Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

Thanks Grog, if only it was so easy on the back and arms I wouldn't curse the morning! Getting too old for all that work!

Creative Chimp, thanks for your kind compliments!

McTiki, thanks for stopping by! I'd love to come and liberate some of that palm from you! Fun stuff!

Andy, takes you a while, but you eventually make it over here. :wink: Hard to compete with Sammy all the time! The joys of parenthood I imagine!

Thanks Fred, and thanks again for this log! Nice to have the opportunity to try something different!

Matt, mahalos!

mijaba, many thanks! This is one of my favorites to carve this year!

Atomic Tiki Punk, sorry! It hurt to miss Oasis this year, but expenses prevented me from attending. I am doing Forbidden Island though in a few weeks! Looking forward to seeing all my friends up there!

tikigodz, thanxs much... much appreciated!

Seeks, getting a little closer to perfect, but still a long ways to go! On the back burner for a few weeks now though!

I'm really stoked to be a part of the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale this year! Had to miss last year due to another event, but this year's will be one of the highlights of my summer for sure! I've been working on lot's of great new stuff just for this event, and here's one of them!

Maori Waka with Warriors 10" H x 20" W

I have not done any watercraft since last year's Oasis inventory, and this one is brand new. A Maori Waka canoe with three warriors in it. Weapons yet to come, but the 2 pieces I have are already stained and aged. Looking forward to showing them in a few weeks at Forbidden Island!

And here are a few shots of some tiki inventory from this summer!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-12-01 21:04 ]

N

Awesome tiki I love the finish you get on these

C

me too, great finish a la lake surfer!

T

Yeahh great finish . How do you do that again? hahaha

L
  1. Lined up for a sun bath... Great pics for great work Dave!

J.

Nomolos, Clarita, tikigodz and Jerome... many thanks for all your kind words! Much appreciated!

I was able to finish up the new watercraft I was creating for the Forbidden Island sale. I was able to get 2 of them done.
I call the piece, "The Conquerors."
It is a Maori Waka with three warriors in it. Each warrior brandishes a carved Patu.

10.5" H x 21" W

Lot's of idol necklaces to do now... back to work!

A
amate posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 9:01 AM

once again, I love the way you finish these. Puts it over the top!

Thanks much amate!

Exploring some new concepts these days, and working with some new colors soon!

Kool stuff Lakes,it's great to see you bang'n out some fantastic tiki's,you know Im a huge fan of sand'n
as little as needed,sure wish I was headed for Alameda.Friends just bought me back some kool stuff
from frankie's in vegas tho.Cheers Watango

Thanks Watango for the props! Good to hear from ya!

Forbidden Island was a ton of fun again this year, as was our whole weekend in the Bay Area!

W

Aloha Dave,

Nui Niho wanted to let you know he's doing well. Spent today amongst the early fall flowers.

Looking forward to seeing your 10th anniversary work.

Mahalos!

Chris

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-10-03 17:07 ]

Aloha Chris!

Sweet! He looks great amongst all the color!

Just a tip... make sure he is not on bare ground. It will help keep him dry and mold free. I like to put mine on 8-10" round patio stones.

I'm glad he has a great home with you!

Your new pieces are on their way... shipped this morning!

Thanks for the picture!!!

W

Aloha Dave!

I have to admit that Nui Niho was posed for that "glamour shot". :)

He spends most of his time on the backyard deck guarding the door, thanks for the tip though. I have diligently
kept him out of the rain since he came to live here.

Mahalo,

Chris

L
laojia posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 1:34 PM

Cool pic' for a beautiful carving!

You guys rock! :)

Winding down a little here after a busy summer. I've got a bunch of new landscaping to do here in the yard now that things have slowed a bit.
Many projects in my head, but right now I'm getting done a bunch of stuff that was put off during the summer. That and starting to batten down the hatches for another long Winter. Back to the chisels again soon though!

Before I left for the Bay Area, I was commissioned by Rugby Matt to do a sign for his home bar. It makes it debut this weekend at the Sacramento Crawl.

A catchy name, melding his love of rugby and love of tiki!

Thanks Matt!

As the new year approaches, thoughts turn to my new collection for 2011. Some very special things in the works as I celebrate 10 years of tiki carving!

More to come!

F

Ah, there it is! Very nice, Dave. Clean and professional. Matt should love it.

Thanks Fred for the compliments! Matt got the sign today, and he's stoked about it!
That makes me stoked!

Tiki Landscaping going on this week! Dirt, rocks and plants.

Hopefully back to wood next week!

Still regrouping from the busy Spring and Summer, but the batteries are nearly charged.

Spending a lot of time working through ideas for next year's work and some special pieces for my 10 year anniversary of tiki carving.

Stumbled across the Motherload of Yellow Pine today!

I think the tree was recently dead, as the pieces were very light, unchecked and just lying about cut.

A good surface sand and they'll be ready to go!

Lot's of holiday pieces in the works, I'm hoping to be a part of the Tonga Hut Holiday Show if it falls on the weekend I am in California.
If not, the new work will be available here exclusively.

And big plans at Foundation Tiki Bar in the next 2 months! Bar expansion means I'll be doing some new pieces including 2 Marquesan poles.

More to come soon!

Awesome news Lake, can't wait to see ya get at it.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2010-10-30 19:53 ]

We loved Matt's sign at the Sacramento Home Bar Crawl!!! Great picture of you holding it. Your work is really wonderful and 10 years of carving is something to shout about. :)

W

On 2010-10-30 19:45, Lake Surfer wrote:
More to come soon!

Sweet! Looking forward to more great carves.

Chris

T

Killer sign. I'm glad that was you hefting a dozen logs around all on one trip. :wink:

Thanks guys!

The first of a bunch of new pieces was delivered to Foundation Tiki Bar today. I was commissioned to do a PNG mask this week.
Carving was yesterday, and I stayed up until early this morning painting it.

23" H x 18" W
Hand Carved and Hand Painted

New Marquesan Poles soon!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-11-05 16:36 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2012-05-06 10:38 ]

C

That's real purty Dave, Really love your png influenced stuff. Keep em coming!

Thanks my North Woods friend! Just trying to get back in the swing of things again. This year took a lot of steam out of me.
Regrouping over the last few months has made me hungry once again... and there's lot's in the works for 2011!

C

beautiful mask!

Thank you Clarita! Nice to have you stop by!

T

Way cool Lake!!!

F

Very cool Dave! I like the technique you used on the paint. They are muted and yet manage to really stand out.

So, are you getting all squirreled away for the indoor winter carving season?

Tahitiki, thanks for the compliment and thanks for stopping by!

Thanks also Fred! I really enjoy the painted pieces, they are a nice calm contrast tot he woodchips and chisels flying about.

I am already geared up for the long, cold winter. I have a bunch of logs prepped and dry, and I'm currently working on holiday theme pieces for the Tiki Wonderland show in LA next month. Plenty to keep me busy, and warm!

Yep, the Tiki Temples are back again.

A special collection of "Silent Night at the Tiki Bar" is in the works for the Tiki Wonderland show next month.

The foundations are all set and the build out will begin soon. These are all going to have a really cool holiday theme.

More to come...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-11-09 09:30 ]

W

On 2010-11-09 09:27, Lake Surfer wrote:

Yep, the Tiki Temples are back again.

A special collection of "Silent Night at the Tiki Bar" is in the works for the Tiki Wonderland show next month.

The foundations are all set and the build out will begin soon. These are all going to have a really cool holiday theme.

More to come...

Maybe you'll save one of those for your loyal customer in Nebraska? :wink:

Have to see how they come together... and sell. I'm starting on all the beams now.

I'll keep you updated Chris, and thanks for your interest!

Happy 200,000 Lake!

I'm a little late, so actually happy 200,720!
Buzzy Out!

Wow, that's pretty cool. 200,000 + views.

Thanks Buzzy!

Keeping busy here prepping new logs for next year and getting lots ready for the Tiki Wonderland show next month.

I put the wraps on 4 of those pieces early Wednesday morning. These limited edition Holiday Tiki Temples will be for sale at Tiki Wonderland!

Scratch built from wood and other materials, these come in at 14" W x 9" H x 2.5" D

"Hawaiian Holiday"

"Merry Marquesan"

Closeup

The two styles together

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-11-19 11:40 ]

Those are great Dave!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris

fun stuff Lake...great little touches...I love the snow piled up on the beams :)

Dayum! Those are cool!

Thanks Chris!
Happy Thanksgiving to you also!

Conga, thank you also! Nothing says "tiki" like a little snow, eh? :wink:
At least in Wisconsin!

Big Kahuna, thanks for the compliment, and thanks for stopping by!

They turned out just terrific, Dave! BRAVO!
Looks like we got our Wisc. snow here for Thanksgiving.
3 inches and it's not going away! The boys are in Heaven!
Again- AWESOME job! Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy my friend, thanks for the kind compliments! Just a few months ago we were talking about them... now they are done.

Good to hear the boys got some snow! I noticed its been pretty cold by you. The hammer has dropped here finally also, cold weather but now snow yet.
I'm glad. Not looking forward to cleaning it off the driveway anytime soon. You can have all our snow this year. No really, take it all! :)

Mahalo, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family!

Holy Crap!!
Dave, it's been a long, long time since I've seen anything that cool.
Amazing work!

Thanks Fred! Good to hear from ya!

These are a lot of fun but they take some focus. It is nice to take a break from the physical effort that the logs take, though.

Just finished up "Christmas Ku" tonight. Having some fun with the holiday theme and tikis lately, and creating a whole bunch of new work for the Tiki Wonderland party at Tonga Hut. Stoked to be heading out to California in a bit seeing as how we've got snow in the forecast here. Looking forward to Christmas lights and palm trees!

16" H x 6" W

Carved from Yellow Pine

Cranking out some more holiday theme work... here are some Ku ornaments I did last week.

These measure in at around 5 3/4" tall. Bows and a light dusting of "snow" on top to complete them.

B

Yes, that's Way cool,, Lots of peeps enjoyin'Yer stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies