Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 9:54 AM

Meanwhile, back at the ZIPFIZZ production facilities, GROG is busy making up a new batch for shipment.

How Ironic that GROG make Piss for ZIPFIZZ
and Crap for the Simpsons....
:lol:
you got a great racket going there!
No wonder you haven't had time to create much Tiki Art...
Hope your ankle heals all disfigured....

Okaaay..
Figgered I'd throw the jollies in a separate post.....
(see above...the Secret of ZIPFIZZ!)

raves-thank yeh...That was at the end of the night after a 10 hour paint jag at the Home /garage studio...
at least i did my hair for the shot.... :lol: the stars were an unwary addition,but made the piece SPACIER!

Jeff-Thanks man!Always good to see the stalkers on a regular basis.... :lol:
i wanna watch your head explode when you see this thing in person!

Myke-Aloha! Haven't done prints in awhile..too busy/too inspired/too lazy i guess....

Squid suggested i get small prints done and call it the "Five Dollah Mandala"
but i'd rather go bigger-so they might be some other "dollah" figure....
If i do , I'd like to do the Black as a flocked velvet......Thanks for the Luv! :)

Brad Howland-the Johhnny Cash voice horseshoe crab genius of Mayberry by the Sea!
I guess rubbing elbows with all you East coasters was actually inspiring!

TikiTres-YEEEEHAW! Flippy tricks! Mahalos!
That reminds me....
Hey Kids-bring your kaleidoscopes to the show for some real MIND-BLOWING ACTION!

raves-it's deep-SEATED love i have for GROG....
"deep seeded" just brings horrible pictures to my brain....
well, actually, they both do....
NEXT SUBJECT!

Chongo-Glad i could stimulate the over-stimulated!
We miss you on the Mainland!

BigToe-you nailed it! GROG also bitter because he full of FIZZ and Vinegar! :lol:
can't believe you'd sell a brother up the river for a nickel...
at least it has to be shiny!

Benz-Thank you so much sir!
With all the great minds/approaches/angles all the great artists here possess
One can't help but get inspired...
and one thing always leads to another and so-on...
And before you know it, the filter breaks and it all comes pouring out in 7-8 drawings...
Like C'Al said, I'm just a scribbler...it's you carvers who make creations you can touch and hold!
Painters are merely illusionists....fooling the eye with little painterly tricks.....
(please keep that to yourself,folks-i'd like to turn this charade into a career someday..)
Glad you like the battling Hei-Tikis...they always look so manic with the wide eyes and the bird/reptilian features
and the tongue lolling out....they must look that was 'cause they was a scrappin! :lol:
it made sense at the time!
What I'd like to say to you is a quote from a dear friend...
"Keep doing whatever it is how ever you do it for whoever you do it for as long as it takes for it all to be done, then start on another one. "
right back atcha!

Tom-i guess the explosion of Tiki Happiness from meetin y'all at Hukilau spilled over!

Anyways, worked on some non-tiki stuff for a show next year (studies and such)
But did work out this abstract piece....
"the Ambush"

That's it for now-time to Work!

WHOA! looks awsome!!
really really really great!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 2:25 PM

Fork out the $$$$, then. Artists don't survive on just praise. (keeding)

When it's artists complimenting other artists, it just becomes one big circle jerk.

Ruzic sux.

GT

WOW-WEE! Awsome Work Kinny!

H

Ambush is good.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 11, 2008 4:18 AM

This one reminds me of Mexican sugar skulls

The eye of the plumeria is an awesome piece mate, very nice! I think the blacking out really finished it off, must have taken some balls to paint it in though!

"Cave of the Spirits" inspired by a PNG folktale provided by our very own Hewey

Great to see you using it for the power of good and not evil my freind :D

DUDDY
GOGO
hiltiki
Thanks a lot for all the nice things y'all say...
unlike Ernie....
sigh.......
if any artist is doing this just for the $$$
(and not the joy of creating and investigating and sharing...)
then they are fools!
hewey-i think it's the motif around the eyes and the folksy colors that bring that to mind...
did Clysdalle put you up to that question? :)
i have some clearer Guardians of the plumeria shots below.... crispier and juicier!
and thanks again for that PNG book! INSPIRING!

First off....
please come and see this Awesome Collection of Tiki Art
on Saturday July 19th from 7-ish to Midnight-ish
440 east 17th st. Costa Mesa CA.......

Here's a clearer shot of the Mandala!

How it's gonna be hung...

and a couple of zoom-ins!

also did some work on the 2nd "Journey" canvas...

affixing a club to the side of the boat...

more lighting on the oar...

started carving his wooden shield

little more developing of the prow..

also the loincloth and some scroll of hidden knowledge

and a lil bit on the hair and face...

Slow and steady wins the race on this one!

here's some more shots of the SUPER SECRET HIGHLY CLASSIFIED
art for that tiki mag show!
Aren't you Luckys?

That's it for now and probably til after the reception of the Freakout! next week!
hope to see y'all there!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom

GIMME!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-07-15 11:09 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 13, 2008 8:06 PM

Can the rest of you gloss over this post?
It's specifically for Ernie....

We now resume our regularly scheduled thread.....

sorry about that slight outburst...
kids...
Got some new drawings to show y'all...
first-a real scan of the HUNGRY BROTHERS...
makes the colors richer...

then i started doing some Polynesian tiki meets Sci-Fi
for the Tiki island lands on planet Rooth concept...
did 6 pages of sketchbook drawins-but haven't scanned em yet...
soon...soon....

"Exploration party"
the poor little bird-of-paradise inhabitants are FREAKED! :lol:

and here's a robot inspired by a Solomon Islands paddle!

and lastly...
"Tikis from beyond the Stars"

Bye now! Sell Later!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom

GIMME!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-07-15 10:01 ]

R

Wow! Soooo cuuuuuute!!!!

I love the Hungry Brothers piece still :D

Rawkin wittle drawing, despite what grumpy'ole Groggy says!

aaaaaaaaaw fergit GROG!
he's just frustrated and lazy....
Thanks for pickin up on the Happy vibe of these pieces....
they were really fun to do!
Maybe I'll draw some more this week at the studio...
it's just that the paintings get jealous of the drawings
and i have to talk both parties down....
Well, as i explained earlier....
I'm working on figgering out some of the characters for the TIKI ISLAND LANDS ON PLANET ROOTH concept for the TIKI MAG show!
these are all gleaned from my sketchbook so a lot of em are very rough....
Hopefully, this will give you some insight into how one of them crazy paintings is a Born!

robot/tiki sketches

i figured Planet Rooth would be populated by creatures that evolved from Tropical plants...
so the Bird of Paradise natives were a shoe-in!

then i just started looking at tropical plants and imagining how they would evolve....

i tried to mix some Polynesian Design/Art motifs into the mix to Tiki-fy it....

Here's some more...
the one on the bottom left is loosely based on a certain orchid....
man! Earth has weird enough plants and Wonders!

no planet would be complete without a mobile cannibalistic Hibiscus! :lol:

Here's an alien tree with a Hei-Tiki-ish lizard hunting for food...

and here's a landscape with a spooky fang-toothed tree!

That's it for today....
Back to thinkin.....

Ken, you've gone to a new level, my man - a level so far out the rest of us can't even see it from here.

I hope Psychodelic comes back, you'll be sitting front and center!

Excellent stuff Ken!!!!! I LOVE the Sgt. Pepper piece.... forget Aleister Crowley on the original, This one has CHARLES NELSON REILLY!!!!!!!!! Those drawings are beautiful and intricate - just how a Kinny drawing should be! :)

Ken,
Great work on the Robo SOLOMONsters! brings visions of Tron and boom boxes to mind as well, perhaps that is what they eat??

The mandala is masterful, all the things we like about your work are present, and yet the black (almost negative space) give the eyes just a wee bit of rest. I like the super saturated detail next to the black. Without the stars and flowers was just as good (imho) opinion as well.

PS
Swallowing is best lest ye leave a mess upon thine blue dress leading to an inquest among congress at the behest of the blessed evangelical zest ending in presidential duress and the failure of the truth test!

Werd!
S
T

B

Man Kinney, you be one Crazy mofo. Just when I was loving this planet rooth I see this tree that gave me nightmares about carving wood. Man that tree would carve back,, talk about Tiki bites, he would give you Tree Bites. (shudder!)
Un-godly stuff sir!

I vote for the Bird of Paradise natives battling a fanged tree that has captured a Hei-Tiki-ish lizard.

Aloha friends!
Happy Tiki Freakout Day y'all!
shows like this make all the
brain-battering and paint slingin
fade away!
YAY!

Robb-Thank you Sir!
"Psycho-delic"? :lol:
Seeing your work on a freshly painted gallery wall was the hi-light of hanging the show on Tuesday!
i really looked and looked at the gentle waves lapping the shore on that Moai piece...
That's Freakin NEXT LEVEL! That's FREAKIN' GAME OVER!

Sam! Stoked you're a part of the FREAKOUT as well! The way you blend,as well as the crispness of your type
and the underlying humor of all your paintings always astonishes me....
Judging from the Swami and Unknown Hinson,you know the deal on getting lost in a drawing...
There's always a different feel of intimacy with drawing that painting sometimes lacks...
i think it's cause it's much more immediate...faster results?
i dunno, but once you start drawing something,if it feels right,
you're not gonna stop until it has just the right amount of "life"...
some artists do it in a gesture, a line,but some require MORE i guess!
Thanks for being YOU!

Sneaky!
Robot Solomon Islanders! Tron/Boomboxes,lots of retro space books,and memories of Jack Kirby and the involved massive detailed machinery/weapons he would draw.....good stuff! wait'll you see some of the other robotics I've been cooking up!
Thanks for the studied observances of the mandala...the pieces that please me the most are the ones that are 60-70% studied up and controlled,but when that element of chance and surprise pops up mid-piece-it's no longer just about lighting and shading,and bringing areas to recede and some to prominence..all of a sudden it's about throwing the map away and exploring....seeing new solutions-questioning first assumptions about a piece...and that's when it gets fun and scary at the same time! I'm glad it worked out...Saw a pic of it when it had the wood all over,and i can remember my gut not liking it from Day 2...i think that's why i stalled it for a good month and a half....
thanks for making me contemplate this again...
Sneaky is Freaky! Paints girls,daschunds,and Tiki!He's bold not Meeky! That's my man Sneaky! werd...

Benz!
I sometimes imagine a canvas like that...a big white square full of teeth and claws and soul-searching and technical problem solving......or as a time-eater...swallowing all my free-time! :lol: That tree is a little bit spooky.....maybe I'll "cute-n" him up for the painting! is "cute-n" a word? Sorry to cause you distress my friend! :)

Brad-don't register your vote til you've seen all the candidates...
i got some more drawings done and forgot to scan my ROBOT KU at work last week ,but will post it next week!
in the meantime....Cheggout all the new drawerings!

I feel truly honored to have gotten postings from FIVE Masters of Tikidom in a row!!!!
thanks guys for doing what you do and being AWESOME at it!
Mutual Inspiration pact is in FULL EFFECT!

a slow start at first..grabbed my water-soluble pencil and water brush and just started doing studies
flippin between the INHABITANTS and the VISITORS
trying to find a solution......

part of me wants to paint this in an abstract style...see what that surprises in the brain.....
so i just grabbed my Tiki/Polynesia clipping folder and did some studies-some stylized-some abstract
some....not so good :lol:

A few weeks ago,at work,a client asked us for a Safari vibe..
so being the R&D guy at work, i found a goldmine of old village and hut and native etchings..
there was one with a mother and child,that i decided to try as some cannibal plant person...
i love the kid-but the mother's face needs a change-up....
the shield warriors may play a part in this painting too!

next, i wanted to do a robotic PNG Agiba Skullrack...but how?
first attempt....

eh.....

second attempt...
i like! :)

Now i gotta figure out how he moves....
so i did these....

lastly...i did a robot KU-but ran out of time to scan it at work....
but i did scan the robot version of Hawaii's famous Pele statue...

that's it for now!
FREAKOUT! :lol:

R

On 2008-07-16 14:28, little lost tiki wrote:

:lol: that lil lone guy on the far left cracks me up! just sittin there kinda grumpy...sorta annoyed :lol:

Rawkin sketches!

EDIT: Ack! just as I posted you made another post!

Well hot damn! It's refreshing to see more sketches! I like the robotic pele!

and the 2nd attempt of the PNG is so cuuute!

Can't wait to see some of these on canvas in the future? maybe?

:D See ya at the FREAKOUT!

"It's like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

[ Edited by: ravenne 2008-07-19 14:49 ]

B

"Benz!
I sometimes imagine a canvas like that...a big white square full of teeth and claws and soul-searching and technical problem solving......or as a time-eater...swallowing all my free-time! That tree is a little bit spooky.....maybe I'll "cute-n" him up for the painting! is "cute-n" a word? Sorry to cause you distress my friend! "
DON'T you Dare "cute-n" up that Tree, I Love it the spooky way it IS Thank you :P

H

Ken, you are out of control good. I find myself looking here pretty often and every time I am here there is a pleasant surprise that you have created. You are so good.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 4:01 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-20 17:02 ]

DRIVE-BY!
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooM!

Robo-Ku
as promised....

a couple more inhabitants of this Polynesian-inspired planet...

some mo'...

and a couple of ink/tissue paper drawings i got to scan today!
"Robot inspired by an Agiba SkullRack"

"the Stolen Weapon"
another in that semi-abstract style.....

and my favorite of this batch...
"Home"
i layed down the tissue paper and ink so it would look like light shining thru the trees!

that's it! More talk laters!

LLT, your art is always imaginative, fresh, honest, delightful, scary, and sublime. The cutting edge of Contemporary Tiki Culture! I want a print of "The Stolen Weapon". (hope you won't mind if I boost the wee pic you posted until then -- gotta have it...)

Go man go.

I didn't think it's work.... but... Okay, I'm sold.
I totally wanna see a animated flick with the robotic Ku and the Robotic Pele! IRON TIKI.

T

All my favorite kinds of tiki. And robots too. That Skullrack robot is great but its missing something. Hummm, ...skulls. Rock On.

Oh and the Hei-tikis fighting over the bowl of fruit remind me of tow kids fighting over a bowl of Fruit Lop ceral. Classic.

Well yikes your good!!!
I framed 2 of 3 Ruzic pieces I bought down the road a bit ago... here they are... sorry I have a shitty camera & I had to shoot at a funny angle to avoid a glare.. BUT!Good news is the art looks fantastic! (so does the framing in person) Kinny Rocks!!

B

Whoa! Issac Asmov moves to the South Pacific...Sweet!

Nice sketches...They need to be in a cool looking tricked out canoe sailing towards a distant star :)

GROG should have WATCHED the Road....Bad GROG!

Stuff looks great LLT, i like the green picture
Mad Paintin Skillz!

R

That Ku Robot is too cute!

And I like your NOMNOM guys in the "Stolen Weapon"!

Are these sketch studies a potential big piece, showing all of the inhabitants co-existing together?

...did you possibly state this earlier in the thread and I am too lazy to scroll back and check? :lol:

also, seems like Groggy needs a nappers... :D

killer stuff as usual kenny

the bird of paradise warriors concept is way rad dood

Sorry it's been a little while...but i do have some goodies to share....
But first...

raves-been planning on doing a Sci-Fi Tikis meet inhabitants of a Tropical alternative universe painting for the tiki mag show....
may actually bring it to the Tiki freakout paintjam on Wednesday
....or not.....

Benz-I'll see if i can cram a Spooky tree in that piece just for you!

hiltiki-a million mahalos for all your sweet words and encouragement.. A lotta time i feel like I'm travelling solo with these musings and theories and paintings and such...Glad to see that it's actually a short-bus full of a lot of friends!

speaking of short-buses..._GROG! thanks for poppin in! what this thread needs is a good amateur hour and you always provide! :lol:

Son-of-Kelbo-Glad i could inspire! and I'm grateful for all the Grand compliments,but i don't deserve them...There are so many talented little geniuses around here,and it's a group effort that makes things happen....
As for prints...i had a bad experience with them a few years back and never really pursued it after that....Maybe some day when i got enough funds...i would rather save my money and get a painting book and a drawing book published.....that's on the dreamlist for sure!
Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a better shot of that print....
it seems like you and a lot of folks like those new abstract style ones...
Stay tuned for some paintings in that style....just over the horizon! :)

TikiShark-IRON TIKI! maybe i can get MORTON Downey Jr. to star in that! :lol:

teaKs!-makes me happy that i could touch on some of your favorite subjects...
The Robotic Agiba skullrack just seemed way too happy to adorn with skulls....for now!
You nailed it on the "Hungry brothers" piece...except it's Fruit LOOPS,not Lops! :)

HipHip-a BIG HUG for you! Those pieces look GREAT in those frames! Too bad they probably cost more than the drawings! :lol: The happy hut sunshower one turned out real purdy! Thanks for giving them a nice place to live and sprucing em up with that bamboo! I'm dying to see how the Moonlight Moai is gonna end up!

Babs! tricked out canoe....hmmmmmm! This tikimag painting may have to become a series! YAY!

TikiDuddy-Thanks man! i dig the Green "Home" piece too! Big emphasis on landscape, but a little story kind of surfacing up.....

tikithomas08-Thanks DOOD!
when did you get an 08 after your name...is this the upgraded version of tikiThomas? wow!
the bird of paradise warriors have been on a few paintings before,but i just keep returning to them....
Here's an example.....
"Pompele" or "the land of Pele"

well...i did about 8-9 sketchbook entries of some tikis,kind of bending and twisting them so they fit into this upcoming weird tropical planet vibe BUT...
my scanner at home is shot-so I'll scan em at work this week and post em for y'all!

in the meantime...i put around 12-14 hours into the second JOURNEY canvas......
and the water and transparency are coming along nicely!

Here's how the first two look together so far....
the ghost-like background rower is on top....

here's some details going from the left hand side to the right..

did a little more shading on the trees and huts/added some hi-lighting to the shield warrior
in the sky and tried to bring out the background warrior's outline against the landscape...

here's some of the water detail and the transparent oar rowing along....

Closer!

here's a pen and ink wash study for that area....

here's a closeup of the waters-all violent and crashing
surging with the power of youth and optimism!

(I'll post my water studies below all of this....)

Here's the boat with the oar affixed to the side
I'll be working on deepening that wood and the transparency very soon!

Here's a last view of our fish belly white warrior...
don't worry! I'll darken him up in the future...
as soon as i figger out his tattoos.....

added some white to the sun's edges and to set apart the warrior from the sun....

did a little improvement to the prow's eyes...
and some wave action....
you can see the back of the "ghost boat" very slight and subtle right now..
This transparency-like the water
requires layers and layers of washes to get the right effect.....

and finally....
the other sky shield warrior...and the transparent boat.....

kinda boring...kinda not as "tiki" as i wanted this posting to be
but I'll get those sketchbook entries scanned soon and you'll see! :)

in the meantime-here's some water studies..You see, each of these 4 canvases
has a different vibe/mood-and the water will also reflect that....
hence the water studies....water's freakin hard! but I'm getting better...
practice a lil bit every day and suddenly BAM!
well, enough babbling!

that's it for now friends! GLUB! GLUB!

Yeah Man! I like how you interpret the waves, and ocean look.

On 2008-07-27 14:34, little lost tiki wrote:
kinda boring...kinda not as "tiki" as i wanted this posting to be

Clysdalle's rubbing off on you! :lol:

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-07-27 16:48 ]

T

Those water sketches look like the amazing Japanese water (with Koi fish) tattoos. I think you are in the wrong business. You pen studies are something else.

The wave studies are very nice.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2008 4:50 AM

Thats coming alone nicely mate :D And the water studies are works of art in themselves

All this effort on this mammoth project, and we're all talking about your water sketches :lol: :lol: But seriously, I love the 'behind the scenes' stuff like your concept sketches and your water and lava studies :D

The process is cool... I really like the blue used on some of the wave studies - that'd be a great main color for a piece.

I saw some original Mayan drawings that had an uncanny similarity to your work, you must be tapping into something primal like they did. They were also prolific and progressive... what is your ancestry?

I'm Back!
and.as promised....here's those Tiki Drawings that i couldn't scan at home....
But first....
Wow! what a response...glad y'all like the studies and progress pix....
I've learned so much from all you guys who post your progress,explain your technique,
give out book titles,and show us your studies.....
A lotta folks think these paintings just pop outta thin air....
that would be waaaaaay cool
but unfortunately,doesn't happen very much...

surfintiki-thanks! I did most of those studies from photos in my reference file and from books....the Asians really had the wave meets beautiful form look nailed! I'm saving those studies for the Last canvas-the DEATH one......

Bill-i need to shoot down to a Chop so you can hose off all that Clysdalle from my bod! :lol:

teaKs-I think these ones may evoke that japanese feel cause i grew up staring at Hiroshige and Hokusai prints..but moreso, i think it's the fact i used an ink brushpen and water on paper-their mediums of choice...the beauty of Asian art is that ,often,it doesn't need any color,but appears colorful.....weirdest thing,eh? Mahalos!

Brad-Thanks man! What are YOU working on now? I see you at the easel,but can't make out the canvas....give up the goods,bruddah!

Thank you hewey! mammoth project....never thought of it like that-but I've learned,in order to create Grand paintings,you must tackle each part of the piece grandly....if that makes any sense....

Robb! Thanks man!That blue is from one of hem TOMBO brush felt tip markers-they bleed really weird when you slosh some water on them,but they're fun to use on fast drawings....
Mayan.Cycladic,Greek,Roman.Estrucan,Gothic,Sumerian,Asian,polynesian....i read and study everything i can get my hands on....Sometimes i feel that it's already been done,but if you mix up your sources just right,new possibilities are created....I dig the flatness,the theatrical enclosed space of mayan sculpture,as well as the no space left empty sensibility of persian miniatures...it all just seeps in and flows out...like an Art history book in a blender! my ancestry is Dutch,Czech,and (obviously) Polish... :lol:

Szulkaski has that same flavor-of mixing cultural styles for his monument studies ,drawings,sculptures,and paintings...google him! It'll inspire ya! not that you need any.... :)

here;s the one ink drawing i got done this week-in between water studies....
"Song of the Volcano"
ink /tissue paper on watercolor paper
these two guys were culled from the batch of tiki drawings i did this week in between drying and ciggies....

Here they is!
"Warpath"

"the Chin Scratcher"

"Brothers"

"Dinner"

"Drummers"

"Cannibal Drummer"

"Masked Dancer"

"Two-person Mask"

that's it for now!
Put a good EIGHT hours into the Tropical planet gets invaded by Robotic tikis painting yesterday and will be working on it Wednesday night at the Light Gallery if you wanna take a Gander.....what the hell is a Gander?
See you THERE!
Free Mai-Tais-if you're into that.......
Toodles!

Ken, the last drawing above, "Two Person Mask", I like! I hope you revisit that character in color!

Freakin' cool sketches. Lotsa, lotsa fun.

Thanks for the info about your influences, it's always cool to know where an artist is coming from.

R

that Masked Dancer is so CUTE!

I got a chance to see Ken work on the tropical planet invaded by robotic tikis on Wed @ the light gallery and to see it in it's simple form and knowing that by the time he is done it's gonna be this crazy POPWOW painting is just really amazing!

i got some snap shots, I'll post'em in the tikiFREAKOUT thread in a few!

:D

Aloha Kiddles!
Thanks for poppin in!
been juggling my birthday and work and packing for a move this month....
I'll be 3 miles from my studio in Orange,so expect more work outta this grunt in the future....

Bill!-Thank you for the visit!I plan on kicking out some smaller color pieces of the two-person mask and a couple of the others so wishes DO come true! GIVE LENI A BIG HUG FOR ME!

Robb-if it ain't fun-it ain't worth it...
Would like to hear about your influences as well...
Always helps to understand the paintings more...
thanks for enjoying the art!

raves-like i told 4WDTiki,I'll have some little pieces of these guys in color coming up..And thanks for taking pix at the Freakout paint-a-thon!
scroll down...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28746&forum=17&start=285&297

I was working on the 2nd piece for the Tikimagazine show...a Sci-Fi/polynesian planet piece that i started last Sunday.....Well, in between packing and moving my home/garage studio back to the main studio,i got some brushtime in....
Here's what i gots....

it's 36x36 and stuck in the in-between stage of acrylic washes/paintpen outlines/and coats of sealant....
it pictures these robotic tikis landing on some distant Tropical planet,and their first encounter with the inhabitants....
here's some details so far....
here's a little fellow gliding downward...with a scary living tree in the background for benz....

at the base of the tree ,overlooking the activities from a cliff,is one of the NOMNOM guys,ready to act....

a Bird of Paradise Warrior,also on the cliff edge-gesturing with his spear and shield....

a masked warrior,running past a giant Hibiscus thing,calling for re-inforcements...

a three-headed leaf alien fleeing the scene...

i think i based this explorer on an African mask,if my memory serves me correctly(and it usually never does)
I like his fancy Spacesuit!

here's another masked warrior,forced to his knees ,as a NOMNOM guy sounds the drum alarm..

Here's two gents trying to threaten the attacker,these two are a bit more brave than the others...

Here's two more, entering the situation..

This middle robot is loosely based on a Solomon Islands paddle motif....

and what Exploration party would be complete without some Robotic Moai paddling about the cosmos?

here's a giant robot derived from an Agiba Skullrack,towering over the volcanos and gathering up some of the bubbles popping out of the opening...

here's the chief of the NOMNOM,with a torch,examining the events more closely from a tree-limb...
I wanted these guys to be a mix of monkey and menehune..
note the hei-tiki lizard bottom right....

here's another spacecraft,loosely based on a Vanuatu post....

and lastly, an explorer based on those janus style orongo birdman...
Gave then a fancy space outfit too!

So many questions that i still have about this piece....
Will contact be successful?
Are the explorers just landing,taking samples ,and leaving?
Will they be remembered,and are they the inspiration for the tikis we have today?
etc.etc.etc.
Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Welpers...thanks for looking kids!

Ho-ly LLT!!
so much goin on in there! awsome story, awsome paints!
really really cool!
the waves at the top of the page i really like too.

You work is incredible and always fun to look at. :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies