Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

M

Beatiful work Dave!

Enjoy the surf while you are in Cali!

Mahalo

McTiki

Andy, thanks a ton for the kind compliment!

I hope there's a bit of a swell running, its been a couple months since I've been on a board.
Need to get the gills wet again.

P

I am im awe of your knowledge & the "correctness" of your pieces.

I watch your thread like a hawk...

pjc5150, many thanks for the compliment!

I never tire of the variety in Oceanic Art, and the stories behind each piece just makes them that much more amazing and mysterious.

Thanks for stopping by!

C

You did and awesome paint job on this little guy!

Thank you Clarita! Good to hear from you!

Good work! you do inspirational stuff and once I get tired of the traditional Hawaiian carves I'll come back here for some ideas ...

Good luck vending at Don's next month. I'm planning on stopping by so will stop and say hello! there should be some nice waves for you on the south side of the pier! But the water is cold this time of year so bring the 8 mm!

Captain Jack,

Thank you sir for the kind words. Much appreciated! I love the traditional Hawaiian also, but it is so easy to get lost in the endless variety of PNG.
Will be good to meet you at Don's, stop by and say hi for sure!
I am planning on bringing the 4/3 with me and hopefully there will be a swell running. I've surfed the pier a few times in my life at all different times of the year.
50 degree water will be so much warmer then the 34 degree water we have here right now.

Big stuff from the last 2 weeks. Carved from 2" thick Poplar.

Ku, PNG Middle Sepik Region Mask and a PNG Female Abelam Figure.

Headed off to the mill for another 10' long by 19" wide slab of Poplar... more big stuff in the coming weeks.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2013-01-13 12:33 ]

W

WOW Dave!! Love that Ku!

More awesome work, this fall I'll be shopping!

Chris

M

Very nice panels. Is poplar soft? Very nice PNG work!

Mahalo

McTiki

Aloha Chris!

Many thanks for the compliment!
The Ku has a mind numbing amount of little carve gouges in him... all adds up to the crisp lines.

Andy... thanks for the kind compliments!
Out of the harder woods, it is pretty soft. I can carve it with a palm gouge and some pressure.
Leaves a nice clean waxy surface after carving. I like it better then PIne almost.
The guys at the mill hate it though... gets dusty and fuzzy.

Scored a 10 foot by 19" Poplar board today for a good price... more big work to come.

Kool stuff

Always great to see your PNG pieces--great carving and wonderful
colors. I can't even express how much I'm impressed with your
expanding "collection" of artifacts. Here's a hearty Wisconsin
toast to you!

What conga just said Dave,awesome stuff!

hang10... thanks a bunch!

conga... many thanks for the kind compliments! Just doing whatever I fancy lately and having fun with it.
Going big with these was a nice change of pace... and I'm looking forward to doing some more.

Watango... thanks much! Keep up the good work on your end!

I cut up the latest purchase from the sawmill and got a couple of new pieces going this week.

This Maori piece is one of them, and overall it measures 46" H x 19.5" W.

Still carving the body, but here are some detail shots of the face...

Kool stuff as always Dave.

N

Excellent work! I love all the new stuff, really diggin the panel stuff...and the painted pieces are just such a nice change...keep it up.

Thanks NIxxon! Just trying to mix it up and keep it fresh.

C

Great carve, perfect texture on it, it adds so much to the overall job, just great!

Thanks Clarita for the kind compliments!

Headed to the International Tiki Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber again in June... I'd better get busy !

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2013-01-13 12:36 ]

Cool. I like the PNG style.

Thanks Atomic Mess, appreciate the compliment!

S

Sweetness Dave, I need to get around to buying a few of those some day.
money always seems to go somewhere. Man those would look good in my shed/cabin

Craig!

Thanks for the kind compliment!
Good to see you carving again!

If these guys go to a new home, I can always make more.
As long as I have hands and arms... I'll be carving! :wink:

Aloha Dave!

Just wanted to post a new photo showing the gorgeous Abelam mask that we received this week! It looks great-my photo does not do it justice! We thought she would look happiest reigning over the rest of the "PNG family." "She who must be obeyed!" Hope you approve of her "rank" on the stairway?

We look forward to adding some more pieces to our collection at Don's International Marketplace in June-get those Rum Barrels ready now!

Mahalo!

The Dexters

Larry, the collection looks awesome up there on the wall.

Thanks for the wonderful support!

Lot's of "Fives" today... 5th month of the year, 5th day of the month and a five foot Marquesan Pole.

Actually 64" tall, but close enough. 9" wide.

Cranked this guy out over the last couple of days. Stain, aging and rope wrap to come in the following days.

Fun to get back at the logs again for a bit!

Looks cool! Looking forward to seeing how you use the ropes ....

Thanks Captain Jack, I appreciate the compliment.

the Maori work is incredible

N

WHOA!! Excellent Marq sir...looks like you have been busy. Next comes the color??

Been a busy year so far...here's a few of the logs I carved this Spring and Summer... a bunch went to new homes a few months ago.

Kool stuff Dave!

K

man you got some really sweet tikis. i like how the chin is on the one on the far right is a breaking wave. very nice

P

Looking great man!

Watango, KeverC, pjc5150... Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments!

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 6:52 PM

Simply brilliant work Dave! Always enjoy seeing your work!

Mahalo

McTiki

M

Thats a ton of work.

You look Cramped!

Did you get into the water while here?

Good stuff!!

McTiki/Andy... Thanks for the very kind compliment... Much appreciated!
Had a lot of fun getting back to some logs this summer.

Derek... Lots of hours invested for sure in these guys. Just a small portion of the 300 + pieces I created from January until now. Is been a very busy summer with events all over the country. Just catching my breath... Had my last show this past weekend at F. I.

Benboo, many mahalos! Hard to get them all in the photo and myself included! Wanted to show the size of them all.

Didn't get a chance to surf... Very busy couple of days... Plus Ocean Beach was like 12 - 15 foot... Just a quick whirl around the Bay Area and then the sale on Sunday. Probably wont make it out to Cal until maybe next March with baby due first week of November.

HT

JusThey're all amazing, really. They're like refined versions of mid-century tikis, and a fine example of incredible skill and patience. Very, very cool.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2012-10-04 03:53 ]

Lucky, thanks a bunch for the very kind compliments... Much appreciated.

Patience indeed, especially with the Pine which can be a bit chippy. Had a bunch of fun with each and every one of these guys though.

Cool stuff Lake! 300 since Jan? that's about one a day no? Dedication!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies