Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

I will offer up one great example, though. The Tonga Room here in San Francisco seriously rivals the Mai Kai in the looks department. It's stunningly gorgeous. Palapa huts, 15' tikis, a lagoon in the middle complete with rainstorms, a lava-rock backed bar -- it has to be seen to be believed.

But it sucks ass. Seriously, we have a terrible time there. The food is terrible, the drinks are terrible,

Sounds like Hale Kahiki to me. Place looks fab, out of this world top notch tiki bar, but as JT himself would say, "get drinks at the Chef", then head over to Hale to check it out. Parking there sucks, long waits, no food and drinks there I swear are virgins. 4 mai tais and 1 zombie later and no buzz... hmmm somthings wrong. So just because the Bistro doesnt have massive tiki looks YET, doesn't mean squat.

The Tropical Bistro is having an Easter Luau Buffett on April 16th if anyone is interested. Over 40 different menu items including a roast pig for only $11.95. Definitely a good deal!! Live Hawaiian music too!!

In other news, I talked to the owners the other day and they definitely want more Tiki!!! Theang said that the two golden lions have to go because they look qoute " too Chinese." Tikiskip and I even talked about changing some of the lighting inside as well and those cartoony things leftover from Mark Pi's. This is all very good news. I have put him in touch with a local carver so we will see what happens.

Come on out and celebrate Easter Hawaiian style!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

alright jeff!

it's nice to see someone actually going out and making positive changes instead of sitting in an ivory tower and griping :wink:

T

Hey jeff, lunch was great. And free! You can't beat that. They started to get a nice crowd when we left. It would be great to see some of chisels work in there. Your tiki pad is way cool too! Thanks for showing me your huge collection.

On 2006-04-07 05:58, Johnny Dollar wrote:
alright jeff!

it's nice to see someone actually going out and making positive changes instead of sitting in an ivory tower and griping :wink:

....it's a bamboo tower goddamnit!!! LOL ... and when you've been in the trenches as long as I, a certain amount of griping is to be expected ....I only bitch because I care....

and further more, how dare you condemn me without having the slightest clue as to what i have contributed to tiki over the years,..... cheerleader!!!

zeus 2: electric boogaloo

Hey Tipsy,

If you want to bitch because you care, please do it somewhere else. I am sure you have made hororable contributions to the tiki community but this is not the place to blow off steam. We are making positive strides over here to bring back at least a small piece of the Kahiki and that's what we are going to do. They definitely have a good start and they also have a lot of positive support.

Thanks,
Jeff

!!!hooray jeff!!!

[rustles pom-poms, does a cartwheel] :)

sorry, i couldn't resist, LOL

T

"It's nice to be nice to the nice" Quote, Frank burns/ Mash.:)

On 2006-04-07 10:18, Jeff Central wrote:
Hey Tipsy,

If you want to bitch because you care, please do it somewhere else. I am sure you have made hororable contributions to the tiki community but this is not the place to blow off steam. We are making positive strides over here to bring back at least a small piece of the Kahiki and that's what we are going to do. They definitely have a good start and they also have a lot of positive support.

Thanks,
Jeff

.....awright... point taken. sigh......maybe there's another thread I can harp on.....damn, and I was having fun too.....oh well....

T

On 2006-04-07 05:31, Jeff Central wrote:
Come on out and celebrate Easter Hawaiian style!!!

Doncha mean, celebrate Easter, Island style.

har har.

K

Die thread, die!

S

I'll be there ASAP!!! I can't wait. Hopefully I can go after work wednesday.

Sweet!!!

Stopped by on Friday and just missed the lunch buffet- was pleased with the starts of what could be a new treasure in Columbus. I had the Tahitian Mermaid and my wahine had the Flaming Terriaki Sword, which was well presented table side. I wish I had brought my camera.. They have started a Happy Tiki Hour that begins at 9p with half price drinks (daily?).

With a little creativity this place could easily be converted to a full-on tiki paradise! Would be great to meet there for a happy hour one of these days.

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2006-09-11 20:11 ]

Let me know when you want to meet up Capt'n. Me and the rest of the FOM don't need any more invitation than HALF OFF drinks!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Tiki Hour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T
Teko posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 10:40 AM

I've noticed that the Kahiki website and blog both point visitors to the Tropical Bistro, now, and with the recent closing of the Kahiki Outlet in Gahanna, the remaining Kahiki furnishings are now unused. Maybe this is just wishful thinking... but I don't see any reason that Tropical Bistro couldn't fully inherit what's left of the old Kahiki. Nothing will bring the old Supper Club back in its glory, but I'd be happy with a small successful Son-of-Kahiki.

T

The furnishings were sold at the end, None are left. Tropical Bistro got all of the tables.

T
Teko posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 3:14 PM

Just to be clear, did they sell all of the Outlet Store furnishings as well? I was there a few weeks after they closed (mid-July), and in the darkness inside I could see tiki masks on the walls, bamboo chairs, and most importantly, the fountain from the foyer. I have some photos of what was left. Was that all sold off (and to who?!) or was it stored with things like the huge Kahiki fireplace?

T

The Kahiki factory still has ALOT of stuff at thier office. On display. Its all over the place. They did not have a sale of Kahiki items since July. That was mostly lamps. I do not know if they will sell items from the factory or not.

S

Just added an album of pix from a night last June we had at the Tropical Bistro with the Ohio Ohana - http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/tropical-bistro

There are actually more Tiki goodies tucked in the Bistro, Turtle shells, a pole or two etc, and other small details that are not pictured here.

You can catch glimpses of some of the other Tiki goodies and the eventual home of the chisel slinger Tiki here- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/HRHH2-Bistro in our album of pix from the Hot Rod Hula Hop's first night at the Bistro from last August

Enjoy your virtual visits!

HC

my gal and I (who are still working on a in depth book about the Kahiki) have,in our travels to Columbus, eaten (and drank) with pleasure here......I had the"mermaid" twice and it was perfectly tender and delicious.....Melissa, who's a plant and fish eater remarked on my many happy mmmmms as akin to shared "personal" moments......it was fantastic!! the drinks were well presented and strong enough. ( I did notice a discernible difference depending upon who was bar tending) The staff and owners were friendly and attentive....the place clean and attractive, with many elements of the great Kahiki evident.....while they were small touches and mixed with Chinese restaurant decor ,the overall effect was pleasant......multi leveled booths and nooks,cool lamps,gorgeous monkey pod wood tables (from the Kahiki ).......my suggestion would be for them to try an experiment..... doing a part of the restaurant as pure Tiki/poly pop, the rest the slick Chinese and be amazed at how the tiki sections would ROCK!!(=make$) .....dim the lights !, keep the drinks strong and fresh , and hide the TV in the asian section!......we know what we want ! and that's a magical escape.....we'll help!!....we like you guys!!!!

S

When last I was at Tropical Bistro I saw a sign that they were soon to close for a while for remodeling! I took this as a good (great!) sign of things (Tiki things) to come.

Does anyone know if this is complete?

D
Dan posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:17 PM

I am alos very curious about this renovation. I am going to be home on mid tour leave at the end of October and had wanted to visit this place. It is a bit of a drive(about 80 miles). Are their any dishes or drinks that are unique to their that are must haves?

T

That was an old sign. The renovation is done.
And Dan let me know when you come and we will meet you there.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:47 ]

D
Dan posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 2:33 AM

When I get a concrete date, I will most assuredly let the info out.

T
Teko posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 10:05 AM

Did anybody see the abysmal review of Tropical Bistro in the Columbus Dispatch last week?

It's very disappointing to see a review like this just as I was planning a visit with my Kahiki-loving parents, but here are some choice quotes:

"The sushi hasn't been particularly fresh-tasting, and its availability has been hit-or-miss."

"The Diamond Head Curry...barely hints of curry. Pass on this."

"Nothing in the imperial seafood stir-fry has a stir-fried quality. Pass on this."

"The"island bar-b-que" spare ribs...are very fatty and lacking barbequed aspects...tasting of nothing more than boiled pork. Pass on this."

"A desperation order of sweet-and-sour pork... is disappointing. The cubes of pork... have no flavor other than dull."

"There is no discernable reason to eat here."

In my dad's words, this is by far the worst restaurant review he's ever seen in the Dispatch. I want to love this place, can folks prove the Dispatch wrong?

That review was way off the mark and pretty nasty to say the least- Christensen missed out on the "signature" dishes which is a huge shame..

The meals I've had there have been wonderful! I'm glad there is something like it in town.

Disregard that review and try it for yourself!

Good news-

Tropical Bistro is going to do some minor renovations and switch to a polynesian theme! This will help the ambience of the place..

S

On 2006-10-04 10:05, Teko wrote:
Did anybody see the abysmal review of Tropical Bistro in the Columbus Dispatch last week?

It's very disappointing to see a review like this just as I was planning a visit with my Kahiki-loving parents, but here are some choice quotes:

"The sushi hasn't been particularly fresh-tasting, and its availability has been hit-or-miss."

"The Diamond Head Curry...barely hints of curry. Pass on this."

"Nothing in the imperial seafood stir-fry has a stir-fried quality. Pass on this."

"The"island bar-b-que" spare ribs...are very fatty and lacking barbequed aspects...tasting of nothing more than boiled pork. Pass on this."

"A desperation order of sweet-and-sour pork... is disappointing. The cubes of pork... have no flavor other than dull."

"There is no discernable reason to eat here."

In my dad's words, this is by far the worst restaurant review he's ever seen in the Dispatch. I want to love this place, can folks prove the Dispatch wrong?

I agree with Capt'n Skully. Try it yourself. I am constantly amazed at the quality of the food every time I visit. My wife and I usually get the lunch buffett and the selections are always very fresh and delicious. The variety changes constantly.

It's my favorite in the Columbus area and not just for its tikiness.

P.S. That lunch buffett is a $5 buffett!!!

[ Edited by: stunrut 2006-11-30 10:04 ]

T

I just helped them add 10 new tiki lights. Thatch/ Matting all over the bar.
And lots more bamboo everywhere. Plus two palm trees from the Kahiki.
Big ones! Five new tiki masks.
They now have their own mug.

So it's way more tiki now.

R

Hey gang will any of you be around on Friday the 22nd or over the pre-Christmas weekend? I am flying in for the holidays and definitely wanted to check out Tropical Bistro and hopefully meet up with some of the Buckeye Ohana.

Matt

p.s. FEAR the sweater vest!

T

I will meet you there. I live five mins away.
Let us know via this thread.
We may stop over at my place for a drink as well.

John.

R

Mahalo,

I get in earlier in the day on Friday and may shoot over there for lunch with my Mum when she picks me up from Port Columbus. It might be more fun if I dropped my stuff of at home (Mt. Vernon) and then came back over to meet up with you guys at a more civilized hour for cocktails. What are your thoughts?

Matt

T

That sounds good.
Be sure to ask for the Mai Tai,
Or the Polynesian spell.
If you have a drink.
Both are good.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 06:55 ]

R

Skip,

Thanks for the 411 on mentioning the FOM. I usually end up partying with FOM guys at Hukilau and/or Tiki Oasis. Actually since my flight gets in at 9:30 we may head straight back to Mt. Vernon in which case I will be able to drive back to C-bus earlier in the evening to join you for happy hour. Would it be better to meet you at TB or should I stop by your guys place first?

Mele Kalikimaka

Matt

really need to plan a trip out there....maybe this years hula hop??

T

We will be there tonight.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 06:53 ]

Hey yah hala bullhiki!
come on out for HRHH! Good times! I went to the Tropical Bistro last August, and can't wait to go back to see all the new decor. Lots of enhancements from what I hear.

This is just a small sample of the latest upgrades to the Bistro.............

Notice the cool picture by Capt'n Skully behind the bar!! :)

Cheers,
Jeff

T

"Notice the cool picture by Capt'n Skully behind the bar!!'

I put up the new lights, over ten.
Put in the back lit masks and matting and lots more, and all you see is Skullys picture!
Thanks for the props Jeff.:roll:

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:49 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-08-15 03:56 ]

Hi all,

I'm a new member of this forum, but I wanted to throw in a newbie's point of view on the Tropical Bistro if I may.

My family and I went out to TB on Saturday night for dinner (around 6:00) and we all had a great time. Like you who have been there, I'm somewhat at a loss for what exactly the Dispatch critic was talking about as we all really enjoyed it, and my wife is kicking me for discovering it just after we discovered we're having another kid... :) She really wanted to try some of the drinks.

I had the Suffering Bastard (okay, two of 'em) and the Malagasy New York Steak, and it was really good. Not too heavy on the sauce (the steak, not the drink) and cooked really well. My wife had the aforementioned Tahitian Mermaid and she loved it. My folks and my brother and his wife all enjoyed their meals immensely as well, though I don't remember exactly what they had.

For those of you who have kids, my two-year old had a great time, too, checking out all the decorations (some of which I vaguely remember from my first and only trip to the Kahiki back about six months before it closed). His eyes got big as saucers when they brought out his smoking punch (fruit punch drink with "smoke" coming from a glass in the center of it - I wish we had brought the camera!) and he enjoyed his dinner a lot, too. The service was really good and friendly, and the place was busy the whole time we were there (about 6-8:15 or so).

I thought the bar looked fantastic... I really wanted to sit down and settle in for the evening but my pregnant wife wasn't quite ready for that, for whatever reason. :) The other decorations in the place were good, though they did give a little bit of the impression of being a lot of authentic decorations on a not-so-authentic wall. That didn't take anything away from the experience. The golden lions they talked about are still there, but they did "tiki 'em up" a bit with leis, straw hats, etc. Sort of funny that way...

All in all, we're making plans to go back again for Sunday brunch on occasion and maybe for some dinners as well. It's a tad harder to plan this stuff with kids, but we're going to try!

B

Here are some of my pics from a recent trip to "The Bistro" I bought a bunch of mugs to start my collection. The skull mug is actually from the Kahiki as it is etched into the bottom.

http://bgsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2114615&l=8db70&id=20901907

(You don't need to be registered to Facebook to look)

T

You should have told us you were coming.
Nice pics.

My husband and I live in NY, but made it a point to stop at Tropical Bistro on a road trip to Graceland last year and we had a great time--good food, great drinks and the best mai tai we've had in a restaurant (I admit we have yet to get to Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai). Plus, the people there were really nice to us. We will definitely go out of our way to stop there on future trips.

Is the Tropical Bistro kid-friendly? I may stop there tomorrow with my girlfriend's family and they have a 3 and a 5 year-old. Also, is it smoking or non-smoking? Thanks!

TD

nothing in ohio is smoking anymore.

My husband and I live in Michigan, but we made the trek down to Tropical Bistro for our anniversary and it was amazing! It was a Friday night and they had live music. The drinks are amazing (Backscratcher anyone?) and I can't wait to go again - even though it is a 3 hour drive. I highly recommend it on all fronts - service, food, drinks, atmosphere. My husband - not much for tiki - was even convinced that we need a home tiki bar after going there.

On 2007-07-05 05:55, kahikikiki wrote:
My husband and I live in Michigan, but we made the trek down to Tropical Bistro for our anniversary and it was amazing! It was a Friday night and they had live music. The drinks are amazing (Backscratcher anyone?) and I can't wait to go again - even though it is a 3 hour drive. I highly recommend it on all fronts - service, food, drinks, atmosphere. My husband - not much for tiki - was even convinced that we need a home tiki bar after going there.

Glad to hear you had a great time!!! Let us know when you return and the FOM will show you a good time!! Also, you may want to come down on August 10th and 11th for the Hot Rod Hula Hop. August 10th is a BIG party at the Tropical Bistro called "The Feast of the Tiki Gods." More info can be found at http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

All the food you can eat plus entertainment by Fisherman, Francis Llacuna and Lelani. This will be a night not to be missed.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies