Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Freaky Boutiki San Diego, CA (store)

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Name:The Freaky Boutiki (located inside The Freak Factory)
Type:store
Street:3742 Mission Blvd.
City:SanDiego (North Mission)
State:CA
Zip:92109
Phone:858-488-4924

Description:
In old North Mission Beach (San Diego). Mugs, masks, tikis, idols, Hawaiian shirts, cigars, funny t-shirts and really nice people behind the counter.
Even has OnaTiki lamps hanging from the ceiling.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-06-19 16:48 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-12-18 09:04 ]

Ah! I just visited my Aunt and went there 2 weeks ago! It's FABULOUS!

Also, if you are traveling to the area the best place to park is at the east end of Santa Clara (BIG PAKINGLOT). As the west would kinda be in the ocean.

Santa Clara is the light south of the store.

Just rode by again and there are a bunch of new tikis. I even saw some Squids under glass, too.

Thanks Kitten :wink:

OOO, OOO, if you want killer burgers and awesome beer. Total non tiki except I saw that they had Voodoo Rum. The Liars Club a block or two north.

MN

Here are some pictures.

Holy Heart Attack.....I never knew about this place. Definitely gonna be a must-stop-shop, the next time I am in SD. Thanks for the pictures...what great artwork. :)

MN

Here is the ad from this quarters Tiki Mag.

Kinda looks like the old location of Gamma Gamma...
Nice alleyway sign!

Have to check it out next time I'm down in S.D.

A

On 2006-12-16 13:33, TikiGardener wrote:
Kinda looks like the old location of Gamma Gamma...
Nice alleyway sign!

Have to check it out next time I'm down in S.D.

God, I think you're right, but I never would have remembered the name of that old place. And it's kind of scary that you do!

I worked that place for a bit. Usually worked at the Hillcrest one. But everynow and then they sent me to that one.

And yes it is scary....

Gamma Gamma was on the north side of Sam's/Little Sam's closer to San Jose.
The Freak Factory is on the south side of Sam's/Little Sam's at Pismo Ct. I think it is Pismo.

On 2006-12-17 20:37, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Gamma Gamma was on the north side of Sam's/Little Sam's closer to San Jose.

Yep. Gamma Gamma everybody's favorite defunct punk shop is now Wind and Sea Surfboards http://www.windanseasurfboards.com/ who moved here from Huntington about ten years ago.

The Freak Factory is in one of the oldest remaining buildings in the area known as "Old Mission Beach".

http://www.johnfry.com/pages/MB24.html

Originally a hotel with a small luncheonette on street level facing the electric trolley running from La Jolla past Crystal Pier all the way to the old Wonderland Amusement Park in Ocean Beach.(Where Dog Beach is today)

The building's housed many things since the 1920's. Currently street level contains The Freaky Boutiki and Freak Factory Smoke Shop and Surfari Surf School http://www.surfarisurf.com/

On 2006-12-17 16:41, TikiGardener wrote:
I worked that place for a bit. Usually worked at the Hillcrest one. But everynow and then they sent me to that one.

And yes it is scary....

Did you ever work with a girl named Jenny Hultgren ? I used to " date " a lot of the girls who worked at the various Gamma Gammas around town . She used to run that store till they sent her out to the El Cajon store .

Yes Mike, I did work with Jenny. And what was her friends name? the one with the red curly hair, dated a guy named Dave I think. He had a short fuse as I recall.

Ahhhh... do you remember the Sinister Icey Black Hand of Death Scooter rally to nowhere??? If you do, hehehehe... you're on your way to my not so secret identity...

Yeah , Tracy . She just got married to someone up in Seattle . Her and Jenny and Dave all moved up there like 14 years ago or something . Yeah Dave would get drunk and turn into a crazy man , he works at a tattoo shop now , and Jennny married some rockabilly rebel and is living in domestic bliss somewhere in SeaWa .

I don't remember the scooter rally though . . . lots of those moments are lost to a drunken fog . . . give me more clues :)

WOOOHOOOO! We went on a Shopping Binge at The Freak Factory this weekend. If you haven't been to Hodadhank's Shop yet you are definitely missing out on some
Tikki-rrific Tiki finds :)

Oooo,....I rode by the Freak Factory and photographed the mugs behind the glass.

I will go back and get the Pokop.

Thanks for bumping this.....gonna have to check this place out when I come to SD for Oasis. :)

K

Visited last week during my trip to SD...great stuff. Great selection of Tiki Farm & Munktiki, TONS of carvings and masks (and not all made in Bali), some great aloha shirts, super-friendly staff. A+

I recognize the big lamp from Tiki Oasis 6.

Unfortunatley I have no room for more lamps.......at the moment.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-12-06 17:28 ]

A

Stopped by today to check out these lamps. Pretty cool. Large ones are $300 and small are $150. A bit more than I am able to pay, but cool nonetheless. If anyone wants to send me a birthday gift....

BUMP....

With the sweet echos of Oasis7 still hanging in the air, Freaky Boutiki staff takes a well deserved breather. So much for trying to be in two places at once. How does that Otto do it?

Carving Litrodora pendant this afternoon on my tiny lanai overlooking the lagoon. Perfect weather and I haven't yet cut myself today!

That's The Catamaran in the distance. (At night we can hear the drums their outdoor Polynesian show. There used to be an eternal torch on the top of the Catamaran but it's been gone for a few years now.)

Looking east towards Buzzy's and the rest of America. Only 3000 miles to Philly!

the Freakyboutiki is the coolest looking shop ever!
When I'm inSan Diego this Nov, I'm gonna stop by!

On 2007-08-20 20:58, hodadhank wrote:

Looking east towards Buzzy's and the rest of America.

Looking west towards Hank's and all that's left of this side of America:

Hi Hank! I can see you right now. You're at home, on the couch, wearing your tiki pajamas watching tv...

Buzzy Out!

Oh yeah? How many fingers am I holding up? :P

H

On 2007-08-21 21:00, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

Thanks Brad! Can't wait to see your work up close at the Bali Hai.

H

Atomikitty's whimsical Coconut Monkey Project has found a permanent home at the Freaky Boutiki but don't worry... These little fellas don't fling poo like ordinary monkeys, they smoke cigars and pipes and hold their cute monkey kiddies tight.

These charming portraits are sure to give your tipsy guests a giggle.

I couldn't resist buying The Commodore for myself. I'm told we share a likeness!

Need a beeeeee-youtiful palm mask big enough to hide that ugly old refrigerator?

Not a problem!

Lets face it... the only thing that radiates mana better in your home bar than a imaginatively carved tiki, is a GIANT imaginatively carved tiki!

We're proud to welcome legendary Malibu mega-carver Zach Zachary to the Freaky Boutiki's growing line up of talented artists.

Zach's enigmatic large scale carvings are oiled and hand rubbed to a rich glowing patina that simply must be seen to be believed. My pics hardly do them justice.

T

On 2007-08-21 21:00, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

Ditto that. That giant window tiki with the display in it's mouth is one of the coolest thing I've ever seen.

HodaHank, Me thinks you need to open a Tiki Restaurant, with your display skills. :)

On 2007-09-09 11:29, tikiyaki wrote:
]...HodadHank, Me thinks you need to open a Tiki Restaurant, with your display skills. :)

Dammit Jim, I'm a retailer not a flamboyant restauranteur!

But I do declare all this old southern (Philly) doctor (Haitian Psychic Surgeon)would need is the perfect location, the perfect investor, the perfect staff, the perfect pupu and drink menus, and the perfect bartender. Did I mention the perfect location? What can I say I'm a perfectionist.

In the meantime I must say something about a completely unrelated matter...

San Diego Audio Explorers rejoice!

The Tikiyaki Orchestra's Stereoexotique is exquisite. A Perfect Storm of Exotica, Latin, Surf, Jazz and a delicate compositional skill make Jim Bacchi's debut disc a marvelous voyage. Stereoexotique makes a fine addition to any thoroughbred exotica collection or an excellent place to start for absolutely anyone with a who likes to chill.

Bacchi's shifting combinations of keyboard, mallet percussion and hand drum sounds create hypnotic atmospheres and textures. Gary Brandon of The Blue Hawaiians is here too contributing to three tracks his distinctive lap steel. Playful cover art by Tiki Shark himself Brad Parker is the colorful parasol making this luscious audio cocktail slide down smooth.

While I couldn't be more excited to see the rumored super-group currently being assembled to perform the album live Friday November 2 at San Diego's legendary Bali Hai, I still hope Jim will shortly return to his tropical subterranean lair, warmed by the earths core no doubt, deeeeeeeeep beneath Burbank, to create more of this wonderful stuff!

Just found an old file with pics from our big fire and thought I'd share some before and after pics. Many many mahalos to our wonderful ohana who helped us remove, reimagine, rebuild, restock and reopen.

I just had to keep one of these big puffers from the pitch black Mug Grotto where our MUNKTIKI case stands today. One of the only things not destroyed by fire, smoke or water, it now hangs in my house along with a Mendiola/Foi Mo tiki and a miraculously unscathed autographed Arthur Lyman Group photo, a gift to Freaky Boutiki from Harold Chang.

...Whoops! Forgot the "afters" here's just a few so nobody has nightmares. I'll try to match the above pics shortly...

A view to the Mug Grotto. Alohas by Reyn Spooner Hawaiian Traditionals. Outrigger beam by OnaTiki. A-frame by Rich Miller. You can also see a Crazy Al tiki, some OnaTiki Cook Island masks and a fraction of our constantly evolving mug selection.

A beautiful Harvey Mendiola/Foi Mo Tahitian tiki stands proud in the post fire Grotto

" :music: Happy family one-hand-clap...:music: " Freaky Boutiki Ohana

Artist Robert Tobin helped me realize my designs for our exterior frieze work. Here he's climbed up into the window display mouth of our grateful gargantua.

The Dread Pirate Murf "Schmaltzes" up a Yipwan with hand blended pigments and natural hemp cording, (no extra charge!)

I don't have to pay Charlie extra to be this cute.... Bonus!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-10-20 12:32 ]

T

Hey
We visited the freak factory while on our travels from england,its well worth the visit,Got a cool lamp for our lounge by mieko and hodad hank is very friendly.
Dave and Sue

Glad you guys made it home OK.

What happened with the MUSTANG you were taking home? Did Dave sell it?

I can imagine it snarling through foggy cobblestone alleys like some sort of Jack-the-Ripper with a Detroit attitude scaring the shite out of those wimpy little Britmobiles!

Oh, Dave & Sue, the lamp you bought was by OnaTiki, although we also carry wonderful resin tiki pendants by Meiko!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-11-28 09:23 ]

H

Neon Jerry getting ready to bend up our three eyed moai...

H

Bamboo artist Rich Miller working on the A-Frame which will eventually house flame effects, headhunter trophys and a Crazy Al tiki. The outrigger beam was carved by Ona Tiki... Rich has also recently completed installations for Santa Clara Center and Meihana's Hawaiian Grinds on Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach

Rich & Coleen's dog Mack eyes a machette as Monkey sneaks up from the shadows.

Dread Pirate Murf burned and hand wrapped yarn moss on pre-made grids that would eventually support our mask display. You can still see part of our old Rick Griffin stlye mural featuring surfing eyeballs and big yellow tiki.

D

we stopped in to see Hodad Hank & the Lovely Rita ~ what a great inventory of tiki stuff and more.. oh and very cool tiki pipes for tobacco use only!

On 2008-03-17 21:15, dogbytes wrote:
we stopped in to see Hodad Hank & the Lovely Rita ~ what a great inventory of tiki stuff and more.. oh and very cool tiki pipes for tobacco use only!

Gotta love those tiki pipes for tobacco only! I have a few from Artist X. :)

Erik the Red

B

As an avid tobacco pipe collector I will def have to check those out when me and MyMotiki are in San Diego for the Tiki Oasis! It's SOOOOOOOO far away though!

Just a bump for the trademarked map :wink:

Beer or dog toys is acceptable printing of the map :)

Aloha, Tiki-Freaks!!

Here's a whole bunch-o-Freaky Boutiki pics!

Hope ya enjoyed the tour!

Cheers! :drink:

KreepyTiki (aka "Castaway Clemens")

Now that is what a contemporary Tiki store should look like! You are really fully ladling from the rich sources of Southern Californian Tikidom. It's looking like O.A.'s lil' brother! :)

I really need to get to this place already.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Aloha, all!

I thought I'd post a pictorial tribute to Freaky Boutiki & Crazy Al that I just created on Paintshop Pro...

It's a computer-enhanced version of this pic which I posted some days ago:

Cheers! :drink: :tiki:

T

looks like the Munk area.
What is this in the photo below.

Kreepy: Mahalo nui loa for the great pics!

BigBro: :blush:

Jeff: Yeah really! WTF?

This, my friend is an Astro Ahtray by the mysterious Artist X.

I spotted him a few years ago in Las Vegas; a complete stranger dashing through a crowd wearing a velvet smoking jacket and a fez. Naturally, I was compeled to introduce myself and the rest as they say is history.

Artist X has created a full line of poly-pop and low brow inspired smokers accessories as well as ash-free insence burners.

Bump

On 2009-08-11 12:03, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Bump

S

I'm pretty sure that i can spell alright, so why the hell cant i get onto the website.Am i doing something wrong because http://www.thefreakyboutiki.com just doesn't seem to work for me.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies