Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

J

On 2009-08-07 19:24, Lake Surfer wrote:
Setting sail!

See you at Tiki Oasis!

Lucky! Have fun and bring some warm weather back!

Lake,Man I hope you have a rad time at the OASIS,hopefully one day
I'll make it back to the states and we'll be able to hangout and have a few beers.
Cheers Watango

Ps .Love ya work!

Johnny and Watango, thanks my friends for stopping by, and I appreciate all the compliments!

Johnny, doing my best to send some of this 97 degree heat up to you from Okalahoma.
Glad to have the air on during today's 13 hour drive.

Watango, hope you can make it here to the States sometime for a tiki event, hell of a flight though!

Cheers LAKES,hope oasis was rad,the flights not that bad
its just the thickness of my wallet thats the issue!
Cheers Watango

Great to see everyone at the Bali Hai last night!

Tiki Oasis at last!

One day until Lake Tiki's premier at Tiki Oasis 2009!

lakes,cant wait to hear how you went at Oasis and see some pics.
Cheers Watango

Many, many thanks to everyone for all your kind compliments and your purchases at this year's Tiki Oasis!

The event was an absolute blast and I look forward to doing it all again next year... without the 5000 mile roundtrip drive though!

I'll be back on a smaller scale next year, and shipping and flying will make the trip that much easier.

But the wife and I wrapped a fun vacation into the 2 week journey and saw some beautiful parts of the West half of our country.

Even got some surfing in for a couple days after Oasis and picked up a new board. :)

The welcome to this year's Oasis was a great one and I thank the organizers, the great vendors, customers and everyone who stopped by to talk story and check out my work!

Next up is Ohana, and I am looking forward to bringing my tiki creations to the Northeast!

The next few weeks will be busy ones as I create all sorts of VIP tiki creations for the event!

Hope to see many of you "At The Lake!"

L

It is fabulous store, really a treasure cave! :D

J.

Your talent speaks volumes... keep up the stellar work'z, Lake! :D

laojia and Jonesey, many thanks!

I really appreciate the kind compliments.

Busy as all get out here at home now... hope to get a chance to share what I'm up to!

Holy Smokes! That is some collection and some real talent.

T

Wow, look at all that stuff! Plenty of tiki goodness in there! Looks like a tiki museum. :)

I might see you over at the Ohana. Another 4 or 5 so hours, and you could be surfing at my break!

Grand Poobah, thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the compliment!

Big T, thanks much!
The picture only shows half of what was there... there's 2 other walls also!

Surfin, you should come by!
Would be good to see ya!

Pretty wild this year that I'll be on nearly both coasts in the same year.

Lot's of driving!

Don't know if I'll make the Atlantic Ocean, as much as I'd like to. The drive is long enough especially after driving to California and back.

I may be bringing a board anyhow in the hopes of catching a swell on Lake Erie or Lake Ontario on the trip!

S

Welcome back! Man the miles! The both looks to cool.
Surf bud and I just got back from are Lapush surf tirp.
Some of the best surf all summer easy. We had 3' to 12' swells in 12 days.

Aloha Seeks!

Good to hear you scored some surf!

Still waiting on mine, although I got some sliders out in SoCal after Oasis.

This weekend is the Dairyland Surf Classic in Sheboygan.
Looking forward to seeing all my fellow Great Lakes surfers!

I've been super busy working on Ohana stuff, as soon as it is done I'll post some pictures!

Ohana work continues... only a week and a half until the big event!

There's a bunch of goodies that I was commissioned to do for the event like mini golf trophies, best drink contest and corporate sponsor thank yous.

Here's one of the "George" trophies... all crafty from wood, paint and hemp.

They get their brass tags when they get to Ohana.

On the side, I've been working out some more ideas and trying some new things for next year's creations.

I've been working on some designs that will carry on to projects, some for sale and some for personal use here at the homestead.

Here's a mini-panel I just finished that will be coming to Ohana next weekend...

Just can't get enough of the Marquesan inspired work, I love it.

L

Hey not to sound like a broken/annoying record -hehe-but did you take pics of the Tiki Temples you finished up before you brought them to TO? Can you post the pics if you did? I really wanted to see all the final pieces if possible. Thanks!

I'm sure Dave has better shots - but these things are awesome!
from oasis booth

L

Thanks SneakyJack for the pic post!

Ah yes, thanks Jack and sorry liz!

Here's some glamor shots of the "Tiki Temples" which will be traveling to OHANA next week in Lake George!

L

Yeah..that 1st one is totally killer. Thanks Lake.

S

Those are top quality. They look so tastey all together like that.

Thanks liz and Seeks!

They're a lot of fun to build, but a bit time consuming.

Good Winter projects, and there will be more to come this Winter!

Attention ALL OHANA attendees. Resist all temptations to actually enter Lake's phenominal Temples- you will be left with splinters and tiny Marquesians stuck between your toes!

If I don't get the chance to tell ya, knock 'em out at the OHANA, Dave! Your work is something to personally behold~

Cheers, pally~!

Andy

Andy, you're much too kind!

I really appreciate the compliments!

I'm really looking forward to showing the Northeast part of the country this year's work, and I look forward to their opinions.

Been a little while since I sunk my chops into a log, and I wanted to bring another new piece to Ohana next week.

I had this chunk of basswood in the garage for a while, and I got a new idea I want to try out.

I started last night and finally broke through this morning.

I hope to have the carving done by this afternoon.

Some special little touches going on to this guy at the end, gifts from the sea!

lake's,looks like another killer peice you've got
goin there,man I cant beleive how much work you churn thru
I gotta lift me game.Cheers Watango

Watango, my friend, thanks for stopping by!

Just couldn't stop until this guy was finished!

So, here is "Waimea Calling."

Chock full of good mana and surf stoke!

23" H x 10" W

Another piece headed to Ohana next week...

Here's a PNG figure I just finished up today...

7" W x 26" H

N

great stuff

:tiki: GO! LAKE! GO! :tiki:

nice stuff lake.I can't believe how fast you turn out some carvings.What kind of router do you use on the panels?sure looks clean.,I'm so slow at carving but you make it look so easy with the router with the flowing lines.I can't do it I would be all wavy lines, so I do the old school way and use a vee chisel and gouges. hope you get some surf Aloha, Mooney

nomolos, many thanks!

Jonesey, thanks for the inspiration! There's no stopping now!

Mooney, thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the compliments!
I guess I am kind of a speed demon, but I'm always lookinf towards the next piece.

I use a combination of smaller hand tools, power and chisel to get carving jobs done. Power when I need to remove lots of material fast and at a uniform depth, chisels when I want a softer look.

As for the rest, I guess just a steady hand and hold your breath a lot. :wink:

Keep up the great work on your end, I love your surf inspired tiki creations!

C

very nice PNG figure, and those tiki temples are the bomb! drool..

LakeSurfin' - Your stuff is ASTOUNDING! But we all know that.
Looks like I'm NOT going to Ohana. Having a garage sale instead that weekend. Blech.
As for surf, you're about 5-6 hours from our break. But you may not want to surf here!!!!...
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/spotlight/white_shark_2009.htm
Yup, that's 5 minutes from my house.

Aloha
Dave

Clarita, thank you so much for your kind compliments!

I'm glad you stopped by for my latest update!

surfin, I totally appreciate the props on the latest work!

Lot's of fun stuff going on!

I'm bummed you can't make it to Ohana, I was looking forward to talking some surf.
Looks like I'll be the only one with a surfboard paddling around Lake George. :wink:

Hope the garage sale goes well though!

As far as those White Sharks... yea, I know its their ocean and all, but a 15 footer?
Not something I want to jump in the water with!
Hope they migrate their way outta your surf spot so you can get some waves!
I think I'll just try my luck with Lake Erie or Ontario on my travels to New York, always a chance something will pop on the lakes this time of year!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-09-12 23:09 ]

S

Thanks for the smile! I'm digging the Waimea Calling!

The PNG is off the wall! very nice.

Seeks, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the props on these guys!

Can you tell I'm wave starved?

They're showing up in my tikis now!

Hope things are well in the PNW!

I was very happy to be a part of OHANA: Luau by the Lake over the weekend!

An extremely fun event at the classic Tiki Motor Inn in Lake George, NY.

And I had the honor of creating trophies for the event this year.

There were corporate thank you trophies, as well as trophies for the best drink contest, and various awards for the mini golf tournament.

The trophies were inspired by Squid's "George" event mug.

With the blessings of the organizers, I created my own style of "George" along with extra garnishes for each recipient.

Here's some great shots that Princess Pupule took of all my "Georges" lined up...

Many thanks also to everyone who took home a new Lake Tiki creation at OHANA!

I appreciate all your support!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-09-22 23:49 ]

B

those trophies r KILLER! nice job!

Dave! Those are GREAT! Classic, and what an honor too. Too cool. I hope you made a trophy for yourself, for cranking out the most tiki trophies in a short time!
I researched that area, and there a couple of good whitewater runs nearby, probably some good park n' play waves too. Hmmm, bring a S.U.P. next time for a little sesh?!!!

Great Trophies dude! Nice work and totally sweet.

FANTASTIC!

Toe, much love back to you!

Appreciate the compliment, and now I can put a trophy feather in my cap.

surfin, much thanks to you also!
After the carving part, they were a lot of fun to personalize. Ah, the carving part was fun too. :wink:
The proud smiles on the new owners was the best reward!

I considered bringing the longboard to paddle in the pool during the bands, with the air around 40 and the water around 55 it would have felt like home.
It was a cold weekend in Lake George.

tikilizard and drasticwagon, thanks so much for the kind compliments!

I've been invited to participate in the Art Riot here in town. Kind of a rockin, hot rod, low brow event.

I'll be working on a couple big guys for the show.

Time to break out the heavy tools again.

T

Oh man, nice line of trophies. I bet gettin one of those babies was like a 2nd win!

B

Dave, Cool getting the trophy job and they all looked like fun carves. I Know the recipients were really stoked to get theirs.

L

Ohana trophy was a so cool skewer of trophy! :o Congrat for that!

Can't wait to see your latest big guys for the next show...

J.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies