Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

S

Sweetness! Like what Joe said you make it come to life.

L

I like the art of the Sepik river and your interprétation is very succesfull! your carves is some abstract, they much to say with an economy of means...is a trace of talent that I would have.

J.

C

I like the PNG a lot! the necklace looks also like a beard to me, very cool! :)

B

Yes, It's about tine you did some PNG stuff. well done!

Conga, thanks so much!

I too hope to continue exploring the PNG work. I really like the earthy colors that are incorporated into their work, and have been striving to include a bit more color to a lot of my new work.

Tiki Joe's Pop, many thanks for your kind compliments! I have a lot of fun playing with depth on these flat pieces, and there are many varying depths on all the latest work.

Sam, thanks for stopping by my thread and I appreciate the compliment!

I've thought of the "poker chip" thing many times looking at the signs from a distance. :)

Seeks, mahalos! The wood speaks... and breathes!

laojia, many thanks to you!

With many pieces it is a tough decision regarding details... sometimes too much, sometimes not enough and sometimes just right!

Clarita, thank you and thanks for stopping by! It does look a bit like a beard or goatee!

Benz, the compliment is much appreciated! Thanks for checking in!

Another new piece on the drying table... hopefully a picture soon!

Something new for the Tonga Hut Handbuilt On-Line Art Show...

More info can be found here... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31985&forum=12&11

9 1/2" wide x 20" high

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-04-13 17:29 ]

S

Another fine looking offering for the masses to eat up.
The link not working for me?

Mahalos Seeks!

Linky fixed!

Nice piece Lake, Wont last long. Better make another one.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2009-04-13 17:34 ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Andy!

" Does anyone really know what time it is?"

On 2009-04-13 21:59, RevBambooBen wrote:

"....does anyone really care??"

On 2009-04-14 05:04, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

"about Time?"

On 2009-04-14 05:57, BambooLodge wrote:

On 2009-04-14 05:04, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

"about Time?"

"though i can't imagine why..."

T
thick posted on Wed, Apr 15, 2009 2:53 AM

Just popping in to tell ya that this is a super cool thread, just finished reading the entire thing end to end over 3 work shifts, Excellent work! very inspiring. Do you still get work over to Third Coast? if so might have to road trip down there, hear there's a surf shop in Empire (Mi.) now, Sleeping Bear Surf & kayak, maybe they might need some tiki?

Anyhoo, good stuff man. . .

Aloha thick!

Thanks for taking the time out to check out my stuff... yea, I guess there's a bunch of variety in this thread... much more not pictured over the years though!

I haven't had anything over at Third Coast Surf Shop in a few years... the main business there is sunglasses and swimwear and tiki hasn't really caught on with the public in the Great Lakes.

I've got lots of surfer friends in the Great Lakes who own at least one of my pieces though, and I continue to vend at The Dairyland Surf Classic every year.

I'll have to look into the other businesses you suggested, thanks for the info!

Locally, the Tip Top Atomic Shop carries my work here in Milwaukee. A great little retro shop with great owners!

LAKE!
Your recent foray into PNG is a fantastic representation. Love the colors and the additional touches.
Great design for sneakyjack too!

See you on May 3rd!!!

Aloha Jim!

Thanks so much for the compliment on Pagui!

I spent a lot of time thinking this guy over before starting... wanted to get the color scheme right and the general feel of PNG since it was something new for me.

Glad to know that I'm headed in the right direction as I'd like to explore it further.

May 3'rd is gonna be a hoot... looking forward to it and it will be good to see you again!

Hoping to get some water time in also while I'm in the OC!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2015-03-22 12:24 ]

Lake That is a Cool lookin Lono you have goin there!can't wait to see the finished job.Hope your gettin some surf up there!Aloha, Mooney

Aloha Mooney!

So good to hear from you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for your kind compliments on the new Lono... much appreciated!

Not much surf lately here... kinda cold.

I'm hoping to be in some Pacific sliders in a few weeks though in CA!

S

Great looking lono he is perfect!
Love the lines on the lower face area.

L

Like seeksurf, nice carve of lono, hairdress very succesfull! As usual...

Seeks!

Ah, if only he was, but thanks so much for the vote of confidence!

I've got some cleanup work to do on the headress before all is said and done, but for sure this one went easier than my first.
Being a bit smaller this time also made things quicker.

laojia, many, many thanks for such kind compliments!
I think I've been very lucky with this one... keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Today was a mix of Marquesan, PNG and Hawaiian. Jumping all around the South Pacific to keep things fresh.

Like my fellow Wisconsin chipper Conga, we've had a severe seasonal setback with some snow falling right now.

Hopefully a warm up by end of week and a return visit to Mega Marq!

C

Oh! Coming along great!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 24, 2009 11:35 AM

Sharp-looking Lono you got there, dude.

L

Successfull your LONO! I will try to follow the example of your work...precise and delicate. Have a good cure of sun and surf at Bamboo Ben's Nooner!!

J.

H

Aloha, hope all is fine! How are you doing. Like what I can see here at yor thread. Greetings from the Alps, Kai

Great piece, Lake!!!

B

LOVE the Lono Lake. When you are challenged by the detail, your work turns out Way much better. You are capable of a LOT of fine detail, I can See it. Excellent Stuff!

L

Very nice Hei tiki! Some cut was made with a router? If so, great mastering....

Is there an island style you haven't carved????

Bad A$$!

See you next weekend.

CJ

I'm excited to see your stuff in person at the nooner

laojia, many thanks for the compliment!
Yes, some quick wood removal with my trusty Bosch! Still takes a steady hand and concentration!

tikimec, thanks man!
Looking forward to seeing you you on Sunday, we can talk shop some more! Order up some good weather for the wahine and I!

Coco Joe, thanks! We'll see you also on Sunday at Bamboo Ben's!

BD

great stuff lake. the little lono is wonderful but the hei is sweet.

bd

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2015-03-22 12:23 ]

J

As always, excellent work. I can see you have spent a lot of time figuring out the details and how the piece all goes together even before you started.

C

Compliments again Lake. Have a great weekend sharing your
creations and representing us midwesterners on the coast.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a really hard time deciding what I want from you at Tiki Oasis. I still love the temples, but I love so many other pieces of your work, too!

Johnny, thanks for stopping by and thanks much for the kind compliments!
I think sometimes I think too much about the outcome. :wink: But most of the time you do what the wood wants you to do... you know how it goes.

conga, thanks much my Northern brother! Hope that things are greening up and warming up by you! We will both be out of doors soon working on some big projects, I'm sure.

I will try and do us proud out there on the West Coast this weekend!

Tiki Cupcake, thank you! I try to keep busy with all kinds of variety. I do have to get back to the Tiki Temple series soon, I've been slacking a bit and working on other things.

Look forward to seeing many of you this weekend!

S

Im digging the Hei-Tiki and the back to back.

Hope you had a good time!

Aloha Seeks, and thanks for the kind compliment!

The trip was a blast!

Settling back into the groove here at home after 4 great days in SoCal.

Tiki, surfing, sunburn and good friends made it hard to say goodbye to the West Coast on Tuesday.

**I want to send out a big thank you to everyone who took home a new Lake Tiki creation at Bamboo Ben's Nooner!

Your purchase helped fund a much needed vacation for the wahine and I!

I hope you enjoy your new tiki art, and welcome you to come see what I'll have with me at this year's Tiki Oasis.

Thanks also to everyone who stopped by to say hello! Your compliments on my tiki creations are much appreciated!

It was great seeing old friends and acquaintances and meeting so many new faces!

Ben and Vicki, thanks for putting the great event together! It was a great way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon!**

So, I'm into transition mode here at the homestead. The weather has warmed and I'm able to venture out of the studio more to work outside.

I've got some logs and boards ready to go and it is time to shift into high gear for the busy summer event season!

First up though, was a project that has been sitting in the corner of the garage since late March.

Mega Marq!

He's lost about half his weight now that he's dry, and the repair work I did on the left eye worked out great. That eye was very wet when I carved it and it all but crumbled apart. When doing some sanding today, the smell of the wood became familiar and I'm 99.9% sure this is Basswood.

The weather was beautiful, and I cranked away at this guy. Sanded, torched and he's ready for stain Friday. Temps in the high 70's will make it a perfect day for finishing work.

I'm going to add some detail carving to the nose and head before staining. After that, he'll be standing guard in the backyard.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-05-07 22:41 ]

lake surfer that is so cool keep up the good work

Marcus, so good to hear from you!

Hope things are well down under!

Thanks for stopping by to check out this big guy, and thanks for the kind compliment!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies