Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 8:43 PM

Good job. You're hired.

Vvvrrrooommm... screw it, lets' ride! :wink: Spot on Lake, you hit the target!!! :D

Nice to see another "BIG" Lakesurfer carve! Super job on the tiki
and the automotive parts...I'm sure the new owner is very proud!

High Five Mr. Lake!

J

That guy fits so well in there, it looks like he built the space to fit the tiki. :)

Lake - Awesome job bruddah! One week it's drying and what another week it finished.. amazing..
Cool design, fits in really nice with the bar..

BB

Grog, Jonesey, Conga, drasticwagon, Johnny and Beachbumz...

Thanks so much my friends for all the kind words and for peeping the new pictures!

Grog, when do I start?

Jonsey! Mahaloz!
I'll be back at Rocky's place next Spring to do some tikis outside on the property. The other club members will be knocking on my door soon also.
And they're setting me up with a radio show interview soon to talk tiki and hot rod.
Good times!

Conga, he's stoked! He called a bunch of friends over to check it out yesterday and I got a chance to chill out and down a few PBRs. :wink:
I'm just glad I was able to work out the engine on the log, that was the part I stressed most about.

drasticwagon, five back 'atcha! Thanks man!

Johnny, thanks much! When we moved him in there and I saw how much it matched the color of the wood work I was beaming. :)
Mission Accomplished!

Thanks Beachbumz! I had to get that big log out of my garage so I can get the snow blower out this coming weekend!
It was one of those tikis you can't stop working on until its done!

I was bouncing around a lot between the 8 footer and some other new projects I wanted to work out.

Many of them are up for sale in the Marketplace now.

PNG continues to draw me further in... here is a Kararau Village Suspension Hook I finished up last week...

Hand surgery coming up soon... much to do before then!

lake surfer just saw your fin pics of 8ft tiki hes wicked sweet all dun up and very very fitting in his new home!!! well dun!! hats off!! cant wait for more!!! cheerz!!

BIG tiki scott, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliments!

It feels good having the big guy all done as the cold and snow begins to set in here.

He looks real happy in his new home as opposed to laying down in my cold garage!

T

That 8 footer is a real masterpiece. Nice new PNG work too. It's taking on a real authentic quality to it. Well done.

L
laojia posted on Tue, Dec 1, 2009 8:45 PM

On 2009-11-30 00:05, Lake Surfer wrote:

PNG continues to draw me further in... here is a Kararau Village Suspension Hook I finished up last week...

Very cool carving, Dave. your PNG pieces are always succesful...
And nice install for the 8ft, colors and style seem very appropriate to this lounge. congrats!

J.

Big T and jerome!

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your compliments!

C
claq50 posted on Wed, Dec 2, 2009 7:46 PM

Awsome work on the 8 footer, makes me want to try my hand at one.

Whoah...

I am just amazed at how you manage to achieve this aged and authentic surface finish in both the raw wood and your use of pigments. You are a MASTER of New Guinea/Melanesian carving.

Aloha!

Marcus

C

Great new ones, the 8 footer and the Kararau Village Suspension Hook, really great!

B

The big guy looks Excellent Lake, looks like you took some time with his finish and the install is really Super.
Your PNG piece looks like it came right off the boat from there. Good stuff.

Swinging on by to thank you all for your kind compliments!

claq50: thanks so much! I say go for it! Pace yourself though, the arms burn worse the days after then when your carving it! 8 feet is a lotta log!

Aweulekuula: I'm nervous every time I begin the finishing moves on pieces like these. Slowly and surely layering many elements brings me to the finish that you see here. Your comments make me quite proud of the work I do and I really appreciate the compliment!

Clarita: Muchas Gracias! Keep up the great work yourself!

Ben: Many, many thanks for the kind compliments! Lot's of stressing out on the last 2 pieces... you know how it goes on wanting to get everything just right.
Relieved and proud now looking back on them, especially the 8 footer. The new owner is very pleased with his new art!

S

Wow! Lake it don't get anymore exact than that!
Looks like a original there. Nice work.

Thanks Seeks!
How's things in the NW?
Looks to be pretty chilly in your parts lately.

Snowstorm going on here in the Great Lakes.

Luckily, warmer winds off the lake are keeping the heavy snow inland, so we're not getting much on the shore.

Waiting for the Wednesday offshores to clean up the big wind swell cranking out of the the East, then a plunge to single digits.

So with no surf Tuesday I had a couple hours to sink into this new 2 footer... an end cut off of the 8 foot log that was commissioned.

A little Hawaiian style to warm things up.

Another update after some snow storm surfing!

B

On 2009-11-27 20:04, Lake Surfer wrote:

OMG ! OMG ! OMG !

Top stuff.

Bravo,

B.

Thats a great Tiki. I heard on the news today that there where 18 foot waves up there somewhere.

Benjamin, thanks for the props!

drasticwagon, thank you also!

Surf was still slop here today, still blown out. East winds are unreliable.
Open water Lake Superior is supposed to get to 20 foot. Open water Lake Michigan around 12 foot.
With below zero temps, we're going to start building shore ice, and that may be the end of surfing for a few weeks. :(

In other news, after cleaning up what little snow we got, I sunk the chisels back into the 2 footer.

Wrapped up carving late afternoon, got him stained up and weathered...

Kalalau Ku
24" H x 16" W

5 hours from start to finish I think. A nice chunk of pine.

Off to find something else to carve...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-12-09 18:43 ]

Lake, I can't recall seeing you carve anything 3D before, but damn you do it as well as your flat work!

Even better now.
Wow 5 hours!

L
laojia posted on Wed, Dec 9, 2009 9:13 PM

On 2009-12-09 18:41, Lake Surfer wrote:

5 hours from start to finish I think. A nice chunk of pine.

5 hours!!!

We feel that winter is here and when it is cold it motivates them to tap the chisel .... very good job for so little time!

J.

BD

damn lake,

i guess i been away for too long. great work you're doing, as usual. how are the waves? should be getting really good about this time of year. stay warm, ride some good ones and keep carving.

bd

Ku rocks!

Funny, just today I started whittling some pine as well and I see this thread. An awesome job, and only 5 hours to do it? Goodness! You are fast AND good.

Aloha!

Marcus

Bill, much thanks!
I don't do as many logs as I used to, but its fun to carve 'em up when I have them.
Here's a shot from Hukilau 2005, and some very shiny tikis...

I started doing the flatwork in 2007 and have been hooked on that since.

drasticwagon, thanks again. Yep, 5 hours. Blame it on the ADHD. If I don't get it done quick, I get distracted. :wink:

Jerome, thank you! Bitter cold here today, 10 degrees F
Best place to be is hunkered down in the warm studio carving a tiki.

big daddy, thanks for the props! Too cold now for surfing... when windchills get around -35 its time to hang it up.
Hoping for a thaw soon though.

Aweulekuula, thanks also! Fast and furious I guess... I can't wait to see the finished product!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-12-10 11:38 ]

Hey Dave do you have a website? I really enjoy looking at all your stuff on here, just wanting to see more. I would love to have a 2 footer like the one you just made if you have some time after the first of next year.
Thanks
Scotty

Great looking 5-hr tiki there! Wow.

Scotty, I don't have a website right now. Never got around to putting one together since I'm always carving. I've got some downtime so I might start putting something together soon. I've done a lot since 1999, and I keep changing things around every year.

I'd love to carve you up something after I get healed up from some upcoming hand surgery... was supposed to be today but got delayed a few days now.
I'll keep you updated.

TikiMango, many thanks! I appreciate the compliment!

Thanks Dave, no hurry and good luck on the surgery. I would just like one of my first ones to come from you.
Thanks

Frozen solid here in the Midwest... hunkered down this weekend and carved a special piece that I have had on my wish list for a couple years.

Rarotongan Staff God

42" H x 8" W

These averaged about thirteen feet in length, though some were longer.
Missionaries tore many to pieces, but some were saved and sent to England.
Usually only the upper portion has survived.
This is what my piece is based on.

BRAVO!
that's one nice raratongan staff there!
How you accomplish ANYTHING in that COLD
is a miracle!
Stay Toasty!

very cool stuff lake!! just lettin yah know im a huge fan!! beautiful stuff hats off!! stay warm!! cheerz!!

Thank you Mr. Ruzic!
If you don't keep moving up here you'll freeze solid.
December only, and cabin fever is setting in!

Thanks BIG tiki scott, as always I appreciate the props!
Things would be a lot warmer if Florida would stop stealing our warm air every winter. :wink:

B

:o

Did you steal it in a museum ?
Crazily amazing.

Bravo,

B.

Benjamin, I wouldn't know which to look in!

It would have been easier than staring at books for 2 years trying to figure out all the details!

Thank you for the compliment, hopefully my next one will go a bit easier!

One last piece... then its off to have hand surgery in the morning...

8.5" W x 20" H

I'll be on the Disabled List for a few weeks. :(

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-12-17 19:43 ]

Best of luck with your surgery Dave,

Take care Dave, be sure to follow doc's orders and heal quickly.
By the way, the Moari piece is a great way to slide off into a little
hiatus!

T

Love the Rarotongan and as always your photoshop skilz are killin me! :wink:

Cool one, Dave! Love the gradient colors.

Best of luck with the surgery, man. You'll be whittlin' away before too long!!!

Cheers, buddy~

Andy

B

YEs, the Maori piece is nice.
I hope your hand repair goes well and that you can be back to making wood chips soon, what procedure are you having done?
Best wishes and leave those nurses alone!

Aloha guys, and thanks for the well wishes!
I had surgery today to remove a vascular tumor in my hand.
Most times caused by trauma to the hand.

Hand is swollen to the size of a balloon, and it hurts like hell, but I'm looking to the day I can carve again.

Thanks for the compliments on the new piece, and I hope to explore the theme again soon!

B

Best wishes for your healing dude.
Hope the moari inspiration will take you more often :wink: Crazy stuff.

B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies