Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki displaying, if ya aint got a bar :(

Pages: 1 18 replies

HH

Ok Im sure Im not the only one out there who doesnt have a cool tiki bar of there own. We've seen pics of all those really coveted bars, but I'd like to see the other half. Us few who dont have bar but really nice display set up or rooms just tiki'd to da max. So post some pics, Ill post some tommarow cuz I have a cheapy kine webcam No flash :(

no, you aren't the only one that does tiki without the bar. I already have a 50's atomic style bar, so I decided to do Tiki in my family room instead. It is is all paneled in knotty pine (the real stuff, not the yucky fake paneling), and I've decorated with Witco, some killer tropical Paint by numbers,leafy but modern barkcloth drapes and danish mod furniture. I have a small tiki mug collection, nothing major since I don't need them for actual barware. This has saved my budget for the wall decor and furniture, which is alot of fun. I've wanted to ask almost the same question of the tiki centralites, since I know not everyone has a bar, and I actually prefer my tiki stash in the room I use the most. (our bar doesn't see much action, but the holidays are coming up!) I'll try to figure out how to post pics, if not, email me!

I don't have a bar either, YET. We are going to remodel our basement into a bar once we pay off the new roof we had to get on our pad. I am stockpiling stuff for the bar already. So in the meantime I have a combo 1950's/tiki kitchen. There are tikis on the stove and walls, together with all the kitschy 50's atomic stuff I've been collecting. (Luckily our house came with turquoise formica in the kitchen.)

We don't have a tiki bar either and really no place to build one... so we converted our dining room into a tiki-theme room! There are pictures from the Tiki Room on the walls and tropical plants and a fish-mobile, etc. This is a fairly old picture and when I finally get a digi camera I'll post updated ones.

We have since put up a few fishnets and a shelf for all of our tiki mugs.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2002-12-01 16:09 ]

S

Living in a small apartment on South Beach limited my bar-building options, so I bought a cheap glass table from Pier 1 and set up shop on a spare wall in the Living Room...

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2002-12-01 18:34 ]

HH

wow nice sobe I like the mini bar Idea, think im gonna have to fit that in my room somewhere.

Futura, your pad is way hip.

ok hers some pics ,sorry for them being so dark and blury but its dark and i dont have
a flash.
OK starting from the left all the way around, I dont have a lot of mugs more Hawaiiana.

I plan to light the bird cage one day

a little cover I made, makes the room darker.

the mess of a computer desk, wish I could place a bar here.

I have a lot more planned, too bad there so dark.

Yea not all of us can have a tiki bar. I am a college student and am too poor to get my own. I want to get one of these small display cases you can hang on you wall and frame the small case with bamboo. I see these kinds of cases for collectables at all kinds of craft shows

Hi
These are not the greatest pics (simple auto camera with flash and mostly my bad photography skills. Also we did not take these pics to show the place so I appologize for blocking the view...
We "Tikified" our living room. It's a rented place and we can't do any real changes. Also it's kinda hard to get the decor around here.
We can't really clutter up the ceiling because it's really hard to drill in it.
When we'll have our own place, someday, hopefully, we'll make it better.

Behind my lovely wife, Dale, you can sorta see a display case that has our Tiki Mugs, Bowls, Beachbum Berry's books, swizle sticks, shag stuff and more.

Moving Clockwise around the room you can see the corner near the door. The small Moai is from OA.

The 2 small Tikis are alos from OA. The Tiki Torches are from ACE, and the big Moai like fellow is my first attempt at Tiki fabrication. It's plaster over a wire + chicken wire frame.

I'm enjoying our first Rum Keg...BTW - all the chairs were painted/covered by my wife, the pillows were covered by her, she also painted the surf board (it's a prop for our band's shows).

That's it, I guess. I'll post better pics if I have any in the future.

Ran

That big Moai is awesome...great job. You may have a place of your own sooner than you think...I understand Iraqi real estate is about to get real, real cheap!

Kick The Reverb, your pad is terrific and that Moai is incredible! I also dig your flames painted dresser/table thing. Youve inspired me to try a paper mache moai!

Thanks Basement Kahuna & TikiGoddess!
Kahuna - good one...well, I'll try to remembr that with the gas mask on :wink:
Goddess - the dresser is a piece of junk my wife found, we dragged it home and she painted it...she also painted and covered a matching stool. It's funny, but most of the furniture we have is either junk my wife found or stuff that was given to us... the expensive items were that cane and bamboo wall coverings, which we bought for a roof top party, and making the big Moai (it took a LOT of plaster...) which I built for that party. The display case we got from Ikea, it wasn't cheap but it was a Chanukkah present from my wife's mother.
Good luck on that paper mache! I think the best advice I can give is to make as much as you can with the frame, than you have less work trying to form stuff from the paper itself. I never did paper mache, but I think the principal is similar. I used a semi flexible wire "fence" that they sell at gardening supply stores to put around trees, than bent the features from the same "fence". My initial idea was to bend it from heavy wire, and i made that with the ears, and this is why the're not as good as the nose or the forehead. after I had the main features on I covered everything with chicken wire tied with thin wire to the main frame.

Mahalo
Ran

C

Here is a shot of part of my tiki collection and a couple of my ever growing tiki garden. I will post some pics of my new mug shelf any day now.
Cheers and thanks for sharing!
Chongolio

On 2002-12-05 14:57, kick_the-reverb wrote:
Thanks Basement Kahuna & TikiGoddess!
Kahuna - good one...well, I'll try to remembr that with the gas mask on :wink:
Goddess - the dresser is a piece of junk my wife found, we dragged it home and she painted it...she also painted and covered a matching stool. It's funny, but most of the furniture we have is either junk my wife found or stuff that was given to us... the expensive items were that cane and bamboo wall coverings, which we bought for a roof top party, and making the big Moai (it took a LOT of plaster...) which I built for that party. The display case we got from Ikea, it wasn't cheap but it was a Chanukkah present from my wife's mother.
Good luck on that paper mache! I think the best advice I can give is to make as much as you can with the frame, than you have less work trying to form stuff from the paper itself. I never did paper mache, but I think the principal is similar. I used a semi flexible wire "fence" that they sell at gardening supply stores to put around trees, than bent the features from the same "fence". My initial idea was to bend it from heavy wire, and i made that with the ears, and this is why the're not as good as the nose or the forehead. after I had the main features on I covered everything with chicken wire tied with thin wire to the main frame.

Mahalo
Ran

okay, here's my first shot at posting pics, hopefully it will work.

imghttp://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2cc05b3127cce92aa45b2ae1b0000001010[/img]

Very cool. Hit the edit button and see how it looks.

Hey Tiki-Troll...You forgot the [ ] around the first "img".

ohhhhhhhh.....duh!.I have more pics then, including another Witco I scored the other day. I will post them tomorrow, I am going to go look at the Book of Tiki (which my Mom finally got me for Christmas..she's so cool!)
thanks!

okay, here are some more pics.
The Main Wall of Witco, I think some one got that pic up in another reply. Its over 11 feet of stuff we had to find wall space for.

Here is one of this really neat palm tree painting with the coolest frame. A thrift store find, it was one of my first scores for the 50's ranch we bought last summer.

Not really tiki, but some cool birds and I always dig that 60's plastic resin stuff.

Some PBN's and a pole lamp, and a crowded little table of tikis

Leafy Barkcloth curtains and Pier 1 grass mat blinds

Oh, and here is my new Witco that I picked up on Ebay for a song last week. (and hubbies christmas gift for me!) I put that it my foyer. Does any one know anymore about it? I guess it speaks for itself, but the detail of the wood always amazes me, and the work is very deliberate.

well, that my Tiki Den, its where we watch TV at, and is very cozy at night.
:)

[ Edited by: Tiki-Troll on 2002-12-25 21:11 ]

I finally got around to getting a shot of the new shelf I made. I am keeping all my favorite mugs on display on this perch.
Notice the new " Kulapepeaio" mug (it's the tall green one with the earrings.)
Enjoy,
Chongolio

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-12-28 17:23 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies