Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Font and Pics

Pages: 1 20 replies

Aloha Zombies and Zombettes,
Nice to see the new venue. At the old pad I recall a very long while ago, some young Tikette posted a link which had cool Tiki fonts and Web resources for homepages. Question? Like could someone hit me for a link to this swinging thing? :D

Tiki Rocker

Seems like nobody recalls this bit of gear. Ok then how about this. Are there any antipodean Tiki's out there in my locale? I am in Sydney OZ, just curious.

Tiki Rocker

Fonts? well, there is always Matisse ITC, which I believe is installed by Windows, but I don't really remember. I like the fonts at http://www.blambot.com. They have great comicbook fonts and their free Pythia font has a certain Tiki quality to it. They guy who runs it does custom fonts, so for a fee I'm sure he could make some killer Tiki fonts. Other than that I dunno. http://007fonts.com has a bunch of free fonts, but I don't think any of them have much of a Tiki spirit... Let us know if you find anything.

D
T

I like the fonts at http://www.blambot.com. They have great comicbook fonts and their free Pythia font has a certain Tiki quality to it. They guy who runs it does custom fonts, so for a fee I'm sure he could make some killer Tiki fonts.

Thanks for the blambot site, very cool comicbook fonts. I grabbed a few of them!

TM

G'day,Aloha & Talofa Lava!
Thank goodness for the Internet!
Here in Sydney it's a bit of a Tiki Desert!
I remember as little kid on family holidays to Surfers Paradise in the Sixties & visiting a place called "Tiki Village". I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen - giant Tikis lurking amid lush tropical foliage,a large freeform pool,BBQ's & Tiki torches! As years passed it was just like a kind of hazy dream - & hardly anyone I know remembers the Tiki 'fad' unless you point out "Gilligans Island" etc. Then I discovered Sven Kirsten's "The Book of Tiki"
in a Sydney bookshop last year! I've wished for someone to put together such a gem for years. Then I found a book "Tiki Drinks"-illustrated by an artist I'd never heard of - Shag.Then just last month I saw my first Shag exhibition "Hedonist Confidential" at the Sydney Opera House, & later I was able to meet Shag himself at a book-signing!
Being an artist,I've even carved a couple of Tikis as there's no 'Oceanic Arts' in this corner of the South Pacific.
Eventually I'll set up my Website where they'll be on view.
I'm also looking out for 'Tiki fonts' that's how I saw your posting.

Aloha Tiki Motu,
All you said and more, ditto. Mail me at [email protected] ... I am a Tiki Sydney sider also but was concieved at the Gold Coast and have brown faded sunshine dreams of the Coast in the old days. Infact my mother was a meter maid!

We may have plenty to discuss.

Syd,

V

G'day, you Oz Tiki fans, I'm from Melbourne myself but currently living in Noumea NC.
Just wondering if you guys think there is/or know of, a real tiki subculture in Oz.
Would it be a cultural spin off from the states?

C ya

Aloha!
Listen I really feel that Australia had obviously some influences from the U.S Tiki scene but few realise how HEART of TIKI Australia really is and was. For a start off we are right at the edge of all the Pacific and Polynesian Islands. There is a hell of allot of Tiki in OZ still but you have to be Tiki Aware to get at it. The architecture is still about in drips and drabs etc. If you want to discuss this in more detail or just stay in touch my e-mail hangs above. I am trying to get a crew of Aussie Tiki contacts for possible future events, web sites, music, culture everything, so if anyone is interested stay in touch or get in touch! :D

Syd

Hi from another crazy Sydney tiki fan. I'm an artist and have been painting using Easter Island Moai images in my work for a while. Something made me pick up the Book of Tiki in the bookstore, and I discovered that what I was painting were tiki, and there was a whole culture out there. My reaction was 'WOW, what have I been missing out on!'
We definitely need the local group of tikiphiles, and more tikis here on our Pacific island.

Tiki Mistress,
Great to have a mistress among us. Look we all seem to be doing similar things. I have been carving some Tiki's and painting, not to mention making some Moai sculpture among other things. I have a website in the making which caters to allot of Tiki stuff but also Kustom Kulture. I got hold of the Book of Tiki about two years ago now and it has been a bible! I am thinking of a get together of a group of Sydney Tikiphiles at some stage so send me your e-mail addy's if you are interested in drinking some cocktails some time and watching the lava flow! :D

I was trying last year to start a Tiki Bar as a business venture. It fell through due to extenuating circumstances but the future is a golden palm of mystery yet to be revealed! Who knows...

[email protected]

hello to all you Australian tikiphiles... now I'm really only passing on rumour here but I understand that Josh Collins, tiki artist extraordinaire, moved to Australia recently to work on a TIKI THEME PARK!!! Lucky you -- but where in your rather large country it might be, or when it might be happening (or, indeed, if it was all a Mai-Tai inspired hallucination), I have no idea. You might find out more if you email him at [email protected]. Good luck!

It's true, Josh, who built the "South London Pacific" Tikis, got tired of not having any palmwood to carve in London, and since his wife is an Aussie he emigrated to Canberra to maybe open a Tiki miniature golf park.
They came by my Silverlake Tiki Island on the way and I gave them tips about the Marquesas, another stop over for them, where he met a bunch of carvers. I just got a box of Tahitian Tiki chocolates from them.

Poor Josh wont find much palm wood in Canberra. Its a cold and miserable place.(Canberra is also where Aussies keep their politicians......erk!)

I heard that Canberra is actually cool because it is kinda behind the times, undeveloped, with original un-renovated midcentury architecture and funky junky places, and not yuppyfied like Sidney...

Big Bro,
It's not true, driving into Canberra is like driving into a Bauhaus architects wet dream. Here we have a city that was made for a population that doesn't exist and the population that does exist, needs instant personality transplants. The place is sterile, cold, empty, bereft of any charm or warmth. All the things you pre-suppose about Canberra actually exist in Sydney not Canberra, as Sydney is actually a collection of funky warm communities and isn't the big sprawling city outsiders seem to think it is. You have to live here for some time to understand the rythmn of the place. Unlike Canberra which has absolutely not rythmn and barely a pulse!

Syd

[ Edited by: Tiki Rocker on 2002-06-11 09:47 ]

H
harro posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 8:57 PM

bump for Hewey and other aussies' reading pleasure.

found this thread from an unrelated google search!

I'm a Canberra Tiki carver... There isn't much tiki here - but I'm trying to live the dream none the less :wink:

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 12, 2010 5:25 AM

Thanks for the bump Harro, even if I never saw it! :lol:

On 2010-08-10 05:25, AUS_2905_Tiki_Guy wrote:
I'm a Canberra Tiki carver... There isn't much tiki here - but I'm trying to live the dream none the less :wink:

Hey mate, Im from Sydney and usually make it down each Australia Day long weekend for the Canberra Rod and Kustom Kruise (CRAKK). I've also got a mate who lives in Canberra whos into tikis, longboarding and old cars :D

You should post some pics of your work over in the creating tiki section!

S

I'd love to know how many aussies are actually on this site and also wonder what happened to the guy who started this thread. And AUS_2905_Tiki_Guy, I see you're new to the site. You might find this thread of interest. It's not based in Canberra but at least it's Australian.

H
harro posted on Fri, Aug 20, 2010 6:56 AM

On 2010-08-12 06:03, swizzle wrote:
I'd love to know how many aussies are actually on this site and also wonder what happened to the guy who started this thread. And AUS_2905_Tiki_Guy, I see you're new to the site. You might find this thread of interest. It's not based in Canberra but at least it's Australian.

Often wondered this myself Swizzle. I know hewey once threw around the idea of an Oz tiki email list or something. Unfortunately trying to track down people on TC is next to impossible as, like me, many Oz TC’ers only occasionally check in if and when they can – some never again. I’m guessing these days the best way to notify everyone about news/events/etc is to make a group on facebook. I’d be up to assist in setting it up.

by the way the Careless Nav site is good - is that yours?

Pages: 1 20 replies