Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

I did have the honors along with Trader Tom & Ilene of being greeted by "The Greeting" Mug, Boris & Jen in person! This lil' moai is a fantastic work of art! Jen was absolutely in mug heaven and "The Greeting" mug stole the show! Absolutely Beautiful! What a unbelievable art piece for Jen to add to her collection and her life. HiPhiPaHuLa!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-05-20 12:49 ]

Hey kids!
well, i just got permission to share some of the studies for this 4-canvas commission I've acquired by a most gracious Mystery Patron! Yippee! But first.....
Heath:
Manic and relaxing...Yup! You nailed it in three words! Glad i can smiles to the ohana!
VampiressRN:
Thank you! I just hate the fact that the pictures never carry that whole essence of a good piece,only a portion of it....
congatiki:
thanks for the visit and liking the mug! that "Little Lost" style you refer to is kind of wired
into the hands and brain....can't do nuthin about it....
and i think you could totally carve some of those designs real swell!
Ben:
Happy Anniversary!
Glad you like the mug! Has anyone mentioned that you need a mug? :)
I'm thinkin,the way we conduct our lives with no regard to physical or mental safety-that
we'll be roommates at the funny Farm in about 10 years,not 20!
Jen:
Thank you! It was your idea to throw a mug at me,so this creation wouldn't be around if it weren't for you! it was fun sharing the studio and having lunch with you and Bora-Boris!
That lunch made me toot a lot later in the evening,tho! :)
Hip:
Hearing such kind words from such an esteemed mug aficionado is truly an Honor! Thanks!
Now here's some art i was doin' on Friday for this commission...It deals with the journey of life,and the stages of that life from birth to death...
here's what i gots so far in the developmental stages.....

I'll let the sketches and the notes form a storyline,as I typed a whole explanation to the Mystery Patron,and I have to get these paintings ready for the London Luau!
Cheerio!

J

On 2007-05-20 16:27, little lost tiki wrote:
That lunch made me toot a lot later in the evening,tho! :)

Gee, I'm really glad I missed that part! Can you say "TMI"?? :roll:

Those studies are beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished panels!

LLT, you have amazing talent, wow! the mugs are great! do you do commisions? if so, please PM me... Your Mugs rock!

Amy

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 8:19 PM

Hewey:
Spent from 89-2002 designing tees and trunk/woven shirt prints whilst in the surf industry...I still have a friend who reps and sells prints(Hawaiian/etc.) from a whole pool of artists,but haven't really had time to work any....I used to dream of being able to work for Mambo,they've got the best Hawaiian shirt prints-hilarious!

Not any more mate :( After the Sydney Olympics in 2000, Mambo’s “loud shirt” range gained acceptance with the middle aged folk of Australia (Mambo supplied athletes casual uniforms, and uniforms for the ceremonies). Naturally the youth skate/surf market would no longer touch it (which is where Mambo was originally targeted). Mambo called in some gun market research firm, who told them they were no longer cool in the eyes of the youth. So despite the loud shirts being their best selling range at the time, they pulled the plug on them on them lest the cashed up kiddies see them as ‘uncool’. Now Mambo is just the same as any other big surf/skate brand like Ripcurl, Billabong etc. fashionable, but none of the social satire that used to distinguish them from the pack. RIP loud shirts :(

On a brighter note, that mug is awesome, and the commission series looks like it’s coming along great too! :D

I love seeing your sketches and notes...reads like a dream almost...like the important ideas or themes are there but all the othe details are foggy....sweet.

On 2007-05-19 22:07, little lost tiki wrote:
Sneaky:
yeah...the self-portrait does look kind of cartoony and dumb,but accurate! Ask me mates!
I'm working on that CD cover in that atom-smashing style,and it's been fun to go thru old pieces in a certain style/theme...I swear somebody else adds things to them,because i can't, for the life of me, remember certain details...painting fog I guess....

Ken, I think there are alot of us here on TC (myself included) that leave the house looking like a cartoon character. I'm just glad I'm not the only one! The Moai mug turned out really well and the extra tiki face in the middle of the two bird-men is Melanesia-LLTerrific! I need to go look at all your new stuff at least two more times to try to catch all the pieces and details.

Paint On!

Snizzy
Tizzy

J

On 2007-05-21 09:52, Sneakytiki wrote:
The Moai mug turned out really well and the extra tiki face in the middle of the two bird-men is Melanesia-LLTerrific!

If you look closely, there are actually three tiki faces between the birdmen. Kinny sneaks 'em in wherever he can. They make the mug even more special! :D

Kinny,
The Greeting Mug is beautiful! Really classy! I love when there are multiple images all within each other. Clever! Hey, as your drinking and looking at the mug, you could really loose yourself in it! Get a little drunk, see another new face... After a few more refills, maybe the little faces would start talking to you!
Aloha!

J

On 2007-05-21 12:36, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Get a little drunk, see another new face... After a few more refills, maybe the little faces would start talking to you!

I'm okay with that ... as long as they don't talk in Kinny's crazy artist voice! :roll:

C

Great mug!! Very nice!

On 2007-05-13 19:53, little lost tiki wrote:

That one looks like the tiki equivalent of "Starry Starry Night" by Van Gogh. As Paipo said "Face melting." Keep them ears of yours safe tucked beneath the lobe flaps on your crazy lid and away from the sharp objects you crazy genius!

Chongolio

F
foamy posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 8:04 AM

Wow. I bet you get a lot of fortune cookies that read something like "YOU ARE TALENTED AND PROLIFIC." What a lotta nice work.

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 11:51 AM

Well, at least they got the "prolific" part right.

I'm thinkin "retarded and driven" would best describe things! Great seein you last night Ernie!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 12:33 PM

On 2007-05-27 12:26, little lost tiki wrote:
I'm thinkin "retarded and driven" would best describe things!

Is that describing GROG or you? GROG think it describes Kirby best.

Wha?....

Thanks Sneaky, for allowing me to return some of the inspiration your thread has given me!
Jen,have those faces started talking yet?
Brad,Thanks man! I was hoping to get a "double-image" thing going with the faces...
we gotta get you on track for a mug,man! Have you seen Paipo's "Creature" carving?
between that and the mug in your mysterious maiden's hand...it's time for a COTBL revival!
Thanks Clarita! You need to make a mug too! You already know how to carve real good,the rest is easy!
Randy! Missin your amp-iness and enthusiasm already! when you comin back to visit us Landlubbers? "Starry Night",eh? I also like that one to one of Rousseau's jungle paintings meet Miro or Klee...I got a new one planned for this or next week, so keep your eyes peeled!
Foamy,thank you sir! I agree with GROG and will just keep with the "prolific",the"talented" part makes me blush.Us artists are never wholly satisfied with the talent part because it never captures the pictures behind our eyeballs...Miro referred to that as "Divine Discontent" Seeing the Divine, but only able to portray a glimpse of it....Sigh!
Had the Best Memorial Day weekend,from an ArtJam with Kirby and Clysdalle on Friday to seeing all the TC ohana the rest of the weekend..Truly fun and inspiring! Kirby showed me the painting he created for the London Luau-pretty cool! You'll see it soon enough! And Dave carved a whole piece that night! Kirbs also did a Bob Ross Painting with a tiki in it....I'll have to get a shot of that for ya! He also did a pretty cool little carving that night....Artjams rock! i think all our IQ's went up at least 5-6 points!
Anyways,being the fluttering Attention Deficit Disorder Boy lately,I thought i'd START yet another painting,and leave those other 3 to gather a few more cobwebs (Black widow ones,too! Yikes!)This one has been whispering since the Tiki Farm Parking Lot Sale,where i found it at Bamboo Ben's booth.it was a beautiful piece and i even told him i was gonna paint on it,and he didn't seem to mind(he doesn't have separation anxiety like normal artists).Now, the problem with painting over some body's stuff is that you'd like some of the previous artist to show thru-an homage if you will,to the original creator of that piece...So ,first I started with some sketchbook entries...

Nope! Next!

Nope! Next!

Maybe!No! Ben's frame deserves something better!

Hell Naw! Next!

Wait....That's it!
They always talk about "the Gaze",and how primitive works,especially those from New Guinea have an almost otherworldly power imbibed into the eyes of their carvings and art.This could possibly be the subject that could compliment the Master's frame....
So I went for it! And here's what i got so far!

Sorry about the bitmapped cut-out...that was for GROG...
Note the beautiful color and burnt accents on that Bamboo! It's like he's got an Angel
guiding his hand....well, maybe a menehune at least!
Got MOST of the first phase of the lighting,shadow,and outlining done,,,still a little way to go,but this one has a groovin mana to it...so much, I thought a sneak peek would be in order....I started on a gesso/gouache ground and just built it up from there!
Here's some details...
Here's the very top so far...notice the skull that gives it a little bit of uneasiness....

Gotta love that smile!

I threw in some Orongo birdmen for good measure.... i like their hands...

And here's an extra close-up just to give y'all a peek at how I build up and layer these puppies....

So there you have it.....I hope Ben approves of me co-opting his work,,,
If not,this will be my final post! A pleasure to have known you TC ohana! :)
Thanks for visiting!

J

That's really cool! Bet you can't guess what my favorite part is :wink: Actually, I really liked the Cramped Warrior too.
Yes, the faces on the mug are talking to me, but I'll leave their secrets up to your imagination. Pardon me while I continue my search for a newt. :o

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 3:31 AM

Looks awesome mate! Great work, sooo many tiki faces in it :D

again, seeing this up close and personal....it has soooo much depth. LLT rocks the party that rocks the party!

LLT!

you can

OPt my Co

anytime!!

(hope he approves? give me a break! :wink:-

Don't the marines have a saying something about Honor? )

LLT! you can OPt my Co anytime!!

Are you hittin on me? :lol:
Honor? that went out in the 80's! It's all about grabbing oil and assets!
Smedley Butler talked about waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day!
Semper Fi! I will make it a thing of great mana and beauty, and thanks for letting me OPt a feel! :wink:

Wooooooooooowww dude! Ive just caught up on your last few pages: speechless But Ive gotta say something...

Yay Naples yellow! Wicked trees. But the highlight of my latest LLT trip is...

this beard... :lol: :blush:

T

MG

Hey Ken... Big Daddy R-Dot says hi.

C

Very nice I think your friend is going to love it, did he see it yet? and about me making mugs, yes I would love the make one some time, but I don't think is going to be to easy, specially making it right...

SLACKER!

an artless day 3 and counting...

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

so yea, the 'cramped warriar' is definatly kickin. your rendition for Ben's frame is the perfect choice, and looking awesome. the hands ARE something great. as is most of the rest. looking good, LLT; let's have some more!!

Hey Gang!
What an exhausting week,following an exhausting weekend....Well, at least i got a lil bit of painting done to share with you....but first, i'd like to respond to some of your lovely posts.....
Tama: You've been cooking on some carvings in a major way lately! Naples Yellow does Rock! It rocks harder than the devil in the Tenacious D movie! Indigo and Sepia are close second.....The beard...yes,the beard...I made it real long in that one because that was the "Old Age" stage of the four paintings...Check out the middle Age and you'll see it's not as long...When i was working on my End-Times pieces a few years back,all the Angels had these huge long stylized beards to denote their age,grace,and 'cause it worked visually to give the pieces that 3-dimensional meets flat Indian miniature meets Greek Vase painting style I loves so much!
Gene: Why is it "Mean Gene"? You're one of the friendliest guys I know...Curious....Big Daddy R-dot says "Hi",you mean Rusty? I haven't seen that man in at least 4-5 years! What a truly friendly and open guy! I miss the old days (1989-95) working on tees,graphics,and prints all day,when all of a sudden,Rusty would walk in and plop down some Art books to look at and get inspiration! He has that pure love for art and he's such a nice guy! Tell him "Hello!" for me...Small world!
Clarita: I think you would make splendid mugs..There's a hard dense wax Squid told me about that they use for making the molds...I think a mug,especially from a brilliant carver like yourself,is a lot easier than you think!There's a lot of genius sculptors and carvers who would be able to steer you in the right direction...If they give you any trouble, remind them of the TC Mutual Inspiration Pact! Haven't shown this in person to Ben yet, but I plan to soon!
Jonesy:
Hey Braddah!
Nice Prarie Dog Pirate! Save him for the next Tonga Hut thread!
Rousin me about 3 days laggin....C'mon man! I try to post at least once a week-weeknahalf.Like i said earlier,last weekend was a doozy-between work and TC stuff! Plus, i got a friend who's staying at my studio for a few weeks til their home in SanFran is ready..that's always a time-sucker! Usually, it's "arrive at the studio-get supplies/reference/tuneage/coffee ready-paint-smoke-drink coffee-potty-repeat for at least a quiet 5-6 hours...that's how i get most of my work done...Now it's all riddled with little things,bustin up my serenity time...I think solitude and quiet-inner quiet/stillness/contemplation is a necessity for at least 2-4 hours at least twice a week..so get use to this for a few...there are so many Art Einsteins in Creating and Carving that you should just be called "Travellin",cause i know that TC always fulfills my art jonez when I need a quick fix!
greentikipat:Mahalo!You've been cookin out the goodies as well lately! Those Happy Cannibals,that uber-schweet black velvet painting-and now the mermaid/cannibal piece! Man! You never stop!That cramped warrior is pretty funny,glad you like him! One of those mistake pieces that is just too funny not to share! When I first started seriously drawing and painting,this would happen all the time! Compositional nightmares,staggering beasts and stumbling figures...then i started looking at both Primitive Arts and Old Masters and Outsider Art-searching and seeking balance/flow/direction/composition,and relating that back to my own pieces...Sometimes the most awkward stuff had more realism or impact or emphasis,while some (only some...) of the Old Master's work expressed profound beauty visually and geometrically,it didn't have that RAW kind of grace...So now,years later,I flip a coin and either draw out a composition or let the clumsy instincts just flow... Funny how we both noticed those special parts of the pieces (ie: the back of the headdress on your bamboo KU/you diggin the hands in "the Watchers" Hilarious! It's that artist spirit,connecting all us misfits like an invisible celestial thread....If you're into art history,or history in general,there's lotsa times when certain ideas or thoughts just connect a lotta people into the same vibe..Now with the computer age,these ideas can be processed faster as we spiral towards the unknown!
Back to the hands-well, let's just look at the finished piece and we'll talk about it then...or not!
"the Watchers" gouache and puff paint over Bamboon Ben sign...

Sorry for the slight sheen on the right-i need to give it a good matte coat over the satin sheen...
Here's some details-going from top to bottom....

You can see the ribal motif i put all the way around-kinda like a mat to separate it from the bamboo...You can also see the areas where i put in puff paint to raise up the surface and give it a more exciting vibe...also a spooky wee ancestor skull at the very top...

How many tiki faces total? I still don't even know..(and don't even turn it upside down! trust me)

I like the lips and eyes on the shield-make me smile!

and there's my little Tangata Manu friends with their elegant swooping hands resting on their.....chins? Do Birdmen have Chins?
And of course, I had to start that CD cover for my friend....

Here's what I got so far..the blackline part..I tried to do a study first of the whole composition
but essentially just winged it-I started with an ink stained canvas,drew out the elements freehand with my handy dandy water-soluble pencil...Used the indigo/navy decocolor paintpen for the outlines,after drying-you get a wet towel,and wipe off the pencil...WITHOUT A TRACE!
Then I sealed it for the first time...the sealant i use sometimes picks up the ink and parts of the paintpen, so it's extra careful time...

Check out the tiki's hands-that's what I'm talkin about! Minor repairs here and ther,and the more you seal it, the more coverage the ink gets and so it don't mess with you as much!

Here's the Hut,you can see the yellow has been added a bit,that's the kind of coloration this whole thing will get eventually!

Here's the Polynesian Butterfly girl with a butterfly on her hand and a few more flying around.You can see a bit of scuffing on her leg...that won't be there for long....

And here's a closeup of the Hut...It's getting late and I've had a rough day,so I think I will bid you all goodnight and crawl in there for a good night's sleep...Adieu!

Man, llt! This stuff is something else - it's off the board cool.... There's a lot of depth to "The Watchers" and great colors too. I like!

Your Kung-fu is Ichiban! You deliver one two knock out artistic karate chop to the eyeball. It hurts... but in a good way.

Grasshopolio

R

Wow! Totally blew my mind with the design on "The Watcher"! Love the fact that not matter which way you look at it there is another face. Great start on the CD cover, incomplete it's amazing but once it's done it'll be phenomenal! :)

I really like the CD cover design as is. That is fucking cool. What band are you doing it for?? The painting with the Bamboo Ben Frame is really nice too.

H

Ken, your CD cover looks great.

C

great stuff...and the step by step with descriptions really kicks arse!

Kenny!
Wow, that is a lot of tiki faces in there! It's beyond the beyond and then some. I don't think I've ever seen tiki art taken to such a amazing level of op-art creativity! And I think I do detect an ever increasing perfection to your craftsmanship. I mean, those last two pieces are really tight. Beautiful work. And damn those pirate ground hogs, I think posting once every week-end-a-half is plenty. Big Aloha as we all are spiraling into the unknown...

What kind of sick bastard are you? I love it!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 5:50 PM

He's a necrophiliac pedophile who enjoys being tied-up and tortured while watching videos of animals being artificially inseminated----but that's a different story.

*OK--GROG fix spelling.

[ Edited by: grog 2007-06-04 00:30 ]

Ahem!
Ernie,the truly sick bastard is the one who doesn't use spellcheck when it's clearly in front of them... :)

Right on! I smell bilge a-brewin'!

Not again..... :(

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 8:14 PM

Love the bamboo framed piece. The whole thing just gells real nice :D

CD cover is TIGHT YO! That style is really busy like alot of your stuff but the monochrome makes it serene at the same time, giving it a Black and Tan art vibe rather than the usual throwing a shot back buzz of your more flamboyant/colorful pieces. I think you did Ben's bamboo proud, killer piece there too. ZOWY! I need a chaser...

Loving the CD Cover!! Looks like a lot of time went into that! Love how everything flows together in a harmonious tiki universe. Has a very musical vibe to it. Many kudos on this one.
Also really like the bamboo framed piece. Good call with the puff paint. It's always fun to find new things to add texture to a piece. Did you make the frame or find it? Very unique.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 2:21 PM

I like these new(?) ones (the two you've based on the fabric print style) - I'd love a sleeve of those blackline designs on my spare arm! Huts, tikis and wahine...oh yeah! You should make them do a run of vinyl albums so the punters can appreciate your art....
How are the big ones coming along...will we see progress or are they top secret for your client?

R

I agree with Palpo! When are you going to post more progress? I can't wait to see the finished product!

Come on LLT!
The masses demand it!

Aloha Ohana!
Whew! what a week so far! And it's still a few days from being over! Got a call on Tuesday from Jason at the Pinch Gallery in Costa Mesa...His artist said his prints wouldn't be ready for about 3-4 more weeks and they should move the show to the beginning of July....Faced with 3-4 weeks of empty wall space is not very profitable or attractive.To make a long story short...got the call on Tuesday,drove to the studio,self-curated and grabbed 50 pieces,drove home,typed up name/pricetags,went to sleep,woke up, went to work,got off work,picked up the stepkid,hung out til the wifey got home,repacked the truck,drove to the gallery,hung the show,and got home by 11:45! Insta-Show! I'll be posting all the details about the Opening Reception in Events this weekend,but i know it's next Sat the 16th from 7-11pm...Phew! then today,went to work,then to the dentist,and haven't had a nap all week! But i still managed to get some painting done on Monday! But first....

Hewey: kinda gells like that bitchen new bike you got! Make sure to wear your helmet!

Sneaky-YO! Thanks man! Some of the earlier pieces in this style were very tonal,but alas, for this one,I'm gonna have to POP it!!!! sorry,maybe next one......The other piece I'm REALLY stoked with...I think it's cause of all the BooBen mana embedded into it!

nicole-Mahalo for the kudos! Not that much time has went into it-probably only about 5-6 hours so far...the more you do it, the more instinct just kicks in and you can concentrate on other aspects besides the laborious coloring.....
As for the other piece-that's a Bamboo Ben piece I painted on...go back about 2 pages and cheggout the whole sordid tale....Puff paint is the bomb! Been using it on frames and paintings since 1990! Tried and true! Just make sure to lock it in with a brush-on sealant!

Paipo! I tell ya-TC is the place to be if you want pure unadulterated Inspiration! Glad you like the tropical inspired ones...If you're serious about a tat sleeve-gimme a Pm and I can kick out something for you! Consider me your humble servant! Vinyl would be cool! Big ones had to take a break,but will be back on track with them next week sometime..I'm getting itchy to delve back into it! And yes, I will certainly share the progress on those!

ravenne-Welcome to Tiki Central! Enjoy your visit! Go bug suburbanpagan...his output's been kinda slow lately!!!Have you checked out TikiShark's thread yet? There's so many great artists and carvers here that your head will spin!

Anyways,Here's my progress with the Polynesian Butterfly so far...

Well, the CD is for a gentleman named Populele..he's a ukelele player from Chi-town
and a truly talented and nice guy! this will be for his album "Polynesian Butterfly".
If you'd like to hear some of his music and some youtubes of his performances go check out his mySpace address http://www.myspace.com/populele
Check out his version of " Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction!
Pop him a message and tell him Ken sent ya!
Here's some details...I would give you a description of the progress,but I'm too tired....
so here are some closeups...

I also painted on another Bamboo Ben acquisition...
it's a 3 foot "Talking Shield"

It's pretty much finished...tho i may add some puff paint to it just for a pop!
Well, goodnight kiddies! It's been a pleasure serving you! :)

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
and watch your eyes melt and head explode....
or your money back!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-06-07 08:25 ]

R

LLT--you brat! Throwing me out of thread, I see how it is!

I WAS gonna say how FLIPPIN' KICK ASS that album turned out...and that the colors are AMAZING and that I WOULD TOTALLY WANT ONE MYSELF....But I guess I won't. SO :P!!!

HAHAHA!

In all seriousness though, that is awesome! :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies