Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

The Tiki Temple Collection sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure
where you are heading with this, but I thought of doing relief carvings
of the well known meccas. I scrapped the idea cuz I didn't think I'm
good enough. You are!

AT ONLY 36" WIDE..
HOW ARE WE GONNA FIT INSIDE?
:lol:
great concept Lake!
Can't wait to see these ones unfold!

Conga and Ken!

Many mahalos for the good wishes!

They will be original creations based on architecture of the past.

They will hang on your wall and they will be just about 3 dimensional. All hand built. All hand painted. And with a ton more detail than the simple outline drawing shows.

Think tiki railposts. Tiki gods. Carved doors. Thatched roofs.

I currently have 6 models planned out.

Ok, I've said too much! :)

Way to go Lake...somethin new and cool!
What were you sayin' 'bout surfin'? http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/travel/escapes/16superior.html

S

Funny surfin i just ran into that article just a hour ago and
i was thinking about Lake also.

Thanks surfin... just taking a break from the new project right now to check email.

Yep, the word is out is guess.

Here's another one... http://surf.transworld.net/2008/12/23/feeling-minnesota-2/

Superior is pretty much the only lake you can surf right now... everyone else is iced in.

Those guys on Superior are even more core than we are down here.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-01-16 18:33 ]

the shrinkage! jeez, you guys surf in that weather? man do you have my respect! i won't go in past my knees when the water hits 65 down here, my boys hate the cold.

bd

Most excellent work my friend, as always!

M

On 2009-01-13 20:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
I've have managed to eek out some pieces over the last month in addition to a handful of custom orders I created. Two of my works found their way to the UK and Berlin, Germany. Thanks again to Steve and Markus!

...now looky look what the mailman just brought...

Really sweet, even my wife likes it :)

And ooohhh yes...Tiki Temples is great! drool

Cheers,
Markus

big daddy, no shrinkage is you were the proper gear! 6/5/4 wettie with attached hood, 5 mil gloves, 7 mil boots.
Wetsuit technology is off the hook. Check out the Rip Curl F-Bomb.

I'm good friends with many of the guys in the Superior article.

Funny thing about the Great Lakes Surfing scene... so many of us are friends even if we are on a different lake. We see each other at events during the year and travel around looking for surf. We've got a few online forums to keep in touch also.

Danny, my bruddah, big congrats on landing Vic's!!! Your work will fit in perfect in a classic tiki establishment like Vic's!
Thanks for da props on my latest work... I look forward to seeing you at some events this summer!

Markus! Thanks for posting the picture! So glad that the Marquesan arrived safely in Berlin!
I hadn't heard from you yet and last night I was getting worried that he made the long trip!

Many thanks again for your support of my work!

Started work on one of the Tiki Temples today!

Stoked!

These are going to turn out killer and will look great hanging on the wall of anyone's tiki hideaway!

B

Lake, You are Teasing us with Words and descriptions, c'mon and S-t-r-e-t-c-hhhh i little bit and toss us a teaser shot or two of your new stuff. You Know you want us to see'um so we might as well see'um from you rather than the National enquirer or those brats... :P :P :lol:

You are only making 6? Can I call bids on one right now? Seriously! Even though we aren't buying our house for about another year, I have a huge feeling I don't want to pass one of these up. I'm already kicking myself for passing up a couple others.

Benz... I think I can do a few teaser shots, as soon as some things come together. Its all bits and pieces right now as I cut and put together beams and awnings and carved doors.

Tiki Kupcake, The plan is for 6 right now until I get the ins and outs figured of building these things. This first one is pretty labor intensive as I am cutting each individual piece from wood. Carved beams, thatch awnings, shingled a-frames, carved posts, real rope railings... the whole 9 yards. They will be beautiful little models of tiki bars.

I will update with info and prices when they get close to finish... I will have a better handle on things after the first on is done.
Thanks so much for your interest and enthusiasm!

Just finished up some more new work for the 2009 South Pacific Secrets Collection this weekend.

We had some sun today which allowed me to get some photos for you all.

First up, "Mask of Pepane"

8" x 8"

Second is the beautifully ornate "Lanikea Lono"

25" H x 11" W

This one has some great depth to it, and a nice textured surface, as do all of the South Pacific Secrets Collection this year.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-01-19 13:33 ]

Here's a shot in subdued light of the relief work on the Lanikea Lono.

More to come, as there is a stack of unfinished work in the studio!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-01-19 13:33 ]

T

They're all looking great! By the way, you take some good photos. :)

Can't wait to see the tiki temples...

Big T, I appreciate your kind compliments!

Even though I've removed myself from the corporate world of graphic design and photography, I still demand high standards from myself. :wink:

Doing some architectural feature work tonight on one of the "temples."

Faux stone walls.

B

Hey Lake,

Beautiful new carves to begin nicely 2009.
Can't wait to see those temples.

Benjamin.

S

Nice lake I have been seeing the sun around also.

Those will look great in any combinations in a bar or themed setting.

Benjamin, many thanks for your compliments once again! Nothing better than some fresh new designs to kick of the New Year!

I too am looking forward to the Tiki Temples! :wink: I keep plugging along on them...

Seeks, thanks much my wave riding brother! Sun is good for everyone, raises the spirits even though the temps are cold.

Off to the local hill tomorrow for some snowboarding since the water is iced in! I'm jonesing for some turns, and the snow will have to do for now!

Finally making some headway on these Tiki Temples!

Seems like I've been working on them forever and have nothing to show for them.

25 hours plus of research and preparation work before I even get to carving on them!

Most elements of construction are drawn out... beams, roofs, stonework, trim.

Friday I start carving.

The foundation of it all is cut out and ready to go, but all elements have to be created and finished before everything will be assembled.

Maybe in a few days I can get some pictures of the carved work.

More soon... :)

Finally gaining some headway on a couple of the Tiki Temples I'm working on.

I feel like a one-man miniature Oceanic Arts.

Some beams are finished up and the doors are ready to go.

I've started hand painting some of the rock facade.

A few more beams to create, then the miniature construction crew gets to work and cuts everything to size for roofs and awnings.

There are a couple of miniature tiki carvers working on some poles and tikis for the front of the tiki bars also.

:lol:

Here's some shots of the "raw" materials.

I've got to get on these guys... they're already complaining about having to work this weekend.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-04 23:53 ]

TEASE!

B

This raw stuff looks nicely neat, "non-raw" stuff :)

Benjamin.

Good suff Lake!

Keeping an eye out on this !

p.s. if you need any extra workers,

I can send my (invisible) crew out there. :wink:

Tiki Kupcake... all in due time. :wink:

Benjamin, thanks much! Its all in the details!

Benboo... mahalo! Thanks for checking in.

Once the buildings are up I'm going to need the insides pimped out.

I think your crew will be just the old school flavor I'm looking for.

I'll have my people get in touch with your people. :wink:

I had the crew working late last night to get materials ready for the rock facades that are going on some of the buildings...

Here's the fruits of their labor.

1/8" thick basswood

Alright... back to work!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-04 23:54 ]

C

Talking about cool stuff!! there's ton of them on this thread, oh boy! Very nice stuff all around, the mini carvers a making a great job too! :)! Aloha!

..i hope you have one of the chef shangri-la...that's an easy one to hammer out..

.maybe i'll start making miniature light up sign replicas like my larger ones to market along with your buildings.:)...we'll set up tables next to each other at oasis....they can buy the building from you then buy the sign from me!

S

Yes, I sense the vibe. I foresee positive vibrations of Oceanic art
mustering all about. COOL Lake!

I demand another update!!!!!!

K

I havent been this exited to see and update since, well, ever...

Clarita, thanks so much for the compliments! I have problems keeping all the different things I'm working on straight. :wink:

Tipsy, those are going to have to be pretty small signs! I'm already stressed over the detail that is going into such a small area.

Seeks, thanks for stopping by! Keep my stoke level up there!

Sloooow progress, but now that many of the bits and pieces are done I hope things go a little easier.

Spent the last couple of days figuring out the engineering marvel that is the A-Frame roof.

Barely anything is attached still, besides the doors, which yes, will have door handles in due time.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-11 11:55 ]

BD

looks beautiful lake. once again this crappy monitor doesn't let me see details very well but from what i can see it looks outstanding can't wait for a) more photos and b) new monitor. guess it's nice to have an indoor hobby when it's -5 up there. was 78 here yesterday - shorts and bare feet, 38 this morning so shorts and a jacket.
bd

T

the pole is just beautiful, what talent! I am getting ready to carve my first, you have given me insperation! scott aka tikibad

big daddy, thanks much! No worries on the monitor, its a tiny picture. And I'm being a bit secretive on these, as you can probably tell. :wink:

78 would feel like heaven right now. Hell, just seeing green grass would be nice! Serious cabin fever going on up here this winter.

tikibad, thanks so much, glad to have given you some inspiration. Good luck with your carving!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-01-28 12:55 ]

Wow, Dave- what a start! Looks SOOOO cool, even at this stage. Those doors look happily familiar!

Good luck with the cabin fever.
Keep Milwaukee famous!
Cheers, pallie~

Andy
http://www.myspace.com/tikijoesocean

Andy!

Many thanks, I appreciate the compliments!

Yes, the small one has the same Marquesan doors as your tiki bar ornament.

Now you know where the inspiration came from. :wink:

I plan on making different carved doors for each of the Tiki Temples so they are all unique.

A-frame beams are cut and tonight I start assembling the roofs.

Then they get thatched! :o

S

Nice Dave from what i seen you are really bringing out the
retro classic 50's 60'ish looking style there.

Grom out.

Will you be doing any with Hawaiiana??

Where the hell where you in the 80's!!!

These coulda saved the tiki world!

Good stuff Lake.

Keeping my eye out on you :)

Seeks, that's what its all about... back to the roots.

Sometimes to see where you're going, you have to look back once in a while.

Benboo, chock full of Hawaiiana! :wink: Wouldn't have it any other way.

Back in the 80's... I was too busy going to punk shows, bleaching my hair and wrecking my knees on a skateboard. :)

Thanks for the props, much appreciated!

Getting closer to shifting into the next gear here... the crew worked all day and got the a-frames together.

Some cross beams go on, then the thatching begins!

I've got a crane rented for Monday morning to get these things installed, the crew wouldn't work on Sunday, something about a football game...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-04 23:55 ]

K

oh man this is exiting.. I diddnt know the dosers from fragel rock made tiki temples also..
P.S This is your 1000th reply do I win sumthin..nice going

[ Edited by: kirby 2009-01-28 23:31 ]

H
harro posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2009 2:01 PM

great project Lake, look forward to the end result.

L

Wow great project. Have always liked your work and I love that you are doing something so original. Can't wait for more pics.

Thanks so much again everyone!

I can see some light at the end of the tunnel... things are progressing nicely!

Finished the entrance tonight... all things that need to be done before the a-frame goes up for good.

Keep in mind what you're looking at is about 3 1/2 inches high. :)

Thatch awnings on each side of the entrance go up Friday!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-02-17 15:11 ]

I want one! I want one!

albino tiki made some of my work look good on this bar that she refurbished with bamboo, tapa and matting.

Looks really nice!

Here's some pics if you didn't see them over on the "Other Crafts" forum.

Thanks albino tiki! :)

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-01-29 23:44 ]

BD

damn lake,

i need to step it up 4 gears just to get to where you begin. stuff is awesome. think you got it backwards, your work made the bar look great.

bd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies