Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies

T

On 2017-01-13 14:13, Cavemoai wrote:
Skip, did you put that ship's wheel in resin? Killer lamp!

Thank you, and yes I did.

Great job Skip! How many coats of amber shellac do you apply to a light that size.? Do you use it straight from the can or dilute it some how. Your lights have the look and feel of being hung in a bar for sixty years or more and I mean that in the very best way. You have captured the perfect look for the classic home bar. Keep the updates coming.

T

Thanks,
I do many coats of different things not just shellac.
But I also burn it to get some age.
You can see I flamed the rope here,I don't see people doing that much.

AND remember the Hat and basket ARE old so many times, time IS what aged my lights.
If I get new shiny chain I put it outside to rust, or even in my pond, bucket of salt water.

Plus I look long and hard for old stuff to make lights, chain, pulleys, baskets and hats.
That's why my house shed and garage is a wreak, that and I'm just kinda messy.

BUT yes most of the time it is one coat of shellac, as shellac gets old it will get darker all by itself as the alcohol evaporates, that is in the can before you put in on.
But this can take years.

Thanks Skip. With your inspiration I may have to try a very amateurish light one of these days.

T

"I may have to try a very amateurish light one of these days."
Trav I have more than a few of these very amateurish lights I made when I first started that I don't show here on TC.

You need to try things of interest and find what is your niche.
Make stuff people!!

Skip, we would love to have a few of your lamps for our tiki bar. How can we go about ordering?

T

On 2017-01-17 11:29, Jeff Bannow wrote:
Skip, we would love to have a few of your lamps for our tiki bar. How can we go about ordering?

That is a hard question to answer.
I do have a few at this time.
Should put some up here or on eBay as I have not sold on eBay for some time now.

Just sold about nine lights but then that guy came here to Ohio and met me.
Will you be in Columbus Ohio any time soon?

It is best to come here and see what I have as selling via the net can be kinda hard.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''**'''
Life is a blow up doll, **** it!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

R

excellent work as always Skip!

Oh danggggg Skipper, awesome

RV in the house....
:)

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2017 4:59 PM

Those look fantastic Skip!

H

Very nice.

T

Thanks all!

Rvic you need to get back to makin stuff!

The one with the ship's wheel is not done yet as I want to put some color on the end part.
It will be cool, stay tuned.

Getting lots o people that want to buy some of these, and I do sell most every light I make in due time.

The thing is shipping is so dam high.

Lights like the tapa ones would be around $40.00 to $50.00 bucks to ship would guess.
Dam it's even hard to find a box that big, Those hats make it hard.
Plus shipping to Canada for some reason is a pain in the butt.

Thank you for your interest in my lights, it's so cool to send them all over the world.

More to come as spring is on it's way!!

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Skip,

Do you have a light for sale like this? I have your green one, but would also like red. Thanks.

I do not have one of those at this time.
Thank you for buying my light, the green is harder to come by that is I made less of them.

Don't know when I will make another, got lots of other lights to do before that style.

That is the style most people want, that and the napkin swizzle holder thing.

You're most welcome.....I've really enjoyed the green one. just keep me in mind if you do make another . Thanks

[ Edited by: Mr Lucy Diamond Tiki 2017-02-21 20:48 ]

T

Will do.
The knots on that one look really close together.
Must be one of the early ones I did.

Just so you know that I am one of your lurkers. I check up on what you make often. You are so talented. The perfection of your lamps just blows my mind.
You rock, Wendy

Thank you Wendy.

T

With the holiday coming up quick I thought I should post a line to remind people to stop and think about what's important about this holiday and what it means......

FIREWORKS!!!

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2023-05-14 06:37:54 ]

As we learned from The Simpsons, "Celebrate the independence of your nation by blowing up a small part of it." :wink:

now that you are up and about when you gonna come out here and do a lowbrow aloha show ?

T

Well last November this guy asked for some lights for his tiki bar Tiki Underground here in Ohio.
I took a bunch of lights for him to see and he bought almost all of them.

Damn I gave him some good deals, saw lights from eBay that cost way more than mine at his place.
oh well, sellers remorse.

Buuut I don't have much to sell at this time is the main point.

yours is a show that looks awesome and would love to do it or even come and shop.

I want one of those shrunken heads that guy sells.

What do you have for sale now, anything?

Keep thinking about that ssnd dollar lamp we missed last year. Sister would have loved it...

T

Well I always have something really but am really low now as I have sold a bunch lately.
Some really cool ones just went to San Francisco here...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=52147&forum=20&start=15&28

Will show some of what I have been working on soon.
Hope you can make it out sometime as well, our Christmas lights are up
with all our blow molds.
Would be cool for you to see that too.

LOVE that orange lamp!

T

It is less orange in person, and a change of the bulb gives a different color as well.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Skip, have you made any lamps for the LED Flame Bulbs?

T

Well not tiki lights.
I did put them in my outdoor Christmas candles last year and this year.
And they look good in those.

They would add a lot to the price of lights I make and sell.
Try to keep prices low on the lights I sell.

Will at some point and time use them in a light or two as a soft flicker adds to a bar I think.
I have used the old flames bulbs in other tiki bar lights and that worked well.

You need to hide the bulb in these lights so that means a frosted globe and these are kinda big bulbs.
So that may be a problem.
We will see.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

T

HAPPY 4th!!!

T

Man just flew from the 4th of July through Christmas and right back to Thanksgiving have not posted here much.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

T

HAPPY?
ST PATRICKS DAY!!!

Such crazy times but it made me think as we looked for toilet paper and never found any how our lives till now have been filled with getting whatever we wanted just the right brand even right when we wanted it.

How many people in the world have a life of just looking for food while we collect our 100th tiki mug.

Count yourselves lucky.

Be safe.

Taken on Friday before the ban on bars in Ohio on Sunday 3/22/2020.

Well put Skip!! Now there probably will be a run on booze and beer. We’re in the same boat up here north of you. Crazy shit for sure!

T

IMG_0904 (2)

Here are some incandescent light bulbs I often use and just heard the other day these are also going to be fazed out by 2023. This will surly save the world but till that time get all you can I say.

Christmas without C9s I don't even want to live in that world.

"What about LEDs they are so much better", I just don't like em. Might be the stubborn old guy in me or the three to four times the cost of them, maybe it's the blueish cast the regular LED bulbs give out.

"Sure they cost more but they last longer" do they now, I was made to change the sockets and bulbs to LED bulbs on a few lights I sold to a place here and those lights looked fine after ( had to buy the even more costly antique looking LED bulbs) BUT my wife and I went into the place like three months after I sold them those lights and one light was out. And both those bulbs were brand new, heck they even just came out with the antique LEDs.

How could this be those LEDs last forever! AND the guy said he just changed the other LED bulb the day before!

So here is what they may have left out of the tests on these LED bulbs to get the results they wanted. Power outages, when I worked at OSU changing light bulbs and then later on the High voltage crew I found that after a power outage the lights would be blown out all over campus.

Working on the High voltage crew later when installing surge arrestors on High voltage switch gears I was told that when you throw the switch on after you fix that power outage a surge of power goes down the power line.

These arrestors would take that surge to ground to save the switch gear. I never did find out if the lights on campus did not blow out as much after a power outage after we put in the surge arrestors, cuz hey I was no longer changing light bulbs and ballasts.

It did help the save the switch gear, and we got less overtime due to blowouts.

You get the same surge with lightning strikes only more so.

Only wish I could live long enough to hear these new whippersnappers gripe when they get rid of LEDs they now like so well for some other new light.

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-05-19 19:21:56 ]

T

One more thing you can get these surge arrestors or lightning protectors put on your fuse box at home to protect your house from surges too.

An electrician can do this for you, it is really not hard to do, I put mine on.

Christmas without C9s I don't even want to live in that world.

Hear, hear.

I don't know how to describe what the LED Christmas lights look like to me. Maybe it is the blue tint, but part of it is that they lack any warmth.

And as for LED lasting longer than incandescent....

http://centennialbulb.org

T

"A LED light bulb will have a “Driver” circuit built-in. This driver would have a rectifier and most likely a transistor regulator."

SO these circuits and transistors are to me what make these lights not last so long. You get a surge to those things and they blow.

BUT some guy somewhere wants us to use a type of light that he thinks is best and bam no more incandescent light bulbs.

Then ya find out that guy or scientist is paid by the LED guys. Thats what most of those research/science people are doing in universities working for some big corp/govt trying to find the reason you should not use coconut oil so you will use canola oil or attack some other product.

That's true that did happen and they stopped using coconut oil only to find that the scientist were wrong costing the coconut oil people millions because they stopped popping pop corn in it at movie theaters.

A big win for canola oil people who were just trying to do what's best for us, and pad their pockets.

T

April 17, 2012 Pulling the Curtains on Another CSPI Scare Campaign: Coconut Oil and Popcorn https://coconutoil.com/pulling-the-curtains-on-another-cspi-scare-campaign-coconut-oil-and-popcorn/

I think you're dead on when it comes to surge protection, Skip. Working with RF broadcasting equipment, I can recall several times when one particular transmitter kept having components blow for no discernable reason. Our engineer's best guess was that transients were making their way past the old surge protector and popping the occasional piece in the power supply. These days with delicate electronics everywhere, and a power grid that was designed and built patchwork over the last 100 years, everyone really should have surge protection built right into their switch box to save a lot of heartache and headaches.

T

Thank you for that firsthand account of what you found Bam Bam. I hold the most stock in stuff like that as most times firsthand accounts don't come with an agenda to get you to think one way or the other.

Be skeptical people and don't believe everything you are told, that's all I ask.

Ok, on to some tiki stuff.

Here is a new bar hanger barrel just did. used to find these all the time for like 5-10 bucks. Now they are $20.00 or more when I see them.

Got about ten or more of them they would be great shelf stands.

Just add some rope work and a hook plus a cork and yer done.

IMG_0906

IMG_0909 (2)

IMG_0905 (1)

T

New tiki bar light.

Going to remove that broom like fringe just wanted a pic of it before I do.

IMG_0945 (2)

IMG_0942 (2)

IMG_0932

IMG_0934 (2)

Update here is that same light after I removed the broom like stuff from the edges of the hat. Was also able to get the chain link I made to add old chain to the light a bit closer to the same color as the old stuff.

IMG_0947 (2)

IMG_0948 (3)

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-06-09 07:01:03 ]

Good call; I think removing the rest of that fringe is an improvement (like cutting a mullet). Where'd that lamp come from?

S

Removing the fringe made a big difference and it does look much better without it. The body, with the lid, has a great shape to it.

[ Edited by swizzle on 2022-06-10 21:41:14 ]

T

I found the body part it was just a frame with no covering net, paper, so had to do ten net panels and then ten paper panels been messing around with this light for months now.

But the hat came that way so that's where the fringe came from still wanted to document it.

Think we bought those two items like over a year apart from each other, so it takes time to find the right stuff that goes together well.

When I die there will be all these light parts laying around everywhere.

Kinda looks like a Polynesian traffic light.

Really like the way this one turned out.

Thanx for the feedback.

T

Well have not posted here in some time now most of the lights I had have sold and wanted to post some pics of them in the bar they went to.

And what a bar it is!

It is the home of Sam and Heather he's on here but forget his TC name his bar is not on here and that is so wrong as it has the most Witco I have seen in a bar, Damn it's in the whole house!

Well, we have been to Hala Kahiki, but Sam's bar has more rare stuff I would say.

Those are 7-to-8-foot Witco tikis he has just like five HUGE Witco and other tiki in his bar and much more.

So, Sam start a thread and get that bar on TC!

Will post more pics soon.

Heather with my wife Barb.... IMG_1071 (2) Two Big a$$ Witco. IMG_1074 (1) A blue float I made/sold Sam... IMG_1070 (2) IMG_1072 (2) This one is kinda artisy... IMG_1067 (2)

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-11-07 18:43:01 ]

M

That is impressive to say the least. Wow!

Thanks Skip! So proud to hang your lights down there! I will be posting a bar thread on here soon for sure

T

Thanks Sam like to sell lights to a bar like yours as I know they will be around and cared for forever.

Here are a few of the lights Sam just hung up.

image1-004 image3-001 image2-002 image2-001

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-11-13 07:54:00 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies