Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 2:13 PM

Faaaaar out man!

I like the way "my" guy has come along - he may not be the biggest but he's the star of the show! Those little waves in the other painting are spot-on too...full of energy and movement.
NOW WHERE'S MY POGO-MAN???!!

yeah, paipo's guy is my favorite. this piece is progressing beautifully.

just took a print of "seated cannibal king" down to the tattoo shop. shouldn't be too long now. maybe a week or two. i'll post a pic here when it's done.

Man, Ken - these pieces are cool, colors and all. The detail is staggering to me...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 8:56 PM

Really digging these cannibal pieces mate - vey cool :D And yeh, love the energy and lighting with the waves smashin on that island too.

AAAAAAAAALLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAAA!
How is everybody feelin tonight? Are we feelin Gooooooood?
Are we feelin fine? Goood....Goood!
Congatiki-thanks for watching the TikiShark speed progress! i'll try to makee some bigger leaps! TPP factor? makes me think of Toliet Paper too much! Glad you like it ! I get bored easily, so the more characters in there,the more i can think about!
Ben! I need to put a MADE IN CHINA electric shock torture toy near the easel just to keep me up on those long nights! At least it's cooler now!
you Rock Home Depot Boy!
Ravers-yeah, the citron/limey yellow really punched it! i mix it with this satin ink varnish medium so it doesn't smear unless i want it to and BAM! Did some more of that color wash and it's getting a very cool effect-especially where the magenta meets the greens....they fight like Betas and make your eyes go POP! Thanks gurl!
Paipo-yeah...He deserves his own piece.....and i started POGO/STILT MARQ MAN! scroll down....
Kingstiedye-Can't wait to see this thing on your skin! I'm bettin you go lightly on that crosshatching!!! I feel truly honored you would get a tat of the Cannibal King!
Sam!-Hey mug painter!!!! Lovin the pinstriped Shrunkeyhead and just wondering how you can top Criswell!!!! Rock On!
Hewey!
Thanks so much for sending that Legends of PNG book!enough Inspiration to provide for a handful of pieces!!!! Some of the paintings in the book have a Ryder/Turner-esque wave vibe to em!Water is so elusive,it's hard to nail the right look and to make it believable....
(unless you're that bastard TikiShark! :lol:)
The one legend with the skull spirit replacing the twin brother and hunting food with him is already caressing my gray matter! Thanks again for that surprise package!
well, had the day off today instead of friday,but had to bring the truck in for its 100,000...checkup.... 6 hours later and they haven't even drove it around for a test BEFORE the tune-up! Sheesh! well, at least i gots to work on the cannibal Totem! maybe i can sacrifice a few car repairman under it sometime soon!!!!
Anywaaaaaaaaaaaays..i was stuck at home, but it was cooler and got some stuff done! here it si chillens!

and here's some minor details-mostly on the lips....boring huh?

Got the second island and further along on the celestial explorers today! Wahine and Kane....
"the Arrival" progress pix!

i added less definition to the background island to give it some distance...
and started a new fellar!

Pogoboy for paipo!!!!
check out the HAM trying to squeeze into the shot! just like on the evening news!

Here's the other side of the distant island...

Wobbly craft Guy!

the lime washes over these gives it such a warm POP!!!! ZAM!!!
a few more details on Sun Head....

warmed up the cloud beams....

a lil more touching up of Paipo's troop transport vehicle!

and lastly this crazy crew full-throttling towards the island!

Phew! Think I'll stop for a ciggie!
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 7:44 PM

It's funny, you still manage to blow me away every new painting, with so much colour and detail - and your damn speed! :lol: Love your work, and no probs with the book :D

R

It's really amazing how you can seclude each image and almost have it be its own painting, but then you realize they are all slapped together on one and it's like: holy crap my brain!

Lovin' it so far!

Keep gooooooing! :D :D :D

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 8:20 PM

Can you hear me? I'm banging my head on the wall right now....I'm stunned and flappy lipped over the new work boss!

I had heard that you had a 9 to 5...how do you do all this work? Is there another you that you stow away charging in the closet at night....unplug him in the morning to paint while you go to work? Inquiring minds need to know.

J

Yay! I love that you snuck in a birdman!

Hey Ken- Looking great! There's more going on in that painting than one can take in at one time...... As always, excellent and hypnotic!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 12:23 AM

On 2007-09-06 19:55, ravenne wrote:
It's really amazing how you can seclude each image and almost have it be its own painting, but then you realize they are all slapped together on one and it's like: holy crap my brain!

Those are GROG's thoughts EXACTLY. Take the big painting and cut out all the little individual tiki guys as small lttle exquisite jewels.

On 2007-09-07 00:23, GROG wrote:

Those are GROG's thoughts EXACTLY. Take the big painting and cut out all the little individual tiki guys as small lttle exquisite jewels.

quote ( * )
QUOTE (O )

Hey LLT, looking good! What they said... really!
ST

On 2007-09-07 00:23, GROG wrote:

....and, cut them like a puzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzle.

( my last letter of alphabet on keyboard is on glue)

Kia ora Kinny! Well Ive finally figured out why Im not visiting your thread so often anymore (10 pages behind - forgive me): Open a page to catch up and my poor old dail-up connection has got 20-40+ images to deal with (x10 pages behind..)

• I was also just thinking of how your 'detail' pics are compositions in themselves; I guess you have 'composure' in your blood & just cant help it.. Weird how people seem to 'share' thoughts/ideas sometimes -synchronistiki thinking..

If my brain and your Art had a fight; your Art would win.

Go on, keep painting & posting.. I know Ill never keep up. Awesome work. You amaze...

Tama :)

B

Here I am after an hour on One page of your thread. Love how you cram So Much stuff into such seemingly small spaces making them huge. Where do you find all these tikis and peeps hiding in your mind? Do you have to search them out or do they come out with hands raised,"ME ME ME"? Remarkable stuff LLT!

VROOOOOOOOOOM! Can't stop to chat too long! Paint! paint! Paint!
Hewey-thanks again mate! Expect the unexpected when you least expect it!
Raver! GROG! Sneaks!Ben! Tama! Benz!Sam! etc. etc.
Thanks kiddies!Glad i could excite ya ! Now go create!
yeah! I like to think of each area as a little painting..like in a building-each area has it's occupants and stories....Keeps me interested....and i can always do smaller pieces of the detail characters! Composition-don't think too much about it to worry...hence the awkward clumsy flow of some of these! (which isn't bad if the theme demands it!)
Babalu! It's coffee and not much sleep or social activities.....
And to answer Benzart's inquiry...it's inspiration from reading and books..i'll read about a certain tribe or artifact and start delving around and learning little bits about em (not that i'll use all or even a little bit of that info-it gives me a starting reference!) Or i may just open a book, o go thru my reference files and BAM! Something talks to you! So you gotta draw it and give it a story,a life only you can give it! Also, the more ya draw and paint-the more a visual vocabulary is shaped...stuff you can mix and match later...
and yes Jen....i had to put a Tangata Manu in there! How else would they of gotten here?
Okay! enough chit-chatting! Here's 2 i did in the past 2 evenings....i like em both ,but i think this first one is makin my face pucker!

i like how all the skulls are smiling! It makes for a "HUH?" moment!
and here's the second guy....wearing a coronation helmet of sorts!

back to the Big piece! Alohaw!

R

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I lOooOooove the skull drawings!

Especially the smiley ones! I gotta show you my sketchbook dedicated to studies on various skulls, I even had the opportunity to draw a the skull of a whale...maaan was that awesome! (the whale was done on a huge piece-a paper!)

Wonder is teaks will count these skulls...

:lol:

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 5:00 AM

39 on the second.

I give up, you win. I learned my lesson, no more counting for me.

55?....you forgot the 5 IMPLIED skulls on the other end of his throne....
or else it would collapse! Plus, there's 4 skulls in his belly and his actual skull!
would make it a grand total of 65!!!!! :lol:
so i'll give ya 3/4 credit!!!!
Thanks Count Teaks! :D

you are a freakin' nut kinny! i love it! i have an appointment at the tattoo shop tomorrow. :D

LLT~

Yeah! Skulls! More Skulls! Ah haha hah haha hahahahhaha!!

Also, very nice color choices!

This is one fun series you're doing LLT!
Nice and deathuhlishus!
Skulls is cool! uh huh huh uh huh huh!

C

This series asks for an animation version (a little flash clip maybe...)!I can see it move!...

H

HOTDAAAAAYUM, Ruzic! I have just spent a good part of the day catching up on your thread. I'm stunned at how much I've missed which is equivalent to = how much you've created since I've been a TC slacker here lately. Luvvin all the bonz!! Keep on rockin' witya bad sef!

These are killer pieces, Ken. The subject matter reminds me of that place in Sicily where all of the ancient skulls are tossed around in huge piles. I forget the name of the place..... Great pieces! Hey, skulls are cool... the more the merrier, right???? :wink:

Hey Ken, love those new cannibal king pieces man. I have a thing for green and really dig the top one. Are these for the show in November?

Yo, Bull!! Kinney has got soo many cool designs how did you limit it to 1. AND, which one is it?? Look forward to seein' the glossy ink. Maholla!! fBalls

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Sep 15, 2007 7:25 AM

I really enjoy these cannibal pieces. "The Arrival" is a mind blower. Wicked.

B

LLLLLLLTTT---

Did you stay up late painting?

I must thank you, squid, and Holden....I use to drink 6 to 8 cups of coffee each and every damn day....now, I only drink 1 cup!

I feel healthy! Like a new man!

ALOHAW GANG!
Got a lotta work done this week, but only got one computer-ready...sorry!
Check back in a day or two!
kingstiedye-Stoked you'll be gettin that tat soon! With all that crosshatching
i would venture to say that it's YOU who is nuts! Mahalos!
Here's a pic of it for Freddie Ballz! YO!

TikiShark! Thanks Art-Brother Mutual inspirationer! wait til you see the NEW
Cannibal King I'll be posting SOON! around 60 skulls....and BIG! I can tell that
you're a color lover too! If you play on watercolor paper with ink,you can
take a lot more chances and believe me! Without restrictions and notions
colors can go take you ANYWHERE! :D
Sneaky-yeah...i guess it is turning into a series...i prefer the term "jag" tho!
thanks for poppin by for all the fun!
Clarita! Lovin your new candle-what a cute face on him! As for animation,i would
suggest opening and closing your eyes very fast while looking at the pictures! That
will make them MOVE!
Surf and Turf Howland! Welcome back from Limbo!
Your Space is looking so great
at the homefront!
Thanks for taking the time and catching up!
SamGAm-I know what you're talking about...
There's some catacombs and stuff made
out of the bones of all the monks-structural and decorative combinations...
Equipping the helmets with all those skulls kinda evoked that a bit....
Maybe i should work on the Cannibal king's HUT!
Wow! Thanks for the inspiration! You're a good kid!
Swampfire!-Mahalos for visiting!Cannot wait to hang in November!
Green is really an awesome color!
Olive/Lime-green/hunter green...sigh....
None of those drawings are going into the show
BUT seeing as I've done so many studies...
i may get an inkling to paint a
BIG Cannibal King for the show...
and I'll make it as BIG as YOU!!! Giant Size! :D
Freddie-that pic you were wonderin about is up above!
I think one-once you pick it-is enough!
Tabu-Thanks man! I'll have some Arrival pics soon! It's 97% done!
What have you been working on lately?
Babalu!- :lol: Hilarious! My wife is way stoked too!
Now I'm down from 8 cups a day to only two (KaKaKa) mugs a day!
Not much to share this posting but this little fun drawing....
After doing the covers for the books and a Christmas card, i had always
wanted to do a complete Tiki Alphabet...just for giggles...
WELL.....didn't feel like painting one night so i kicked out this...
Enjoy!

Awesome alphabet, LLT! My girls would dig that! Nice!

That is great....bet WooHoo could use that in her classroom...the kids would really love the ABCs then. :)

S
squid posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 9:51 AM

On 2007-09-15 08:34, Babalu wrote:
LLLLLLLTTT---

Did you stay up late painting?

I must thank you, squid, and Holden....I use to drink 6 to 8 cups of coffee each and every damn day....now, I only drink 1 cup!

I feel healthy! Like a new man!

You are quite welcome. I'm in the same coffee club as you. You can thank me with that Cougar if you like. :wink:

R

On 2007-09-15 21:34, little lost tiki wrote:

That is so ridiculously adorable! My lil nephew would love it!

The "L" and "X" are my favorite :lol:

C

hahaha! love the alphabet, nice job!

aawwweee so tikiii alphabeteee. would make an excelent poster for any kids room ,,big or little! I want one.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 1:44 PM

I think the consensus is you better get some posters of that printed up RIGHT NOW! Tiki kids are cool kids!

T

i see teakey beat me to the punch.

That alphabet is appealing to either young or old, which is pretty hard to accomplish if you think about it. Like the art in a Dr. Seuss book - cool on so many levels... Great going, Ken!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-09-18 22:25 ]

![](http://www.thetackytiki.com/butt trumpet.jpg)
Hey! This is fun! Thanks Ken!

R

On 2007-09-19 11:07, suburbanpagan wrote:
![](http://www.thetackytiki.com/butt trumpet.jpg)
Hey! This is fun! Thanks Ken!

LMAO! :lol:

Hey Kids! Sorry to interrupt your fun-n-games but this week I been BUSY BUSY BUSY!
Started AND finished a bunch of stuff...will reply to any questions in the near future...
got so much to share,so i'll give it to ya in small bursts...a couple of new dumps every few days...
just for the time being...but i'm BUSY! Got a tonga Hut Show with Tiki Tony and Diablo, so i gotta
look Smart! :D
Of the pile of work I'm currently tackling,i finished a HUGE "Dance of the Cannibal king" It's around
16x 20-but it's not that, it's some fancy french measurement!
Here he is! (excuse the so-so quality...no time to scan this in 4 pieces and reassemble!)

Top!

Bottom

Looooooook into my eeeeeyes!

Oh Great! I just saw that i forgot to shade the skulls on the left!
Grrrrrrrrrreat....how embarrassing.....
More art -a lot more art later! maybe even tonight if i drink enough coffee!
All righty! before i take a ciggie break and begin packin up my truck for after-work studio session,here's a couple more!
Two new Ambush pieces! lovin that theme! AMBUSH!
(again, sorry for the quality-faster to shoot than scan today!

detail one!

detail two-Watch Out!

here's the second one i started...i like the texture and vibe already!

detail!

gotta go smoke ciggies! bye fer now!
Well I'm back and so, seeing as i'm only tired,and not super-tired...
here's some more!
The Lonely island is FINALLY done (paint-wise) I was having a problem with an area of it-mulled it over-then wrote my mutual inspiration Pact member TikiShark and he confirmed my theories! My Hero!
So here it is....

Here's the area that was getting this guy lost...so i did a few more washes and shading to set the island back and to bring him forward!
COME TO MEEEEEE!

then i also added some birds to give the viewer a sense of scale....

Then i looked at the frame and it seemed real ....crappy to me
so i started to dremel it!

Here's a close-up....What a pain in the butt! Those variegated corduroy
wood frames are kinda hard to dremel into! Oh Well! Started it-now i gotta finish it! Here's a detail!

Speaking of the dremel, i began a "King of Cannibal Island" piece !
Here's the study of the frame and the piece...

Here's the whole piece so far...

If you remember about a year back-Squid gave me these cool pieces of wood! Anyways, i did a "Praying Tangata Manu" with one-and this one has been collecting black widow spiderwebs for months! Until now....

this detail was a pain in the patooty on the last piece! ZOINKS!

this part's gonna be fun!

and now for the last surprise......
What is it Ken?

Please tell us!

Pretty Pleeeease?

well, if those clues weren't enough.....
I finished the Arrival! Yippee!

(except the sides....but that shouldn't take long....)

And now for the details-the little personalities and stories of each of these brave explorers.....
this one's fer Paipo!

Say Cheese!

Check out my Belly!

i like the light flashes and the sense of distance you get right here....

Neck Throttle Man! VROOOOOM!

Four-Armed Shield Man!

ready for landing on the Right!

ready for landing on the left!

SunHead...

very stoked to be a vehicle.....

this guy reminds me of the Puppet Master-this old fantastic Four villian! jack kirby used to draw him soo Rad! (Joe Sinnot did the inking and it twas PERFECT!)

i like this passenger/vehicle set-up as well! Ride in STYLE!

here's wiggly-wobbly guy!

a major closeup for all you detail-oriented art geeks.....

Drippy approaching the surface...

a lil small background shield...

That's it.....Sorry for lagging on the posting! But hey! You got a fun alphabet to be all juvenile with for a few days.....I'm going to BED!
Peace OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!
Mahalos for visiting this post and reading my ramblings!
I luvs YEW! :D

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-09-20 00:00 ]

R

On 2007-09-19 22:39, little lost tiki wrote:

Oh Great! I just saw that i forgot to shade the skulls on the left!
Grrrrrrrrrreat....how embarassing.....

Those two lil fellers are too happy to care!

One can only imagine what they were all thinkin or doin before they died! I love the smiley skulls tho!

The whole Dance of the Cannibal piece tho, is kick arse! :D I love it!

EDIT: dang kin! Didn't think you were going to re-edit yer post!

the arrival is AWWWEEEESSSSOOOMEEE!!! that rocks so hard!!! WEEWEEROCKERS hard! :o :D!

I wish I were an Egg.

DON'T MAKE FUN OF MAH DREAMS!!!

[ Edited by: ravenne 2007-09-20 00:07 ]

Wow dude! Can't wait to see the carved piece come along....also, really cool to see your washes before inking! Nice work as usual

C

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Plop!!

T
Tabu posted on Fri, Sep 21, 2007 2:15 PM

"The Arrival" rocks. You are insane. Keep going.

the first 3 hour session was friday. ouch!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies