Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

B

Hey Lake, I'm Really Happy you had a Great time and showing at Ben's Nooner, I think you are in a nice groove and hope i carries through for a long while.
lad you finally got your vacation, you guys have worked too hard for too long. (IF you can call carving tiki WORK?) :o :D

BD

wow lake! he's fantastic. the way he looks now is great, kinda other world look to him, sorta surreal, sorta cartoony but great. sorry but i can't seem to find the right words for him. shame he's gonna guard your backyard cuz he would look great in my front yard.

bd

T

the backyard in that pic looks like it needs more tiki. Nice DEEP cuts in the head

T

Yeah the marq has come a long way from what that log first looked like. Great job!

Aloha Ben!

It was a good time, and a nice little change of pace.

I feel the groove these days and will continue just crusing along!

big daddy: thanks for swinging on by, and thanks for the compliment!

I hear you on the not being able to put your finger on this guy. He is sorta odd, and I think that's because I just sort of did whatever the log wanted with it. It was kind of a tough chunk of wood to work with... either too wet or too dry. The nature of Basswood. Not a whole lot of grain to work with either, something I'm not used to lately. With pine and ash (woods I frequently use) it is easier to get a reading on them. With Basswood it is sort of chaos sorting it all out. I wasn't sure what would come out of this log so I just sort of went with whatever, and I'm not sure how this one will do out of doors. He does have a bit of animation and character to him... a bit of a casual backwards lean. :)

teaKEY: thanks, man!

The backyard is getting there. There's 2 big tikis back there and I'll be creating some work to hang on the fence. I don't make much for myself these days, and the big part of what I do keep is in the basement tiki bar.

Big T: thanks!

It has come a long way from when I was staring at that log wondering what the heck I was going to do with it! :wink:
I haven't done a big Marquesan yet, so it was a good opportunity. The log sort of lent itself to that shape.

L
laojia posted on Sat, May 9, 2009 4:23 AM

I find that the shape of initially, a little difficult, was become well. With the stain will be sooo good!!!

Carvin the big logs again, Looking good mang.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 10, 2009 2:00 PM

I dig the mix between your panel/relief pieces (always something totally new and different), then you just bust out a big ol' log to change things up. The new fella has a nice relaxed organic feel to him and going back over the last few pages it looks like he threw a few challenges at you. I think those imperfections in your log actually helped, and he looks like the type of tiki that would be right at home hanging out in the Hiva Oa jungle.

I also see you're a 1970 boy like me - enjoy your 30s while you still can brother! Your snow is ending while ours is just beginning, and we've had almost nothing but "Victory at Sea" or massive clean closeouts for weeks now. Typical West Coast autumn! When it does get small enough to paddle out, the howling icy offshore usually kills it. Looking good over the next few days (before it gets back up to 20 odd ft!) so us waveriding carvers are praying for a small window...

laojia: thanks!

It was a funky log shape, but that's all part of the fun of finding the tiki in it!

Andy: Thanks bruddah! I Had to get it out of the garage finally so I can make room for all the other logs sitting out in the rain.
Still some big ones out there, so you will be seeing more of them here this summer.

Rhys: Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the support on this buggah... he turned out alright.

For sure a relaxed posture about him, so much so that he likes to fall over backwards! I may have to make a little stand for him and screw him down to help him stand.
Hopefully this week we can get temps back into the 60's so I can stain him.

30's, yea... not too many more months left until 40. I feel it sometimes. Did some damage over the years skateboarding and snowboarding, and it catches up with you sometimes.
For the most part, surfing is low impact and actually gets me in better shape. I can tell how long of a winter it has been that first time of the season on the surfboard.
Wearing all that rubber doesn't help much for flexibility either... 5 mil gloves, 7 mil boots, 6/4 hooded wettie. We should be in 4/3 wetties very soon... water is getting into the high 40's.

Absolute heaven in SoCal last week with water temps around 57... barefoot in a 4/3 and loving it! Had a fun little session with KuKu at Newport Beach.

Looks like some freshwater sliders here this week, not 20 foot, but we'll take waist to chest any day!

Hope you have a good fall/winter season!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2015-03-22 12:22 ]

L

Small cutting very thin on the wall hanging, beautifull stuff!

S

I like the wall. Looks diff. Clam dig last weekend for me.
I didn't get in the water though. Next weekend my surf bud Geoff
will insure i get in.

laojia, thank you!

Some touchy detail work there... took a steady hand at times. Actually got a couple hand cramps from being too tense.

Seeks, thanks bruddah!

Ah, clam bake! You're making my mouth water.

We did get in and surf Wednesday, though the wind didn't really deliver. Sectioning peaks about waist high with crumbly tops.
Still, it was good to get in the water with the crew and get some exercise. Water is warming slightly... 41 degrees.

Hope you get some next weekend... catch a nice right for me!

Got some stuff cooking here... a big Marquesan canoe... hope to get more progress before showing it.

L

Really like the Marquesan wall piece Lake. Something about your flatter wall pieces really make them my favorites. (does that make sense ? lol)

C

You are so prolific, I can't even keep up posting, let's not talk about carving... :)
The Lono turn out spectacular, and all the other pieces you've made, they have a great style, I like very much this last one too, the use of colour looks great! my input would, be if you make more, to use this same colour but a little darker to make some texture over the first colour. I think it would look even better. just and idea...Congrats, keep up the great work (just a manner of speaking, i know you will!...)

leleliz, thanks for stopping by to check out the new work!

And thanks for the compliment on this one! I fully understand what you're saying. That's why I try and mix things up a bit throughout my work... that and my ADD keeps me moving from project to project. :wink:

Clarita, thanks for the kind compliments! And thanks for the helpful input on this last piece, I understand what you are saying and there are a couple new things I want to try to build into these kinds of pieces... texture is one of them!

Lake Tiki = The Good Stuff!

Nice work as always.

Lake, what are you using for the routing? I must of missed it somewhere down the line.

S

Looking sharp!

Love that detail, man. Was good to hear from you this afternoon.

L

LAKE = excelent stuff!!!

What about the stain on mega Marq?

L

LAKE = excelent stuff!!!

What about the stain on mega Marq?

F
Fugu posted on Tue, May 19, 2009 8:40 PM

The boat looks great so far- I can't wait to see the finished product. All of your work is so beautiful!

tikimecula, thanks bruddah!
Just trying to keep up with the insane detail you put into your work.
Marquesan carvings pack it in to the max.

surfin, I made mention a few threads back, but Bosch is my weapon of choice. :wink:

seeks, thanks for stopping by!

BK, thanks, but I learned from some of the best, bruddah. :wink:
Good talking story with you also today, I'm really gonna miss you guys in June.
Hope you all have a great time, I'll try and give ya a holla when you're there.

laojia, thanks kindly for your compliment!
I've got to make another stain run for the Mega Marq. I only bought a pint and I needed more!
He's laying out back half stained!
Hope to get to him this weekend after I get another can of Ebony Minwax.
I'll post pictures.

Fugu, many thanks for your kind compliment on my work and thank you for stopping by to take a look at it!

S

Looking sharp! man those little guys are going to top it off.

Looks like you have some new tools in the shop?

Aloha Seeks!

Thanks again!

Yep, I got a new toy last week.

I got tired of having to drive to use my Dad's bandsaw.

He's got a full size Jet, but all I really needed was a table top for the small stuff that I cut out.

This little Skil is really doing the trick so far.

M
mp posted on Thu, May 21, 2009 11:40 AM

Lake Surfer, I am newish here on TC. Just wanted to let you know you've
got another fan out here. I got one of your pendants at the FI parking lot sale.
Its the bomb. Hope to see your new stuff at Tiki Oasis. Awesome work! MP

L

SO do you just blink and then you are done with yet another piece? Seems like you pump them out so fast!

T

Man, the wall hangings just keep getting better and better - if that's even possible. What's up the mega marq???

AWESOME!!! I love your marquesian boats. glad to see you carving them again.

I haven't been by in a while, and I must say mega mark turned out very cool! he'll look great watching over your blinking bouy!

great carves, dave!

mp, thanks so much!

It means a lot to have fans of my work out there, and I really appreciate all the support!

Thanks for picking up one of my idols at the F.I. sale last fall!

I hope to see you again at Oasis in August, I'll have some spectacular work there!

leleliz, I do wish it was that easy! I have many projects in various states of progress, and variety is the spice is life!

Thanks for stopping by!

BigT, you're too kind. Many thanks for the words of support! I hope to keep pushing things further and further into dizzying detail.

Mega Marq is in a holding pattern until I can get some more stain for him. I didn't buy enough, and he soaked in much more than I expected.

I hope to get him finished up next week!

Jim

Thanks so much for the compliments! I hope you are enjoying your new Pagui!

I hope to get Mega Marq finished up and get him installed in his new digs!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2015-03-22 12:20 ]

S

Nice Lake, you have me looking and reading more on the Marquesan.

Cool designs Dave, your studies are paying off with some very
interesting stuff. Your boats are great, can't wait to see them
with the warriors in place.

Yeah Lake, thanks for the Marquesan Anecdotes. Carves are looking top-notch too!

could make a fine coaster for one of those mini kegs! lol..

Awesome Lake!

Seeks!

Thanks!

Soak it all up!

Reading about the subject you're focusing on really helps! There's a lot that the written word tells that a picture doesn't.

Conga!

Thanks also!

I think I spend more time researching and learning then I do carving these days. :wink:

Surfin!

Many mahalos!

Lot's of fun stuff going on.

Ben!

I think you're on to something!

Let's get in touch with the Nooner Beer Delivery Guy and work a deal! :)

Many mahalos, hope things are well in Surf City!

Killing it! That's good stuff right there.

Andy, thanks very much!

I think you'll be stoked to see the next new Marquesan carving I'm starting in the next couple of weeks.

My tent will be ground zero for all things Marquesan at this year's Tiki Oasis!

Very cool stuff, Dave, and very original too. Nice work!

finkdaddy, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind compliment!

I heard you have the summer free to carve. You should come over sometime this summer, we'll have a little carving session.

My neighbors don't mind the noise either. :wink:

Lake, I would love that. Do you get away with using the chain saw?
I actually have a big palm log that I would like to cut up into section and need a place to do it.
I'll talk to you about it after my birthday vacation this weekend!

So cool to see the evolution Dave, by the way here's a blast from your past, I bought this off ya at the Dairyland Surf Classic many years back:

As you can see it still holds a place of value, right next to my cigars..

Just got back to Madison from a nice 2 weeks on the Big Island and Kauai, waves were nice, kinda strong on Kauai but guards were on the prowl.

Just a few shots:

Here's a few of my new pieces, old oak from my back yard:

Ke aloha nô me ka mahalo kâua!

[ Edited by: Spamtastic! 2009-05-29 21:56 ]

Wow great!!!

Thanks for stopping by Spamtastic!

And thanks for the blast for the past... I was a bit rough around the edges then. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies