Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

S

Nice Lake those are look incredible!

Seen some pic's of the lake tons of ice built up
very cool looking.

K

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!

H

HOT-HOT-HOT!

Seek, Kahaka, and Howland... many thanks for your oooohs and ahhhs! Must mean I'm doing something right! :wink:

Seek, things are starting to thaw. Its been in the 40's the last few days. Still a lot of ice out there though. We had some large chunks break off the shore and float out in the lake. they were captured by satellite the other day.

Warm enough outside to try and cut a 6 foot log down the middle... Foundation Tiki Bar needs 2 half poles for their entrance.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 11:17 AM

That is a great looking canoe Lake. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

K

great stuff Lake as always and an abundance of it. What kind of speed enhancing pills you on :) Also are the pills hallucinogenic and make you think the sun is shining and it is 80 degrees out? I need some!!!

Kahu, thanks... hopefully done this weekend!

Ken, thanks much! I think I drink too much Mountain Dew. Must be why I can't get to sleep at night.
Funny you ask about the sun being out... it is! Its not 80 degrees, but it is 53 and damn if that doesn't feel like summer! First time its been this warm since November I think.

I missed the sound and smell of the chainsaw so I fired that up in the backyard today to let the neighbors know I'm still here. Since the weather is nice I thought I'd get cooking on the half poles for Foundation Tiki Bar. I was going to pay a mill to do this but figured I'd take a crack at it.

Turned out pretty damn good! Some sanding with the angle grinder and we're good to go.

Off to carve these suckers!

Carvers everywhere! Even my back yard!

So as I have with most of the threads on this forum, I dove in headfirst and checked out the whole thing.

Your newer stuff is killer man. I'm new to this whole tiki world, but have always had a draw to it for somewhere. I also want to surf really bad, but I just stick with the "snow surfing" that is so much easier to do this time of year. :)

Next time I'm in Kenosha (i'm up there every couple weeks) I'll try to check out Rendezous and see the piece you did for them. I'll also have to make my way up to the tiki bar in Milwaukee sometime.

Can't wait to see new stuff from you, and hopefully I'll make it out to a show to maybe pick up a cool little tiki dude.

Flat Black, thanks for the props!

Support your local tiki bars, we need to keep them around!

Aloha Lake!!! WOW, A guy blinks an your off making some more nice art! I cant wait to see your canoe project! Aloha, Mooney

Thanks Mooney! I try and keep busy up here. Winter makes you climb the walls unless you have something to do. :wink:

And thanks to a break in the winter weather I was able to get a jump start on the new door poles for Foundation Tiki Bar here in Milwaukee. A couple of days in the 50's for outside work, then we fell back to the 30's, and I continued in the studio. Carving on Friday and Sunday and today I got 'em all stained up and rope detailed.

I deliver them on Wednesday, and if the weather cooperates we may install them also. I hope to get some better pictures of them in the sunlight, looking a bit gloomy today.

85" H x 10" W

Back to some more flatwork for the rest of the week...

J

The weather is finally starting to break. Those poles are great with the combination of deep carved faces and all the detail tat work.

B

These guys are looking Excellent Lake, Super detail setting them a cut above the rest. Gotta get them warmed up though, they look Too Cold out there in the snow.

Johnny, the rollercoaster of March continues. A short break but I see snow in the forecast for this Friday. Hope things are thawing by you. Thanks for the compliment on the poles, I enjoy making them. Poles always have an impressive look to them.

Benz, thanks so much! Detail is the name of the game, I want them to stop people in their tracks as they approach the entrance of the bar. They are cold, but will have to get used to it. They'll be spending the rest of their lives outdoors through the ups and downs of Midwestern weather.

S

Sweet Beans Lake! I LOVE your poles, man they look incredible!

The ice sheet pic was cool.

Seek, thanks man! I can't wait to install them on Wednesday and see what they look like in their new home.

Yellow Bottle!

Not Blue!

And your wood always looks nice! :wink:

B

WOW, amazing poles.

Benjamin.

Aloha Lake!!!

Man Lake what coming out of your next bag of carving tricks. Very cool carve you have there and hang in there winter is almost over and spring surf is a comin.Stay loose and let it all flow , sweet detail in all of your stuff that you have been sharin, Aloha, Mooney PS MY family and I R coming up to michigan this summer for 3 weeks, Aloha your friend, Mooney

On 2008-03-17 17:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
Johnny, the rollercoaster of March continues.

..and one hell of a rollercoaster. This weather has been so weird. They aren't predicting a day in the 50's in the 10 day forcast.. and maybe more snow showers. :(

Benboo, mahalo!
I have some blue that my grandfather gave me... I'm using them up, then its back to yellow!

Benjamin, thanks! What amazes me is I got them done so quick.

Mooney, I never know. I keep jumping around from project to project. I didn't expect to get these done until April. I just had a break in the weather and a stopping point on some other projects. I took a little break from the canoes to rethink some stuff. I hope Spring is coming soon... many breaks in Michigan have ice until next month. Its been a long hard winter. Let me know when you're coming up if you are heading to the shores of Lake Michigan... you may get some waves.

Flat Black, depressing isn't it. They say we're in for a hot summer though.

S

Cant get enough of that pole!

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2008 8:09 PM

Wow gotta say, those poles rock!

Flat Black, depressing isn't it. They say we're in for a hot summer though.

Hopefully they will be wrong on that and it'll be 75 everyday. :)

Seek, thanks man! 2 more hours until delivery and hopefully we will get them up today.

Kahu, thanks much! Poles are always an impressive sight at the front of any tiki bar.

Flat Black, wouldn't it be nice... 6 inches of snow forecast for this Friday though. First full day of Spring, wouldn't you know it.

Well, after the poles and a couple other things I was able to get some time to figure out what I wanted to do with these spears and paddles.
This morning I wrapped up the work on the canoes. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. A new direction that was a lot of fun. Looking forward to making more of these, I think I'd like to do a Maori one soon.

Those are spectacular, Lake.. Somebody is gonna be damn proud showin' them off in their Lounge.

Freddie,

Thanks much bruddah! All the planning and executing are savored now by the final product. :drink:

Marq poles went up at Foundation on Wednesday.

Gotta hunker down the next few days... late season Winter Storm on it's way. First day of Spring.... yea right! :roll:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-03-20 00:47 ]

S

Them Bad Boys look fantastic! Very cool looking entry way.
How did you attach them?

Phenomenal.

Seek and surfin... many thanks guys! They look really cool in their new home. Don and I talked about having some lights installed above them to illuminate them at night.
That would be sweet.

Seek, I'll have to check tomorrow when I go pick up my check. I delivered them and we set them up in front, but Don and Charles were going to take care of them after I left. So, I fibbed a little, but they were installed after I dropped them off.

I have a few new pieces up for sale for a limited time... check 'em out if you'd like at

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27735&forum=12&start=last&0

Those look great, Lake... Lookin' forward to makin the trek down south to see this bar. I dug the work you did for the Rendezvous... When r those war canoes goin' on sale?? R those for the Hukilau?

B

Excellent canoes lake, Lookin Good. Lotsa greaZt stuff comin outta your work shop!

Always great, and I'm nuts about the "layout" of the canoe pics.
Lakesurfer post cards.

Lake Surfer, Those canoes are very nice carvings. I have been a pacific art fan for many years and those fit the bill!

Tom

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2008 10:26 AM

You're hired!!! Nice stuff. Love the poles and the canoes.

Canoes turned out awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Hey Lake, did you get any more snow?
Keep the faith, spring has to be coming, right?

Freddie... thanks bruddah! These canoes are going to Hukilau, but I have lumber for more. I need to make myself one and I am taking orders for them. If I get extra time I may make two more to bring to Hukilau also.

Benz, mahalos! Good to see you are up and carving again!

Conga... many thanks! Sometimes the graphic designer takes over and I get a little artsy with the photos.

Spring?? Yea right. It has been snowing for 18 hours as I type this. We have over 15 inches of snow on the ground and it is still coming down. We're probably looking at a 24 hour snowfall before it is over. Thursday, you could actually see grass. Not any more.
This was mid morning with 6 on the ground...

Maybe it will warm up by June?

Tom, thanks man! I have had the canoes on my to-do list for a while, finally got around to them and I'm glad I did.

Grog, thanks! I'll start Monday!

Flat Black, much thanks! Hope you were spared much of the snow on Friday. We got walloped.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-03-21 22:21 ]

110 percent, brah!

Flat Black, much thanks! Hope you were spared much of the snow on Friday. We got walloped.

We didn't get that hard. There is about 4-5 inches on the ground around my neighborhood.

We are looking like almost 50 and rainy tomorrow, so that should take care of it.. and make everything muddy. Blah!

snow shmow...didja get any surf?!?! :lol:
For once, someone ELSE is getting slammed by cold and nasty weather!

surfintiki... funny you ask about surf. I just finished packing up my gear for Tuesday's surf!

I'm headed to one of my favorite spots North of me where the red dot is. Tomorrow's 40 knot winds out of the South will put me in line for 10-13 foot open water swells which will translate into waist to chest near shore sliders. The wind is supposed to go straight west in the afternoon... offshore.

So, wave carving on Tuesday instead of tiki carving... air temp is supposed to get up to 50 degrees... water, that's still around 33 - 35 degrees. First surfing of this year since the ice finally left us a week ago.

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2008 6:12 AM

nice canoes Lake!!

good luck with the ice swell. I just got back from some nice beachbreaks in Uruguay over easter - first waves for me in over a year. borrowed a longboard and had to take it on 3 buses, a boat and a train for over 12 hours but hey when you need a fix you make the effort huh!

harro, thanks much!

Sounds like a lot of work to get some surf. I'd much rather don a 6/4 with a hood, 5 mil gloves and 7 mil boots and jump in 35 degree water to get my fix. :wink:

Tuesday was a lot of fun. Sun all day and air temps around 50 made it pretty comfortable. Winds went hard offshore as the day went on, but we surfed "The Cove" waist to chest until that died out, then headed to "The Elbow" which is more exposed, for some chest plus drops.

Here's some shots from Seth, one of the local surfers there...

:up:The Cove

:up:The Elbow

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-03-26 09:59 ]

Woooo! Go Lake! The waves are head high and offshore here right now...and I'm at work! Crap.

T

no wonder why I wouldn't have believed you could really surf the lakes, I live in the blue

teaKEY,

If you're anywhere near Sarnia, Ontario there are guys that surf there. Huron isn't surfed as much as Superior, Michigan, Erie and Ontario, but when there are North winds it gets waves.
There are some guys near Lake St. Clair/Harsens Island that used to surf ship wakes on the shoals of the river in the 60's and 70's.

Those shots really make me want to try out surfing even more.

I'll have to wait until weather where I can get away with not having to fully suit up... so what, about 2 weeks out of the year? :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies