Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Van Hoople paintings

Pages: 1 39 replies

After many hours of probing the internet for info, I turn here to the Gurus of TC for help. This morning I bought a signed Van Hoople painting at a yard sale for $5.00. I think it's more than just interesting; I like it! But I've found VERY little about the artist. Here's the best bio I've found so far (quoted from an auction site - http://proxibid.com/asp/catalogprint.asp?aid=2853 ):

"California artist, Van Hoople, born Chicago,Il. 1934. Hired by Paramount Studios in Hollywood. Apprenticed for Cecil B. DeMilles scenic art director, P T Blackburn. Has been under exclusive contract with Hillside Galleries since 1957."

Does anyone know anything more? Is this artist still "with us"? Did he do anything beside paintings? I'd LOVE to see photos of other works of his you may have! Here's mine:

detail:

signature:

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2006-04-29 18:58 ]

Here u go,

I believe mine is from the same gallery and with the same frame type as yours Silverline. I think that Van Hoople would sometimes do many similar pieces as I have seen one other painting quite similar to mine. It appears these were sort of an edition as a number is sometimes impressed into the paint. Mine has a 97 pressed into the impasto, the similar pic. i saw was 95 I believe.

Come on peeps let's see more, BTW Silverline, your piece is waaay cool!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-30 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-30 13:40 ]

Well, I just spent more than a few minutes searching for a number of some kind on mine with no luck. The mysteries build! Yours is way cool, too Sneakytiki! Kinda looks like the sort of scene my late Grandfather painted on occasion. Maybe that's why I like this artist.

Here are a couple others I found at other traditional auction sites (one very similar to yours). BTW, these don't seem to go for a lot of money. I guess the style isn't popular (yet) and/or the supply far outstrips demand.

Silverline, I tried to post pictures from those auction sites earlier but could only find small thumbnails. I have seen them sell for 100 dollars or so.

There's one up for auction on eBay right now! Starting bid is $149. We'll see if they get it.

They didn't get it....

I bought my painting for 30 clams and that's probably about what it's worth. I bought it to hang in my atomic ranch, not to sell, so no worries. The idea of making a series of very similar paintings seemed cheesy to me at first but hey, printmakers do it all the time and I have no problem with those so I guess I should appreciate the novelty.

Silverline, your painting appears to be on a wood panel? or is that painted to look like wood? Either way, it looks like you have more of a one off then the super thick paste covered boards with impasto paint type that I have.

The info on the back of my painting was the same as the artists background you mentioned. Looks like a mass producing painter for the middle class, so I dunno that this will ever be considered valuable due to art world politics.

Thx for posting this topic
ST

S

As far as supply far outweighing demand, I love this artist and would love to purchase some of his paintings. Help!

How can I post pictures of my Van Hoople Paintings?

Billy Beyond

K

On 2006-06-24 21:17, Billybeyond wrote:
How can I post pictures of my Van Hoople Paintings?

Billy Beyond

Billy, on the right side of the top of the screen, click on "Help/FAQ", then click on "Uploading & Embedding Images", this will show you step by step instructions on how to post pictures.

I love these Von Hoople paintings. They're so hip in a nostalgic kind of way.

On 2006-05-01 20:45, SilverLine wrote:
There's one up for auction on eBay right now! Starting bid is $149. We'll see if they get it.

B

Here's mine...

I am looking to buy Van Hooples! Not because they have any dollar value so to speak, but for sentimental reasons. My grandfather gave me one he bought a long time about from Mr. Van Hoople. Recently my grandfather passed away and I would like to honor his memory by collecting more of these paintings. Please let me know if ANYONE is interested in selling. Thanks!

Here is a large painting I recently found at a local thrift store, I am unsure if it is a Van Hoople, I can't see the signature anywhere but it's an original painting and the back has a sticker and note on it. Anyone know if this is truly a Van Hoople?

S

I would like to sell my Van Hoople painting below. Please give me a shout if you are interested!

I

Here's my Van Hoople. I recently inherited it from my grandparents. In my lifetime, it always hung over the couch in their living room, but used to hang in my grandfather's office when he was president of a bank. It used to have a little brass plaque attached to the frame with some sort of title or something. I'm not sure when it fell off. You can see the residue of the glue. I'm surprised by how different this piece seems from the others posted here. I certainly love it for sentimental reasons, but I've always loved it for aesthetic reasons too!

I recently came across a Van hoople painting. I personally am not a huge fan of his work. it is just not my style. I think he was very talented it just not for me. So I am looking to sell my painting. If anyone is interested please email me and let me know. You can email me at [email protected]

I have more pics too.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Some of this paintings look like Witco's Conquistador style to me. Is there a connection?

I'd guess the connection was just that the Conquistador style was very popular at the time (even the frame of the above piece shows it) and Van Hoople's work seems to be largely decorative and as such was completely contemporary to his times. I think the crude quality of the painting above is typical of some Conquistador decorative work (like Witco) which weren't meant to be regarded as crude but rustic or primitive.

I hadn't seen the Van thread til now. Interesting work and some great finds.

My Van Hoople Wish I knew how much its worth? comments welcome

My Van Hoople. I am looking for a certain one. It is similar to mine but more blue-ish purple in color and more suns or something in the sky. It is also shorter and wider. I have heard that he would make multiples of a painting, some sort of series? I have seen pictures of paintings that look like mine on the internet, but nothing like the one I am looking for...

I really like the paint on the frame, it gives it character.

I have a oriental Van Hoople painting for sale. I"ll add pictures in march. this is one buitiful piece of art.

[ Edited by: bayoubabybeaux 2011-02-26 17:32 ]

J

This is my Van Hoople I purchased from someone on Ebay a few years ago. It's painted on Board. I think it's a beautiful piece. I'm not sure what type of wood it's painted on, but it almost looks like Teak.

I just recently purchased another Van Hoople Painting from a seller on Ebay. A very unusual piece. This particular one is also painted on Board. It appears to be painted on Masonite.

[ Edited by: jpc1701 2012-02-11 13:07 ]

Hooray! I figured this might be the best place to find other Van Hoople enthusiasts. I scored my first VH this summer. It's an unusual work, a portrait, possibly unfinished:

I just bought 2 Van Hooples at Goodwill. They're pretty different than what I've seen here, though. Both feature birds in and on cages. Here are some bad cell phone shots of them.

I bought these to sell, so if they strike your fancy let me know. They each measure about 46 by 17 inches. The images are painted on some sort of fabric; it might be silk but I'm not sure. The frames are ornate and have a bold pink sort of undertone.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for posting your Van Hoople artwork. It is so awesome. Several years ago I purchased a painting at a flea market. I loved the use of the heavy impasto and the vivid colors. I have been researching my painting. I unfortunately can't tell if my painting is by him or not. The style, colors, perspective and frame match some of his other works however his signature is different on mine. Take a look, and if anyone can give me some insight I would be grateful. Thanks so much! Happy Art Hunting :)

K

Since this seems to have become the preeminent threat about Van Hoople paintings anywhere online I would like to add mine. I picked it up this weekend. Someone unfortunately tried to paint the frame gold and got smudges on the matting but the picture is untouched. There is also a big 'B5-27' painted on the back of the board in black paint.

I am so stoked! I have a van hoople and it looks nothing like what I have seen here. it is of a knight on a horse fighting a dragon in sepia tones. it is sworlylines and it is amazing. everybody that sees it raves. it was made in 1974. I have had this painting since1979. a freind of mine in la bought a storage facility and it was full of paintings by a lot of people....20x10 space packed to the gills and i helped him move it all to his house and he let me pick one and I got a van hoople. a few months later he burned his house down when he made a very large tesla coil that he had made in his garage that was hooked directly to the electricity from the pole bypassing the meter. totally illegal. the coil would make lightning and wherever it hit it would burn holes in the walls of his garage. you had to stand in the street and remotely turn it on. he blew all his neighbors windows out and burned his house down.......I SAVED THE VAN HOOPLE!!!!...he went to jail for theft of utilities!

BB

Great story, thanks!!

Hello, I was looking up information about this painting I have.
This painting was thrown out on the curb in the trash. I though it was absolutely beautiful and haunting in a way. I recognized the skill of an artist, and rescued the painting. It is a thick oil paint with designs scrawled into the thick paint to create detail. It is done on what looks like a piece of ceiling tile or drywall that has been framed. The most interesting part is that there is a huge unfished sketch on the back. It looks like some sort of all over printing technique that I am not familiar with. My guess is that the canvas was turned over and reused by Van Hoople. Maybe he didn't have anything else to paint on? Enjoy the pics, I am in love with this painting :)

Hello, I was looking up information about this painting I have.
This painting was thrown out on the curb in the trash. I though it was absolutely beautiful and haunting in a way. I recognized the skill of an artist, and rescued the painting. It is a thick oil paint with designs scrawled into the thick paint to create detail. It is done on what looks like a piece of ceiling tile or drywall. The most interesting part is that there is a huge unfished sketch on the back. It looks like some sort of all over printing technique that I am not familiar with. My guess is that the canvas was turned over and reused by Van Hoople. Maybe he didn't have anything else to paint on? Enjoy the pics, I am in love with this painting :)

Sketch on the back:

You can see the material it is painted on and the strange printing technique used:

I would love to know more info about this artist!

S

I would love to know more info about this artist!

http://www.LMGTFY.com

D

My Van Hoople found at local yard sale.The picture just seems to pull you into the hallway. It is Signed V.Hoople IT is even more interesting now that I know more about the artist.

[ Edited by: Denimeyes 2013-05-08 14:16 ]

Fixed your images....

M

I'm selling two (2) Van Hoople paintings on eBay.
Please click the link to view pictures!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321402850127?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

The paintings depict a surrealistic interior design in the modern style of heavy impasto. Each painting has heavy textural marks and full of great color.

Measurements: Each painting is 21 Inches (width) x 37 Inches (height)
Weight: Each painting weighs 11 pounds
Frame: Original wood frame on mason board from Hillside Galleries.
Identifying Marks: As the pictures show, each painting is signed by the artist with "V Hoople". Also, the back of each painting states "Hillside Original" with a corresponding number of "#181p" and "#182p"

Condition:
Both paintings and frames are in excellent condition.

Hello all,

What a joy to be here. A friend of mine gave me (yes, "gave" me!) his Van Hoople painting when I discovered he was downsizing his abode. I was ready to pay for it when he said, "It's my gift to you." I've loved it since the first time I saw it about 4 years ago. He was told it was supposed to be Shanghai in the '30's. I sure don't know but it looks like it could be. Regardless, I now have a Van Hoople. I nearly peed my pants when it showed up at work, delivered by Canada Post, and completely unexpected. What a surprise - I had thought I'd be going to retrieve it personally at some point.

It's a good size, too, measuring 32 x 44 inches. It does not have a frame; however, it contains similar markings to others posted here.

If you look to the edges, you'll notice the canvas has pulled back a little where there aren't staples holding it to the under-framing. Doesn't bother me - it's awesome! When I finally frame it, I'll try to find one (or make one) with a bit of a lip on it to hide the blank canvas that has made its way to the front of the picture.

Artifacts like this can be a little difficult to find here on the east coast of Canada so I consider myself very lucky to have it. While not a tiki collector by any means, I'm a huge fan and drool over - and pine for - most all of it. To listen to Martin Denny and Les Baxter and dream of faraway places during a simpler time is a favourite pastime of mine. Now, if only I could do it in my own MCM ranch...

Enjoy.

Van Hoople is back. I recently bought a place in Laughlin, Nevada and my wife and I have been decorating it in a Spanish/Moorish/Bohemian style. This thread came to mind one night and I knew, just knew, that a few Van Hooples would be perfect.

These are some quickly taken images, but you get the point.

One think I note, it that since the posting of this thread back ten or more years ago, Van Hoople's are now much more expensive. I'd like to think that TC had something to do with that.

IMG_6437IMG_6438

[ Edited by telescopes on 2023-02-07 15:45:30 ]

I have a third Van Hoople arriving. Once it has, I'll be sure to post a picture of it. Since this post first went viral, if you can call that, interest in Van Hoople paintings has drastically increased. These paintings compliment tiki in a very real way. Check it out. Is Van Hoople in your future?

IMG_8103IMG_8103

My latest Van Hoople. Just Amazing. Look at those strokes.

[ Edited by telescopes on 2024-01-29 16:33:37 ]

[ Edited by telescopes on 2024-02-02 17:35:24 ]

I just realized I posted the painting above upside down. Whoops.

Pages: 1 39 replies