City:Attleboro
State:MA
Zip:02703
Phone:508-399-8020

Description:
Genuine, unreformed, classic, New England Polynesian-Chinese Restaurant

[ Edited by: pappythesailor 2008-06-28 21:29 ]

J

Thanks for posting the pics Pappy! You were lucky to escape with your camera out of there.

My opinion - visit the Mon Kou if you're looking for a tiki fix and you're in the Attleboro area. I'll certainly venture there again in the future.

Yeah, that place was amazing and I don't mean because it was so wonderful. It was amazing to still find a restaurant like that. Back in the 70's, EVERY decent-sized town in MA had a Chinese-Polynesian place just like the Mon Kou.

It was being taken to the Honolulu in Massachussetts in the late 70's that I got the Tiki itch. I'm convinced that there's a whole lot more in that area to be uncovered. Keep on digging, Pappy!

Trader Woody

although its a fairly new establishment,and isnt much to look at shanghai gardens certainly makes a lovely scorpion bowl. it is in south attleboro,MA on RT 1 on the border of pawtucket. Give it a shot. I will post a review once i have more accurately sampled the menu.

Milford (about 20 miles NW of Attleboro) is home to the PAGO-PAGO. Haven't been there in a while but I'm sure it's worth a visit.

BK

Just returned from my first trip to the Mon Kou. Very kool. Good food , good drinks.
Great decor, in spite of the updated booths and tables. The murals & tikis are awesome. Sorry to say, our drinks were served in regular glasses, although mine did have a dragon on it & the Mon Kou name. they wouldn't sell me one though. I did see a mean looking scorpion bowl go by in a big volcano bowl but they never lit the center. Definitely a must see for anyone visiting the area & will be a frequent stop of mine as it's less than 45 minutes from home. As for the mug hunt, when I got home, there was a message on my machine. My favorite antique store called to say she had a bunch of stuff set aside for me. Unfortunately, that'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Matchbook

I am getting the feeling that Kate joined a matchbook club. :)

On 2009-10-30 00:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

Nope. No club. Although that's not a bad idea. I'm just a little paper-obsessed these days, and I do believe that I can now call myself a phillumenist. It's so much easier to put 100 matchbooks into a binder as opposed to finding shelf space for mugs.

I'm getting the feeling that Kate keeps sneaking into my territory & buying all the cool stuff! :lol:

On 2009-10-30 17:05, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that Kate keeps sneaking into my territory & buying all the cool stuff! :lol:

I swear I haven't left California in over a year. :D

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 9:35 AM

On 2009-10-30 00:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

There are indeeed such things. Trade through the mail is cheap!

I found a photo of this great postcard from Mon Kou on flickr.

Witco-like carvings

And check out all of the Tiki mugs and bowls lined up behind the bar.

Nice looking Tiki bar.

DC

Visted the Mon Kou a couple of weeks ago. They "renovated" the exterior & the sign, but the interior still retains a lot of cool details. We tried 4 different drinks: Mai Tai, Zombie, Fogcutter & Suffering Bastard, all were good & the food was pretty good, as well. Here's some pics:

Is it me or do some of those masks look like cheesy Pier 1 Imports items? Also,I was told, by the manager, that the wahine in the last pics was topless, but they "fixed" her so as not to offend anyone!

Pages: 1 15 replies