Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

Sweet! Can you get it carved before the first snows?

F-Yeah!

This is going to be awesome

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 3:59 PM

Are you bringing it to California?

HELL YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! thats the stuff im talkin about right there!! now this ought to be frickin awsome!!!! this is gonna hurt just waitin for pics !! ohhhh its gettin bad already!! go go go go!!!!! cheerz!!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I KNEW IT WAS COMNG SOON WHEN I ASKED. Awesome Bro.

I gonna guess that log is Walnut??

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Nov 12, 2009 7:54 AM

...awesome piece of WOOD there!

Aloha everyone, and thanks for your enthusiasm!

Just a little bit of drying yet before I can get going on the big log.

It is a commission that is going to a local car club's hangout, so the tiki will be hot rod inspired.

We're discussing using engine parts for some of it... some chrome pipes coming out of it... something along those lines.

Sorry Marcus :) Updates to come though!

Tahitiki, thanks man.

Sabu, I'm secretly hoping we don't get any snow this winter. But we're a ways off from any big snows.

surfin, you know it!

Polynesiac, I sure hope so... hell of a log!

Grog, I think I'd have to buy my own plane to get this guy out to California.

BIG tiki scott, thanks for the hype!

drasticwagon, I had no idea the guy was ready to go on it, he just dropped the log off the other day.

A.S., this one is pine. I told the customer I couldn't come up with a 9 foot pine last April, well he went out and found one for me!

TikiG, thank you, but it gets better...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-11-12 11:01 ]

I've been jazzed on this tiki since I saw the menu for Canlis' Charcoal Broiler.

So to add to my collection of large wall hangings, here is the finished product...

33.5" H x 6" W x .75" D

Couldn't put this one down... was up until 2:30 am this morning finishing it up.

Dave, your endless research is really paying off.

Nice Carve!

i like this one alot!
a great twist on those standard totems....
yay Dave!

Andy!
Thanks my friend!
Too much research sometimes. :)

Ken!

Thank you also!
This one is one of my favorites too, and was a fun carve.

Lake , Get that log in the garage and put some torches to it to dry it out, so we can see it come alive as you carve it! Looks like fun my friend! Aloha, Mooney

B

On 2009-11-11 12:24, Lake Surfer wrote:

I know you'll kill us with that massive log.

Can't wait !

Benjamin.

S

The wall hanging is sharp lots going on.

I'm getting exited just looking @ that 9' (get going on it)

Aloha Mooney, Benjamin and Seeks!

Thanks for stopping by!

Good news... I've been busy the last few days!

Over the last week I've been getting the now 8 foot log ready for carving.
Lot's of sanding to get the surface nice and smooth. I was also waiting for the call on the final height from the customer.

That call came Sunday morning, and I set out to drawing the tiki out on the log.
Before dark, I had the mouth all carved out.

This guy will head off to the clubhouse of the Hoodlums Car Club when he is finished.

The last few pictures are progress by end of day Monday.

Work continues Tuesday morning...

T

On 2009-11-17 00:39, Lake Surfer wrote:
Work continues Tuesday morning...

NICE. Damn you're fast. And how the hell did you lift that thing up into your workbenches?! I would have had to carve that thing on the ground...

Many thanks BigT!

I'm feeling it today. The arms and back are sore.
But... onward!

As far as lifting it, yes its a heavy one. You've got to squat lift it from the small end onto the sawhorse, then go to the big end and squat lift that part onto the carving bench. As more and more material is removed, it does get easier.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 17, 2009 10:00 AM

On 2009-11-17 07:21, TheBigT wrote:
And how the hell did you lift that thing up into your workbenches?! I would have had to carve that thing on the ground...

GROG guess you've never seen a picture of Lake Surfer. The guy is huge!

K
Kino posted on Tue, Nov 17, 2009 10:25 AM

YIPPEEEE !!!
Lake Surfer,
I like the big stufff.
Cant wait to see more progress.

Nice Job. I got excited when I saw *Update.

Grog... right after that picture was taken I lifted that tiki clean over my head!

Kino, thanks much!

drasticwagon, thanks also!

The arms and shoulders are well rested after a couple days of smaller work... Thursday its back to the big guy again!

Lake that pole is looking Great, and Dude you must be able to paddle all day as Burley as you are!!!! Hey I think I need my house lifted this spring for spring cleaning!!! Keep up the always Sweet carvings,Happy Thanksgiving as well my friend, Aloha, Jimmy Mooney

B

Excellent work there Lake, he has a mighty big Mouth! Don't go getting all fancy on us now, he's lookin'good.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hes lookin bad ass!!! the toungue is awsome!!! and i cuncure you are speedy!!! but at the same time i prob wldnt be able to keep away from it for long either!! lol! cheerz!

Mooney, Benz and BigTikiScott, many thanks for your compliments! Much appreciated!

I woke up again with sore arms and back, and after getting a look at the big guy in daylight, I'm not surprised.

I really cruised on this one... hard to stop when you get in the flow.

Little peeks of sun this morning, so I rolled him out of the garage for a few pictures.

Just the skulls left to carve, then he gets finished up and delivered to his new home!

Carving this guy has been a pleasure.
This is one of the best pine logs I've ever had to carve, and it was supplied by the customer.

K
Kino posted on Fri, Nov 20, 2009 11:14 AM

Amazing how you can turn that kind of work out in
such a short time !!
You must have some real sharp chisels .
Cant wait to see the finish.

J

On 2009-11-20 11:14, Kino wrote:
Amazing how you can turn that kind of work out in
such a short time !!

I was thinking the same thing.

hes wicked sweet!!! uvin the whole thing and just dyin to see him w all the finish on!! cheerz!!

Thanks for stopping by guys!

Kino, I'm paying for it in aches and pains. The arms are sore, the back is sore and the legs are sore.
But he's nearly done, and payday is what keeps the mallet swinging. :wink:

I did buy a brand new chisel just for this tiki, and the machined edge held just about all the way through.

Johnny, I think of it this way, I don't need to join a health club now for the free weights.
Build muscle through wood carving! :)

BIG tiki scott, thanks much! I talked with the client tonight and we're going with Early American stain as a finish.
Probably some highlights painted on after that. Delivery and install is next weekend!

Nice Job Sir

That Tiki is awesome, I'm impressed, great work!

On 2009-11-20 10:13, Lake Surfer wrote:

BIGGER IS BETTAH! Mo'def chops Dave!! :tiki:

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 11:35 AM

Maybe you should change your name to 8 FT Tiki since 8FT is m.i.a.

Wow! You shrank the house and the tiki! That's hard to do!! HAAAAAAAAAA

L

:lol: GROG the anti-gloom! :lol:

WOW Dave! Good work on this guy and so fast! I'm gone few day and it's already finished... I understand the pain of your member... Now the worst is over.

Waiting the finishing and the install pics!

J.

surfin and Jerome, thanks for swinging on by to my thread!

Install pictures coming soon... looking like this weekend for delivery after I get some more painting done on this guy.
Install should be fun... he's still pretty heavy.

New work will be posted this weekend if we can get some sunlight here to take pictures in.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

8T

On 2009-11-22 11:35, GROG wrote:
Maybe you should change your name to 8 FT Tiki since 8FT is m.i.a.

House not smaller, tiki not smaller, Grog brain smaller, Lake grow BIGGER. 8FT not M.I.A. Nice work as usual Lake. Keep 'em coming. I WAS lost but now I'm found thanks to Grog search party. See avatar below.

Thanks for the props, 8 Foot!

Good to see ya back!

One day before delivery... color is on and it is ready for it's new home.

Managed a shot of it in the last hour of sunlight today...

I'm pleased with how the color turned out. I was going for a gritty, weathered look... something you'd find in a hot rodder's garage.
I was sent photos of the space he's going in and I think he'll blend well.

Hopefully shots of the install as soon as Sunday!

Nice job man.

B

Looks real good lake, Love the subdued colors.

Looks great with the subtle colors. Nice job!

BIG and BADASS!
the stain/coloring really brought out the good stuff!
clapclapclap!

Benz, TikiMango and Ken!

Thanks guys for the kind compliments!

I'm pretty stoked with how the whole thing came together, and today seeing how well the tiki jelled with the space he's in.

Today was delivery day, and we took some pictures to share...

The tiki had to fit between the floor and a beam, so I left extra on so that it could be trimmed to size onsite.

After that, it was time to lug him upstairs to his new roost.

More measuring and a little more cutting to get him wedged in there.

Lifting into place.

Installed.

The carver and the customer.

Good times on this one!

Some more new creations soon!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-11-28 18:50 ]

On 2009-11-27 20:04, Lake Surfer wrote:
I was going for a gritty, weathered look... something you'd find in a hot rodder's garage.
I was sent photos of the space he's going in and I think he'll blend well.

Seeing it in place, it DOES blend and belong very well!

Aloha Bill!

Thanks for the props!

Rocky has a really cool space. He's stoked about his newest piece of decor.
The opportunity for me to step outside of what I do regularly was a lot of fun.

Here's a couple shots of the lounge...

I also got the full tour today of his great hot rod collection in the garage below the lounge.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies