Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

D
Dan posted on Sat, Jul 21, 2007 2:24 PM

I will be there this evening. Look for the fat guy with the really tall girl with the Mai Tai Joe Tattoo on her right arm.

[ Edited by: Dan 2007-07-21 14:25 ]

T

I just saw this. I guess your not still there.
How did you like it?
Hope to see you at the Hula Hop.

D
Dan posted on Sun, Jul 22, 2007 6:33 AM

I had a swell time. Me and the misses fully plan on coming up for the hula.

Tickets are currently on sale for the "Feast of the Tiki Gods" at the Tropical Bistro on August 10th. Tickets have been selling very well lately and it would be a good idea to get them in advance.

Wait to you see their 6-foot reproduction of the Kahiki Fireplace!! :o

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

I love a happy ending!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Glad to see all my Buckeye ohana had a great time. I am off to Tiki Oasis in the morning.

I stopped by Tropical Bistro for a bite and a looksee while passing through nearby Columbus. I expected a Chinese restaurant with a tiki bar and dull buffet, but got a fantastic restaurant with great food, great service and multiple, umbrella-ed cocktails that I wish I could return to.

Some reviews of this place said the food was hollow or dry, but everything on that lunch buffet line was fresh and delicious. At most restaurants I encounter, the spicy dishes may have some heat to them, but this chef threw on the spicy flavor and kept it up. The vegetables were crisp and the desert spread better than any other buffet. I can't recall the price but I think the bar drinks cost more than my buffet.

The wait staff was extremely kind and attentive and that bartender knew his trade. I wasn't driving so I enjoyed myself and then some, not knowing when I may get the chance to return.

I'm back in LA now and knew I had to share some pics:

[ Edited by: lynxwiler 2007-10-30 23:44 ]

wow, those photos are beautiful! thanks for sharing.

T

Those are some great photos!
The owners are nice guys. I'm glad you liked it.

Another satisfied customer!! :)

So glad you stopped by. Its nice to hear positive reviews.

Thanks for posting the pictures too!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Hey, FOM guys!

When did that Kahiki-homage moai fireplace get installed.

Was it there at HRHH time?

On 2007-10-31 11:49, tikibars wrote:
Hey, FOM guys!

ha!! have another cocktail my friend!! it was certainly there during the event....you must have been lookin at yer shoes on the way in the door cause you couldn't miss it....or could you??..heh heh....

Aloha Ohio!

I am coming back home to Mt Vernon for the Thanksgiving weekend. How about a get together at TB? I had such a blast meeting the local Ohana/ FOM at Christmas so once more into the breech!

Matt

Sounds great Matt!!!

Give skip a call when you get into town and we will set something up.

It'll be nice to see you again!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2007-10-31 11:49, tikibars wrote:
Hey, FOM guys!

Did you miss "The Feast of the Tiki Gods"?

It was definitely there. Spaceboy built that and had it installed about June or July 2007. Not sure on the exact date. I can ask him though if you really need it.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

two thumbs up!!!

T

Yeah Matt give me a PM when you will be here and I will let all know.
This will be fun.

We're a go for the 23rd then: "Black Friday" Luau. I put a post up under Tiki Events just to see if any other ohana might be in town for the holidays and need a break as well.

Great!!

I have that Friday off so that works out good. Save that couch again for me skip. I'll bring the Tahitian Mermaid again!! :lol:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Make that 2 couches!

Like, I would want to drive back to Mt. Vernon wasted...again. Besides, I have rent money this time.

I just love Tropical Bistro. The atmosphere, the food, the drinks.... It's all great. If you're in central Ohio, check it out.

Tried to stop by and check it out this past Friday 2/8. The doors were locked and it had a service cacelation notice from the gas company sticking out of the front door. Really bummed! I had to go over to Cheesburger in Paridise. Doh!

I knew I shouldn't have even tried when my car broke down earlier that day and I had to rent another just to get to Columbus for my flight. Had to round out the night with a trip to Bamboo Burnies in Glen Burnie Maryland.

T

Stopped by again this past Friday 2/15 and the electric cancellation notice was stuffed in the door with the gas. I was able to see the Kahiki-homage moai fireplace through the front doors. Darn I wish I had stopped by a few weeks earlier!

Anything worth saving? Do you think the landlord will auction off the stuff? What happened to the owners?!?

S

Say it ain't so!

Argh! Nononono!!!

Does anyone know what's up?

I just hurriedly added an album of pix http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Tropical-Bistro-Late-07 from late December '07, so you can at least see the last state I saw it in. The pix were taken late in the evening on what had earlier been a very busy night. Lots of the pix are way out of order, some are even blurry (blame the mixology!) but they at least give some feel for what all the Tropical Bistro was at that moment in time.

I was actually very pleased to see how well it had developed as of late, and as always, enjoyed every moment of our all too brief time there; from the evolving decor to the magnificent mixology to the scrumptious feast.

"You're getting more interesting by the drink!" -Pepe le Tiki

[ Edited by: Sabina 2008-02-18 20:33 ]

T

Sabina Great to hear from you again!
This was on the door when I went.
Could not get ahold of Theang.
So don't know whats up.

I would say they have had more than a week.

S

Quick somebody sacrifice some virgins (if you happen to have some lying around) or at least some good rum!

I REALLY hope it's ok!

Sign me one worried Tiki!

Sorry about the picture quality. I only had my phone with me...

Gas Notice on 2/8

Front at 8pm on 2/15

Electric Notice on 2/15

I would say things are looking pretty bad. If anyone knows anything more or has contacts to find more, please post it up here.

-Tiki Goon

Pictures from 2/22:

Not an eviction notice, but one step away.

Failed attempt to turn on gas meter, wonder who requested?

TikiSkip,

Have you had any luck reaching Theang?

-TikiGoon

[ Edited by: TikiGoon 2008-02-27 10:34 ]

Check to see if they have any overdue library books. That would be a bad sign.

T
thick posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2008 7:32 PM

This is really bad news, goin down to Colombus this weekend for the Arnold classic & had planned to check the Bistro out, damn. Oh hey this is my first post! hello all, found this place doing searches for tiki images for a series of paintings I'm working on. Imagine my surprise to find out there was a tiki revival & I missed it way up here in northern Michigan, thought I was alone, hanging out in the ice shanty with Martin Denny & rum.

T

I used to call him there.
Or just stop in, They are right next to Loews.
So no I have not got ahold of him.
We do miss the place a lot.

B
Boxman posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2008 6:35 AM

So what is the latest? Is the bistro closed for good?

R

Roger that

B

I remember one of the owners/workers said that they were a regular here on tiki central, does anyone have there contact info?

If the bistro is closed i'd like to get my hands on some more mugs if possible.

T

Did they preserve a bunch of stuff from the Kahiki? I would hate to hear of the landlord just thowing stuff out! Sure could use some mugs. Although the wife probably feels otherwise.

T

Auction signs are up.

T

Auction signs are up.

...the curse of the Kahiki has claimed its children!
Actually, from what I heard it was just a really bad neighborhood, commercially.

T

Looks like the gato is out of the ol bag'o.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-08-27 10:07 ]

....any bar in a strip mall is eventually doomed...they rarely if ever succeed for more than a couple years....let's face it, it's just plain weird to be hanging in a tiki place that's in a strip mall....i, at least have never felt comfortable..I can't describe it....part of the reason i have never been back to tiki terrace since it's initial grand opening...i like the place and the folks who run it but it doesn't feel right...

..now...since the mini kahiki fire place is gone....who here can hook me up with the artist so i can commission a duplicate?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:57 ]

HC

Damn!
This is really crappy news...like a piece off a broken heart..maybe they took the "good stuff" for another location? something has to be up... it's not like they didn't know how passionate we are about the Kahiki stuff
Hula Cat

T

Greg is that you?
Give me a call. I tried to call you a while back.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:58 ]

T

So the Bistro auction is over.
It went on today at 10:00.
Went to Loews hardware at 9:00 it's next door.
I went in for one last look, very sad.
As I left the bistro I saw two geese fly over head
away from the Bistro.
It was kind of symbolic of my two friends Theang and soung
leaving our lives as well.

The stuff went for some high dollar as I hear. I did not go to the auction.
Dons Kahiki fireplace replica $600.00 Waay too much.
Mugs went for $300.00 in lots of ????
A Chisel Slinger tiki went for $ 600.00

I think those guys would have done better just having us guys give them tiki stuff and then reselling it!!

Ps a local got most of the good stuff before the auction.
Tables, lights, Kahiki.
Don't know who that was.
But I think they spent $8000.00 bucks.
Yeah, Tikis dyeing out.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-26 06:31 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 14:00 ]

K

After all these months, I'm still in mourning over the closing of the Tropical Bistro....and the more I learn about Tiki/mid century culture...the more sad I feel about losing the Kahiki. I was so lucky to have one of the best Tiki Meccas right here in my home city of Columbus OH.

Does anyone know if the employees of the Bistro went back to work at Kahiki Frozen Foods?

I hope that they can give it another try..if only Kahiki frozen foods would help operate another restaurant...I think the market is definately there with the reinterest in the tiki culture.

S

On 2008-04-25 18:34, tikiskip wrote:
So the Bistro auction is over.
It went on today at 10:00.
Went to Loews hardware at 9:00 it's next door.
I went in for one last look, very sad.
As I left the bistro I saw two geese fly over head
away from the Bistro.
It was kind of symbolic of my two friends Theang and soung
leaving our lives as well.

The stuff went for some high dollar as I hear. I did not go to the auction.
Dons Kahiki fireplace replica $600.00 Good job Don!!!
Mugs went for $300.00 in lots of ????
A Chisel Slinger tiki went for $ 600.00

I think those guys would have done better just having us guys give them tiki stuff and then reselling it!!

Ps a local got most of the good stuff before the auction.
Tables, lights, Kahiki.
Don't know who that was.
But I think they spent $8000.00 bucks.
Yeah, Tikis dyeing out.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-26 06:31 ]

Tiki establishments are dying out, but home bars are booming!

Tipsy won't say it but I will. He correctly forecasted the end of this place. He was spot on about what truly makes a tiki bar. Tiki bar design, in a way, can be equated to a game of poker...either you're all in or you ain't.

I agree that the strip mall location was HORRIBLE. However, it was nice having something back that felt legit. Columbus needs a real Tiki bar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies