Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

R

On 2007-12-19 15:22, GROG wrote:

"It's like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-12-19 15:23 ]

You poop head Grog! I just realized what you did to mah Koala! :lol: you so funneh!

little lost tiki......I hope I dont make myself sound like too much of a fan boy...but I totally dig the primitive style of your work....very very cool....I wish I could make it to the show....

Ken,

"Search for the King" is a beautiful piece! I love the glowing edgee to the trees! Rather mystical, I must say.

Sorry I'm missing out of the thrill of the Three Kings show! What a cool line up!

Aloha, Mele Kalikimaka and A Hui Ho Ho Ho!

Meheadhunter-Thank you Sir! Hearing from the fellow brotherhood of Artists always recharges the battery and fills the inspiration tanks!Hope i can do the same for you.And we're sorry you couldn't make the show,it was a blast and an incredible piece of SoCal History...Closing receptions on the 5th of January,last chance!
Brad!
Thanks! I actually put that piece up in the 3 kings show,but it has such a shimmering silence that it just recessed into the wall of the gallery (despite it's size...)
Very strange...I'm glad you picked up on the vibe!
Been talking to the owner of the gallery about a possible group show with some biggies...
and your name was first on the list!
Maybe we can force you over here again!

Well,haven't had much time for Tiki with the
post-3 kings show and work/holidays,buuuuuuuut...
i do have a lil somethin for ya...
I've been in the :lol: bad habit :lol: of hand-making cards
for friends and family for the past few years
and here's the batch of tiki ones i thought you'd enjoy checking out!
sorry I've been such a slacker with posting lately....
Big and beautiful things will be born aplenty in 08
i promise you that!
First Batch....

Second Batch...

what i do is get a BIG piece of Arches Cold-press and go crazy crackhead on it with ink!
then i began to cut out abstracted "Tiki" ala WITCO/Modern abstraction...After that i began to apply layers of pen,sometimes brushing it against the edges to get a burnt look.of delineating a nose and an eye,letting the shape dictate the design a bit...Well, anyways,
it was a fun little project and you all got to check out 45 Newly Born Tikis! And it gave me a bit of a mental break...seeing these weren't for anyone special but friends and family, :lol: I thought i could just be damned with the rules and play and learn...and it seemed to work..
a couple really ugly ones,but a few bright shiners too!

as you can see i used reg pens,brush pens,marker,brushes,you name it!

the flowey background added a nice ground to these...

some i even added wood textures!

i LUVS the little pseudo PNG guy in the upper right! Who's getting him? i Dunno!

What's up with this cat's legs?

Cheggout the Frankenstein lookin one on the right!

Here's a fun group!

little sad boy bottom left....

Thanks fer visiting and
have a Merry Christmas!

Those are really REALLY fantastic!!!!! I hope you are scanning them!!!!! I've been just staring at them and scrolling and scrolling thru them! GREAT WORK!!!!! Very tiki modern abstract cartoony kitsch yet timeless FINE ART!!!!

R

Whoa! :o!

Kinny those are so freakin' cute and cool!

That must've been fun to just sit down and go wild with your imagination :D!

What a nice way to brighten friends and family holiday wiff home-made ruzic cards! :lol:

:D awesome!

And Kin you deserve a break, when you get back to makin' art it'll be rawkin crazeh! :D

Happeh Christmas!!! :drink:

Very Fun!! Must have been a blast to do, and a great way to experiment with ideas!!!

Hello and thanks for the happytalk Sneaks,ravers,and Meheadhunter!
it was a blast makin em!
well....actually got 2 days of painting in and a little bit here and there during the vacation...
not as much as I would have liked,but....that's always the case!
Got some Arches watercolor paper for Christmas,so i finished one....
"Swamp and Hut"
ink/Bleach/Sharpie on Watercolor paper

and half-finished this one....
working title...."the Battle"
ink and sea salt on watercolor paper

this one was reeeeal dark til i squirted some water on it
(after the ink and Sea salt,of course) and it got light
with a neat-o texture in the background...
think I'll add some tapa-ish elements to it for the background...

also got some more work done on "the Journey" the birth canvas...

did a bunch of baby face studies and settled on this one...

worked over the clouds and huts some more.....

also made the sky bluer and cooler-more relaxing-for the Heaven area...

did a lil more lighting on the boat,having it reflect some of the water below it...

and finally becoming satisfied with the transparency approach..

Next up...transparency and rain and water! Exciting,huh?
And since it was Christmas,I made the wife a nativity drawing...
with a South Seas style manger!
So it's kinda tiki,eh?
"the Nativity" ink/Sea Salt/Bleach/Sharpie on Watercolor paper

Here's God with the Holy Spirit dove and the star...

here's some angels,who i modeled more like a mix between seraphim and traditional angel...
Plus,i was too lazy to picture a multitude of angels filling the skies
so i made em big and let the stars in the sky reflect the multitudes of the heavenly host...
Closer.....

Here's the whole manger...Bamboo Ben style!

and here's the lower left,beneath the enormous angel's wings
you can see the 3 Wise men and shepards wandering over..

and more shepards here on the left....

Well, Merry Christmas again friends!
and a Happy New Year!!!!
Don't Drink and Drive!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-12-31 19:13 ]

Fantastic! Nice batch of stuff, LLT! Love the nativity a lot! Most excellent!

R

Happeh New Year Kin!

And those new ink drawings are fabulous!
I love it and the Journey painting is turning out great! Especially the transparency that is turning out awesome! I like the subtle white outlining around the oar's man!

Can't wait to see this complete!

RAWK ON HARD IN '08!!! YAAAAAAY!!!

:D

Groovy nativity! I like the sea salt one too. The Birth painting is getting better and better. The transparent elements and opaque elements are contrasting more with the outlines and the baby blue looks great.

Ken,

The journey paintings are really creating a beautiful story! Inspirational, and rather myth-like! I really dig your Polynesian story illustrations!

Group show - with you? Anytime!

Happy new year!

Thanks you pagan,ravers,and brad!
Brad-I'll make that group show happen!
Not much time to chat,seeing as this posting is cutting into my pre-show naptime!
Brad...Here's a concept i had for the "Death" canvas on that Journey narrative...Sort of a take on Bocklin's Isle of the dead and those old catholic saved/damned souls prints (turn of the century)

tried a TikiShark,underpainting/layered vibe with acrylic washes for these next two...
"Orongo Chief" 14x14 acrylic and paintpen on canvas
i like this one...it has a quiet softness to it...

detail...

headshot....

handy!

"Cannibals and Idol"14x14 acrylic and paintpen on canvas
i popped it up a notch with the blue...
i only used paintpen on the outlines-
as with the above one too!

details....

mo details....

i love this skull!

shield...

nom nom nom....

and finally one non-tiki,but kinda trippy...
Hope you like it!
"Throne"14x14 acrylic and paintpen and puffpaint on canvas

here's one of the angelic fellars....

Here's lookin at you Ohana!

Gotta go! naptime!
Oops!
Almost forgot this piece!
finally finished it!
"the Battle" ink on paper

DETAIL!

OKAY! seriously...naptime NOW!
Ciao Ohana!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-01-05 15:51 ]

Very nice.....I really like Cannibals and Idol, and really dig the outlines not being black.....it really adds a nice effect to your paintings....keep up the great work...

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Looks like a fancy mailbox and the package was a skull delivery.

R

Very nice!!!

I like the choice of colors for the "Orongo Chief" piece, very calm. I really dig the background too especially that volcano in the distance.

I really like the "Cannibals and Idol" paintin too! especially the little guys on the bottom about to NOMNOMNOM the skulls!

That "Throne" piece is interesting, especially the last close up pic of the eye, seems sort of 3D-ish round the eye lid and iris, is it just the way the photo was taken or can you feel the texture around it? Did I make sense? :lol:

Also, great show last nite!
Bob Marley's Mangina and Bunny-Foo-Foo with girl will live on as "strange" highlights of that night!

Luigi and Mi had a great time too!

:D KEEP ON RAWKIN! :D

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 1:15 PM

SMOKIN NEW STUFF!!!

Little Bunny Foo Foo? Please let Babalu see!

AAAAAALOOOOOHAAAAAAA Gang!
Hope you've all been well...
Still recovering from the 3 kings show...
been starting to get revved up a bit..
slowly but surely....
Meheadhunter-Mahalos Sir! sometimes a brown or an indigo really sets the piece back a little...
Thanks for noticing!
teaKEY-i would love one of those mailboxes!,but only if Crazy al carves it!
ravenne-Thank you madame!I'd like to do some more "old-timey" portraits of different chiefs in the soft colors and style...It does give it a calm sense of the regal...and as for the Cannibals and Idol's NOMNOM fellows,i have a few more below! And on the throne piece, as with other paintings, i sometimes add that fabric puffpaint to give it a lil bit of dimension! i bet your animator's eye picked up those highlights!
and thanks for bringing the crew down to the shows,glad y'all enjoyed yourselves!
Babs-Thanks man! Just saw your new bunnytiki...rad! and the carrot motif is SPOT-ON!
I'm stoked to have such artistical geniuses as yourself to call friend!
Alrighty....whilst pondering the Journey piece,i decided to take a momentary diversion and spec out the year in terms of shows/events and how many pieces i'm gonna have to cough up,tiki and otherwise....
man i need to quit this day job! but i digress.....
Anyways, there's a Surf Show coming up in March that bigToe is organizing so i began to contemplate
doing another surfboard...i got a couple of medium sized ones at the studio,but the wahine reminded me
of one our landlord said i could have to paint on...it was buried in the shrubbery behind the palm and banana tree....covered in snails! i love the suction as you pull em off....i always do it slowly, like a band-aid,then fling em into the neighbor's yard.....anyways, after pulling it out of the brush and washing it off with the garden hose,it got the once-over....not bad-no fins-good..i can wall hang it....it's 7 feet tall too!
What a perfect canvas1 There's 2 dings/gashes on the side and back, but i think i'm gonna just fill it with acrylic and smooth it over cake frosting style! mmmmmmmm!
Anyways, here's some studies for it..

Here's the "shield tree" one......
....i wanna make it real lush with lots of leaves and maybe some plumeria in there!

MIDDLE
i love this big-mouthed guy!

BOTTOM

and the other concept was to incorporate a little bit of surf...
i know,i know, the surfboard itself validates it's participation in the show
but just to go that extra mile.....i decided to do 3 'portholes"
tying it back to my first painted mug "the tiki of inspiration" and also back to the side decals of my
TikiFarm KAKAKA mug with a volcano and a waterfall-opposing elements and both valid ways to
describe the creative process....
Volcano! Run!

MIDDLE
this one has just a calm secret surf spot kind of vibe.....

BOTTOM
Singed by the volcano? Take a cool dip in the waterfall!

and as promised.....
NOMNOMNOM!

Here's the original ballpoint/ink wash sketchbook entry for the porthole tiki

Two More....

Here's an inkwash/ink drawing of what i envision a South Seas angel to look like!

Also, kinda finished that woodburned Maori face guy....

and i just splashed this around yesterday....I'm thinking of doing some kind of volcano piece out of this!

and , as i mentioned before....about planning for upcoming shows...
there's a Conspiratorial/End Times show (no title/show name yet)
in April,around the same time as the TikiFarm parking lot sale,so
i got an early start with this piece so far...
BE WARNED! THE FOLLOWING PIECE IS NOT TIKI!
So, if you're not into it, please....carry on!
"Saint Surveillance"
I had two other versions of him that sold,and wanted to try a more
stern figure,to echo these times....

Here's his power source...

Here's his mighty bionic eye telescope to spy on the populace...

and i'll close off today's post with the face of Saint Surveillance..
i like how his helmet is red...an allusion to the warlike nature of
this current administration....in my insightful artist opinion...

I like how there's a tad of sympathy on his face...
maybe he feels sorry for the sheep...
goodnight all and thanks for poppin by!
Next time I'll make KWAWFEE!!!!:lol:

Hey Ken-

I love that Orongo chief - looks like it could be done as an engraving as well and put on money! All of the graceful detail is beautiful and really works. That Saint Surveillance is a scream too! Is that like a Brownie Hawkeye camera around his neck? Lots of cool surprises to find in that piece - like watching a good movie and noticing something different with every viewing.

Very cool!

Gee Whiz! Thanks Sam!
Maybe some Easter Island dollars with moai and Orongo on each side! I'd rather see your alien theremin player on a bill! Sometimes just working wet and methodical can bring about a nice serene feel!thanks for the props!
Also glad you liked the Saint Surveillance...
And that isn't a Brownie Hawkeye camera..it's just a camera from my head with a little bit of Jack Kirby Fantastic Four machinery-inspired parts...
here's the 2 earlier versions I had mentioned earlier...
i miss them both! :(
I dig the Mind Control microwave tower in this one!

Vote for Change!
I'll accept quarters and half dollars...

B

Dang LLT!

The board is going to be a slam dunk winner for sure, but this "Saints of Surveillance" series that you dipping into is an over the left field wall, grand slam home run! The content is huge dude! It reads like a novel to me. High Art at it's best.

Whomever got this painting stole it for sure...It's got to be one of my all time favs of yours!

R

Wow Kin! Sweet new pieces!

I like the studies you're doing for the surfboard; so much detail going on--the one with the big :o mouth, "shield tree", kinda reminds me of something out of "Never Ending Story", like a background character. I love the NOMNOMNOM guys! they so crazy lookin' :lol:

The colors that you splashed is cool; the blending is purdy!

And I really like the "Saint Surveillance" piece! It's refreshing to see you post some non-tiki stuff!

Keep on Rawkin!!! :D

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2008 1:19 PM

Ken, your creative obsession is really enriching the Tiki revival with a totally unique and singular perspective. Talk about "Horror Vacui"! In your work I see parallels to the curvilinear, spiraling intricateness of Maori panels, and in the geometric repetition of Tiki's likeness in Marquesan patterns:

As Paul Gauguin remarked about the Marquesan artifacts he saw after relocating there from Tahiti: “The basis of this art is the human body or face. The face especially. You’re astonished to find a face where you thought there was a strange geometrical figure. Always the same thing and yet never the same thing.”< (from "Tiki Modern" )

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-16 13:27 ]

B

PS: I can't stop from coming back here through out the day today...

The best way to describe it, I guess, is if Giotto and Peter Max decided to eat some mushrooms, break out the corn oil, and roll out the plastic together. The Saints goes beyond a political statement for me.

I think Big Bro nailed it best on the tiki revival side..."unique and singular perspective". Yup-Yup!

Aloha Friends!
wow! what a delightful surprise to hear from such esteemed company!
bigbrotiki-Thank you so much for your thoughts about the work! The thing i love so much about this community is the diversity of approaches to tiki that a lot of the artists take! Just as in tiki's heyday,there's a lot of inspired people out there and it really feels like a bona-fide revival! it was so great meeting you at Oasis,and finally got a copy of Tiki Modern,which is nothing short of a delight to read and get lost in!
As for the Horror Vacui,There are such solid geometric elements to a tiki face or body or headdress,that they just beg to be filled...Between the enchanted tiki room in Disneyworld,and my grandfather's habit of accumulating paintings,commemorative plates,books,figurines,beer steins,etc.... I think the lushness and clutter of those two places have always seeped into the work....Just as Gauguin notices the faces as "Always the same thing and yet never the same thing." the reason for all the shading and subtle asymmetrical stances of the characters is to make them each a unique individual and it gives them a narrative...a life kinda... well, i blabber enough! Thank you again for your two books and everything else YOU give that enriches the tiki community!
Babalu-Thanks Rick! Glad this other aspect of the work gets the grey matter working!These are interesting times indeed and it's part of our job as artists to record our observations of our world...
Giotto and Peter Max... :lol:
ravers-I agree! The Shield tree may work it's way into that Children's book i'll finish 2045! What is it with you people and Saint Surveillance? Vote Ron Paul before it really happens!
This is not a political endorsement....
Paipo-most excellent!
Well..
I did another 2 7 foot Surfboard studies last night whilst hangin in the living room.... There's a lotta little fun characters in these two as well!

Here's the top of the one on the left...
Check out the two chanters!
oogaoogaoogaboogabingabooga!

Nothing like some war shield choppers!

Can't wait to see if teaKs tries to count the tikis in these!

Second one!
I love this bugeye guy holding up a head that didn't quite shrink, with his two buddies holding up his arms...or are they praying? hmmmm

i like these little gimpyhands....
and the "moutheyes" near the bottom...

I like the indifferent look of the middle guy!

closeup of Bugeye and pals....this should be a separate painting...

and a blowup of the chanters....

back to the Studio!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 17, 2008 3:48 AM

Wow man! :D I dont check in for a couple days and you've got some sweet art happening! Nice work mate, cant wait to watch the surfboars progress. Want to come over and paint my kayak?

ST

It's like your making tiki fractals.

Yeah, Fractikis!

I think I see fish like shapes in there, and maybe sea snake shapes too. Quite amazing!

Hey Kidz!
hewey-Thank you Sir for visiting so often!The surfboard is looming over the horizon....
just a matter of nailing the final design....would love to come over and paint your kayak...
If i can sell this new one, i just might be able to afford to do that! :) Been re-reading that
PNG Myths book you sent me a while back and i can feel some pieces gurgling into shape
in the near future....
Surftiki-Tiki fractals? :lol:
Not quite that intricate,but i'm workin towards it!
Brad-There are a couple of things in there,intentional and unintentional...
a lot of it derives from making the initial shapes,then seeing what's in there....
The exercise of cutting out shapes and reverse-engineering tikis into them
for my christmas cards has really helped!
quite amazing,you say?
about as amazing as the floor and roof boards on your new painting! :)
Weeeeeeeeeeeell.....
'member on my previous post where i mentioned....
"closeup of Bugeye and pals....this should be a separate painting..."

Well, i happened to have a moldy old cutting board that needed
some TLC and a makeover so.....
May i introduce...
"the Head that Would Not Shrink" gouache on wood

I imagine the middle guy,after a successful battle,
acquired a victim,and after several unsuccessful attempts to shrink
said victim's head,he decides to parade about the village with his
trophy....His two assistants are holding up his arms,praying,or
grabbing at the gigantic food source!
TOP detail

BOTTOM detail

Here's an extry close detail of the cannibal,to give you a feel
for the paint on the gessoed wood...

Also decided to shoot the 7 foot surfboard i will be painting soon..

that's me dog Phoebe saying, "Aloha TC Ohana!"

We have some banana trees around the property,and their
flowers are just so cool and alien-lookin i just hadda share em!
Those are lil' bananers in there!

If i was an alien,this is what my spaceship would like!

Have a Great day!

R

Just as I was replying to yer previous post, you go ahead and make anudder!

I was remarking how much I like the studies you are doing for the surf boards!

Especially that lil guy, cause he sticks out from the rest.

And you made him a separate piece which turned out coolio!
The lil nomnom guys are adorable!
And that lil dude in the middle looks like he can be a cool animated character!

Awesome job!

That banana tree rawks! So trippy lookin, I can see where it influenced some pieces :lol:

And your doggie is sooooo cuuute! Reminds me of the dog my aunt has in Bolivia!

Keep on rawkin dat art! :D

You knocked out the (2) surfboard studies in one night? Incredible!

"the Head that Would Not Shrink" is super!

Your attention to detail is stupefying! Mindblowing!!! :o

sandz

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 19, 2008 5:23 PM

On 2008-01-19 14:58, little lost tiki wrote:
If i was an alien,this is what my spaceship would like!

What, an RV? :lol:

Your brain must always be on overtime!!! An imagination such as yours is such a blessing. Fabulous...Fabulous...Fabulous. :)

dem Nanner buds always remind me of dis......

Kenster,
Wow, love that head that would not shrink piece!
Another great idea and great execution.

T

Kin can, That last pic is da bomb. One of your best in a few. I like the little belly on that guy. But the head is the best part. Sorta like a football. But reminds me of the part in Nightmare Before Christmas were they are making Christmas and turn that old rat into a delightful new hat, which happens to be a bat. word

I dig the unshrunken head, Ken... There's lots of character to that guy!

And I'm digging the color choices! (...and your space ship!)

C

Uuuh, nice! i like the Head that Would Not Shrink a lot! Congrats!
Hi Phoebe :) !
Hi little cute bananas!
I thought i saw an ufo, flying by, with that shape, I didn't knew it was you!! Hi LLT flying by :)

Greetings friends!
Kind of a Burnout week this session,but sometimes turning the mind off can have its advantages and reveal things hidden that deep thought cannot uncover....
But more of that in a minute....
ravers! Great seeing ya at Bai's birthday!And that cake was Yummy!
I'll be buying some BONDO for the surfboard pretty soon, so you'll be able to see the surfboard come to life! pieces for that Surf Show are due the first of March,so i gots to get Pumpin on it!
"the Head that Would Not Shrink" turned out pretty nice...i like how it combined a narrative with a symmetrical/design focused composition..that little guy would be cute all animated! Call me after you graduate and we can bring him to life!
Thank you!
Phoebe and my nanner trees thank you as well!
sandz-mahalos! those studies are easier than they look! Once the ink background on the paper dries, i just 1) sketch out the design with a water-soluble pencil and ink over or 2) just go for it and pay no mind to symmetry or straightness of lines or accuracy of shapes....depends on the mood...
The detail comes from a desire to bring the sketch to life,to make it ready to pop off the page...
I like it to anyone working on something they love or studying a subject near to their heart...if the passion is there,it never gets old! Thanks again for the kudos!
hewey-the RV is for terrain..the spaceship is for getting to that terrain...
Vampiress-yup...the brain is always on overtime..which is good for art, but bad for all the regular stuff,like human contact and simple daily chores...the old blessing/curse dilemma.....the introspection/examination/and encryption of mundane things never stops during the day (which is why i love naps!)....Friends see some trash in an alley-i see a complete narrative,piecing together the life of the product/its manufacturing-purpose-etc./plus the psychology of the consumer/plus its context discarded in an alley...you get the picture...
some days are better than others....
love your Shrunken Head by the way!
Ben-totally! the leaves have a squishy fleshy feel to them....ew.
Swampfire-Thanks Doug!We aims to please! Can't wait til you get your butt out to Cali to get yo MACK on! :)
teaKs-mahalos man! sometimes the good ones are a-born in less than a week...I imagine if his two hungry friends don't devour it, that it would make a great football for the village!
Sam and Brad-Thanks you Guys! You guys and a bunch of other TC artists and carvers keep the bar high and always supply a constant source of inspiration and amazement! i hope i can do the same for y'all! :)
Clarita!
Gracias mi amiga! Glad the painting,phoebe ,and nanners could bring a smile across your face! I'll fly by sometime and give you a ride to one of our Tiki Events!
ZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOM!
Phoebe sez "WOOF!"
Well, this week, i wasn't feeling very "thinky" but i had an itchin to paint and still have a bunch of 14x14 canvases needing some TLC,sooooooo....
I decided to doodle up some Tiki mandalas,playing with the shapes and cramming tikis into compact spaces....
Here's some of my quick studies...
These first two you'll see fully developed below...
These were done very fast by slapping some sepia ink down and then just drawing it in....i tried to make faces within faces on some of these...
so be prepared to TRIP OUT!

This first one i applied ink and tissue paper onto the gessoed canvas to give it a fadey distressed,spacey feel...
then i went over and drew in the blackline with my sumi brush ink pen/blended the areas i wanted blended/and then, when dried,applied ink here and thereto give it some depth.....and then i sealed it and went over it with paintpen-popping out the details i wanted to enhance.....
Here it is! "Tiki Mandala"

and yes, i know that Tikis and a drawing meant to enlighten monks (after weeks of meditation and contemplation) have nothing really to do with it other....I have found sometimes,when viewing Primitive/Polynesian artifacts,that there is a certain amount of symmetry/hidden figures and faces/and often, a spiritual context to them....so sue me! :lol:
Anyways, working on these was fun because i could just turn my head off and draw,and not have to worry about a narrative,just shapes and lighting....
Here's some details...

Here's a piece on paper,a study for my "Tiki Surf Mandala" for the upcoming Surf Show in March....
This one also got the tissue paper/ink treatment/then just ink brush pen/some blending with water/then lighting and shadows with a finepoint sharpie....

Detail!

with the study out of the way, i decided to apply a ground of olive/brown to the gesso to give it a warm undertone....
then i sketched it out with a water soluble pencil and busted out the gouache for the rest of it.....
i like how the wave turned out in the middle!

ALSO...if you folks haven't gotten one yet,maybe you should wander over to Marketplace
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27155&forum=12&1 and get yourself a Cannibal King tee before they all run out!
I highly recommend this product and it carries the LLT Seal of Approval!
if that means anything....

well, to quote Bora-Boris..."that's all i got!"
Later Dudes!
Shaka Bra!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
or your head won't shrink and you'll
need your friends to help you carry it around!!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-01-28 11:51 ]

Beautiful Ken! Thanks for lifting my day wayyyy up high!
Cheers

Ken, the wave in the middle - brilliant! It's psychedelic religious/tiki/surf art!

ARRSOME! Totally into your surfin', tiki, tribal religionification', mandalatin' ting ting going down in the da jungle sir.

sprack on Brah!
Chongolio

B

The Tiki angels blessing the wave is mondo tight master K...

Dude, we should work out an art trade together sometime??

DRIVE BY ART POSTING!
"the Mock Battle" ink and sharpie on paper

GOTTA GO!
Aloooooooooooooha!

R

Awesome Kiiin!

I likes the random drive-by art, :lol:

But yeah the Tiki Mandela looks great, I loooove the ocean in the middle!

Keep pumpin more art work man!

RAWK!!! :D

P

Trip owt indeed...I had some rockin psychedelic sitar music playing while I was scrolling through that lot and it was like a religious experience! How on earth did this sit here for 3 days without me noticing it? When I got to the study for the surf mandala I'm thinking "this is some pretty good stuff right here" cause you know I like ink drawings, then I get to the painting...EEEEEGAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies