Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

H

Well I decided to take a structure in my backyard and convert it to an outdoor (obviously) kitchen, bar, patio, etc. area. I've already covered the top with reed fencing.
this is the structure:

you can kinda see that it is just an arbor type thing about 20' across and around 12' deep where it connects to the house and tapers off to about 7' deep at the end of it that's farthest away from the house.

Some of my goals for this project are:
water proof the roof--add wall to back to block view of neighbors house from inside--add a decorative gable (hand-carved?), maybe Sumatran style or Maori meeting house style would look pretty cool too. Not to mention, add some elements of exotica--bamboo, reed fence, tapa, etc.

Been doing some research on Oceanic architecture for some inspiration---found these NZ patterns:

I opted to try a rendition of the Pakura pattern on some 2X6's or 8's for a header/fascia panel for the front.

Here I've printed out a 'template' that I did w/ Adobe Illustrator. I had to tape 2 print-outs together to get a complete section of Pakura pattern.

Now I've transferred the pattern to the 2x6 via carbon paper. I laid the template over the carb-paper, held it in place with some push-pins and traceed the pattern w/ a pencil.

Here's a shot of an 8' 2x6 with complete pattern transfer. You can see I started to go back over the transfer w/ a sharpie marker but found it unneccessary.

Let the chips fly!

Veeee-ola! several hours later--16 feet of 'Pakura fascia'. A die-hard traditionalist may scoff, but I just used a parting tool to cut the lines transferred onto the wood--no fancy relief carving or anything like that. I also added some little V cuts down the edges of the boards to give some extra detail.

Hope to stain and install within the next few days.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-07-08 13:12 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-07-27 21:04 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-07-28 08:18 ]

[ Edited by: howland 2008-07-30 12:27 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2009-05-12 08:36 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2009-09-26 10:11 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2011-12-28 09:18 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2011-12-29 08:23 ]

M

Good stuff there Surf & Turf! Keep us posted.

Mahalo

Mc

B

Yes, Excellent postings, Definitely looks like a great beginning!. This will be a Must-see project to watch....
Let the Fun Begin!

T

it looks great!! i'm looking foward to what else you do and how the backyard turns out. keep us posted!

H

Thanx, yous guys. I get a feeling that this is gonna be one of those 'stop-n-go' projects but I'm on a roll now-like a surf-n-turf hoagie--yehoooo!

Got my 'pakura fascia' stained and installed today. I hit it w/ some ebony stain and quickly wiped the surface off with a mineral spirits soaked rag to remove some of the surface stain while leaving as much as possible in the deeper reccesses. I likes it--certainly not museum quality, but it's effective and that was my goal.

You can see in the above pic the 3 -2x6's laying on the roof, protruding from the front--that's a rough approximation of where the gable will be.
better pic below

On the cover of the BOT, there is a tiki coming out of the top of the gable, like a continuation of the ridge of the roof--looks real cool. So I thought I'd try to set something like that up --a tekoteko man-protruding from the front---yeah! Maybe holding a spear or some other utensil.

I drew up a side view:

Then 'carbon-papered' it to the piece of 2x6:

sliced him out w/ the bandsaw (3 slabs):

then glued the teko-slabs together:

I'll see if I can get some carve time in tommorrow and hopefully post some progress-over and out.

Hey nice work! I'd like to carve a beam and hope it comes out half as nice as that!

Brad, that is an awesome start to what will be a killer project I'm sure. Thanks for the tips on how you transfer patterns. I am always interested in how other carvers do that kind of stuff. The pakura fascia looks great!

A-A

M

Surf, that's awesome! I still have the ridge beam to decorate. I figured it easier to just start using the bar instead (lol)

Keep up the fantastic progress brudda!

Mahalo

Mc

H

Just finished some big job related projects so i've had (and still have) a few days to kill w/ backyard tikificaion projects. I finished the teko gable ornament and drew up a gable design to carve. Here's the pics-
rough-out of teko style head with some SnT cartoon style added (can't help it)

here's 2 cartoon style heads for you!

Started bringing him to life a little more this morn (7-22). Fun style to carve--my first of this kind. Kinda neat to try for the almost human features.

side view-need to add tatts now:

Tatts sketched out:

tatts carved- bad pic, can't see everything:

A little stain and he's about good to go (after some sealer). He'll be holding a spear or harpoon in his tiny little hands eventually.

Was done with this guy by midday and got to work some on the actual gable structure on the roof-the future home of the '2 X Teko'. Here's what I plan to carve on the gable face-looks mighty ambitious but I'll see what I can do. The little photo embedded in the gable graphic is the sole inspiration for the carving (came from a photo of a door from a house in Timor)--the only part I 'gained inspiration from'. The section with the fish and the top with the sunburst and waves is more SnT cartoony style:

Checkin' back in tommorrow, hopefully.

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2006-07-22 21:28 ]

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2006-07-22 21:30 ]

Surf-n-Turf!
Incredible! That little Guy is coming along so great! And the last pic with the sun and the fish are going to be bombs from the look of it! You are driven and talented! A good mix! Mahalo for keeping us updated! There's like an army of talent here at TC! Incredible!Great work man!

That teko looks GREAT! Very nice carving - I love his expression. That's quite a cool/amitious project ya got goin' there and it's coming together very nicely. Can't wait to see more!

damn surf and turf..... how did I miss this?

Thats some great carving and design.

I really like the step by step.

Obviously you have skills.

H

Sheeez! I forgot to give mahalo's before I posted new progress pics last night.

Tikiwahine: Thanx and I think you should carve a beam--if you can get a pattern, get it onto the wood and swing a hammer at a chisel---you're set. It's easier than you might think.

Aaron: thank you also- I feel like I have a killer vision but sometimes (for me anyway) the final results miss their mark- sometimes by a long shot -sometimes close. There may be an easier way to transfer patterns but this method was the most obvious.

McT--Thanks bro- checked out your ridge beam on your thread--bar lookks awesome!! I need a pool too!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 23, 2006 3:39 PM

SnT,

That teko-man is a bomb! You need to post him over in carving...

What a great style and pose. Wikkid great! I also dig the boards you ar making.

-Gman

Hey Surf...Excellent work with the gable carving...thanks for the step-by-step pics....I
love the side view of the lips and tongue...so good that it reminds me of stuff done by
that other guy....Ben. This is going to be a wonderful project...I agree with GMan that
it should be in the "carving" thread.

H

LittleLostTiki, Polynesiac, Monkeyman, Gman and Conga of the north! What a fine lot of artists and craftsmen to be getting compliments from. You guys (as well as most of the ohana here) are all geniuses of skill and style and I appreciate every kind word--that's where 'drive' comes from.

Gman and Conga- I would put some of this stuff on the carving only forum, just not that advanced on the 'how to do this-n-that' here yet.

Gotta lotta stuff done again yesterday and last night. Went by the print shop yesterday morning and printed out my gable pattern full size. I printed it out on the big 'laserwriter' on sheets of screenprinters vellum (13 x 18 inches, I believe). Vellum is translucent or transparent and very durable so any pattern printed on it could be reused many times. Beats the heck out of using 8.5 x 11 printer paper from the HP deskjet like I used for the pakura fascia.

Here's '2 by teko' trying out his new perching spot. I had to clamp him up there after I built the gable frame just to get a look at the vibe I'm shootin' for. Said he flew up there...I had to fly up there and get him down. (Trivia time--where did that last sentence come from????)

Checkin' the vibe level--That's a piece of copper pipe coming out from his hands -thanks, shutterfly for the crop job. It will be the spear/harpoon. I will probably use a peice of bamboo-the pipe was just laying around.The thing that looks like it's sticking out from his arse is a clamp.

Here's the pattern on the vellum and a gable half with the transferred pattern:

Into the carve zone---leave me be and let me go--see you when I'm done!:

Got halfway done carving last night. At 12:50 am, as much as I hated to, I had to call it quits.

We'll see what kind of progress happens today as I have a few more days of
'tiki-time'

Wow. Thats freaking awesome. Was it all done with just the parting chisel? Thanks for sharing.
Cant wait to see it all done.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 6:33 PM

SnT,

You are a madman. This is killer stuff. I can't wait to see your next update. You wanna come down here and make me a structure like that? WOW!

H

Thanx Rodeo--Yes it 99% parting chiz, 'cept for the wider reccessed areas (the 'flower' looking part-toward the right). I scooped that out with a small 'C' shaped chisel. (gouge?)

G- Hope you're not too disappointed with this lame, 1 picture update. I'll catch up tommorrow morn. Yeah, I'll come down there and fix you up a hut--should I wear my football helmet? :lol:

Got the gable carving finished and stained today. Took one shot and camera batts died--then hellfire thunderstorm action broke loose on me--then it got dark---then i got tired-then blablablabla--you know the story.

Here's the one pic I did get before I was shut down by the events mentioned above. I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out.

Mo' betta pics tommorrow morn.....

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 7:57 PM

VERRRRY NIIICE! I can't believe this stuff you are bangin out! If you come this-a-way, you better wear headgear - and bring that dermabond stuff!

-Gman

H

Gman-----HAAAA! Between you, Aaron and myself, we could have a bloodbath of a carving session--I'll see if I can acquire more dermabond for all of us!

Insane work! I'm loving it.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 1:54 AM

This is one of the best backyard tiki temples I've seen so far. I can't wait till it's done.

M

Buwahahahaaaa. "Football helmet" I think he's moving his exhaust. NEwayz, awesome and speedy work there SnT! What music do you carve to? Must be speed metal.

Get another battery to rotate

Keep posting up what's being done. This thing is going far faster than mine did. Nice, Nice details sir.

Mahalo

Mc

B

Damn, Mee too, how did I miss it. This is one Awesome job and i Love your tiki. Gotta send me pix of the whole thing when done..

T

great work. Wish I wasnt always in a hurry Id get some suff like that on my bar

B

I forgot to mention the Recip carver is Best with the V-Liner. It would walk through thet in 1/4th the time you can do it by hand. You really need to try one..

I'm a newb here but I gotta say SnT I love this and am gonna follow this closely. Keep up the great work mate!!!

Amazing stuff! I love watching it progress.

Amy

H

Ch-ch-ch-checkin' back in- a fews day late and a few dolla's short. Been hotter'n a dozen hells here and I just had to take a break for a few days.

Mahalo's to all:

Mctiki---- no speed metal for me, makes me jittery. Carving part did go by pretty quick, maybe 4-4n'a half hours total carve time on gable. (quick for me)

Benzart----your genius is not only revealed in your work but also in your methodology. I gotta get me one of them 'lectric recip carvin' machines. If you happen back across here, shoot me the name of a good one or two to consider.

Thanatos---your set-up looks like a cool place to hang--loved your party pics-you guys know how yo have fun! Bikinis and beer--woohoo!

QueenK---your house 'ROCKS'!!!!

This phase of the project is slowing down a bit but here's what I've got.
Here's the gable 'unit' --both sides carved, stained with ebony stain then sanded most of the stain off the surface. The horizontal board across the midsection is a brace I screwed to the back to keep it in one peice.

here's a closeup of the top. You can see where I royally 'effed-up' the joint between the 2 halves--I cut a little right of center. Also goofed up my notch a little at the very top. Surf-n-turfism: when one becomes a master of mistakes, he also becomes a master of disguising his mistakes. We'll see.

Here's a shot of the gable clamped into place with the '2 by Teko' clamped into place as well.

Here's a close up.

I've got some work to do--I've got to come up with some kind of idea to make his feet meet the gable instead of having the gap between his feet and the gable. I'm thinking of some kind of carved, decorative trim that will meet his feet and also cover up my boo-boos on the gable top. Thinkin' cap on--check back soon. Got any ideas--shootem' to me, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for looking!

T

man surf-n-turf.....this just keeps getting better & better looking!! the gable turned out pretty awesome looking & i'm sure you'll cover up the "boo-boo" just fine. i can't wait to see this all finished! keep up the great work!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 6:07 PM

THIS ROCKS! He said 2 X Teko! :lol:

-Gman

B

S&T that Teko turned out great. That is an Awesome piece with Excellent form and detail. Looks like you have done dozens of them and made it look like just another days work.
Here is a link to a powerful carver that will to your 2 panels in about 1 hour,,Serious. You can find several suppliers and different prices for each. These guys have about the cheapest. You need to brouse through the "Tools Carvers use" Thread over in Creating Tiki. There are some excellent tools there./.
Still loving your project.

H

What a great piece, it is excellent. You are a great artist.

S

Very cool. I want to do something like this in our yard. Make a nice A-frame roof lanai. How are you going to cover the roof? Tin roof, thatch...

J

Wow, I haven't checked this thread in over a week, what amazing progress. The Tekoteko and the gable are great. What a treat to see.

JP

ST

So this explains why you missed out on the surf weekend before last. One word...sick!! How about using a curved wedge to blend the teko to the gable?

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 7:00 AM

SnT,
This is such a great project. Well done and I'm looking forward to seeing this baby progress. Be proud.

You could conceal the beam and "boo boo" by just wrapping the beam with rope or binding/lashing.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 11:00 AM

I like the rope idea. I think that would look nice.

-Gman

H

Mahalos to all: T5-0, Gman, Benzart, Hiltiki, Swanky JP, surfT, Loki, TMike-you guys are all way nice!

Thanx for the info/tips, Benz. I've really enjoyed this 'flat panel carving stuff' and will be doing more soon for the posts of the hut/bar thing.

Swanky- I think I'm going w/ corrugated fiberglass panels for the roof. I found some really thick, durable stuff at Blowe's in a nice, hunter green kinda color. May do the gable portion of the roof with clear panels for some natural light.

SurfT-- Yea, I was bangin' away on some boards while you were riding boards-catcha next time! Curved wedge, hmmmm, that's a good idea, if I'm thinkin' along the same lines as you. (I think I am)

TikiMike-also a good idea. I haven't done any rope/lashing work before but I've seen it used very nicely here and elswhere. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks again for looking and giving suggestions. I'm gonna have to do some 'general carpentry' now to get the gable panel to stay where it's supposed to, then off to phase 2, and I'm not exactly sure what that is going to be yet. Maybe a palm thatch overhang for the front. I've also got 500 feet of bamboo that's going in somewhere.
Check back soon.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:34:22 ]

On 2006-07-27 09:42, surf-n-turf wrote:
QueenK---your house 'ROCKS'!!!!

Thanks!! Your place is going to be amazing!!! :)

Amy

[ Edited by: queen kamehameha 2006-08-20 18:19 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 5:55 PM

SnT,

Have you been able to make any more progress on this project. You've got me on the edge of my chair........

I just found this post. Awesome work, and imaginivity. I'll be checking back to follow the progress.

O

Surf n Turf,
That is some incredible work you are doing. Great job. can't wait to see more.

H

Whew! been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest but I'm back with a mild update.

Alot of graphics work has kept me from getting a lot done on the tiki bar project. Had to take care of my peeps down at the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show--always a big job-multi designs-thousands of tee's.

Also had to do some work for the Eastern Surfing Association's Governor's Cup of Surfing. I could've put some tikis in the design but for whatever reason, I didn't. However, they wanted me to give them a pic of myself to put in the program booklet so I took a pic of myself with one of my previous old-school polypop style carves.

As a way of signing my work, I always try to add myself into the design somewhere--on the wave here, driving boats in Ft. Laud BoatShow designs, etc.

OK-back to tiki stuff-
The tiki-fied outdoor kitchen/bar project I'm working on shall from here forward be called "The Hukilau Hut" since the theme, however vague, is fish! I love to eat fish, catch fish, look at fish, draw fish, paint fish, flop around in the water like fish and occasionally, drink like a fish so I will incorporate more fishiness as I progress. (netting, glass fish floats, puffers, etc.--you know what I'm talkin' 'bout)

Still haven't tweaked the teko on the gable ridge yet but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm gonna do about it now. Done alot of 'general carpentry' type stuff and some bamboo work--here's some pics:

Capped the 2x4's with some bamboo that I split, flame burnished the nodes and finished w/ some exterior polyurethane.

You can see here the salvaged fencing I put up for the back wall and will eventually cover with roofing felt/tar paper then cover that with reed fence.

Here's a shot from across the yard-w/ roofing paper applied to back wall:

Here's a shot from the deck. You can see the Ondura roofing panels I'm putting up--tuff stuff!

Here's a dog's eye view--I let him snap the pic! You can see the reed fencing on the ceiling and the underside of the roofing panels (toward top of pic)

And here's a pic from my nextdoor neighbors deck. Thank gootness I've got a super cool neighbor (Hi Carol!) and a super laid back HOA.

When this is all said and done, I want to do a pond/pool/waterfall type thing beside the hut---back to work--Thanks for looking!

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=260220&ck=

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-04-11 20:34 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 2:55 PM

That's good stuff Brad. I really like the pics in the surfer materials. Way cool. You look like some mad jungle anthropologist in the pic with your carving! How long until you think you might have the roof on and the gable completed? Man does it look great! I like your idea of fencing the back wall and then using straw; very nice. I can't wait to see this project completed. Next time I head up to Summerville I'll need to stop in and hang out under the 2xteko. Maybe we can exchange fishy stories and fry some fillets?

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies