Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

H
Helz posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 5:35 AM

LLT,

Keep on keepin on! Happy B-day!

Helz

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2007-04-30 06:30 ]

happy b-day, llt. :D

P

sloppy bidet!!

Um........it's not my birthday......that's in August!
I'm a Leo like my buddy Hiphipahula!
Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes,tho! I'll save them for later! :)
GROG hoodwinked you all! Go home! Please! And I hope the weather is fine
and your gentically modified Beef-Tomatoes are delicious!
Speaking of Birthdays...I used the Time Machine and got to
celebrate my 5th Birthday and Halloween last week....

Now Scram! I'll post some progress pics after my nerves are calmed....

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 9:17 AM

Huell Howser:"So then what your telling us is it's NOT your birthday and this was just joke of some sort?"

On 2007-04-29 17:31, little lost tiki wrote:
Yeah,Uh...thanks for the flattering picture....Brad ol' buddy!
Your punishment will be long and drawn out....
Wotta fun Night on Friday! I was blessed with an evening of Art
and other Diversions with two Tiki Art familiar faces!
Chongolio and Clysdalle!

Clysdalle put us both to shame by finishing a WHOLE painting!
Showing off in front of the old-Timers!
Randy's "God of the Waterfall" moved into the studio and was
greeted with whoops and hollers!

Squid's King Okole finally met the Intergalactic Island Hopper....

Speaking of Intergalactic Island Hoppers....
Here are some more progress pix...outlines and shadows
and a lil' bit of Hi-lighting....

Here's the colors and brushes I've been using.....

And here's some close-ups of the bottom...

Here's some close-ups of the top!

Middle close-up shots!

Besides Randy and Clysdalle,my good friends Maggie and Sandy
came by to cheer up us sad artists with smiles and beauty!
Sandy, who's a rabid collector, picked up these two non-tiki pieces....
Pope Alexander the 6th

and War...

Besides all that excitement, i also got the Palm trees and Grass started on the
"Lonely Island" painting...

Here's some details showing the gouache layer over the
ink/gesso/gouache ground....

That's it for now, my friends! Talk to you soon!
Hope the Weather's Swell for you today!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-04-29 20:57 ]

Thanks Ernie!
And thanks for fulfilling my Birthday Wish of actually becoming SHOUT for an evening!
You're the best! :)
bastard.....

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 9:22 AM

Sorry Clysdale, this kind of got lost in the clutter.

On 2007-04-29 20:56, Clysdalle wrote:
What the hell am I looking at???? Great time Ken...thanks for all the tips, tours and trinkets! Folks if you think his art is good in these little internet tid bits....his studio rocked my f'in world. I seriously could have spent 3 days just walking around tring to suck it all in!!!

Here is the orange tiki finished up...next time I'll bust out the Naples yellow so LOOK OUT!!

Orange Tiki....30" tall

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 9:24 AM

On 2007-04-30 09:22, little lost tiki wrote:
Thanks Ernie!
And thanks for fulfilling my Birthday Wish of actually becoming SHOUT for an evening!
You're the best! :)
bastard.....

Aw shucks! (What, no happy face?)

:wink:
No Smilies for you today!

man this thread just exploded.....I feel lost and scared....

I'm going to have to start at the 1 page and read through damnit...I dont even like david cassidy.

C

Happy non birthday! That decanter is looking great!!

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see em
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that d.d.t. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey Ken-

This stuff is beautiful - who's ever going to top that decanter???? I'm boxing mine back up and sending it back to Holden untouched!!! :) I've been away from Creating Tiki for a week or so and it seems you've created a ton of art... excellent work and your colors are awesome...

Yeah Sam, I always feel like I'm making art in slow motion compared to Ken too! He has some sort of time warping devise I know it!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Don't let the cat out of the bag....

Wow!
What a week! Crazy Weather and happy unBirthday and all! How can an arteest get any work done? Well,besides a few more coats of brush-on satin sealant,I do believe the Decanter is finished! I've titled it "Exploration Party" kind of a suggestion that the whole of the polynesian triangle was "seeded" thru interplanetary exploration and involvement...Plus, with the word "Party" in the title,this mission would have it's friendly side!
Anyways, enough babbling,here's some shots of the whole decanter!

I took a bunch of detail shots,that I'll post later in the week,
because there's two more paintings that I'd like you to concentrate on for now!
The first is the Lonely Island,at least that's the working title...
I added a few more details with grass and flowers and water,
and started to work on the transparency of the water close to the islands...
Here's what i got done so far....

Not much in terms of progress,
BUT i did start a painting entitled "the Wandering Island".
It deals with migration of tribes and islands,
but set in a more fantastical/myth kind of vibe....

This one and the lonely Island were a set,which is why the frames look so similar,
I think they're 20 x 24,but i'm guess-timating on that...
They were just thrift store acquisitions graphics printed on hard board...
i just simply mix gesso and gouache over the ugly picture and use that as the ground to make a purdy picture!
Here's a shot of the side of the boat,showing the huts and palms in the background. Should get these more developed within the week..

Here's the back of the ship,it still needs some more lighting and stuff,
but thought you'd like seeing a shot of it all raw and ready!

Here's the front Prow...

Here's more of the front, but with the bottom guy showing and a glimpse at the village...

Closer....

and here's a final view for now!

Man! I so want a Boat like this! I could invite all the TCers aboard
and we'd sail the seas and have a luau everyday!
Thanks for all the encouragement and for poppin by! Mahalo!

Well, it seems like I've gotten a little pocket of time...
So here's those detail shots of the "Exploration Party" decanter
for the DvA gallery show in June!Enjoy!
Note to the other artists:
Come On! Give it up! i wanna see YOUR decanters!
Chongo knows what's up! Step up! Lemme See!
Anyways, Here's the detail shots....

There ya go! Oh ya! I put some Glow-in-the-Dark in certain areas,just so it
still looks cool in the Dark! Now it's Well-Deserved Naptime! ZZZZZZZ!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-05-06 11:28 ]

Jeez. i spent the day on the beach. Yopur time was spent much better. Excellent stuff!! I wish I had a boat like that too - on my wall!

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 5, 2007 8:50 PM

GROG was just wondering what it might be like if you took the photos of your decanter against a
backdrop that allowed us to actually see and enjoy the detail and color in decanter artwork rather than it getting lost in the busy tapa background and the tabletop with a somewhat similar color to the overall decanter.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-05-06 11:48 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 5, 2007 9:38 PM

"GROG was just wondering what it might be like if you took the photos of your decantur against ...."

Little Lost, don't listen to GROG, he's jealous as heck and doesn't know what to complain about.

I am alternately hap-hap-happy and extremely depressed when I see your work, Little L. Happy cause it looks so cool, but then grouchy cause in comparison it makes everybody else look like they're throwing balloons filled with red, yellow, and blue paint at a canvas.

Bud, GO GO GO!

GROG was just wondering what it might be like if you took the photos of your decantur against a backdrop that allowed us to actually see and enjoy the detail and color in decantur artwork rather than it getting lost in the busy tapa background and the tabletop with a somewhat similar color to the overall decantur.

Well, if GROG wondering so much,why doesn't GROG provide that service for me?
You've already got 2 done....Step up!
And the proper spelling is "decanter" not "decantur", reminds me of Decatur....
Cammo,
GROG is a crabby one,eh? Maybe I'll bring the Decanter to show him,before I mail it! We can put it in front of a white wall,and GROG will be happy! I understand his argument,he's not very smart, being a caveman and all,and the clash of the tapa with the busy surface of the decanter probably scared him....Poor GROG!
Extremely Depressed?
Balloons filled with primary colors?
Then you must not be looking around in Other Crafts,because there is a crapload of great artists on there! A large majority of them make me want to retire and burn my brushes! This is such a great little subculture here,and I think we all learn from each other because the main goal here is the infamous "Mutual Inspiration Pact"! if we can all learn and improve our skills, this Tiki Art Community will Rise Above and make us all Happy and Proud! Face Forward Soldier! The future's looking Bright! Hi Ho!

LLT! The Wandering Island is incredible! Love your style man! Lot of great energy in your approach and the color palette is awesome! Nice! Of course the vessel is unbelievable! Holy crackers!

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 8:18 PM

That decanter is out of this world :lol: :D Nice work

Kia ora Kinny! -Sorry I missed your non-birthday; so all the best for your actual one in a few months!
*I see a bit of a migratory vibe going on for you; you're not leaving us are you..? :cry:
I love the idea of 'intergalactic island-hopping'; I can see a voyage captained by Von Daniken, off to find the home of Queztecotl...

Keep up the good work mate. You're an inspiration! (among many other things)

Tama :)

Kinny,
Hey, I save me a spot on the giant Luau Boat! It'll be like a vacation cruise line for Tiki Central! Really beautiful stuff - once again opening up my imagination to further reaches of tiki-lation! Aloha!

Mrs Hoptiki here,

LLT your decanter is one of the coolest things I’ve seen. Really it’s beautiful. I love all the detail you put into your work.

That is some tight and serious work. Keep it coming!

C

God's Holy Trousers! The island pieces are coming together nicely. I agree with Suburban Pagan with the colors being used are 100% knockout. As usual your detail leaves me droolin'

Hey Flippy!

When you gonna move on to a new medium????

ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

LLT man, you're a mad scientist. very cool stuff. do you paint every day? just trying to imagine you painting away at your table, brushes in your mouth, behind your ears, 2 or 3 in each hand, three paintings going on at once, you now. awesome, man. keep 'em coming.

Hello Friends!
Got some further work done on the Wandering Island and seeing as I already have 2 pieces in progress,I went and started a third...why? Cause I got bored with the other two last week and just wanted to wander off the beaten path for a day or two...
but before the visual goodies, I must answer back all you swell folks!
SuburbanPagan,Glad you like the Wandering Island! I've been on a Boat jag lately,and plus the lure of unknown and ancient legends always makes for a fun painting! You'll have to visit the studio sometime for an Art Jam,i could see if i could round up Clysdalle and a few of the other clowns....and what's with the "Holy Crackers"? Don't Catholics refer to that as the Host?
Hewey!
"out of this world"
GROAN...You must be taking Comedy Lessons from Ernie..or Bora-Boris! :lol:
Tama,
Hello Sir!
Yes, the migration vibe...travelling and searching...one of man's driving inner forces! I think i'm gonna do a HUGE version of this theme,complete with little occupants! Now that'll be FUN to paint! And the whole Space theme is also beckoning...so many cultures have so many interstellar as well as earthly tales that overlap.... Sometimes ,it feels like there's not a brush small enough to capture all i want to cram in there,So a bigger canvas makes it a bit easier...This current piece is more like a study for the big one!
Brad, There's a spot saved for both you and Abbas! A duplex hut with a studio out back! A migratory culture should have at least a couple of genius artists onboard! You never know when they might come in handy!
Mrs. Hoptiki and Raffertiki,
Mahalo for the happy thoughts! Details,details....I could do so many more paintings if i left out the details! Unfortunately, the details help support the main theme, kind of like the remains in Pompeii, they give the big story some life, some intimacy...
Chongo,
Saved you a spot on the boat too! Figured we could build some rockets en route....
Ben,
New Medium? I'm always up to try a new medium! And I'm sorry, but there's no room for you on the boat...I figured you'd try to change the paradise we discover into a Parking Lot! Plus, there's no beer over there!
GreenTikiPat,
I paint every day,most of the time....if i miss more than a week of quality paint time, i get very irritated....ask the wife! Whenever i'm just being an incorrigible fat and crabby artist,she tells me to get in the studio! On days, when there's not enough time to paint, I'll whip out the sketchbook and either draw mindlessly or elaborate on subjects/themes on the list...I find, if i can't paint, reading and research helps....or i just go to other Crafts and see and listen to what you all are creating! As for the brushes behind the ears and stuff....Nope! I lay them out, the brushes,paint tubes,palette,reference sketches (if any) the bong...oops! did i say that? It's all set up and nice and neat and ready to go before i start....What's your pre-painting/creating ritual?
Thanks again to all of you for all the niceties!
On to the Show! as the little Rascals would say....
First off..here's some progress shots on the "Wandering Island" Mostly getting the wood a bit better and starting the hut and tree details...

Here's the side of the boat...Haven't done much on the water, but i like the paddles...

and here's some shots to show the progression and fleshing out of the palms and huts

and here's a piece that really isn't tiki yet, nor am i sure it ever will be.
I felt a creeping need to paint a forest with intertwining trees,an opportunity to try and
reflect a mood with no characters,only environment....The two other pieces I've been working on have that to some extent, but the cliff faces and boat's carved details kind of anthropomorphizing (is that a word?) as containing human attributes and feeling...This one hopefully will convey a mood without those props...or not!
Well, enough babbling,here it is....untitled for now!
It's on a piece of gessoed wood, it actually was a piece i had started earlier,but dropped..

Here's some details..I used a purple for some of the shading on the trees and used gold sumi ink to outline the leaves,that way they shimmer like real leaves as you walk by the painting...a cheap trick, but works for me! Also the outline of the trees so far is courtesy of one of my favorite colors...Naples Yellow! Let's put out a great big round of applause for Naples Yellow! YAY!

Here's the Roots, I'm really digging the dark olive shadow under the trees...they're like some weird banyan hybrid,huh?

Here are the branches,all tangling and knotting around each other...

and here's near the top, with the leaves all overgrowing and a hint of trees in the background....more details back there later!

and here's a self portrait i painted yesterday....

:lol: No, actually,it's a recently found,hitherto unpublished photo
from my "Talking Palms and Pineapple Kings" exhibition last year!
Well, enough funnin! Y'all have a good day,y'hear?

The Untitled "Into the Woods" piece is really magical. Beautful. Well done! Maybe I'll put woods into my next one........

thanks Brad!
Tikis aren't the only mystic thing out there! I bet a forest piece by you would be crazyassgood! Always good to keep 3 or 4 paintings going at once,for whatever mood you're in!
Well, I've been working on a CD cover for a friend today and while going over what style to do it in, I realized that i had a painting in that style that you all haven't seen! At least I think you haven't seen it....And it's tropical! That should make up for the earlier non-tiki forest piece!
This one was made for my wife and has never been exhibited. A pity, because it really grows on ya the more you're around it....
The title is "Night at the Village" and i did it in that old Chinese papercut meets Hawaiian pareau print style...

Here's some close-ups...each one could work as a separate painting.I guess that's what kept me into this piece for so long,each little vignette..
Here's the Main Hut...I love the simplicity and texture of the tree to the left...

Here's the Moon/Sun bursting thru the clouds...i decided to make them one.I also put a wagonload of glow-in-the-dark paint over final areas...they're those very subtle raised surfaces on the painting...you can see it by the moon, that real light star next to it.....In the dark it glows like MAD!

Here's another peaceful little area. I took a lot of the flowers from pareau prints and
just stylized 'em.

Here's more of that tree I like!

Here's another funky lil hut...

and here we have the volcano in the distance...

I love the palms and the cliff in this one...the fun part of this style is being able to wrap and twist and direct the landscape's flow...that way the viewer is led safely thru the picture!

Here's some of the volcano smoke trailing upwards into a star covered sky

and here's an extreme close-up that shows ya how it's done!
So close you can smell it!

I basically started with a canvas...ink stained areas to a feel for the sky or moon or grass.I sealed it.Then went with a paintpen and started blacking in the areas(mostly freehand,but for trouble areas I would use a water soluble pencil-draw over it,then when the paintpen is dry,a wet towel sops up the pencil WITHOUT A TRACE! After all the blackline is done,it gets another coat of sealant,more paintpen,another coat of sealant,more paintpen,another coat of sealant,more paintpen,another coat of sealant,more paintpen,and finally, some fabric puffpaints and glowin the dark pens before a final seal and that's how it's done! Make your own! They make great gifts for Mother's Day! Aloha!

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 13, 2007 7:57 PM

So when you going to make some Hawaiian shirts already man? :D

love your work you are very talented

That painting you made for your wife-hee-nay is making me go cross-eyed, it's really powerful--like looking at one of those atom-smashing electron microscope pictures. I'm loving your new pieces as well Kinny. That self portrait painting you did is a bit cartoony looking even for your style though...

Peace
ST

very very cool, LLT. man, my ritual has been greatly simplified lately.some exotica or surf; some rum and juice sometimes,other times a couple beers, sometimes just water or juice. gotta have the cold beverage. the majority of the riutual happens before all the rest-putting my 5yr old daughter to bed! aloha!

Hey Ken, love that Wandering Island piece.
I like how you've incorporated the blue into the boat.
Is that for the tiki mag. show in November?

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 16, 2007 3:32 PM

Mindblowing! (facemelting?) I could look at that one for hours!
I'd love to see some of the fabric prints you've done if they're tropical/tiki inspired....

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 16, 2007 6:49 PM

That's some really busy wallpaper you got there.

H

hhhwaaaaaagagagagahooooly fwuuuagggg!!!!! DUDE-I'm coming to your house to steal this!!!! Don't worry-I'm bringing alcohol, ciggies and maybe some wakaklolo--(and some roofies too--so I can walk out with this while you're passed out!!)

That's fu(%ing HYPNOTIC!!!!! I love it!

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman
http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-05-16 20:03 ]

Hey Gang!
Not much in the art sector this week..Well, actually, I did finish about 15 pages of studies for an BIG commission,but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share them for now....They're quite to my liking and I'm really stoked how they turned out,so I'll try to get some clearance to post those.....In the meantime, i have one beautiful object to share with y'all,but first....
Hewey:
Spent from 89-2002 designing tees and trunk/woven shirt prints whilst in the surf industry...I still have a friend who reps and sells prints(Hawaiian/etc.) from a whole pool of artists,but haven't really had time to work any....I used to dream of being able to work for Mambo,they've got the best Hawaiian shirt prints-hilarious!
Marcus Thorn:
Thanks man! You carvers are the people that impress me! Wow! all that time and skill! and strength! You need those big Popeye muscle arms! I can't imagine how you can work so big on some of those Wonders! keep it up man!
Sneaky:
yeah...the self-portrait does look kind of cartoony and dumb,but accurate! Ask me mates!
I'm working on that CD cover in that atom-smashing style,and it's been fun to go thru old pieces in a certain style/theme...I swear somebody else adds things to them,because i can't, for the life of me, remember certain details...painting fog I guess....
greentikipat:
I try to stay away from booze whilst painting because it just dulls me up and makes me tired....cold beverage....sounds good! when I'm painting at home,there's always the 9-9:30 wait for the stepkid to go to bed...dawdle-dawdle! Then after prayers and with her snug in her bed, I'll try to get back into the groove before bedtime...50-50 chance it comes back!
Life seems to tolerate painters...no special perks tho! except for the hypersensitive insight you can't tell people about or they'll put you in a home! Thanks for sharing your ritual!
Doug:
Thanks! the wandering Island is my favorite out of the two! Blue and brown always look great together...I see you use those two colors colors together,on wood surfaces as well! Wow!
And yes.....these are my warm-ups for the tiki magazine Art Show in November! i wasn't sure if it was a secret or not...Guess not! yet another opportunity to get to see your incredible work,Mr. Horne!
Paipo:
One of these days I'll drag out all my printed Tropical Shirt and Boardshort samples and print files to present a lil' print show when I get some time! I'll keep you posted! Thanks! I was telling my wife if we ever made it to the Islands and i needed to get a dayjob besides painting, that would be the vocation i would choose! I'd be doin it ol school with the gouache!
GROG:
Thanks! We also do sofa and couch prints to match the wallpaper! The walls of your cave need some snazzing up i think!
S-N-T:
You don't need to steal that! My wife would break your hands and that wouldn't do! Why don't you just save a piece of wall and we can put a mural in this style on it! All i need is the plane tickets,a place to crash,food/drink/other,and paints! Twould make a fine addition to your beautiful basement and yard/village!
well...here's the goods today! Jentiki and Bora-Boris stopped by the studio to spread the Ohana and to pick up "the Greeting Mug". why is it called that,Ken? Well, I'll tell you in a minute..the mug was given to me with the instructions to make it beautiful,sooooo here it is..
the front...

i did some tribal motifs in gold with gold puff paint raised over that surface with countless seals of satin clearcoat,that gives it a subtle sheen,just enough to excite the eyes...
Now here's the back,and the reason for the title...

as you can see I loosely based the back on "the Greeting" painting from a while back

not exact, but the space restraints guided the figures....the adding of the lil' hidden tiki
faces was an afterthought,but worked out quite well....

That's it for now...I promise to get some painting done and posted soon! Thanks for dropping by!

H

Mr. LLT,
I must say, your work is...
Well, I can't really put it into words. All I know is that I love it!
I can be having a really bad day, sit down at the computer, go through your thread, slowly looking at the pictures and feel the stress slide away as a smile creeps across my face.
It is both manic and relaxing at the same time.
Does that make sense?

Wow....simply amazing...the mug is a knock-out. You are one talented critter. :)

That is one fine mug LLT. And I love the "Little Lost" style that runs through
all of your work, the designs are wonderful and I wish I could carve them.
Always fun to see what's happening over here.

You Sick Bastard!

That mug F'in rocks!!

We'll be "room mates" in that funny farm 20 years from now!!!

J

Ken,
Thanks so much for "The Greeting" mug! I took it out at dinner with Boris and Hiphipahula last night and couldn't stop turning it in my hands and looking at it. I love it! Thanks also for the hospitality and the chance to look around your studio with all the new stuff that wasn't there when I visited last. I'm glad I got to see the rocketship decanter before it ships off to Chicago, since I know I won't be able to buy it! It looks even cooler in person than it does in the pictures! I feel lucky to have such a fun, talented friend!

Ben,
Sorry I didn't make it to your store yesterday! Kinny and Boris dragged me off to get some lunch, and there went the day!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies