Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

HIDDEN TIKI JOINT, sams seafood in longbeach ca.

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

traderpup, thanks for the tip!." i done built me a damn fine tiki room with lots of manly dirty brown drinkin vessels". there, hard-ass enough for ya!.

L
laney posted on Wed, Dec 18, 2002 2:19 AM

Sorry this is so Off Topic but anyone ever been to this so called Sam's place any way?

I'd love to get a group together for Bahooka. Maybe after the holidays... anyone? We can put together a few carpools and have a meeting place, I'd even offer up my pad.

god i do hope your joking!,if not , get ready for a blasting from the oldtimers!.(its a damn cool place).

There's a tiki bar in Sunset Beach?!

Pics from that night soon to come...

here we go again.......

I have no memories of Sam's (believe me!).

Seeing that I have NO plans.... blah blah blah! :)

:tiki:

fifty four posts?, thats it!. and you call yourselves..........what ever it is...........damn ...what was i saying?

Hey Twowheelin'
What's wrong with Ikea! I picked up a very cool rataan dining room set there last year and a bunch of palm trees that were on sale for next to nothing. Our house is decorated in a very "eclectic" style. New stuff mixed with old stuff. Hawaiian meets jungle mixed in with 60's pop and tiki. My wife calls it Feng Shui which as I understand it is the balance of good energy that promotes a healthy happy environment. You eliminate all the clutter and crap that you don't use but just gets in your way. I myself have a very simple rule when it comes to decorating...seee it, like it, buy it, bring it home and put it where it looks the best.

yo ship,i didn't say ALL ikea stuff is lame, just 75%!. i have lamps and little sh-t from there and i will tolerate my wifes purchases, but most of it is WAY too normal(read boring) for me.

L

Charles and Ray Eames design goals were to make affordable, functional, furniture with clean lines. See any connection? Were they the vintage Ikea? Is some husband out there kicking himself for not liking his wife's taste in "boring" furniture?

On a related note has anyone ever seen that Trading Spaces where Hildie got those yellow Eames chairs the husband hated and every woman drooled over exclaiming "Wow Eames chairs!"? That's my favorite!

BTW, I love how this thread has gone from topic to topic. What's next?

On 2003-01-13 23:56, laney wrote:
Charles and Ray Eames design goals were to make affordable, functional, furniture with clean lines. See any connection? Were they the vintage Ikea?

Yeah, but Eames products were built with quality in mind. Ikea furniture is, for the most part, pressed sawdust that falls apart after about 12 months. Somehow, I doubt that Ikea furniture won't hold the same clout 40 years from now as the Eames stuff does today...I simply don't think it will last that long!

Most people seem to be under the impression that Ikea only sells economy-minded furniture, something like a $29 laminated pressboard bookcase with carboard back, or $10 plastic & aluminum stacking stools.

Ikea produces high quality furniture too. Most people seem to pass over the higher priced items thinking "why pay $500 for that bookcase when I can get this one for $50?". But if you stop to look at their higher end furniture, you'll notice a huge difference in design, materials, and quality.

After getting tired of my clunky, design-barren particleboard computer desk, I finally chose some high end Ikea office furniture. It is beautiful! It is built to last!

Just keep in mind that Ikea offers furniture for any budget, and they pretty much follow "you get what you pay for".

Okay, what was the topic again?

L
laney posted on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 1:01 PM

Pop, I agree that Ikea stuff may not be a highly sought after collectible in the future. But I do know tons of those shell chairs didn't last. It is far easier to find the frames than the molded chairs which became brittle (and I'm no Eames expert) I'm also certain no one thought furniture made for schools and airports (Eames, Herman Miller, etc.) would ever become collectible or sold at Christie's Auctions!
You never know...

M

Hanford!

Lock this thread! This meandering nightmare must be killed!

-martin

L
laney posted on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 1:19 PM

NOOOOOOOOO! Keep it alive!

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-01-14 13:20 ]

On 2003-01-14 13:19, laney wrote:
NOOOOOOOOO! Keep it alive!

"Step Aside"

(grabs a defibrulator)...

"CLEAR!"

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-14 14:40 ]

25% is acceptable, but if you compare style alone, most ikea is without any visually pleasing lines or colors, some 50's "blond" furniture may be worth $ , but that does not make it good or even stylish!. maybe if i had enough lithium or prozac in my system like the average american shopper(sports bar devotee and spouse), i would dig the other 75% of there offerings!. :lol:

keep the rubber side down and the gas on!

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2003-01-14 18:12 ]

hey!, that kind of closed minded comment deserves some kind of response!.....well....i'm waiting...

There's a tiki bar in Sunset Beach?

Since I have no plans Sat nite, I might have to check this place out...!

It's Alive!....it's alive!...IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucky, you crack me up!

I'm thinking about Sam's on Sat. too.
....and thanks Two Wheelin', I do it for you.

And to return...

My comfy, gorgeous red IKEA hide-a-bed couch is my pride and joy, a thing of beauty.

OK, it won't go for 5X its value in 100 years the way a good antique will, but damn if it ain't by FAR better than anything I could have gotten at 2X the price (I got it in the AS IS section, due to a bad zipper on the white slipcover. I wanted red anyway, so the girl down there gave me a freshly returned perfect red cover in addition. Ta Da! A perfect couch ($699 plus the cover for an additional $150 or $170) plus a spare cover that needs a minor repair for: $500!!

I bought the girl helping a six-pack of beer (her fave brand) and had it waiting for her when she got off work!!

I LOVE IKEA now! (And I don't even like pale blond wood Scandinavian furniture!)

Spike, Pup,

If either of you are going to Sam's this Saturday, COUNT ME IN! I look upon my relationship with my Zombie there most affectionately. I'm in desperate need of another. Get Lapu there too!

Sabu

ah, that good 25% feeling!, but for $500.00, you could have gotten a real cool rattan couch that would appriciate as the years roll by...(ebay antique). ....but back to sams, sat nite at what time?????? :drink:

keep the rubber side down and the gas on!

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2003-01-16 19:02 ]

I'm going to the NAMM show (musician's convention) in Anaheim earlier that day so if I go to Sam's it'll have to be around 7 or 8 o'clock. I'll try to get Lapu to go. Who else can make it? Bonger, Bax, Ben, Pop, Sten, SCD, Chiki, I could go on for hours.......

DZ

Ok... wait a sec. Lemme get this straight: it's Sam's on Saturday - NOT "tiki pool night" at the Hurricane? Darn... I wuz hopin' to give the new joint a try, but it's just too far to hit both in the same night...

the f.n.g. , twowheeler and better half will be there if you guys are, say ,around 7:30-8:00....

L
laney posted on Fri, Jan 17, 2003 4:06 AM

Man, there's no escaping NAMM! I work at Fritz too in Anaheim (just a waitress) We get crazy busy for NAMM. Tonight was the first night (Thurs.) and it was o.k. but Fri & Sat go off! No chance of me getting out there but if any of you music T.C.er's are in the area come on in, I'll be there at 9:30! (you know you want to go anyway) We can ususally count on some big rock stars, so I could use some good tippers :wink:

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-01-17 04:09 ]

Who's going on Sat? It's a long drive from the 909 for me so I wanna make sure there'll be some people there! Doc Z are you stopping by? I'll bring your mug with me if you're still interested.

S

On 2003-01-16 21:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
Who else can make it? Bonger, Bax, Ben, Pop, Sten, SCD, Chiki, I could go on for hours.......

Hey Lucky D,

Thanks for the invite. Would love to go but I'm here in the cold, cold East and will be partying with the NYC Tribe on Saturday night (Chan's & Otto's here we come!).

Save that pool night, Dr. Z. Would love to go there when I come back.

Aloha,

Arty

PS - That cool pine furniture I have is from Ikea!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-01-17 10:00 ]

Bong's in, but what time at Sam's. Lucky-D make sure it's the time you'll actually BE THERE!

Also, can you bring 'anyone' to the NAMM show?

I'm afraid the tickets to the NAMM show are super hard to get unless you are a music retailer (or know one.) One of my Dad's customers works for Taylor guitars and he was the one that hooked me up with the ticket. Actually, Taylor guitars ran out of tickets so the guy called his buddy Semore, as in Semore Duncan the pickup manufacturer and got me a ticket through him. So I am a guest of Semore Duncan. If I could, I'd bring you along Bonger. I will take pictures and show them to you that night. We can also discuss the future of our Hawiian band. My main goal is to see what's new at the Gretsch booth and to see my friend's booth at King Doublebass.

Laney, why don't you come out after work on Saturday too? You'll kinda be in the neighborhood.

I'll probably see you all around 8:30.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-01-17 11:16 ]

I'll do all I can to make it there 8-ish, but don't hold your breath (okay Bong, you hold your breath, starting about 7....)

I'll be there around 8:00, hopefully with Doctor Z and Z Girl in tow. Look forward to seeing you all.

Sabu

Sounds like a plan! Doc Z, I'll bring your mug with me. See you all there...

DZ

Yea, verily Popster: The good Doctor and Z Girl will be there, and I'll be sure to bring the Aku Aku mug and we can finally make that trade! It'll be good to see some TC'ers again - ain't really seen no one since the holidays! Rather serendipitously (50-cent word for the day...), we ran into Johnnie and Lady Velour last night - looks like they may join us as well! Sabu offered to drive, so I can get lit up like a tiki torch tonight, and with the warm weather (sorry all you East coasters - it's been in the 80's here lately...) and full moon, it should be a fine time for some howling! See y'all soon!!

AAAwwwwhhhooooooo!

Hey Z!
Turn that howell into a fog horn! Man, it's socked in thick along the coast right now!! I wish I can be at Sams!! I'm on kid patrol. Mrs. Boo went to see the Stones tonight. Her sis is in front row at the Garden in N,Y.! I still think they (the Stones) look like tikis.

well, i hope it wasn't too much fun......cuz i had to stay home with my sick wife!. just when the need for sams ribs and a chance to buy sabu a zombie arises..sorry. maybe when you guys go to the tiki pool hall i/we will be rolling again.

TwoWheeler,

You missed a good time. Next time wifey-poo is sick, load her up and Niquil and bail after she passes out!

On 2003-01-14 12:40, Traderpup wrote:
Most people seem to be under the impression that Ikea only sells economy-minded furniture, something like a $29 laminated pressboard bookcase with carboard back, or $10 plastic & aluminum stacking stools.

Ikea produces high quality furniture too. Most people seem to pass over the higher priced items thinking "why pay $500 for that bookcase when I can get this one for $50?". But if you stop to look at their higher end furniture, you'll notice a huge difference in design, materials, and quality.

After getting tired of my clunky, design-barren particleboard computer desk, I finally chose some high end Ikea office furniture. It is beautiful! It is built to last!

Just keep in mind that Ikea offers furniture for any budget, and they pretty much follow "you get what you pay for".

How much are they paying you?

T

Speaking of Ikea, I just read that Ikea bought this famous building by Marcel Bruer and intended to tear it down.

The city of West Haven, CT denied them the permit to demolish it but OK'd Ikea's alternate plan to demolish a portion of it and build a huge Ikea store (in their typical hideous blue and yellow color scheme) and parking lot next to it. For shame Ikea!

yo bongster, she tried kicking me out so i could go, but my paternal instincts took over!, i cant even claim i was p---ywhipped!. she wanted to make it up to me , so we went to damons in glendale for some fine haw......steaks!, they dont have ribs!, no hawaiian food!, and the ditz bartender uses vodka to make a blue hawaiian!. thank god the steaks rocked!.

I'm sorry you weren't able to make it Two Wheelin', we had a real good time.

Sabu and I discussed and came to the conclusion that Sam's is the Southern California tiki headquarters. Jeff, the bartender even named his blue/ green mai tai type concoction the 'Tiki Central.' I've had it every time I've been there and I swear by it.

Anyway, I took a couple of pics there that I don't think have been posted before:

Bong and I heard live music coming from the room next door so we decided to crash the birthday party there.

The band turned out to be a really good surf band that no one at the party really seemed to appreciate.

That's about it for now, next time you're at Sam's ask for the 'Tiki Central' it's a good time.

CHECK OUT MR.LUCKY!, the boy gets a drink named and takes photos!. i love surf music, so now i am really crying that i missed it!. at least i won a (pre zip code) vintage sams menu on ebay to help console me!. i have been hanging at tiki ti lately and am really starting to love the place.we should plan a "take over" nite for t.c.ers to thrash about and enjoy that little slice-o-tiki paradise.since some of you live in the toolies, we should shoot for a saturday nite(not the first in the month, sales meeting). what say yall? :drink:

Pages: 1 2 94 replies