Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Fredz Hedz by Freddimon and Tikiware by Pelee Jan

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

FRED, couple things,first happy hour this friday.if you want,we can load those 2 palm logs in one of my trucks and i could bring them over on sat.and #2 you gotta see the 7ft. WITCO i scored on monday. you have got to see this,its awsome. let me know. TD

T

Tiki David! That's bad form! - getting us all hot and wet about a 7 foot Witco? Please post some pictures of it at least!

Thanks

TG

drool drool

Yeah! I get to see the 7 ft. Witco live tonight! I'll help TD post some pix with his new camera if I can! Thanx Duddy, got the pattern idea from one of Benz's Tikis. Getting started this weekend on next one that is "bought" already. Using a mug from TBOT as a model. (See if you can figure out which one later). Benz, the wormy one was an easy carve, because I started with a 16 inch chain, then merlin 2 inch chain, 2 inch sanding discs on merlin, done. Used sanding sealer for the first time, too, then sparred it.

Here's the link to TD's seven footer... Enjoy!!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20416&forum=5&start=last&54

Here's a Merlin 2 inch chainsaw rough-out, about one foot tall, Tiki # 8...

Here's more; 2 inch chainsaw for another hour, then 2 inch rough sander; and worked around the piece today... can you find its mate in TBT?

that looks good man cant wait for more.
good stuff

Well... it's been a few months since my last update, so I hope this is good enough. No. 8 is done... The weather here has been anti-Tiki every time I have time and could work outside... until the last few weeks. Actually warm here for Turkey Day! Bummer was that this pear wood one split down the middle after I was done carving it. I was so distrought... that I had to save him. I caulked the cracks with clear Alex, and it kind of looks like wax in there. I hope that the eventual owner won't be too disappointed, and think it looks cool...

[ Edited by: Freddimon 2006-11-25 15:12 ]

F

Well, it's been a really long time for a carving post for me, and regrets for sure! First it was too cold to do it, now it's too hot! Well here is... what I've done so far this year:

Here's me on Pelee in March starting on a real rotten piece of black walnut.

Start of the rough-out when the motor on the rotary Merlin burned up, causing a three month delay on the project...

It morphed a bit do to more than expected dry rot...

It's getting there, almost done...

Ahh, a finished #9 Tiki!

My next victim, a far less rotty piece of "blonde" black walnut...

Double 15 minute cheapy-Tiki in rotten cottonwood just for fun and practice with my new Lancelot grinder...

B

Getting some Nice stuff Freddimon. Keep up the good work.

Thanx Benz! I'm very guilty of not following your or anyone's thread lately, but at least I'm carving....

Here are some pix of finished Tiki #10 and newest Tiki #11.

This one has a head full of corkscrew willow hair...

Here's #11 using a log from Tiki David's collection of Florida palms, a six footer and going full 'round. Using a 4 1/2 inch, 22 tooth lancelot circular chain saw w/grinder on this piece to start... Goggles and dust mask recommended!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 29, 2007 9:31 PM

Not sure how I missed this thread, you;ve got some really nice tikis mate. Very nice style to em.

These 2 are definitely my favourites though.

This one because of the great smooth texture and a nice contemporary look to him

and this'n because of the great texture and primitive look

Sweet!

B

WOW very good work.
How did you finish the tiki on top ? 2 different wax?
Love the chisel texture. Nice work.

Benjamin.

F

Thanx Hewey! Funny, they are both versions of something I found in the "Book of Tiki". They kind of look like the Tiki in the BOT pic with the husky bearded Tiki artist, chain saw in hand, carving a really huge, fat log. Don't have the "book" here or I'd give you the guy's name... sorry!
Benella, Thanx, too! The Tiki on top is well sanded between three coats of spar varnish, no wax at all. The chizzelled look on the other is more of a cop-out to sanding. I got real bummed because the back of this log was very rotty and I didn't want to spend a lot of time sanding in case it didn't hold up well. Looks good now, and I'm keeping him inside for protection...

OOh yeah! That's great stuff. That's Leroy shmaltz design at the top there. Ya gotta add that to AA's old post, "Post your "Leroy" here"!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=11934&forum=7&start=75&hilite=leroy

F

Surfintiki, they're up on the "Reloy" post! Thanx!

Here's an update of the latest (6 Ft.) Tiki. I bought a 14 tooth Lancelot to go in tandem with the 22 tooth and now I'm cuting through this palm like it was butter. I have to really watch that I don't go too far with this tool arrangement, it's so fast! OOPS.... Just realized the pix were out of focus so I'll take more tomorrow and post asap...

[ Edited by: Freddimon 2007-10-16 16:27 ]

OK, Here's some pix..... How do I fix this monster to a base?

nice job fred, is that palm?

Hi TD! Yes that's the log you brought back from FL and gave me!. Nice piece of lumber... Has a lot of seasoned quality to it... Really big and heavy... I need to figure out how to stand him up good so he doesn't kill someone!

B

definitely an Excellent tiki freddi! You gave him a Ton of sweet detail. You can drill holes up from the bottom, insert rebar or steel pipes or bars, and plant him into a cement slab, OR you coulddrill out a couple holes in his back large enough for a couple pieces of angle iron. Stick the angle iron out about 18 inches and stand him on a block against that tree and then drill corresponding holes in the tree. Then back him up to the tree so the angle irons slide into the holes, remove the block and he should be suspended off the ground held up by the tree. Of course you want the holes angled correctly and plumb so that he stands up straight. Also account for glue, cement, spikes, or some other memans to secure the angle irons.
Hope this helps and good luck
Great job.

fred, no,no no, never set your tiki into cement.10 times more no's for palm wood. call, me bring it over .i'll show you what to do. david. hey! by the way, how's the chair?

Thanx Benz! I was thinking of the cement version of mounting too. Sounds like TikiDavid doesn't like the idea, but this one is going to be kept indoors, so maybe it's OK to mount that way. How heavy a chunk of concrete to keep it steady / ratio? TD, what do you think?

S

Wow how did i miss your post? You have some really nice carvings
going on.

Yes he is looking top heavy

F

Wow, I've been away for a while, and I have a lot of Tiki viewing to do. I must catch up with all my fave idols on TC, and I mean the carvers, and the work they do!!!

I'm about 6-2, so this is easily the biggest yet for me. This stump is of the same wood they use for baseball bats. It was so sinuey that I had to stop last year when it was freshly de-barked and let it age... hoping it would be cuttable with any type of chain saw. I was happy to find I was right about that one! Used a double Lancelot/grinder to do this so far.

So here's what I'm working on now:

TD

bump it

S

Great Job on the big sucker!
Something to enjoy for the rest of your life
and no-one can take it easily at-least.

F

Thanx TikiDavid... I'm bumping things up big, Aye? Seeksurf, it's already taken 'cause it's in my sis' back yard... She really loves it too! More pix coming, it's almost done on the carving and sanding now...

F

Sanding, more sanding and getting dusty!

That's what I'm talkin about Freddimon!! Lookin great.

standing ovation! that is one killlerrr moai dude!

B

Superb moai. I love the grain.

Benjamin.

Thanx tikifreak! This is my greatest BIGGEST so far! Tikithomas thanx for the S.O.! I'm lucky to be still standing after this one myself! Benella, thanx, too. Check out the grain now... sanding done and a little eye stain now...

Here's the finished pix...

Finally... Here's # 11 from last summer... Finished almost... Stained and then varnished once...

B

Woah, Freddi! The MOAI finished up Great and the grain really Pops with the finish. Excellent piece there and THEN along comes # 11, More WOW's, Cool stuf! Find some MORE of those old Photos.:P

First Tiki in 8 years! Rough out at this point. Made it into a lamp. Pix coming...

[ Edited by: Freddimon 2016-08-26 09:45 ]

[ Edited by: freddimon 2016-08-26 11:46 ]

Lamped out tiki!
Not sure how to turn pix 90!

Visit http://www.fredmunkachy.com, Baynightscaping.com, clevelandrainbarrel.com

[ Edited by: Freddimon 2016-08-29 14:41 ]

Next Tiki underway!

Darkened up a bit!

Pages: 1 2 88 replies