Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

B
Bete posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 9:08 AM

Cool!

Wall Panel for DVA Gallery Tiki Show

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-10-01 22:17 ]

C

Lake's "chops" are very fine...your Marq pole and DVA panel are top notch...always impressed
by your finishes...that panel looks like it was cut by a laser!

Thanks Conga... spent a bit of time on that piece and it's details but it pays off in the end.

Got over to Foundation today and Don had the Marq pole installed... here's what it looks like...

I enjoy being part of the constant transformation of this bar as it becomes more and more saturated with tiki... and there are some big plans for this summer!

[ Edited by: lake surfer 2011-11-16 21:09 ]

Great work Lake..

Hey BenZ..thanks for all your help..I've been busy reading all the info. posted here. I just bought my first set of carving tools..nothing glamourous..but it will be great starting some project.Keep the step by step instructions coming.

Lake,

Sweet tikis they keep on getting better and better. Hopefully, you'll get some waves and make some money down in Florida. One day, it would be nice to meet up with you and Gary for a surf trip.

Will

Thanks Will... I finally got to surf some waves last Friday... inspired me to bust out this weekend and Monday... pics to come!

Well, I finished up the big guy today.

A labor of love.

When I started on it I had already decided that it would stay with me.

6 1/2 feet of sore arms and sweat. All hand carved.

I'm so pleased with the way it turned out.

I may make a little detachable base for it to be a bit more stable on the ground as it will travel to a few shows with me at the end of the summer.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-06-13 22:58 ]

The finish on this one is amazing. You should be very proud, one of the best done yet. I dig the lettering on the base.

B

Surfer I Love how this guy turned out. MAN, You are really getting better.

Wow Dave, this guy is sooo good! You've raised the bar again. Very clean with a great finish. Lots of personality. :)

Super job, Dave...That's a keeper. Stuff like that puts master mana on your chisels!

That is one fine lookin' fella!

8T

Without a doubt, my favorite piece you have ever shown us!
Congrats and enjoy!

You all are too kind, thanks much!

Time to get my nose back to the grindstone and do more work for Hukilau!

He's a beast! Love it, and you used my favorite...a dark stain, it really makes him look solid.
Don't let him fall over on ya, let's see it, if ya put a base on it too.

:drink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-06-25 21:46 ]

B

Looks like a Cool Lake sign. How ya' gonna finish it?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 1:43 PM

Looks like you used powertools to cut it out?.........

edit...

Sorry man, no disrepect intended. I had a bad day and I always seem to get uptight when folks start talking about traditional carving, hand tools only, or chisels only. We're all just carvers and no one way is above another. Once again, my reply above was not a dig. I do really like the sign. I hope those cats pay you a million bucks as they start to decorate the new place.

-Gman

[ Edited by: gman 2006-06-22 16:10 ]

TG

Nice job bro'. Wanna see it in place when you get it there.

:drink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-06-25 21:45 ]

J

Bump,
What's going on the other side of the pond? It can't be hibernation time yet?

JP

Hukilau. :wink:

4 Weeks Until Hukilau!

A year's worth of work on it's way...

Another Lake Tiki signature tiki in progress... The Waimea.

Kia ora Lakesurfer. Only recently dropped in & even more recently caught whiff of what you are up to. Love your work & I can tell you do too. From one carver to another I can see you place emphisis on good design & take that extra time/care with your carving. A wise man once said to me 'it takes just as long to carve a crap line, as it does to carve a good one' -Not quite true in practise actually,:) but I think the true message was 'do your best work'! I congratulate you on yours!
-Loved the rope detail on the Marq pole, nice contrast & cleanly done! Ill stay watchin'. Tama

Lake get better every day.
Dig!

Thanks Tamapoutini and JT!

Tamapoutini, after 5 1/2 years of doing this I have finally developed what I can call a "style." I feel that thinking a design out is as important as the final piece itself, without the prior thought you're all over the place. Simplified cuts, but well defined and deep cuts can lead to a striking piece in the end. Thanks again, I'm real proud of the work I've been doing lately and having the honor of showing it at a venue like Hukilau.

I agree Lake. The planning stage is sooo important. Outlining and cutting must be done precisely to get a nice piece. If my time is limited and it's a rush job, there's always a huge drop in quality.
Keep up the great work braddah!

Hukilau or bust!

Hukilau!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 11:08 AM

Looks very cool Lake Surfer!

TG

Lake I hope you slay at Huki. I know you have been working really hard. Your stuff is looking nothing but Jake. Gonna miss seeing you this year. Hope you get some juicy waves on your travels down. We will be in San Francisco this Wednesday thru Friday. Trish's grandmother passed. Just got back from a trip out to visit with her last week. Heading back now for services. Had to cancel our Costa trip as well. Have fun at Huki and have a cocktail on us if you will. Tell Jen we said Hi. You two have fun. We know you will. See ya next year if not before. Give Poly Pop a high five for us if you will please if he's there. He's a cool dude.

G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-10-02 16:13 ]

Thanks again Bete!

Gary, Jen and I send our condolences to Trish and you. Very sorry to hear this sad news. Jen and I went through this 3 weeks ago when her grandmother passed also. She lived a very full 90 years.

You guys will be missed this year... as will Poly Pop, who is not making it either. Bongo Fury isn't going to make it either... who am I going to cause trouble with!?!? :wink:

Juicy swell? I hope so... got to surf a south on the lake today... one last session in 50 degree water before I head to Florida's bathwater. Looks like 8-10 foot Victory at Sea conditions over the weekend... hope it calms a bit beofre we make it up to the Space Coast next week.

Thanks for the well wishes... I hope everyone likes my stuff down there!

Finally found the ranch home we've been looking for! Looking forward to filling the mini van with tropical decor materials on the trip home from Hukilau... and using them to transform the old basement bar into a classic tiki bar.

Watch this space transform over the next few months!

My favorite tiki bar is one with studio space right behind it... less distance to carry the tikis!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-03 07:47 ]

See you at Hukilau! :)

J

On 2006-10-03 07:58, Lake Surfer wrote:
See you at Hukilau! :)

Hopefully you took a lot of pictures so you can share with us whne Hukilau is over! I am looking forward to how you finish off your new bar area. Congrats.

JP

Spent some quality time last week working with a legend at his studio...

You're never as good as you think you are.

Wayne's the man.

Mahalos to all who paid a visit at Hukilau... good to see you!

Did you make the piece youre holding? Can we have a closer look, looks sweet... T

B
Bete posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 5:52 AM

So cool you got to meet Wayne and work with him, he is very cool. I see tikis from his company everywhere.

TG

Hope you and Jen made it back safely. Appears as though you did. Nice pic taken at Trader Vics with Pablus, BK and the others I saw. We really enjoyed your visit. Had fun surfing with you and the many dolphins Friday. Let see some pics! Glad we were able to help you out. It was fun.

Now get busy helping Jen unpack so you can get busy on the tiki bar!!!!!!!!!!

Busy, Busy, Busy

PS. I almost forgot, thanks alot for the cool mirror and the "LONGBOARDS RULE" sign! You rock.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-10-16 12:23 ]

B

Hey lake, nice seeing you and youre stuff again at Hukilau. looks like you had a great trip back.

Thanks guys!

Two tiki carvers with a surfing habit...

Fun little stuff at the pier. Reminded me of home... but a lot warmer... :)

and the dolphin experience, well that was just a memory that will never go away.

Mahalos Gary!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-17 12:06 ]

That's a great pic, Dave. Looks like you and Gary had a blast. What was your dolphin experience?

Josh

M

Awesome black & white vintage surfesque tranquil style photo, but, Lake..... where's your wetsuit? You don't look comfy at all. (LOL)

Awesome times to be alive. Those are the moments.

Mahalo

McTiki

Too much surfing... not enough carving...

Made the local newspaper.

http://www2.jsonline.com:80/photo/

See, you can surf on a lake. :wink:

McTiki... the wetsuit is back on... along with the 7 mil boots and the 5 mil gloves. :(

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-18 02:25 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 2:47 AM

On 2006-10-18 02:21, Lake Surfer wrote:

McTiki... the wetsuit is back on... along with the 7 mil boots and the 5 mil gloves. :(

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-18 02:25 ]

All that gear and no hood - don't you worry about surfer's ear? Your noggin must be freezing! I wear my gloves well into spring - gotta look after your hands when you carve.
Cool pic of Wayne Coombs too, he looks like "a bit of a hard shot" as we say around these parts.

B

Nice paper Picture, Is that Really you under all that wet suit stuff?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies