Lord Tennyson? Definitely Tiki!

Plato too!

:)

UB

Deleted because of bad link.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2010-10-14 02:22 ]

L

how could anyone hate the Fab Four!

the thing is about the 60s for those of us who came of age during that particular decade alot of it was just downright boring... but the one thing that made it un-boring was the music... I was looking at the top ten song of 1962 and to my shock and awe the number one song was Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.. go figger right? the Beatles weren't even on the charts yet not seriously anyway... when Dick Clark played the lads on American Bandstand the kids hated it because "you can't dance to it"!!

ob la di ob la da!

Shaka!

TM

That would be the exact sentiment I would expect from some rock fan.

But for everyone else, prior to 1964 there was a HELL of a lot of stuff happening. It's just the young people of that time period that hated their "parent's music". Besides the awesome early soul of Booker T, there was Sam and Dave and a whole bunch of other stuff...not to mention all the great jazz of that era. You rocker/hippies make it almost sound as if the music world was dead and buried until the coming of the Beatles!

As for me, I would rather listen to Booker T and the MGs ANY day of the week besides the Beatles. Do some research on Stax-volt before you brush that classic R and B away so easily! Donald Duck Dunn? That man is like a God to me.

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-07 13:07 ]

HJ

Hmm...

...the Beatles came along in this life "right after" the first Tiki influences, "Adventures in Paradise" and the "South Pacific" movie.

'Never saw any 'Horror" in The Beatles and certainly no "threat" to Tiki.

Parallel travels....

TM

It's not parallel at all. One cancelled out the other. Since this forum is mainly about mid century poly pop, I am always amazed at the amount of people on this forum who seem to come from a different, more hippy hawaiian version of tiki. Not me. I just wish people would stop resserecting this thread. When I first wrote it, I incorrectly assumed a majority of people on this forum liked music associated more with lounge culture then with pop/rock music. I was wrong. There are only a handful of us. Lets just leave it at that. Mid century Tiki died in the 60's. The Tiki revival of the 90's is either dying or being dilluted so much that it no longer has any connection to the original other then people collecting mugs. Hippy, Buffet, surf anf Punk are what it seems the majority of people on this forum are into. Why don't you Beatles/Hippy defenders just start your own threads about how The Beatles are Tiki, or why you love their mundane and souless songs so much.....I promise I won't post on it. I would rather leave this thread for those that prefer Dean Martin or Sinatra, Esquivel or Martin Denny....or just let it sleep.

L
Lokepa posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2010 4:54 AM

i think you misinterpreted my comment: nothing wrong w/ Booker T at all I just would've thought it might have been the Isleys for example or the Contours... btw long before i was listening to the Beatles etc I was borrowing my dad's Les Baxter LPs along with Tito, Shorty Rogers "Afro-Cuban Influence" LP, Prez Prado, and as I got a little older ventured along with Stan Getz's travels into bossa nova, Herb Alpert, all of that kind of material... granted not straight tiki by a long shot.. I just happen to love all kinds of music and was happily surprised to find such a large following of exotica these days...

btw Old Blue Eyes once made the comment that "Something (In the way she moves)" was "the greatest love song ever written..." when the Chairman of the Board speaks we better listen..

Shaka!

[ Edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 04:59 ]

TM

All the examples you just posted are far closer to Tiki then the Beatles ever will be. They are from what we now call the "Lounge" era, and I pretty much like them all.

Another point: Yes, Sinatra and other "jazz" pop artists of that time period pandered a bit to what was then current tastes, and included Beatles and other 60's artists songs in thier repetoir. I did not like it much. Sergio Mendes and brasil 66 did this, as did Wes Montgomery among others. It's pandering, and an attempt to stay current. Some of them were older artists, trying to be hip. Others perhaps genuinely liked the new sound. But some, I am willing to bet, did this with a gun pointed at thier heads by the record company trying to capture the youth market.

Not much different then what Sergio Mendes has done recently with his collaborations with rap artists. Actually, I pretty much hate it.

I would like to know under what circumstances or in what context Sinatra made that comment...because there is no way any Beatle song would ever rank as the world's greatest love song...not when there are so many great tunes by Cole Porter and so many others.

But regardless, the point of this thread originally (way back in the dawn of time) was that it's apples and bicyle locks. The two genres (mid century jazz pop and Hippy rock music) are completely different from each other. I see no co-existing among them. Maybe today, people can like both....but back then, there was a HUGE difference. Culturally, musically, demographically.

And speaking as a musician, the main difference for me has always been that the music of the lounge era was created by professional musicians, reading scores, being conducted..think Les Baxter, Billy May and all the other big band leaders who routinely backed singers of the time period.....most everything (with some exceptions) that came after was basically a form of folk music/garage rock stuff. And that would include the Beatles. OK if you like that stuff....but I don't.

You can debate that one is better then the other or not...but I am just saying there is a huge difference in the styles of music I am describing here.

L
Lokepa posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2010 8:56 AM

Sinatra pandering?

all good points, but i love it all... the music that is..

and didn't Muddy Waters say that jazz and the blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll??

for what its worth this from wikipedia:

Frank Sinatra was particularly impressed with "Something;" calling it "the greatest love song ever written," he sang it hundreds of times at various concerts. However, he once made the comment that "Something" was his all-time favourite Lennon/McCartney song (knowing neither composed the track), and frequently introduced it as such.[24] Harrison did not appear to mind this, and instead borrowed an alteration to the lyric that Sinatra had made. Where the original song was "You stick around now it may show," Sinatra sang "You stick around, Jack, she might show." This change was adopted by Harrison, who used the same lyrics whenever he performed "Something" as part of his touring repertoire

...and just for kicks!

Other cover versions (of Something) soon appeared, including versions from Presley (who included it in his Aloha from Hawaii TV special) !!!! LOL!

[ Edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 09:41 ]

[ Edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-08 09:43 ]

TM

The fab 5:

The hippie Beatles:

I just don't know how much clearer the difference could ever be!

(but wait, isn't Ringo wearing a Lei? That means the Beatles are TIKI!!!!!!!)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-08 10:59 ]

TM

1950's cocktail party: (where everyone looked and smelled their best!)

1960's hippie party: (where everyone looked like a bum, and smelled probably not so good!)

(but wait......I see some exotic percussion in this picture! That proves that Hippie music is the same thing as exotica!)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-08 11:13 ]

On 2010-10-08 07:51, lucas vigor wrote:
...Sinatra and other "jazz" pop artists of that time period pandered a bit to what was then current tastes, and included Beatles and other 60's artists songs in thier repetoir.. ... It's pandering, and an attempt to stay current. Some of them were older artists, trying to be hip. Others perhaps genuinely liked the new sound. But some, I am willing to bet, did this with a gun pointed at thier heads by the record company trying to capture the youth market....

I always found this album to be tragically ironic or ironically tragic...

Most early Beatle albums could have been called "Beatles pick Chet Atkins".

L

now this is scarey!

TM

What the heck was he thinking?

And I get called "Old Man" because I still Listen to old-school Punk Rock...

and 50s Jazz,Swing,Torch,Exotica and Pop,60s Ska & Reggae music(Desmond Dekker the Israelites)anyone? anyone?
yea I said it,I like Reggae! but I hate Jimmy Buffet,his music,not the guy.

But for some reason I have never been a Beatles fan,I preferred Motown.

L
Lokepa posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 6:03 AM

LOL! you don't know what old is yet! I'm 63 years of age and to paraphrase Tolstoy, nothing surprises a man more than old age! Hey next year I get to sing that Beatles song w/ real meaning! so I turned 13 in 1960 meaning I spent all of my teenage years and part of my young adulthood during that controversial decade... thing is while we were growing up nobody told us, hey this decade is gonna be one of the most controversial, scrutinized decades in the history of the country or the world for that matter... anyway as far as the Beatles go: what is it the French say? Look for the woman! so back in the day we had what i call "record dates" i guess... that's when you go over to a girl's house with a bunch of albums listen to music and maybe if not second get to first base... truth be told: if you showed up with an armful of Les Baxter or Martin Denny records you probably wouldn't even get up to bat! the girls LOVED the Beatles.. and quite frankly even then kinda considered them the "girl's group" while us guys were listening to the Stones... our parents didn't mind so much the Beatles... they were kinda cuddly and funny and sang songs like Michelle and Til There Was You... but the Stones? whew! that scared the hell out of them! later Hendrix that REALLY scared the hell out of them!

reggae? absolutely! I got to see Black Uhuru in the mid-80s at the Santa Barbara Bowl headlined by King Sunny Ade... what a show! about a year later in San Luis Obispo there was a reggae fest featuring Eek-a-Mouse and Mutuburuka (sp?) which i call "reggae from space"!! LOL! and whole bunch of others I can't remember too much fun i guess! then in the early 90s got to see Culture at a club in Santa Barbara... I'm old school reggae some of the contemporary stuff sounds much too much like rap to me...

okay sorry to be such a blowhard! Shaka!

TM

Was'nt it John Lennon himself who admittted that all the "Be-ins" and "Sit-ins" were just an excuse to meet chicks?

TM

This was the inspiration for this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17476&forum=6

I am suprised all the Anne Geddes fans on this forum didn't get their little panties in a bunch over it!

W

Just to keep the cross pollination going...

I didn't create The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) just to goad Lucas Vigor.

Admittedly parts of my The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) were intended to make a couple points in my usual highly hilarious manner:

1. It's irritating when someone gets annoyed with a discussion and goes back and deletes all the posts he/she made. (Particularly annoying if it's a thread he/she started or if it's his/her grand exit from Tiki Central and he/she really want to show us all.)

2. If someone is annoyed with a thread they shouldn't keep contributing to the thread or make calls to have it locked. Just leave the thread be. If it gets bumped up for whatever reason and it's still a sore point, just let it be. If it's no longer a sore point then laugh it off and add to the discussion if you feel you have something worth contributing.

My intent with The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) wasn't to allude to Lucas Vigor just for the sake of annoying him. In fact the careful reader will note that there are favorable comments made about the original The horror that is the Beatles!! thread. (I don't care for the Beatles much myself though I don't think only they could have brought about the changes in the pop world that happened with and after them.)

I alluded to Lucas Vigor in my The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) mainly for the sake of citing him as a fictitious creator of a monster over which he no longer had control. This was done merely for humorous intent because as I have already told you all many times: I'm hilarious.

Actually, had I not watched a whole string of old horror movie ads the night before I made The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread (A Forum Classics Posts release) I probably wouldn't have ever addressed Lucas Vigor's The horror that is the Beatles!! thread beyond the really fantastic artwork I contributed to it almost almost four years ago:

And something else to think about: That John Lennon monster would have been 70 years old yesterday.

Ta Da!

HA!!!!

Finally someone understands.

And now you understand, Woofmutt with two t's, why I alone created the thread,

Hey Hanford - Close this thread .

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36996&forum=9&5

A thread that no one seemed to get or understand but was inspired by Lucas Vigor on two other separate occasions:

1st http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32665&forum=13&start=45&hilite=i%20quit%20smoking

and

2nd http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19390&forum=13&164

as well as you, Mr. Mutt: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32718&forum=13&vpost=461329&hilite=you%20moderate

Long live the Dance of the Tikimug Faires! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=208&forum=1&24

In the words of Woofmutt, who is after all, so hilarious - he really is... I give one of his earlier works:

I know that I am powerless to stop you and I doubt I could get you started either but let's see if buttons work.

Here is an ancyent and olde topic that had apparently been doing fine in the bottom depths of the General Tiki forum.

Much like the corpse of a would be hit man I once knew for 12 minutes this topic has bobbed to the surface of the General forum and is just floating around there. It belongs in Bilge.

There is this button sorta thing called U-Moderate (the "U" stands for "you") and you can select a forum where you think a topic should go and then...

YOU GET TO PUSH A BUTTON!

And somewhere an angel monkey gets it's wings.

At this point I was going to suggest you go to the thread "Woofmutt drop me a line off list" and U-moderate it to Bilge. But I don't think you can figure out how to do it.

And even if you could I doubt you have the guts.

There are a lot of buttons in the world and most of them go unpushed cuz the world is full of mindless candy ass whimps much like you who are afraid if they push the button they might mess up their $40 nail job.

I'd go push the button myself but I'm busy making Tuna Helper Tuna Tetrazzini while watching my video tapes of According To Jim and trying to pick what color of Banded Short Sleeve Mesh Polo shirts I want to buy from Lands' End to wear to the big Parrothead Weekend out on Vashon Island which is going to be awesome cuz there will be three different Jimmy Buffet tribute bands playing at the same friggin time on four different stages!

Oh man! If you don't go press that button that means you are totally like me (Do you like Rascal Flatts, too? So cool!) We could, like, totally be best friends!

TIKI JEEP!!!
Tiki Jeep: The machine to drive Tiki people crazy.

On 2010-10-10 14:50, woofmutt wrote:
Just to keep the cross pollination going...

in my usual highly hilarious manner:

because as I have already told you all many times: I'm hilarious.

Posted: 2002-09-19 08:54 am by Woofmutt

" I posted, "I like it quite a bit, though I don't understand it." Hilarious. As I recall it led to much chuckling, back slapping, and rounds of drinks bought for and by all. Or something like that.

Posted: 2008-10-30 08:38 am

This is my one thousandth post.

• Even more hilarious? I wrote this t-shirt and sold it to T-Shirt Hell. Well, my origianl line was I'd rather be snorting cocaine of a supermodel's belly. But apparently they know their market cuz their re-write of the shirt has been a big big seller. I got $300.

Posted: 2003-04-11 12:08 am

The pirate name site is hilarious. Thanks for the lead.

Yours,
-Dirty Tom Kidd-

(And I have no idea where any of that name came from as I chose the "bathe daily" option and don't even know anyone named Tom.)

Woofmutt:

Since 2002 and on no less than on 17 occasions, you used the word hilarious on the Tikicentral website threads.

I guess you are hilarious by your own reckoning. (sadly, I think you truly are).

W

OK, you're beginning to cross over into creepy/stalker territory. Or maybe you're already there. Either way I should let you know that I'm not very funny in person so there's no need to plan to lurk around my property.

On 2010-10-11 19:12, woofmutt wrote:
OK, you're beginning to cross over into creepy/stalker territory. Or maybe you're already there. Either way I should let you know that I'm not very funny in person so there's no need to plan to lurk around my property.

creepy/stalker territory? Hmmm, In the midwest, we call it fishing. Cast a line and see what bites.

Wait, what's that I see behind you, over there by the stove....

On 2010-10-11 19:12, woofmutt wrote:

OK, you're beginning to cross over into paranoia.

Or maybe You Are already there.

Either way I should let you know that I am very funny in person but please don't plan to lurk around my property.

I am armed and dangerous.

But not quite as hilarious.

TM

...and I thought I was the only one!

http://suckmybeatles.com/

http://www.areddy.net/beatles_suck/default.asp?page=hatemail

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-02-17 13:10 ]

J

Yup, I was never a big Beatles fan either. That's my personal taste.

Here's another unpopular view... I thought the Ramones were highly overrated,

(but I will give them credit for getting the party started in 1976).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-02-17 16:05 ]

"The Beatles?!? Bloody ya-ya music!"

"Ahh - they were ALL on drugs!"

"And get a haircut - you look like a girl!"

Authentic quotes from my dear old dad, who preferred Sinatra.

CN

TM

I think I would have gotten along with him! "Ya ya music"!....classic!

I think you probably would have too. Although he hated the Beatles, and used to bait me mercilessly when I was a kid, he was actually a very sociable guy, and was a real bar fly (out 6 nights a week, much to my mother's consternation). He was the sort of old guy John-O would run into on one of his dive bar expeditions.

The last time we went out for a drink, a young lady came up to me and asked for a dance, but I chickened out (50s rock'n'roll dancing - before my time). So my old man volunteered instead - he was around 70 at the time, but he had ALL the moves - he was great!

CN

W

Another reason the Beatles more or less suck: All the friggin cover versions of their songs. I really didn't think a damned thing about Blackbird when I first heard it sometime around 1975, I think even less of the one hundred and twenty-seven jazz covers of it that seem to be out there.

I was reminded how annoying covers of Beatles tunes are yesterday when I was loading Vikki Carr's greatest hits into the iTunes and noticed there was a cover of The Fool On The Hill on the album. I gave it a brief listen and decide Miss Carr's talents did not overcome the song's irritating qualities (she's no Sergio Mendes) and happily it is now not on my iPod.

(I just glanced over this whole thread again and realized it was mostly about bitching at each other and not about the Beatles. But I stand by my rant.)

(And for the record: I totally dig the hits of Wings. And Wonderful Christmas Time is one of my favorite pop Xmas tunes.)

TM

For some reason, wings never bothered me either.

AHHHHHH!

That's interesting because it seems the standard among Beatles fans is to loathe Wings and laud Lennon. (And of course everyone hates Ringo, the Jerry Lewis of the Beatles.)

The music of Wings (the hits, I can't recall if I've ever got into any album other than London Town) is honest pop music, more like the Beatles early stuff. It doesn't seem to have any pretension other than to be good pop.

W

"AHHHHHH!" -telescopes-

Some of the backup vocals to Twist and Shout. Very clever.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:29 ]

To quote my personal Lord & Savior, Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

I miss this thread, Lucas, and most of all, I miss you and woofmut going at it about stupid stuff that sounds great at midnight.

Dean Martin, Vic Damone and Allan Sherman

YouTube: I hate the Beatles

TM
  1. The year that music died!
TM

James Bond (from Goldfinger) is my favorite music critic

God save the Kinks!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies