Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

M

Good to hear Lake. Geez with all that time off, your right hand must be stronger now! (JK)

Now bring on the eight footers!!!

Mahalo

McTiki

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 5:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing the result of all this :)

T

On 2007-02-06 11:08, Lake Surfer wrote:
On the other hand (ha! :wink:) ...

Oh Man! You are lucky - lucky to have the other hand too! Watch it man! But that crap just happens, I know. Whew! Close one!

B

Happy to hear from the healing of your hand, Lake surfer. You should have missed carving.

Benjamin.

Lake, Honestly, I am not kidding about this. Our dishwasher is quitting in two weeks... he's leaving us for a F/T job.

So I was thinking, since you are at Tiki Terrace somewhat often ............ ???????????????? :)

Aloha Lake!
Scott

Thanks guys. :)

I've been busy the last couple of days... gonna keep some stuff on the downlow that I'm doing up for Hukilau. I'll let you peep at a few things though. :wink:

Scott, I'd take you up on that dishwasher job if you were a little closer. :wink: Maybe you could just set up a little cot for me in the Kapa Nui Cove? Would be a heck of a commute back and forth over state lines.

Nice work on the upgrades to Tiki Terrace!

Got my Cook Islands piece and it looks awesome! Thanks for the great work.

Falin, you're quite welcome! I'm glad you like it, thank you for your support!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-10-01 21:43 ]

B

Happy that you're back with something beautiful.
Nice work.

Benjamin.

M

Nice "Come-back" peice bro!

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks guys, good to be back!

Gonna crawl back into the workshop and get busy again...

B
Bete posted on Wed, Feb 21, 2007 10:00 AM

Looks so awesome Lake Surfer!

J

Bump How's the hand, recovering from the dishes?

B

Surfer, this guy is Nice! You should do more of theze

Hey Lake, I don't know if I have ever commented on your stuff, but I know we chatted briefly one night at The Foundation. Anyhow I have personally seen your work at the Foundation and can honestly say you rival some of the best carvers out there. I'm going to Hawaii (oahu) next week for my first time and can't wait to hunt down some of the local carvers. Cheers!

Hey there Brad, thanks much. I just dropped off a hulking 5 footer a couple weeks ago to add to Foundation's collection.
There's some fun stuff in there and it is nice to have a local place to showcase my work. Don gives me some good project guidelines too.
He should be returning back from his time on Oahu... hope you have a good time there. Someday, maybe I'll get the opportunity to go back once again.

The last 6 months... here it is...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23499&forum=1&22

Back to work.

M

Whoa! The entry scene is incredibly tropical and TraderVic..esque! Very very well done!

Lake Surfer for the win (FTW)!

You will enjoy this for a long time to come!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Thanks Mc....

Labor of love bruddah, but you know that, you've got one of your own. :wink:

Now that the party and reveal is over... big exhale... I've got work to do!

That must be nice to have your bar a few inches from your work area! work hard, then play within seconds!!!

VERY nice home bar - great vintage feel

Thanks Polynesiac!

A little too tempting... all that rum within mere inches...

Payday, baby.

8T

Have fun with the pine...But I don't envy you with all of those knots!! Good Luck and carve safely

M
McTiki posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 3:27 AM

Gets popcorn.......

F

Dave the bar looks incredible. Are you taking reservations yet? I can't wait to see what you transform those logs into.

8 FT... that's all part of the fun...

Debarked

That big one is a hog... gotta be about 300 +

Mc, get yourself a refill on that popcorn. These are a fresh kill and have to dry a bit, then sanding.

In the meantime I've got carved sheet music stands to do for the Bikini Beachcombers and more inventory for Eyeball Tiki.

Frost, thanks much! Your name is on the list if you're in town. Seat at the bar!
Next up, the backyard.

F

Back yard is on my project list as well, but first I need to get the grass to grow back there, and plant my meyer lemon and lime trees. After that clean out the work shop so I have somewhere to work. Eventually I'll get creative outside of work again. Damn job keeps getting in the way.

Some time in-between jobs to show some stuff from the last few months. Little breaks from getting inventory carved for shows.

I got to see my work in action at Exotica... my friends The Bikini Beachcombers hired me to do signs and tikis for their sheet music stands.

Yesterday I just finished up some more work on my tiki garden...

I carved up some posts and ran bamboo through them for a little railing. Hope to have more fun like this on a bigger scale in the backyard as soon as I get the fence up around it.

Evenings are relaxing with the sound of falling water... not too big, but just enough to give some atmosphere. At dusk the underwater light kicks in, and I've had great success with the pond plants. Maybe time to go bigger....?

J

The railing is the tops! It looks great.

B

Lake, I am SO happy that you are finally relaxing and doing some Sweet work. I mean, you have been carving great for a long time but the tension has been showing through. Now with more self confidence, your stuff is more relaxed and SWEET to the Eyes. Keep it going.

Aloha, Dave.

Seem's like you're in high gear lately and it all looks good. Love the home bar & backyard. Surrounding yourself with all of that tiki goodness must keep you inspired.

I spotted this plate at Moose McGillicuddy's in Lahaina Town and immediately thought of you.

Keep it flowin', my friend!

A-A

Johnny, thanks man. I only hope to have the type of backyard fun that you have had over the years. The big guys are coming to my yard... very soon. Working out the details on some 8 footers for the yard.... Mc Tiki.... refill that popcorn... you're gonna need it.

Thanks Ben. :) Me.... relax? Someday... :wink:

A.A. its been a crazy year so far. Fun, but crazy. Bar and restaurant installs, custom orders... over a hundred carved pieces and its only July.
A couple weeks to unwind and have some fun... then its back to work!

The license plate is sweet! Could have been one of my fellow wave sliders plates, I never really look at their cars... just suit up and hit the water!
Thanks for the good wishes!

On 2007-07-13 14:36, Lake Surfer wrote:
Maybe time to go bigger....?

Love your fenceposts; damn thats another project Im going to have to attempt one day. So you've got a big project in mind? Its about time one of you woodies pulled out something big! :o
I cant wait until the day I can start my own garden transformation thread & get to work on some bigger stuff - and keep it. It must be very satisfying.

Tama :)

Thanks Tama... the yard so far has been a bunch of work, a bunch of money and a bunch of fun. A bunch more money and work and fun to come before the snow flies!

So...

down to business!

Took a 4 hour crack at this 8 foot bugger today. My absolute favorite big wood to carve. Yellow pine. Love it.

Carved everything with a 12 oz soft head mallet, 1 inch and quarter inch bench chisels and a couple large sweep gouges.

Tomorrow is a rough sand on the face and then get to work on the body. Looks like surf on Thursday so he'll rest 'til Friday.

He's gonna look sweet in the backyard. I plan on doing some plantings around him and putting a light to shine up at him at night.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-07-17 22:31 ]

P

I dig the fence posts too...they remind me of a spooky tikified version of those shrieking steam whistles you see in old cartoons. Very unique!
The new guy is looking pretty powerful already, even just as he is. That seems like a pretty well-spent 4 hours to me. Keep it coming....

Nice! I have log envy.

B

Very nice.

M

Nice stuff. Lovin the posts! I wish we had logs like that here.

Need pics of the waves. How cold is the water?

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Cool Stuff Lake, and I'm with BK on log Envy!

Looks great. Is he full bodied or more of a totem?

Wow Dave, I haven't checked this thread in a while. Your house is looking amazing! Your carvings are so identifiable as yours and yet still look traditional. Great work. I'll be living not too far from you soon. I'd love to see it all in person!

awesome, lake!! hmmmm...is this the one you said you would carve for me after this summers events were winding down?? you're still on the hook to me for a large carving...hahah!!

Paipo, thanks much! They do look like steam whistles now that you say that.

BK and benella... thanks!

McTiki... mahalo! I'll try and snap a couple pics before I paddle out. Cold front still hasn't gone through. Hope we don't get skunked.
Water temps are between 55- 64 depending on upwelling tomorrow. I figure on a 4/3 without boots or gloves... though you never know with this lake.

Thanks Ben, sometimes the logs find me, sometime I gotta hunt. But now my friends know what I'm looking for, so they call me right away.

A.S., mahalo! This one will be a full body in the round tiki with a little stand. I'll do an "ALOHA" relief carve on the base like the one in my bar.

Thanks Finkdaddy! Have a safe trip back, and you're welcome to come by and see it all.

Tipsy, this guy is staying home. :wink: I gotta keep a few of these for the day when I can't do it anymore. I'm on the hunt for another log that can make it's home in the Bamboo Bunker. Just think of how more refined my stuff will be by the time you get yours. :wink:

Thanks again everyone... time for an update....

This afternoon I started swinging the 18 oz mallet and working on the body. After an hour the bicep was having no more of that. Time for a rest.
So I started in on the rough sand....

Some more low impact work... detail work on the teeth...

Gonna take a few days off and rest the arm up... and see about that surf on Thursday. :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-07-18 21:56 ]

F

Dave that big guy is coming along nicely, I hopeyou don't ming but I may have to steal the fence prost idea for my back yard. We are finally getting around to landscaping it, and talking about building a deck in the fall (way to hot, and too much hurricane risk until then) posts like that would make great rails.

I gotta keep a few of these for the day when I can't do it anymore.

2007-07-18 21:56 ]

why, do you plan on developing arthritis in the next couple weeks??....you're a young guy with plenty of carving days ahead of you!!....LOL

More yummy yellow pine to carve up...

We're in the dog days of summer... 90 degrees here today with a 70 degree dewpoint. My favorite carving weather. I get a gallon jug of water and put it in the freezer overnight. Set it out in the sun while you carve and you've got ice cold water all afternoon.

Sanded this thick 4 footer up and started on the mouth.

92 degrees tomorrow. The water jug is in the freezer. Hope to have the teeth and eyes knocked out by tomorrow afternoon.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-08-01 21:18 ]

C

Dave...both of your big logs are turning out great. Gotta get my hands on some of
that pine...looks like a lot of fun to dig through. Very inspiring work!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies