Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

C

insta show!!! kick ass.......adding to my calendar now!! sweet cd cover...really like how tight it feels...

Looking great LLT! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my electric zither practice.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 12:19 AM

On 2007-06-06 23:39, little lost tiki wrote:

Paipo! I tell ya-TC is the place to be if you want pure unadulterated Inspiration! Glad you like the tropical inspired ones...If you're serious about a tat sleeve-gimme a Pm and I can kick out something for you! Consider me your humble servant!

When I can find someone who can do your work justice I'll take you up on that. Seriously! I still have 1 1/2 arms I plan to fill over the next few years.
...and you're right about the inspiration - between yourself and a whole heap of others in creating (too many to mention these days!) I never have to look far for creative motivation these days. I just wish some of my other favourite artists were half as prolific as you. I don't know of any other guys who could pull off an off-the-cuff one man show with no notice!

Ken, Ken....... your art takes me away to places I want to be............

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 12:55 AM

You want to be in an insane asylum?

Being that Crazy Al is busy playing with clay

( and not in the need of my scrap bins),

I'm gonna whip up a pile of assorted shapes and sizes for

Ol' Kinny Boy, to play with.

Should be fun to see what he does with em.

p.s. Dude. The colors in that last one are arrrrsome!

Hey llt- This latest cd cover is really cool... Very hypnotique!

On 2007-06-03 09:08, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I really like the CD cover design as is. That is fucking cool. What band are you doing it for?? The painting with the Bamboo Ben Frame is really nice too.

Whats the deal man? You can't answer my questions?? I do like the new stuff you added to it.

Hello Children!
well...Finally finished "Polynesian Butterfly" and thought I'd share it with y'all before i e-mail it to Populele tomorrow! I hope he smiles REEEEEEEEAL BIG!
I'm so excited that I'm gonna post the pix first and responses to all my TC friends last! OOOH!

Here's some details....

and here's the three butterflies taking off into the night....

and here's the faux weaved rattan I did for the side...

and now onto the comments....
ravenne:you'll encounter much bratiness around TC...check out some old Tonga Hut threads for that! Thanks for enjoying!
Clysdalle:Did you find that sealant? If you can't,remind me and I'll bring the bottle to the show! Hope to see you and the lady there on the 16th!
suburbanpagan: Thanks!You need to bring that electric zither to the studio sometime!!! Painting,and the Zither..is there nothing you can't accomplish?
Paipo: thank YOU for all the 3-dimensional inspiration you provide! I feel like a cheater sometimes because all i gotta do is mix paint /apply/seal/frame...But with wood AND stone,that's a whole different story and mindset....Glad us Other Crafts folks can motivate you to create the insane stones you've been carving! OC (other Craft's) in the HIZZY! As for the One Man Retrospective with no notice.... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24419&forum=17&0
A tat for your arm wouldn't be hard in that style-just the filling in...owtch!
Hiphipahula: Thank you so much! i often wanna go there too! Glad i could provide you with a momentary voyage!
GROG:insane asylums are quite nice these days! Cable,prescription meds on call,and everyone acts like they like you! It's wonderful! i would recommend you go there! :)
Ben: Thanks man! It was great seein you and missus Boo! Assorted Shapes and Sizes!? You weren't Kidding! I will create some works to make you proud! And your new haircut looks
ever so Snazzy!
SamGAm: Mahalo man! I keep getting blown away with every new work! Really liking your green version of Big Daddy Roth,especially the natural ground instead of white,makes the piece warmer....and whussup with that shrunken clown head?

On 2007-06-03 09:08, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I really like the CD cover design as is. That is fucking cool. What band are you doing it for??

Spermy...I'll answer that question with a previous post.....

Well, the CD is for a gentleman named Populele..he's a ukulele player from Chi-town
and a truly talented and nice guy! this will be for his album "Polynesian Butterfly".
If you'd like to hear some of his music and some youtubes of his performances go check out his mySpace address http://www.myspace.com/populele
Check out his version of " Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction!
Pop him a message and tell him Ken sent ya!

thanks for diggin the work! Good meetin you and the missus a few weeks back!

Kenny, Wow...wow... and...wow! The CD cover is a psychedelic tiki pop treat! Is it really that good, or did some one slip me a funny fungus? (u never know here on the B. I.)
LUV YR STUF!

Hey llt- A beautiful piece indeed! WOWWWWWIE! Great colors and motion to it... Since it's going on a cd, it's great that you have the original painting too! I'd hold onto that! Excellent work.

SamGAm: Mahalo man! I keep getting blown away with every new work! Really liking your green version of Big Daddy Roth,especially the natural ground instead of white,makes the piece warmer....and whussup with that shrunken clown head?

Oh, the shrunken clown was just a fun thing I worked on yesterday. My little girl has been asking when I'll draw a shrunken clown....

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2007-06-10 16:23 ]

Really beautiful piece, Ken!

That painting is magical!

C

Very nice!! I want my dreams to look like that!or maybe not cause then I'll wouldn't want to wake up ever again...(I would be the sleeping smiling(not so)beauty) :D
Congrats!!

Fantastic. I could really get lost in that one.

Hi Kiddies! thought i'd post some watercolors i've done lately today! Did a lotta sketchbook stuff, but i'd rather be painting,so i'll scan them some other day!
TikiShark: Mahalo Brad! In person the PB is pretty Zowiee! No funny fungus,but maybe a sip from a creature mug....
Sam:Man! my stepkid is all girly-girl! never any request for skulls or shrunken clown heads! Aren't you glad it runs in your family? As for keeping the butterfly...wife called dibs on it! But i may do prints of it in the future! Thanks!!!
And many thanks to Kevvy G the pagan and Spermy (are you guys coming to the show this Sat? I think a bunch of TCers are showing their faces!),and thanks you Clarita and Alohastation! I wish I could fly you guys down!
Well, to prove I'm no slacker,here's some ink/watercolor/sharpie/and on some of them,Bleach pen!It erases the color of the ink wash where you brush or write it! I recommend the pen-saves your brushes! And they smell gooooood!
Here's one i did for the wifey(she gets all the good ones!)

Those were the ones I did the bleach with! try it at home!
And here's some other quickie watercolor/ink drawings for the Big ol Tiki Bash! I'll have a couple hundred drawings for sale in some folders!

Here's a Matisse inspired one....kinda

Here's 2 more musings on the journey project....

And I'll bid you goodnight with an Orongo piece...
"the Awakening Volcano"

Aloha!

Good Golly! You really are fabulous Ken.

On 2007-06-11 20:26, little lost tiki wrote:

Sam:Man! my stepkid is all girly-girl! never any request for skulls or shrunken clown heads! Aren't you glad it runs in your family? As for keeping the butterfly...wife called dibs on it! But i may do prints of it in the future! Thanks!!!

Ken-

I have a collection of pictures she's done - many when she was 4 (she's 6 now). Among them, she did a shrunken clown, Frank Sinatra, "Tiki-men" (as she calls them), and last but not least, the Three Stooges. Of course they are all things that she sees me watching or talking about, but she is interested enough to draw them. She's also into mermaids and princesses...

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

love the drawing kenny.....I could not find the stuff you recommended so I grabbed everything in my garage and started testing...low and behold I found that Shellac in a spray can worked perfect! I'd rather it be a brush on so I'm going to order some of the stuff you said but in a pinch trusty old spraylac did the job!

Da Polynesian Butterfly "flutters my soul"... one of my new favorites.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2007 7:59 PM

This is what the final CD cover will look like with the title and the artists name:

absolutely stunning kinny! my favorite llt yet.

Aloha Everybody!
i'd like to start this off with a big thank you to all of you on Tiki Central! I've been on here for a year and what a fun time it has been! I've laughed hard,learned alot,and met a bunch of great new friends and kind understanding fellow artists and ruffians!Thank you for all the great advice, encouraging words,and boundless inspiration!
I did 2 ink/bleach drawings and one half-done drippy one that I think you'll like!
"the Cannibal's Fancy Hat"

"the Arrival"

and lastly, "the Treehouse",I dripped some red down the watercolor paper/added water to the drips to make lighter,more distant ones,then blotted it with a paper towel,and took my ink straight from the dropper and carefully drew in the vines and leaves....after it dries,just add a finepoint sharpie!

Well, all this anniversary celebrating has cashed in my ticket!
off to work tomorrow,and then painting after work! Life is good...

Love your linework Ken! Looks so crisp against the nice soft colors! Excellent!

Great stuff and congratulations on brightening our tiki lives for the past year.
I never miss updates on this thread and judging from all photo indications you are
a great guy as well as a great artist.
I love the Cannibal's fancy hat!
Just don't get all hoity-toity and disappear on us!

OK Mister Busy-o-rama, Take a dayy off already, after a whole year of posting great art you deserve a rest. That will give the rest of us a chance to catch up.
Thanks for all the inspiration and art lessons. Dawn

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 13, 2007 8:07 PM

Not bad mate, but try adding some more details and colour to liven it up a little. I mean, it's okay for a beginner, but push yourself to make it better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice work mate, it's been good to have you on here. Here's to more years and lots more paintings to come! :D

F

LLT, happy anniversary. Lovin the CD cover (and the other stuff) the amount of detail that you cram into your pieces is insane. I hope the next year gets even better thatn this past one.

On 2007-06-13 09:24, Sophista-tiki wrote:
OK Mister Busy-o-rama, Take a dayy off already, after a whole year of posting great art you deserve a rest. That will give the rest of us a chance to catch up.
Thanks for all the inspiration and art lessons. Dawn

no rest for kinny! he's starting a piece for me. :D happy anniversary llt! you've made tc a better place with your beautiful art and hilarious posts.

B

I Swear, you're Losin'it mate, gone flippin' Mad. How can you do the stuff you do and be Sane? What is Sane anyhow. Unbelievable stuff Ken, Love it, Love it, Love it!

B

I Swear, you're Losin'it mate, gone flippin' Mad. How can you do the stuff you do and be Sane? What is Sane anyhow. Unbelievable stuff Ken, Love it, Love it, Love it!

T

Hey LLT sleep much?

I see your "Arrival" watercolor and I reminds me of something. Maybe the "the Talking Palms" painting with my added "Palm" tree. No, its cool. Those shields in Polynesia are some of the best 2-d design work they have, actually really the only.

Looking over your body of work, Do you happen to like tiki?

ps. the stuff you have over in Events is really some different stuff then what we see here.

LLT, I'm really digging the MELANESIAN Vanuatu study. The CD cover has got to be one of your very best. DIG! I like your expressive pieces too. The drips with blotting are funky. Mr. Cannibal's hat is pimpin'.

--Peace, now more than ever.--
ST

Hello Everybody!
been busy showin and makin art this whole week,haven't had time to rest! But i have a special surprise......a new one started!
but First....

suburbanpagan:thanks for noticing the linework! Spent many years as a youth doing studies of Jack Kirby Thors mixed with Durer's woodcuts! I try to keep a balance between drawing and painting time,but drawing usually gets more time...(as there's no setup necessary!)Do you draw a lot? Would love to see some of your sketchbook pages!

congatiki:Thank you so much for actually reading all this stuff! Before TC,the only time i'd hear any feedback was at art shows or the rare artist gatherings at the studio....I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to have access to the knowledge and advice of so many talented folks!It's been a great year-I'm hooked! don't worry about the Hoity Toity part,i'll still be a retard-artist guy....but with Bodyguards. I like the Cannibal's Fancy Hat too! Maybe a painting for the big ol' Tiki Bash....

Sophista-tiki: not a chance! Slow down? Can't do it! I'll have plenty of rest time in my coffin awaiting that trumpet! Plus you heard Bullet,i got woiks to do! I consider these circles under my eyes as badges of dedication! Speaking of BUSYBEES...you're no slacker yourself! Lookit all those shows you're in...plus the Polypop Museum....sheesh! I hope there's an artist Rest Home we can all retire to someday!

Hewey:Thanks for the advice! One must always strive to do beter each painting! :) It has been a great year,and it's because of gents like you!
frostiki: I'll try my best to make this year better than next! In fact,I hope everyone will try that! As for all the detail,the more details,the more it tells me a story,and the more story,the better the piece...Got patrons from 12 years ago,telling me about recently discovered details in their paintings! Glad you like the CD cover!Smile!

kingstiedye:a Big Thank You to you!
Thanks for not only the commission,but for adopting the Foggy Morning! I think it'll look splendid in your Tiki Museum!

Thanks also for tolerating our off-beat antics on the events threads!

Benzart:Losing it? Done lost it my friend! ( at least I'm not crazy enough to double-post..yet!
:lol: )Sanity is overrated!It's always the duty of the shaman,the social observer,the Historian,and the artist to keep one foot in the real world and the other slightly detached-observing and learning from that other place.I know you go there ...often!Thank you for all your wonderful creations and advice and insight and gentle humor!!!

teaKs:I agree about the Polynesian Shields...their power and graphic strength and rawness,simply incredible works,pieces of art,yet made outside of the context of civilized art-almost like a self-contained traditional art movement! Glad you checked out some of the other work on the "Last Minute" thread! Gotta feed the Brain-the brain wants more challenges and mysteries to unravel! I stay up late a lot,but no, I don't miss much sleep 'cause I loves my naps!

Sneaky:Been diggin your new panels and the series that they're becoming!You more than anyone have probably noticed some of the similarity in themes and appearances of totems and tikis and masks throughout the world.Almost like a connection unseen.....Thanks for diggin on Vanuatu and the polynesian Butterfly! Do you sleep much?

Okay folks!Here it is...the beginnings of my commission for ktd. "Cannibal Island" is the working title for now! Bullet's requests were for something in the same style as Polynesian Butterfly/same kinda colors-intensity/a volcano/palms/tikis/huts/a Van Gogh starry Night influenced sky/a river,if i could fit it in/and skulls...Simple enough instructions ! So, I banged out a sketchbook entry and ink drawing just to get a grip on ground color placements....

The colors in the above sketch weren't that poppy vibrant psycho palette like the
Polynesian butterfly,soooo...
I'm currently on phase 2 out of 4 "phases" in this style.
Phase 1 is sketching it out lightly then coloring it in-i used acrylics and did a basic abstract
to indicate loosely what goes where...(did that last Thursday night and forgot to bring my camera to the studio last friday...sorry! lost to the ages....)
Sealant-Satin finish i use-not too shiny,not too matte.....
Phase 2 is all about the indigo-fleshing out the initial forms and figuring out how to flow the
landscape and composition-where does the eye want to go...
Sealant
then i apply colors-say...all white areas around the stars
Sealant
green grass/palm tree details
Sealant
etc. etc. etc.
this is where I'm at right now...

Phase 3
after all the colors are applied-there's a lot of little sloppy(but not in a good way) overlaps/awkward areas/places that need to be "crisper"-the Indigo goes back over lines and general cleanup....
SealantSealantSealant
Phase 4 the Bling phase...
i'm starting to photograph embellished pieces BEFORE the puff paints and twinkly zing stuff-then i apply the twinkly zing stuff AND the glow in the dark-it's semi-opaque soi try to place it in areas and outlines that enhance the lighting That way it looks good both day and night!
Here's some details...

So that's what I've been working on this week!
Oh! Almost forgot these two....

It's late! Gotta go to work,then the dentist after work! Ugh!
But after that,it's Art Supply Warehouse!!! Yippee!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 20, 2007 1:44 AM

On 2007-06-20 00:09, little lost tiki wrote:

Love this one! The little fat guy looks so sad and pathetic. Bullet's piece is looking splendid too. The cannibal theme seems to strike quite a chord with you Mr Ruzic...
You might have something else to go yippee! about in the next day or so too...fingers crossed!

dude, i love "cannibal island". i couldn't be more stoked! the sketches and detailed desription of your processs are very interesting. i have a few paintings i can never walk past without stopping to stare. i'm sure this will be one. i think "the foggy morning" will look great in my hut too. big mahaloz braddah kinny!

Lookin' great as always, Bro!! Glad to see your goods among the best in Bullets collection.. its well deserved all around... You guys are both topnotch..

P

bullet, you're lucky to get that. i almost bought it a couple of months ago, but i was broke. it's a beautiful piece. make sure and get the special "kinny blessing".

(he licks the back.)

kinny, i have a great idea for you. i'll PM you.

C

...That cannibal is eating to much humans, he needs to start a vegetarian diet asap!
Greetings! great stuff as always round here!

H

Heavens to mergatroid! You put out stuff at an alarming rate---or I'm just slow to catch up wit what my peeples are doing (true). Fantastic, colorful mess as usual!! Love the CD. Geeez, my eyes are feeling tickley....gotta go smoke.....rock on wit ya bad sef!

Ooooooh, I like the colors on the cannibal. Mustard to a sky blue. It makes the blue totally super pop! Very interesting!

HELLO FRIENDS!
Paipo!-Got's my moai Tangata Manu pendant and it is a work of great beauty! Blows me away,the detail you got in there! smile! Perfect! Thank You! Sported him to the Safari Sam's Tiki Art Show and amazed Squid and the crew with it! ThankYou!I'll get a shot of it on when I land! Cannibals are a perfect theme,because you can take it either way-deadly serious,or a light kind of "danse macabre" jolliness to it! I'm really into the sad chubby victim praying for mercy or to the gods for a quick rescue! You got any more cannibals up your sleeve?

kingstiedye-thanks again Sir!I just shot you an e-mail with some more details that even the TCers won't see!

Freddie-Mahalo Braddah! August is right around the corner! I'll have all the paintings trip-wired by then!

pdrake-i dunno what you're talking about..."lickin the back"? hmmmmmm
and sorry perry,i warned you someone was gonna hop on that "Foggy Morning" piece... :(
There's still plenty of paintings awaiting adoption...You and Kate should come visit the studio sometime! :)

Clarita-i think i'll paint up a vegetarian cannibal some time in the future! Thank you a million
Tiki Sister from Argentina!

surf-n-turf-It's really hard to post sometimes cause i always have paintings either in process or
ready to start....hope these can return some of the inspiration your basement,gable ,and other work has given this white-haired maniac! You rock on witchoobadseff!

Tikishark-lovin the mustard and blue...Old menus/prints/matchbooks/even paintings can provide some of the best colorways-and sometimes those are the 2 colors you have a lot of!
Speaking of color...stoked to see that the colors are beginning on your Masterwork! Gorgeous!

Okay folks-here's some of the new work...my hands are carpal tunnel-ling,so i'm gonna make these short and sweet!
"Cannibal Island"-progress shot

Here's some details...

FIVE STORY TIKI!!!!

Remember how i said that Bamboo Ben dumped a bunch of
clunkers in my truck last time I visited him? Well, here's some
fruits of that collaboration...
First,the study...

the finished PsychoKu(working title...)

here's a detail...

Here's two of the shields i got from the parking lot sale...
i kept his art on the opposite side-that way the owner can
have an authentic Bamboo Ben piece or poseur LLT piece,
whatever their mood!
Here's a greeney!

Here's an orangey!

and "the Singing Fish" with B-Ben frame rockin in the free world!

And Coming Soon!
The Chinese pinwheel Firework Revolving Bamboo of Death,
or something like that! Thanks Ben! ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Also did some wee ones for the Big old TikiBash!
"Three Shields" Ink/bleach/paintpen

"Four Hands-One Club"

and "Lucky Day"

Enjoy Folks! I'm gonna go pass out! :)

Deeaaaamn...Beautiful items as always, Kinney! The detail on your paintings are soo intense, my ojos are always sore after checkin 'em out.

C

and "the Singing Fish" with B-Ben frame rockin in the free world!

And Coming Soon!
The Chinese pinwheel Firework Revolving Bamboo of Death,
or something like that! Thanks Ben! ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

YAY! on this colaboration!!! The fish is already rocking for sure! And I can't wait to see the Chinise don't know what!!

And about the vegetarian cannibal, I think what we really want is for you to tell us the story (or bed time story), of him or any other character....... Please... You can practice the story here with us, and then go illustrate it.... That would be so great...... We could read a little before going to sleep and dream about this little`lost worlds...... :D

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2007 8:54 PM

Loving this collaboration with Bamboo Ben - Its ARrrrrrrsome! :D

Aloha Crew!
Thank you Freddie,hewey and Clarita....
i promise to free up some room for some tiki bedtime stories soon! :)
Glad y'all like the benken collaborations...BambooBen is such a living legend that i sometimes
feel like I'm desecrating his handiwork...But then you see the stoke on his face and it all goes
away! What a bunch of fun projects and what an honor!
Just took down "the last Minute" show after work and dropped it all off at the studio for hanging on Friday...Can't wait to hide all those white wallspaces!
well,anyways,my older stepkid is redoing her room over in Garden Grove and my wife is all excited about helping her redecorate...Their theme is pink....so of course,seeing as i have nothing better to do,i was recruited to paint her a pink tiger...(she has a tiger tattoo so the theme was easy) Anyways,thought i'd share this before delivering it on friday!
Hello pink Tiger!
Goodbye Pink Tiger!
I barely knew ye....

Well, i mixed gouache and gesso (pink and purple) over the background and grabbed some olive green for the leaves and roughed them in around 7 and let it sit and dry until around 9:30...
Then I just freehand brushed in the tiger (hence the kinda awkward pose/composition) and added the lighting with...you guessed it ! Naples yellow/some white for teeth and eyes and some light blue highlights to bring out the dark indigo of the the "blackline"...Had the painting done by 1:15 and was all washed up and toothbrushed by 1:40...what a blur!
Oh well! here's some details!
the back....

and the face! RAWR!

That's it for that lil interlude! Goodnight friends!

Dude!!!

YOU

ARE

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( in a gnarley way!!!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies