Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the compliment!

Currently cranking on a pair of Marquesan Poles for Foundation Tiki Bar here in Milwaukee.
They will be a part of the brand new bar expansion.

Carving this Ash log is like carving a 5.5" inch thick baseball bat. Hard stuff!

Two tikis down, one to go. Final size will be 64" H x 5.5" W.

Fantastic!

Thank you sir! Appreciate the compliment!

I do wish I had some palm for these. It was a 9 hour carve to finish one. With palm, I'm sure it would have been 2-3 hours.

This Ash is so hard that my hands tingle after a while due to the shock. It is like hitting a million baseballs with a wooden bat.

On to the second pole.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jan 28, 2011 5:01 PM

dude I love the carving , but I have been most impressed for a while by your squeaky clean workshop!! not even a chip on the floor.

Thanks Kirby!

I actually just swept up before the pictures. :)

I usually sweep ever half hour or so. Drives me crazy walking around on wood chips, and I end up tracking them into the rest of the house.

The dust, that's another story. That's everywhere.

S

DAM I love them poles of yours. And those nice clean strong looking cuts!

Much thanks Seeks!

All done with them except for detail paint... photos soon!

damn that looks great! Now I am really getting jealous. We just dug out from a bunch of snow last week and now we getting ready for ice. I had to go out and wrap some of the yucca trees I have for fear the ice will kill em. I can't work in garage too long as it gets too cold. I love the chisel marks on the ash. Your work really looks fantastic. I have an ash log waiting after I am done with my current carve. Your getting me a little nervous about how hard the wood can be (I know we compared it against maple before...but I can't remember.... I sure hope it is at least easier that that)

Grand Poobah, thanks for your kind compliments!

Ash is a very hard wood, somewhat chippy at times, but holds a really clean edge.

Good luck.

Hunkered down here at home while we get pounded with a blizzard. 2 feet of snow before all is finished sometime tomorrow night. 3 days straight of snow. 50 mph winds.

Anyway, the poles are finished and I will be delivering them to Foundation Tiki Bar on Wednesday, probably by dogsled.

64" H x 5.5" W
Carved from Ash

Working on a few other pieces in between trying to keep the driveway passable.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 11:39 AM

Deliver them to GROG. :)

Grog, the dogs would get awfully tired on that trip, and because of the beautiful, sunny weather you have out there, I wouldn't have any snow to run the sled on.

The next ones are yours for sure!

L

Ya know Dave its a good thing you live in the frozen tundra. I am not sure how much carving you would get done if you lived somewhere warm and were able to go surfing in winter :)

Those poles are super nice!

Thank you very much Liz for your kind compliment! Very much appreciated!

I was finally able to deliver the poles tonight, after spending 6 hours digging out from a 2 1/2 foot blizzard.

It was nice to sip a couple of tropical drinks at the wonderful Foundation Tiki Bar with all that snow outside and the temperature at 9 degrees.

That is true escapism, and the heart of the Poly Pop Movement... in the dead of Winter my spirits were lifted by carving a couple of tikis and enjoying a tiki bar in the Midwest!

W

You lift ALL our spirits Dave, thank you! Great carves once again.

P

Aloha Lake,

You sir are a modern tiki master. Your carves are so awesome, I haven't seen one yet that I don't instantly like. I'm with Liz in being thankful you live in the frozen north, you definitely wouldn't get as much carving done if you could surf more often...Sorry for being selfish, but your work is inspiring, hopefully I can get close to that someday on my carves...

Mahalo!! AND stay warm and be careful with snow removal, I live in Pittsburgh and hurt my elbow of all thing a few weeks ago, removing snow and ice from the driveway.

Aloha Chris, and thanks for your kinds words! I appreciate all your support!

pwest71, thanks to you also for the kind compliments! I'm a firm believer in the theory that if you have fun doing something it shows in the work. Be it art or a job. Even sports and exercise! 10 years after carving my first tiki, it still continues to be a lot of fun and a learning experience.

No worries of surfing anytime soon! With the blizzard the other day, the ice and snow is piles up 20 feet high and 200 feet out along the shores of Lake Michigan. It is going to be many weeks before things clear up. So I guess that means a lot of tikis in the weeks to come! Glad I could help be an inspiration to you, keep on carving!

Best of luck this weekend in the Superbowl! Of course I'll be pulling for the Green and Gold, but it should be a great game!

K

very nice poles Lake......

Thanks Ken!

C

pwest71, thanks to you also for the kind compliments! I'm a firm believer in the theory that if you have fun doing something it shows in the work. Be it art or a job. Even sports and exercise! 10 years after carving my first tiki, it still continues to be a lot of fun and a learning experience.

I totally agree with that. It definitely shows the fun and good vibe you put in your work, all your pieces have that extra something that make them so special.

those poles are awsome lake.......how much time do you approx. have doing the twins???? i love your finish technique...can always tell your work and style...great stuff

Clarita, much thanks to you for the kind compliment! Wood carving has allowed me to express myself in ways I never dreamed of in art school 23 years ago.

Tiki carving has taught me so much about so many parts of the world that I continue to dream about!

Creative Chimp, many thanks for your compliments!

I figure I have about 30 - 35 hours invested in those guys from start to finish.

I tend to work fast, and pay for it later though through the aches and pains.

Once I get going though, I can't wait to see the finished project, so I power through it!

Cranking away on lot's of new work for this summer.

PNG is a big part of the 10th Anniversary Collection, and here are just a few of the masks I've been creating...

Average height on all is around 12 - 18" tall.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2012-05-06 10:33 ]

Dam! look @ the variety there! well done.
You always inspire me.

M

Very clean OA styles Dave.

I like em.

Mc

K

Great paint work and texture on those carvings, Dave!

Craig, thanks so much! Inspired here by your carving also!
'Bout time you started on a new log! :wink:

Mc, just keeping it traditional! Like something you'd see Trader Vic's circa 1950!
Thanks for the compliment!

Chad, just trying to keep up with your incredible craftsmanship!
Thanks for the compliments!

A bunch of projects going on here at the studio, too numerous to show all of 'em.

I got the itch to carve a log last week for a little break from flatwork.

This piece of Pine was calling to me, so I carved a Kane from it.

32" H x 6" W.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2012-05-06 10:34 ]

That is so excellent - on many different levels!!

Thank you kindly sir! Appreciate the compliment!!!

Totally sweeeet! Like the mouth.

Tikilizard, thanks! The mouth of Kane is one of my favorites also!

I'm looking forward to doing some more of these in different sizes.

L

On 2011-02-22 18:15, Lake Surfer wrote:

Love your PNG style mask Dave.... And your Kane is very well done!

Bravo!

J.

Much thanks my friend!

Keep up the good work on your end! Look forward to your updates!

W

Aloha Dave,

Just wanted you to know I received my items today, they are GREAT! I thought about posting to your marketplace thread but it seems to be corrupted. All your images are gone.

The Ku Twins and TV sign are awesome.

Thanks again!

Chris
WestADad

Aloha Chris!

Good to hear everything arrived safely!

Thanks again for your support, and I hope you enjoy your new tikis!

Gonna head over to the Marketplace and fix the links, thanks for the heads up!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2011-03-06 21:43 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2011-03-06 21:43 ]

C

Nice recent posts Dave. Always some of the coolest stuff, love
your spirit board and masks. I suppose you are getting more snow
too? One of these days it will turn into spring and we can
get outside!

S

Mum Mumm GOOD!

Conga!

Thank you my northern friend!

I don't think Spring is coming to our state any time soon.
We were spoiled last year with the early warmth.
Lot's of snow and cold in our future this year. Maybe we can carve outside by June?

Craig, thanks! How is that lumber shopping going?

H
harro posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2011 8:22 AM

Hey Lake! Time for a bump! whatcha been up to?

Kool stuff as allways Dave,Hope all's well in the world of Laketiki.
Cheers Watango

Aloha Guys and thanks for the bump! Its been a super busy year so far with Hukilau, Ohana, and lot's of commissions. I've been doing a ton of new work for Foundation Tiki Bar this month also. Here's a quick update of how the Spring and Summer have gone...

Here are the Marquesan Poles I carved back in February installed in their new home at Foundation Tiki Bar...

After cranking away on new work all Spring, June arrived and so did Hukilau 2011...

And right after Hukilau was Ohana 2011 in Lake George, NY...

This month has been full of new work for Foundation Tiki Bar as they continue to expand and improve the bar.
A new booth and stage in the back of the bar gave me the opportunity to add some new PNG work.

Here I'm adding some color to a pair of East Sepik PNG rail posts I carved.

To go along with the rail posts was this PNG Spirit Board inspired trim...

With the carving and painting complete, Don and I were able to get everything installed this past week...

There was also some space for a couple new Micronesian inspired storyboards that I carved and painted...

Lot's more going on in the coming weeks with commissions and new work as I get ready for the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale in September.
I'll try and post some more updates as time allows!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2012-05-06 10:33 ]

Beautiful work Lake!
Nice to see an update...could have guessed you were busy with a lot of things.
You really have found your niche and the png stuff always brings a smile.

Lake all your carvings are spot on with traditional stylings but your png stuff is just awesome. I gotta check out the foundation bar one day!!!!
Thanks for the update and cool pictures of your work!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies