Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

San Fransisco New Years 2003

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hey just some advice..My girlfriend and I will be in San Fransisco over New Years and part of our trip is going to be dedicated to visting some of the famous bars there.

I have been reading about Trader Vic's and the Tonga Romm. Seems like some think the Tonga room is not all that it is cracked up to be...Any advice concerning what bar is not to miss would be helpful. Also, if there are going to be any events out there between the 28th and 1st please let me know.

Thanks

M

Aloha,
San Francisco sucks! It's filthy, expensive, and the weather is almost as bad as London. Plus, the people are rude. Oh yeah? Yeah...go %$#& yourself!

But if ya have to visit, I would suggest you definitely make it to Tonga. Best approach is to make it for happy hour on a weekday. The free snacks now cost a few bones and are take it/leave it. The decor, from the elders at OA, is worth the price of two Mai-Tais. Do not miss it.

TV's in Emeryville is also a must-see.

Want to go more low-rent, then Trad'r Sam's and Bamboo Hut are options. That's a quick SF Tiki itinerary. More time and inteerst then you can go full-court Urban Archaeology...see all the old sites (Tiki Bob's, etc...)

Have a great trip...

midnite...no longer working for the SF chamber of commerce

M

See them BOTH! The negative comments about the Tonga room can be misleading-it is still a beautiful place and, in my opinion, a MUST SEE. The food varies between so-so and pretty good and either the manager or asst. (I can't remember) can be a real a-hole at times (he once told a very pregnant woman that he will have her kicked out if she doesn't stop blocking the area next to the bar stools). The rest of the staff is fine, though. Trader Vic's in Emeryville is also a must.

I'm with Midnite, San Francisco is just a gay London without a big river running through it. Highly over-rated.

Saying that, the Tonga Room is a joy. We had no problems at all with the staff. In fact, they were all in good form. Even the Bamboo Hut was a blast. Then there's all the cool relics; Tiki Bob, Tiburon Tommy's (sp?) plus Otto's DJ nights, and the rest. Expensive but fun......hmmmm.....I want to go back...Midnite, how about a 2-week house swap??!

Trader Woody

T
thejab posted on Thu, Dec 5, 2002 5:37 PM

I agree - don't miss the Tonga Room. If there is a Trader Vic's near where you live than you may want to skip Vic's as it's not in San Francisco but is on the East side of the bay in Emeryville - how close is the Atlanta Vic's to you and have you been there?

Never much cared for Bamboo Hut or Trader Sam's.

M

Trader Woody sez " Then there's all the cool relics; Tiki Bob, Tiburon Tommy's
(sp?) plus Otto's DJ nights, and the rest" Mr sad Smiley sez-
Otto and I went to check out Tiburon Tommies because we knew it was going to be torn down and all we found was a big hole in the ground where it used to be. So it is official that Tiburon Tommies is another deceased Tiki bar. At least Otto and I were able to buy a couple tikis from an auction of some of their decorations. RIP!!

On 2002-12-05 17:18, mrsmiley wrote:
(he once told a very pregnant woman that he will have her kicked out if she doesn't stop blocking the area next to the bar stools).

Was that Baby Doe?

M

"

On 2002-12-05 17:18, mrsmiley wrote:
(he once told a very pregnant woman that he will have her kicked out if
she doesn't stop blocking the area next to the bar stools).

Was that Baby Doe?"
---Yes that was Baby Doe and baby, you shameless name dropper!!!
Ps-see you at Trader Vics for dinner!

A

Here's a photo of Tiburon Tommie's from this August. I didn't know at the time that they were demolishing it, in fact I hoped that the scaffolding was for refurbishing the exterior. What do I know. You can just see some of the tiki on the exterior in the lower left. Somewhere I have some more photos, which I can post later if I can find them and if there's interest.

-Randy

That's tragic!

Here's one from 1999:

Trader Woody

T

I got treated like Sh*T BOTH times I went to the Tonga Room (all the way from Canada) but I'd still go back. the decor is that good.

Or maybe I'm a masochist?

Hey, thanks for the replies....I have been busy finishing up finals...Anyway, We are for sure going to try the Tonga Room, I guess for the history of it all. I grew up in Atlanta and have been to the Trader Vics there a couple times, but if we have the $$$ we'll try the one in Oakland as well. If anyone wants to go out with us, drop a line [email protected]. We are coming for the Dead's New Year Show (well I guess now its The Other Ones) Used to be one the West coast reguarly when the Dead wer still playing

Pages: 1 11 replies