadine

Danny's version without grenadine and they both use Lahiana dark rum.

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his life plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-15 18:03 ]

Excellent mai tai at Mama's Fish House restaurant on Maui! And the view ain't bad either....

• Myke

T

A bunch of us went to Mama's fish house almost exactly one year ago today:

I'm not in the picture, but my drink is! It was very good.

Specialty of the House here at Ealoli - "Pink Slip" Mai Tais.

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2007-10-21 10:30 ]

Andy is one of the loveliest barmaids EVER! and having a Mai Tai at Chip'n'Andy's place is a real privilege. I wish I was going over there tonight!

Mai Tai

the before minus the FRESH limes...

H

And fresh mint???

Did someone say... FRESH MINT!!!

H

I was at a party recently, were on the last day it is a tradition to move the party into the river. Our group mixes huge drinks that 20 or 30 people can share. So this year I mixed up one of Beach Bum Berry's Mai Tais scaled up to a 1 gallon size.

Check it out.

Mai Tais by the gallon! What a concept! Here we're currently paying $2.79 a gallon for gasoline . . . I wonder what the per-gallon cost is of that Beachbum Berry Mai Tai? Whatever it is . . . I'll bet nobody complains about it!

Took longer to take the pic than drink!!!

Mama's

La Mariana

These are from our trip three weeks ago.

This is my friend Maitane (yes, her name is Maitane) with that mai tai I mixed for her.

http://bastardosaffrin.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: BastardoSaffrin 2007-10-22 23:39 ]

On 2007-10-21 09:22, captnkirk wrote:
I was at a party recently, were on the last day it is a tradition to move the party into the river.

A party that last for days AND ends up in a river??? WOW, sounds like my kind of party!!

On 2007-10-22 14:37, BastardoSaffrin wrote:

This is my friend Maitane (yes, her name is Maitane) with that mai tai I mixed for her.

http://bastardosaffrin.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: BastardoSaffrin 2007-10-22 23:39 ]

Hostia, tio, ¿por donde se consigue un Mai Tai por allí? El año pasado fuí a Kahiki, y nada. mucho zumo, poco ron.

Coño, vaya inglés más raro os gastáis en Boston! :) Switchin' back to English: Yes, if you order a Mai Tai in Kahiki, you get anything but a Mai Tai. Same happens in Aloha. You know, loads of juices, liquors and other sweet and syrupy stuff that don't let you taste the flavour of rum, assuming you have rum in your drink. And they call it Mai Tai, but it's not.

BUT if you head to Kahala, up in Diagonal, it's something different. Last saturday I decided to ask the waiter how did they prepare the Mai Tai, because if you look at the menu they don't have it in the list of drinks with tiki mugs, but in another section kind of "tropical cocktails", with the daikiris, mojitos, caipirinhas and stuff, so it seems they take it seriously. The answer of the busy waiter was something like "white rum, dark rum, lemon, almond, curaçao". Yes, they use lemon instead of lime juice, so it was less tart that it should be, and it missed the fresh mint. They also use ice cubes instead of crushed ice, but it's the closest thing to a Mai Tai you can have in a tiki bar in Spain.

Um, and it's served in an old-fashioned glass instead of a tiki mug, and that's fine.

Also you can head to my place and I'll mix you a real Mai Tai with limes, mint and stuff!

Hasta luego,

Also you can head to my place and I'll mix you a real Mai Tai with limes, mint and stuff!

Hasta luego,

That sounds like the plan! I don't get over there nearly enough, but when I'm there again, y quien coño sabe cuando, I'll take you up on that. Thanks!

T

You know, it sounds like you've got something there, Mr. Bastardo. I think you should open up a "real" tiki bar in Spain and serve correct Mai Tais! Let me know if you do; I might be interested in a silent partner arrangement!

Yes, that is some fantasy of me and my wahine... But after 30 seconds of thinking about it, we realise it's too much work and we don't know exactly how to manage it... So I mix two more Mai Tais and everything is OK again!

T

My first Mai Tai at the Mai-Kai! Can't wait to return!

Here's a few that I've had in the past few months.

• I’ve re-shot the Good Luck Bar Mai Tai to get the Dragon Swizzle facing the right way.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2008-03-26 21:58 ]

T

Wow! Nice collection! I'll have to get my camera out this weekend... what an inspiration!

Very Nice Bora Boris! I'm jealous....

Why did they not stir the one in the lower left corner? It looks like the poured all of the ingredients into layers instead of actually mixing the drink....

And where did the one in the lower right corner come from? I like the swizzle, but I'm scared of pink Mai-Tais.

Actually, it looks like a couple of them are done in layers. Are the bars you frequent to busy to actually mix the cocktails? Is the layer effect becoming common on the West Coast?

Thanks Tikigap! It turned out much better than I thought it would so now I am also inspired to drink/photograph more but I have come up with some rules –

• No Repeats
• No Chains = California Pizza Kitchen, TGI Friday's, Islands places like that but there are some exceptions and obviously Trader Vic’s doesn’t count.
• No places that list Bacardi® or Grenadine as ingredients on the menu. If those ingredients are in there they’re in there but at least I won’t know in advance.
That should do it. (Man I am full of myself!)

Chip and Andy the drinks are ~

First row left to right ~ Trader Vic’s Emeryville • Tiki-Ti • Forbidden Island • Bahooka

Second row left to right ~ Bali Hai San Diego • Tony’s Fish Market - Redondo Beach • Damon’s • The Tonga Hut

Third row left to right ~ Sam’s Seafood • Atomiktty’s Mai Tai from the Tiki Modern Party at 8 Ball • Shintaro a Japanese Restaurant here in Hollywood and the Pink one is from the Good Luck Bar.

The Swizzle is actually backward but it’s so dark in there I couldn’t tell. (I’ve re-shot the Good Luck Bar Mai Tai to get the Dragon Swizzle facing the right way.) None of the places with the rum float were busy; I just think they don’t know what they’re doing or that it’s “Their Version of a Mai Tai” which gives me a headache first when I hear it and then again when I drink it.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2010-10-23 19:54 ]

ya know whats weird? WILDSVILLE hasn't invaded this forum yet with his GRENADINE & PINEAPPLE JUICE based Bacardi Mai Tai ®

this is on my cel... I send it to people who NEED drinks while on the phone....thanx for the glass, TV

ahuka a'la a'la palu

BB MoondoggyO

sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2007-12-27 07:40 ]

Boris, that's excellent I love it. Now just add yours (Borai Tai?) to the end for the perfect finish :wink:

O

Very cool pictures Boris.
One of the only good things about Trader Vic's Las Vegas.

Here's my homemade one - has anyone tried this brand of Martinique rum (Ibarra)? Should Martinique be made in Mexico? It was the only one they had at the Long Beach BevMo.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-02-14 20:55 ]

D

The Mrs. and me enjoying a triple Mai Tai in the Munktiki Volcano Bowl

thought I'd revive this thread w/ a comparison photo of a FI/TV taste test I conducted recently

O

Tiki Caliente Grog Log Mai Tai room party.

Here is my home made Mai Tai with my fav rum for Mai Tais, the 15 year old Silver Seal Demerara rum..I call it my "Killer Mai Tai" because the Silver Seal 15 year Demerara rum marries the other ingredients (Trader Vics recipe with 2 oz of the rum) in a way that is magic..

T

Wow! 15 year old demarara. I wonder if we can get that here in ole' Virginia USA. That drink looks pretty tasty!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 258 replies