Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

C

Cool trophies! can I pretend they are sipping mates (it's a thing we drink here), so I can be happy thinking you made an argentinian tiki? :)
heres a link to one if you want to check it out
http://www.teucosalta.com.ar/imagen/31-palo-5.jpg

anyway great work as always, very cool guys!

Stopping on by to see what everyone is up to...
and I'd like to thank you all for your kind compliments!

BigT, many thanks!
I think the mini golf trophies were extra incentive to get the best score, worst score or dress the best!
As for the sponsor trophies... after the great support the sponsors showed the event they really deserved an award!

Benz, thanks so much! They were a lot of fun to make.
The trophies were a much coveted item during the weekend, and I was very happy with how much everyone loved them.

laojia, many thanks!
May have to put the big guy on hold, as I'm not sure I can make the show now.
Lots of new stuff coming though!

can I pretend they are sipping mates (it's a thing we drink here), so I can be happy thinking you made an argentinian tiki?

Clarita, sure thing!
Very cool how the tikis are holding something the same as your picture!
Thanks so much for the kind compliment, the trophies all have their own personality which made it such a fun project.
And its neat to think they have all gone to different homes around the country. :)

I've been out buying some new chisels lately, and thinking of some new things to work on over the winter months.
Doing some work on the studio also to make it a bit more dust free.

Research has started on a whole new collection of work for 2010, and I hope to have a theme and a name picked out for it soon.

I've got some projects I'll be starting next week, so some new updates very soon!

You think winter is coming? Getting ready to carve inside?
Yea, same up here in tundra territory, I moved inside yesterday after
the 40 mile an hour winds blew my carving canopy into the neighbors
yard.
Looking forward to your new theme for 2010....give us a little preview soon!

Conga, my Northern friend, I do think it will be an early winter here.

The next couple of nights look frosty, especially in the North Woods.

More winds on the way for Thursday... batten down that carving canopy!

You sir, shall be one of the first to see the new line when it rolls on out!

I can tell you that it includes some tasteful touches of color!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-09-29 19:41 ]

Lot's of carving going on here lately... of the liquid kind!

After a very stale start to the surf season, Mother nature has kicked it into high gear with surf last Friday and Sunday, and some bombers today.

We have had Storm Force winds the last 2 days that just switched around to a favorable direction for waves.
The water is still warm... 60 degrees.

Here's some pics my buddy Ryan shot today... one of our favorite spots that only wakes up on big swells.

More fun in store Friday with a new storm system moving in... Gale Watch already issued!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-09-29 19:56 ]

H

NIIIIICE! We could sure use some of that down here, flatsville lately, maybe knee high @ best.

T

Love the first pict... my kind of days.

i love your work keep it up

Aloha Brad!

C'mon up! Be glad to share with ya! :)

More waves in store now for Friday... Gale Warning already issued for tonight into tomorrow!
By dawn I'll be on the road to my favorite spot!

Tahitiki, my kind of days too!
Thing is, we don't get many days like that year round, so when they come we hold onto them tight!

Marcus, thanks for stopping by, so good to hear from you!
Hope things are well "down under!"

BD

lake
love the trophies. formikahini told me they were absolutely fabulous in person which made me even better for not being able to go. good luck with the waves. the swells look great but doesn't look like you have much time from break to shore. catch some good ones.

bd

SK

Lake,

Wow, nice surf and the crowd looks perfect! I hope you score some good ones Friday. Thanks for sharing the photos. I get stoked when people who appreciate it get good conditions. Keep up the good work.

Oh yeah, keep carving too. You're very talented.:)

Late,
SF

Nice Surf Lake!!! Glad your getting some now! I think your way overdue. Keep up the nice carvings and hope it stays warm a bit longer for you, Aloha, Mooney

Ah yeah, nice water color too. Enjoy that warmth, it aint gonna last!!
It's already chillin up here.

Big Daddy, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind compliment!
Lot's of waves lately, which may explain for my sore shoulders!

Sofa King, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate the kind words on my work!
I'm going to score as much of the lake as possible until we ice in for the winter.
Then I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip to SoCal for some winter surf. :wink:

Mooney!
Good to hear from you my friend!
Thanks as always and I hope you are getting your share of waves these days!
Water is still 62 here and the air around 50-60, so not too bad yet!

surfin, don't I know that!
We chilled 12 degrees lately from cold nights and upwelling.
Lack of sun during the day takes its toll on water temps also.
Soon we'll be breaking out the 6/4 wetsuits!

Currently in negotiations with Trader Vic's Chicago for a new project... watch for some new work here this week as they are ready to get rolling!

Stoked to be a part of it all again!

I've got some goodies up for purchase in the Marketplace...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34113&forum=12&8

A few more to come as I get the photos ready!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-10-07 01:49 ]

I'll be exhibiting at the Milwaukee Art Riot '09 this Saturday.

If you're local, stop by and say hello!

I'll have a nice selection of traditional tiki and some Hot Rod/Low Brow tiki ready to take home with you!

Saturday, October 10th

2009 Art Riot Block Party

The Times Cinema & 5900 Block of Vliet Street

Noon-2AM

OnMilwauke.com and The Times Cinema are putting together what will undoubtedly be Milwaukee's premier art and music festival. Sponsored by 102.1FM, Pabst Blue Ribbon and the Harley-Davidson Museum, the entire 5900 block of West Vliet Street in Wauwatosa will be transformed into a high octane, rock and roll art show. Working with galleries nationwide, Art Riot 09 will have works by some of the nation's best rock poster and "low brow" artists.

In addition, there are over 40 local artists, bands, hot rods, custom bikes, food, drinks and more. Along with the national artists, there will be exhibits from more than three dozen local craftsmen and artists.

The Times Cinema will also have the Milwaukee premiere of "American Artifact: The Rise Of American Rock Poster Art." The film documents the rise of the current rock poster movement in America with a cast of quirky, interesting, and extremely talented artists along with their fans and some of the biggest names in music industry.

Later that evening, the Times Cinema's stage will host musical performances from some of the Midwest's best up and coming bands and DJs.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-10-13 23:18 ]

Found in many home bars all around the country...

Thanks to everyone I've had the opportunity to make one of these for!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-11-03 14:14 ]

A commissioned piece headed out to a new establishment - coming soon to the Bay Area!

24" H x 26" W

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-10-19 22:39 ]

hi there lakesurfer! luv all your stuff! the pole is lookin killer! cheerz!

Always great stuff here Lake, certainly one of the great TC threads.
Have a great time this weekend...and congrats on all your sales in the
marketplace. You are the tiki-making-machine!

S

Love the surf shot Look @ those colors.

Thanks guys for swinging by and for your kind compliments!

As I head into Winter around here, work in the studio turns more experimental as I come up with ideas for next year's collection.

Still no name or a theme yet, but when I do figure that out it will sort of dictate what kind of creations will appear next year.

Here's something that came out of pages of sketch ideas I've been doing the last few weeks... a stylized Tangaroa.

11" W x 10" H

Lookin good Lake.

I need to get to carvin here, almost done with my new basement studio.

Keep em coming.

Thanks much Andy!

Good talking to you a couple weeks back. Glad you're adjusting to life with a basement!
Its always been a much appreciated space for me 6 months out of the year. :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing how your new workspace comes out, and the great new work that is sure to follow.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 8:14 PM

It looks like the season when we harvest the Tangaroa ... I'm curious to see your next collection!

J.

L

Heres a thought...make some more temples :)

Did you sell all of those temples by the way? I keep meaning to ask you.

Lake I swear your creativity and talent are amazing. And you keep topping yourself with everything you make.

I hope for lots of snow this winter so you make lots o' stuff!

Looking forward to it!

Jerome, thanks for stopping by!

A popular tiki to carve and one of the tops on my list!

leleliz, all the mini tiki establishments sold at Ohana in September.

Many happy new owners!

Thanks for all your kind compliments, I really appreciate them!

But please, no more snow!!!

The cold is enough to chase one indoors here, having to drag myself out to clear the driveway of a foot of snow is worse!

I've gotten myself into a stack of ambitious carvings this week.

Most of what I'm working on comes in at 3 feet tall.

Here's the first of these larger wall hangings, fashioned after the Steven Crane Luau Cannibal posts...

36" H x 6.5" W

Ooooooo. How much?

Wow, demz iz BIG! I'd like to see a shot of it with something to give us an idea of it's size.
Speaking of big, surf was BIG last night. Big drops, and f-a-s-t rides! Hope surfs good for you there too.

Very nice! When are you going to get back to the logs? Just curious

B

Nice stuff as usual Lake, I suppose with winter coming on you will be making lots more of these small pieces do deck the walls with? Lookin' good.

L
laojia posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2009 5:09 AM

Very good carving as usual... Moreover, it is time to eat here! :roll:

J.

T

Very cool cannibals. I love the surface textures you apply to these. Killer work.

Nice work on the Cannibal carving, Lake. Keep bringing us the hits,
always great to see what you are gonna do next.

wow another masterpiece keep up the good work

Aloha everyone, and thanks so much for your kind words!

Kate, I'll send you a PM with the details.

surfin, ask and you shall receive!

Good to hear you're getting some waves, I'll be getting out today and tomorrow on a nice South swell.

drasticwagon, thanks! Holding onto some of my smaller logs for future commissions, and it is getting kinda chilly to work on the bigger ones outdoors. I'm sure there will be a couple smaller logs carved in the months to come, though.

Benzart, thanks much! Yes, Winter does drive the smaller projects as studio space limits the type of work I do. Sometimes smaller is better. :wink:

Jerome, thank you, and yes, I can see how this one can make a person hungry! :lol:

Big T, many thanks! Lot's of extra work for myself, but the payoff comes in the end.

Conga, thanks for stopping by, and as always I appreciate the compliments!
I'll do my best to keep mixing things up and keep things fresh.

Marcus, good to hear from you and thanks for your kind compliment!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-11-06 10:36 ]

Awesome as always Lake Surfer! One of these days, I will own one of your carvings!

Slacks, thanks so much for the props!

Whenever you're ready, I'd be happy to be a part of your tiki paradise!

C

Oh very very cool Cannibal Trio, wow!

Another awesome piece, Lake!

Clarita and Bill, thanks for stopping by and thanks so much for your compliments!

Bill, I love your website... very classy!

great piece lake, love the trio!

Amy

Thanks Amy!

Good to hear from you!

Love the Treehouse Village!

9 foot commission in the driveway.

More to come...

what a tease

T

Rhhhaaaaaaaaaaa so cool!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies