Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Image Heavy)

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

What a great shirt, both in visuals and colors.

Found a photo on-line from Ivar's Fish Bar at the fair, which, while not a poly-pop joint, had some nice A-frame lines.

DC

Dusty, I don't know about now but back then Ivars on the waterfront was full of nautical decor.

Seen on the interwebs, made by Mildreds of Hawaii...

It's a dress.

In green.

aloha, tikicoma

Tikicoma,

Great find on the dress, awesome fabric.

Here is another old photo of the Hawaiian Pavilion.

DC

And an ad for the featured entertainment at the Hawaiian Pavilion.

Direct from the islands the Hilo Hawaiians.

DC

T

Ran across a nice shot of the Hawaii pavilion being built in front of the Space Needle.

While looking around YouTube I found a short 8mm film that has some footage of polynesian dancers in front of the Hawaii pavilion (at 3:35 to 4:20) and a shot of the Philippines Industries building (at 2:20 to 2"35).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5WSXyP6Udw&list=PL-1hcIrUntj8hkCFa9IoB2d5q-2TW_YfD&index=8
A little blurry but the dancers are fun to watch :)

And here's a nice shot of the driftwood carving, Polynesian Head by Fritz Abplanalp, that was at the pavilion giving you an idea of its size.

aloha, tikicoma

Ran across what must be the 1959 illustration that Sabu started this topic off with.

A bit pixilated but it's the best I could get. This reminded me that our family attended the hula show at the Hawaii Pavilion at the fair. I was expecting wahines in grass skirts... I was disappointed. I guess they forgot to consult Hollywood.

From some home movies stitched together, a side view of the Philippines Handcrafts hall showing just how large the carvings were and at the end what appears to be a performance in the Hawaiian Pavilion! https://vimeo.com/281931339

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2018-08-13 00:31 ]

Another slide photo of the Philippine Handcraft building. Very cool zig-zag Googie roof line.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2018-11-07 11:47 ]

T

Wow, that is the largest carved fork and spoon I've ever seen. And I dig how you walk through the tiki mouth. Thanks as always for sharing!

T

Found by arriano ten years ago this photo shows what must have been the entryway to the Philippines handicraft industries building...

pier 1 san deigo 68-69

I'm putting it here because it took me ten years to find it again after its first appearance. There were only two responses to it, one by bigbrotiki and the other by Dustycajun so it needs to be here.

new pier 1

That photo was taken from 1968-69 when the building was a Pier 1 in San Diego by 1969-70 the building had become a garden center/nursery and the entrance was gone...

For comparison here's another picture from the Seattle World's Fair.

Morley photo

I'm wondering if William Moultray had anything to do with this? He was from Yakima and ran Polynesian restaurants in the New York and San Antonio World's Fairs in ensuing years. He also opened a resort in Puerto Rico and had steak houses in Seattle and Yakima. If he wasn't directly involved, I wonder if this inspired him for his later ventures?

Pages: 1 2 58 replies