Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

What's a wet suit?

Water is 83 - but slick calm.

TG

Now that's what I'm talking about. Ship surfing!!! WOOOHOOO! Done that before. Hey who are those two kooks in the picture holding their boards in that classic black and white surf pose? Looks pretty small to me, but fun;)

Had a blast bro'. Yeah the Dolphins were abnormally active that day. Never seen one toss things in the air and catch it like it did. It was a real treat. Glad you got to experience it. Don't think you will be seeing too many Dolphins in Lake Michigan.

Cool newspaper shot. You are now officially a Lake Surfing Celebrity. They should of waited to take the shot until you stood up though. I know you can. Iwas witness to many long rides by you!

B
Bete posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 3:50 PM

You are just way too cool Lake Surfer, that's awesome!

On 2006-10-16 02:40, Tamapoutini wrote:
Did you make the piece youre holding? Can we have a closer look, looks sweet... T

Wish I could but I gotta have some secrets! :wink: I'm sure you'll see more later as I perfect the things we were working on while I was there.

On 2006-10-17 12:57, Haole Kat wrote:
That's a great pic, Dave. Looks like you and Gary had a blast. What was your dolphin experience?

Josh

Mahalos Josh, it was a fun time even in the little waves. Surf is surf.

Dolphins, man... it was a whole ocean experience all week. Schools of mullet, sardines... whatever else. Sharks jumping out of the water all week... Jellyfish at Cocoa Beach. Pelicans.

The coolest was when I was out surfing with Gary and a pod of dolphins came in to feed... a couple lingered closer and I paddled out for a closer look... I was less than 20 feet from the one for about 10 minutes... what a trip to be out there with such a beautiful creature. Then watching the other two play catch with something as Gary mentioned... too much.

All that gear and no hood - don't you worry about surfer's ear? Your noggin must be freezing! I wear my gloves well into spring - gotta look after your hands when you carve.
Cool pic of Wayne Coombs too, he looks like "a bit of a hard shot" as we say around these parts.

It was pretty cold before I was in Florida, but yesterday the aor was 58 and the water has warmed a bit into the high 40's. Not too bad, but I'll have the hood on soon. I have friends that have had surfer's ear... not fun as they have to drill out your ear canal... yipes.

Wayne, he's a great guy. I knew of his personality way before hanging with him so I was prepared. I really appreciated the time he took out of his busy day to show a rook a thing or two. :wink:

Well, with a slow Hukilau this year I brought a lot back home. That and I just plain brought too much stuff. So I'm good for a few months on tikis. There's a few loads going to a couple different outlets for retail... but its time for some "me time."

After much thought and debate over a name and theme I'm going with a surf/tiki bar with a touch of nautical decor. Trader Vic's meets The Ventures.

In homage to a long departed tiki bar in my city I think I will go with the "Leilani Longboarder Lounge." I have to sit on it a while yet though.

Work began last night...

Hauled $575 worth of raw materials home from Fort Lauderdale, the rest will be created by me.

Had to rip off a lot of nasty lineoleum and padding and vinyl to get to the bare bones of the bar. It will be a good starting point and is a well built, sturdy bar. Saves me a step.

The fun part is going to be the bar top. I want to do something that I saw in the Wreck Bar at the Yankee Clipper. I brought a bunch of sand and shells back from Florida for materials to work with. I'll be putting an extra layer on the existing bar top to gouge out pockets and make it look rotted.

Bar prepping is next... not fun, but necessary to get it ready for the artsy touches. Sand, paint, add new boards, stain.

Stay tuned...

B
Bete posted on Fri, Oct 20, 2006 8:46 AM

I'm sure it's going to turn out looking really, really cool.

Bar's looking good. Was that you giving a shout out to the Tigers during the Cold Water Classic webcast?

J

Nice load of tropical loot you brought back. I don't think there is that much bamboo in all of Michigan.
JP

If the bar turns out anything like your carvings, your home bar post is really gonna be fun to
watch! I like the name that you are thinking of. I don't have a great deal of vintage tiki bar
stuff, but I do have a nice Leilani ashtray. Will keep watching this one.

B

Looks like you have the makin's of a Dynamite tiki bar, can't wait to see the finished product.

Looking fabulous Dave!

Making the Leeward Lounge was one of the best things I've ever done. Pretty soon a Wisconsin home bar tour may be in order. :wink:

Been taking care of business lately, a new bar named Duke's is opening soon... doing some surf decor for them and getting some custom work ready for Tiki Terrace in Chicago.

The Big Hang is this weekend... the matting and reed fencing goes up in the home bar on Sunday with Dad's help... and by then this molding I've been working on will be ready to go up too.

In 8 foot sections, it has been taking a bit of time to do. I need to finish 52 feet of it. It is going between the matting and the reed fencing. Verticle bamboo will cover the seams between the 4x8 sheets of matting. By Sunday night, my dream of a home tiki bar will start to appear!

Updates soon...

M

Lake...Isn't this fun? It's one thing to do it for others, it's quite another thing to do your own! happy happy ! Have a Mai Tai with Dad once you get it all hung. The detail work on the molding looks awesome man.

Mahalo

McTiki

Man, I'm jealous. I've been lusting after doing another home bar for myself for a year now. I've saved up 54 glass floats and 9 big ship's lamps and bunches of 6-8 inch big bamboo for rafters..now I've got that minor detail of owning my own home once again... That space is PERFECT! Ceiling height is just right. How about "Wisconsin Duke's"?

Lake,

Jet Blue has 36$ one ways from Chicago to Long Beach, Ca. starting Jan.

You can come out and surf for a weekend for less than 100 bucks!

The water will be like a sauna for you!!

p.s. We're a couple of blocks from downtown H.B. Surf City.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-10-27 09:26 ]

M

"Sauna" is never 64 degrees Ben. Brrrr

Water temp here is still in the 70's

Mahalo

McTiki

McTiki... fun, yes! Work, as always! The arms are burning from 8 hours of plunge router. But I've got tiki moulding in my quiver now.
Staining today on the last 4 pieces and then prep for the Big Hang tomorrow. Part of that prep will included hydration (or dehydration) at the Tiki Terrace tonight as I have to drop off a load of tikis for them to sell for me. Can't leave without a drink or two!

BK... I'm sure someday I'll be lusting after your home space... you've got a way of pulling out all the stops and finding some incredible decor. I hope to pull off a classic look with my space... I've soaked in some of the beloved tiki temples in the country over the last few years... time to let them out of my head! Sounds like you have too many floats... you'll have to send some up my way! :wink: I'll be tackling my ceiling sometime in the future... for now the most important parts to me are the walls and the bar. It is a great space, and was one of the buying points of the home... starting with a good basement makes it all easier in the long run.

Benboo... Sounds great! By that time I'll have cabin fever something fierce if we're iced over here. I'll have to keep an eye on it. So if I mention your name in the lineup, I'll get my waves? :wink: Think I still may bring the 4/3 wetsuit... we've got icewater for blood but I need to keep the joints warm so they function properly. Waiting here today on a NW swell to develope... current conditions at the south buoy:

Wind Direction (WDIR): WNW ( 300 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 29.1 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 36.9 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 10.2 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 7 sec
Average Period (APD): 5.8 sec
Mean Wave Direction (MWDIR): NW ( 322 deg true )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 43.3 °F

Wind Chill (CHILL): 32.5 °F

Water Temperature (WTMP): 49.1 °F

My local report...
The surf is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNORGANIZED, BLOWN-OUT, CHOPPY AND UNRIDEABLE. IT IS "VICTORY AT SEA" OUT THERE TODAY!!! The surf is sizeable and growing by the hour however. We should see some SERIOUS surf by tomorrow morning with offshore reports calling for up to 20' surf S and E of Nantucket. As for our region we may potentially see surf half that size... that's 10'!
It should be standing up tomorrow with at least the potential of some BIG TUBES
The water is chilly...it is 52 degrees...go prepared with all your gear...

Why not "Lake Surfer Lounge"?

Surfintiki... hope you got some waves this past weekend! Waiting again on another swell here... hopefully a south wind swell with 60 degree temps...

Well, the Big Hang happened Sunday... I'm quite pleased with the first steps... lots more to do... detail work everywhere...

Gonna do more trim, custom outlet covers, have to work on the bar, verticle bamboo on the matting every 4 feet...

Much thanks to good 'ol Dad for his help... hanging matting can be a pain in butt.

The fruits of our labor... still going over 20 or so name possibilities...

The large half chunk of boo covers up a basement beam support that the previous owners moved to make room for the bar

More to come as soon as I get more done... business first... fun later :wink:

B
Bete posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 10:28 AM

Looking cool!

Wow, cheap airfare Rev.

JetBlue surfboard policy: 1 board per bag, $25 each way and it counts as one of your checked bags. Not the best policy out there but definitely not the worst.

Bar's looking great. Hope you caught some swell this weekend. Head high here with 25 mph off shore winds. Big and clean but hard to catch.

Barely started and it already looks great.
Keep going Lake, You'll smell the south seas breeze before you know it...

Buzzy

Lookin' good Lake!!!

Did you have music on while doing that? If so, what tunes??

Just curious..........

H

Did you have music on while doing that? If so, what tunes??

Just curious..........

Hope it wasn't 'Ankle-Slapper Blues'

Lookin' good, man----can't wait to see the progress!

[ Edited by: Lake surfer 2013-06-19 17:00 ]

Baby steps... put up some bamboo trim every 4 feet to frame off the matting... tossed a couple chairs in for a while...

Local craft store has fake plants 60% off right now... scored the palm for $21... gotta get back and get the Bird of Paradise and a Sago Palm...

Started unpacking wallhangings and building more frames for other stuff I've collected over the years... surf pics, Hukilau posters, Trader Vic's flyers...
Building a shadow box for my Kahiki souvenirs. Above the bar will be a thatch overhang.

More to come in the following weeks...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-11-03 00:39 ]

TG

Looking awesome! I knew you would go home and jump right on this project. Who wouldn't! Keep posting the pics. It's going to look sweet I know.

Hukilau... the goods.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-11-09 22:31 ]

I found some pictures of this cool little pole I did for one of my surfer friend's bonfire area...
It points out some of our major surf spots and their distances "as the crow flies." We put it in back in September and it was a hit at the last surf party.

More progress on the tiki/surf lounge...

Ceiling is painted and some wall decor going up...

Project this weekend is the palm thatch runner over the bar... and another coat of brown on the ceiling.

Then the bar...

And some new lighting...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-11-09 22:32 ]

Lake,

That is really nice. Its all coming together superbly.

Lots of texture.... tight craftsmanship..

Excellent

Nice!

B
Bete posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 10:38 AM

Awesome pictures Lake Surfer. That room is looking great, the pieces you made and that sign are cool.

Monkeyman, BK and Bete... thanks for the kind words. :)

Really enjoying some time off from carving tikis... this gives my mind a challenge on the same theme...

So, after some imagineering, I was able to construct and install the thatch overhang above the bar.

Quite pleased with how it came out.

Everyday I get closer to the work on the bar...

Found some great reproductions of vintage tin signs with a surf theme at a local retro store... thinking of picking them up and distressing them with rust and wear and tear along with my "Dangerous Shorebreak" sign I have already in one of the surf themed walls.

details... details... details...

holy cats Lakesurfer, fabulous effort on your lounge. Once you get some of your big honkin'
tikis in there it's gonna look like the real deal. One of the finer home bars for sure!

Thanks Conga! I've got a picture in my head, but kind of make it up as I go along. I have to really look at the space I've got and materials... and then go from there. The canopy was one of the major elements I wanted to put in, so that's done now. The bar is going to be a major project. As soon as I get everything in place I can look at spaces that need tikis and either fill in with what I have or create. I still have a 6 foot Oceanic inspired Trader Vic's pole to finish up that will go in.... maybe 2. I think smaller tikis will get lost, so I'll be making larger ones.

Always loved what you have going on at your place... a touch of tropical and a touch of the Northwoods. :wink:

As for me... heavily inspired by the dark moody corners of Hala Kahiki... :tiki:

Aloha, Lake Surfer. Your bar is really coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing all of the progress pics along the way. I think it will really come alive once you start populating it with your killer tikis. Could there be a fountain in the works?

A-A

Looks killer. The perfect place to defrost after a wintery day on the Lakes.

B
Bete posted on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 1:24 PM

It's looking so great Lake Surfer!

T

Lake, what a great job you are doing with that room!

Hey, thanks again!

An update... looks like it has been a while... real life and real job keeping me busy... and painting the rest of the house that we have only been in for a month and a half.

Some behind the scenes work going on... I had some shelves I built from my old tiki rooms in our apartments... they were lighter stain than I want now. But they have served their purpose well in the past and I want to use them in the new bar. Some stripper, new darker stain and weathering on the bamboo trim and they will be good as new and fit in with the theme of the new bar.

It has a name finally! I wanted something to tie in with tiki, my love of surfing and surf culture, and the South Seas.

Thus... Hale Nalu.

Anyhow... finally doing work on the bar itself. Inspired by the tables in the Wreck Bar in Fort Lauderdale, I am giving the bar top the look of old, rotted, pitted ship boards. Early American stain to come next.

In each pit will be white sand from Jax Beach and small shells. On top of that will be Pour-On. The clear coat on top of the wood will be 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.

I did pick up shells in Florida, but decided smaller ones would be better. $1.99 at Michael's crafts.

Update soon...

lake surfer the room is looking so cool

Marcus, thanks! Some great work coming out of your studio these days too! Hope you are enjoying early summer!

Dividing time between the bar and some other remodel projects around the house. I did get the bar front and side finished the last 2 days from the wee hours of midnight to 4 am. I keep weird hours sometimes, but have always found that late nights are my most creative hours for artistic ventures.

And after stripping (nasty stuff) and restaining the shelves I had made a few years ago... those are up and are holding mugs and various tiki clutter. I'm building more later... a double decker with a thatched roof.

Hoping to get at the bar top soon, and I have some more work to do on the back and inside shelves of the bar.

Did some somwehat simpler patterns on the 1 x 3" 's this time around... though the flowers were something new and turned out pretty good. Dry brushed off-white acrylic for some color.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 10:10 AM

Looks just great, very cool.

Thanks Bete.

Wow. The tikis I did for you are just about a year old now, huh? I remember that snowy cold day I dropped them off. Hope they have enjoyed the last year in your eclectic collection!

I tried my best to stay away from tiki carving. Didn't work. Time for a break from the bar to pay some bills.
Comissioned piece for a couple in Michigan. A little spot of hand painting. Just shy of 5 feet.

Lake,

Super sweet finish on that tiki, it looks nice and smooth. The white paint contrasts nicely with the dark finish. Are the lakes frozen over yet or are you getting some fresh water tubes? You're lucky to be able to build your killer tiki bar/ basement. I'm sure there will be plenty of Rum concoctions consumed there during the cold winter months.

Will

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies