Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

On 2013-09-07 14:17, tikiskip wrote:
Went to an estate sale today the house was a very cool Spanish style
so I knew this one would be good.
Saw this Bull hanging WITCO? I'm not sure, the owner said all of the stuff came
from Spain.
Then saw a sword wall hanging, again not sure on this one, no markings on the back.

So my question is... if this did come form Spain, Did they copy WITCO?
Or did WITCO copy them, Or did they sell WITCO in Spain?

Very good question and we'd love to know what bigbrotiki has to say about this. We call this style "Spanish Modern" and as a trend it kind of dovetails very nicely with Witco. We have some of this including furniture ... it's not Witco, but it goes well with it and was all made in Spain.

Actually there's a restaurant out here that had a bull on red background similar to the one you posted. From a distance you would swear it was Witco.

Hello All!

Happy new year!

I would like to buy this chair. Do you think it is Witco?

Aloha!

TIKIQUÉBEC

Witco yes, but the back rest is painted, and the upholstery is missing. And it's not Tiki.

Hello bigbrotiki! Thank you for your answer! Next time, I'll know.

M

I was wondering if anyone has done a search for location of stores that sold Witco, it would seem that would be a good area to search. has anyone seen any kind of paper with Witco locations or have I stumbled on someone's honey hole!

Just a guess, but I sorta doubt you'll find many retailers that are in the habit of holding on to unsold inventory for forty years..

M

I'm not saying that I think there are any Witco stores open, just saying that the area around the store would be a good bet to find some, now if you had the location of a old store you would have a better opportunity find some. Just trying to give people new ideas for their hunting, its about the hunt!

chicago had a witco store/ showroom - that's where hala kahiki and surrounding area tiki bars got most of it's witco decor.

you can easily find out where the stores were by contacting ken pleasant of pleasanttiki.com - if anyone would have access to that info, he would.

In 1974 Witco boasted 7 "showrooms" I'll go out on a limb and say that when Witco went out of business (a short time later) the showrooms closed? They did sell to many other dealers and they where all over the country, I seem to recall seeing a form you'd fill out if you wanted the pieces "shipped" to you, so that would really put it all over the map, I suspect where ever average American mid century decor was popular your likely to find Witco.

Bosko

K
kiara posted on Tue, Jan 14, 2014 7:00 PM

Here's 5 of their locations in 1976...

On 2014-01-14 19:00, kiara wrote:
Here's 5 of their locations in 1976...

from this list,and locations, it looks like these were show rooms to the 'TRADE'
the 'score' would be to get their customer lists.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2014-01-15 04:18 ]

M

Must of been furniture and department stores that sold it. Need to try old yellow pages and check the furniture ads. Thanks Kiara and Tiki David! Tiki D do you ever refinish any of your Witco and do you have any idea how to bring back the grain on a weathered piece of Witco? Thank you!

On 2014-01-15 09:33, mudbone wrote:
Must of been furniture and department stores that sold it. Need to try old yellow pages and check the furniture ads. Thanks Kiara and Tiki David! Tiki D do you ever refinish any of your Witco and do you have any idea how to bring back the grain on a weathered piece of Witco? Thank you!

First and very important, 'DEBURR', then; oil,orange oil, teak oil, rejuvenating oil.
oil, oil, oil then rub,rub, rub.
It's not rocket science,it's wood.
hope this helps.

You could buy Witco from Montgomery Ward... check out this 1970 catalog:

-Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: trad'r bill 2017-03-31 14:17 ]

H

Back in 2012-08-18 10:31 PM Ragbag Comics posted this lamp and was looking for any info about it. I can't see what the catalog says about the lamp. Would be neat to read what they have to say about it.

Here ya go - not too much info, but still interesting:

-Trad'r Bill

Wow... there it is!

Glad to see we paid about the same price for that lamp as it would have cost us at Wards in 1970!

No accounting for inflation. Still a mystery as to the manufacturer, but it looks good displayed with all that Witco stuff.

What a cool time capsule... A God of Fortune fountain for $300? Biku for $275?

Weird to imagine the whole family out shopping at Wards on a Sunday deciding, "We need to buy socks, a new bathrobe, a toaster and... yeah what the hell throw in that 7ft tall Tiki."

--Pete

M

Love the Treasure Craft fish bowl, never seen one like it, have some larger one's
. I guess Ward's carried a lot of different tiki
stuff, who knew!

A few weeks ago an eBay listing popped up with a BIN that I jumped all over. It included the bar and 3 stools and the witch doctor wall hanging. When it was delivered I asked the seller if they would let me know if they ever came across any other Witco items to which they replied "We have a fountain at home we'd be willing to sell." Needless to say I was stoked and we made a deal for the fountain as well. Unfortunately the fountain is missing the base and one of the bowls.

Great score and smart asking if they had other Witco.

You can easily have a carver reproduce the missing fountain pieces.

I know a few TC people that have done so.

Thanks for sharing!

What a loot! Would have liked to have seen that stuff in its authentic rec room/bed room setting. Gnarly! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Witco-King-Comforter-/201025813342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ece127b5e

That bar is the same as the one in the Jungle Room. Now being sold off one-by-one. I wonder what that headboard will be offered for if the furry blanket alone is 250.- bucks…

T

The bar we bought locally here in Springfield, Il. was from an elderly lady who said she bought it at a local furniture store. I'm pretty sure there was no Witco gallery here! :lol:

I have this from a reputable mid-century dealer who I've bought witco from before, but I've just never seen this piece before. It's a rather large wall owl, candle sconce. The wood and color seem right. The candle pieces actually come out a few inches. I can't find anything on this. Anyone seen this before? Witco/Not Witco?

It looks Witco but I have no idea what that design is, could be a cat? If you could post better images perhaps we could offer more info?

T

On 2014-02-21 19:08, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
It looks Witco but I have no idea what that design is, could be a cat? If you could post better images perhaps we could offer more info?

It's obviously an owl when I have my glasses off.

With them on, I'm not so sure.

Passed on this Witco cat at the swap meet today because it looks like it was painted with some green paint. The paint was slopped on the wood frame too. The cat had some black paint in spots on it that didn't look right. Initial asking price was $40.

Last Witco I saw a couple months ago was a stool that was chock full o'termites. 5 minutes after I saw it, SOLD! Otherwise, it seems I never see witco that ain;t messed up down here.

Buzzy Out!

I love that cat. It would make a good restoration project for the right person.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-02-23 05:05 ]

Oddly enough I saw one of these at an antique show this weekend.
Here ya go Bosko.
Look at how they made sure the grain swirls are in the right
place to make the (cats?) eyes.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

It's Witco E.T.

Thanks for the picture Skip, now I'm even more confused, the more I look the less sense it makes, Witco does that sometimes! I guess we can be sure it's a candle holder.

C

On 2014-02-23 11:48, tikiskip wrote:

Oddly enough I saw one of these at an antique show this weekend.
Here ya go Bosko.
Look at how they made sure the grain swirls are in the right
place to make the (cats?) eyes.

Oddly enough - it's the same piece, he said he was taking it to some show this weekend. If he didn't sell it was still thinking about buying it, but it just still seems like an odd piece.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

Thanks again Skip, this must be one of those designs that looked better on paper than the carvers were able to execute, I do see a cat and and I do see an owl, let's hope the catalog doesn't list it as conquistador candle holder!

Yeah Celo I was looking for tells that would say it's the same one, but could not find.
It was in Cincy and was $250.00 I think, but it was a high dollar show.

And Bosko it looks kinda like a sprout too.
Like some logo I've seen before, Fertilizers, Del Monte?

I like the old faded paint on it.

TT

It's Mothman (An Ohio/WV Urban Legend)

TT

Got lucky today, found a Witco Viking Ship in a Habitat Restore for 30 bucks and it's in perfect condition.

T

My new Witco. It lights up not sure if it was made that way does anyone know?

Yes it was made that way. Should have 2 bulbs.

Nice find! One of my favorite pieces.

K

Its an owl :)

S

picked these up today...any thoughts?

Bought this gal at Hukilau 2013. Finally got her home last week and hung her up.

On 2014-03-23 17:46, skootiki wrote:

picked these up today...any thoughts?

Very nice Skootiki. I have the one on the right, but mine has a\three little diamond tiles on the lower section.

I was hoping to Show off this Witco "Bongo player" carving here on this thread after I bought it today....
Unfortunately it's now the one that got away... Been looking for a Witco piece here on Maui for several years and when I saw this being advertised as an outdoor weathered Tiki statue 6' tall for $40, I was hoping it would be mine... Didn't happen...
Here's a picture of it anyways to show for the person that bought it.. :wink:

The search continues... :wink:

Nice. I feel your pain, beachbumz. I've been looking for that guy forever, myself. Keep up the hunt!

TT

A couple recent finds!
First an outrigger from an estate auction. I already have one, but this one is in much better condition.

Next is the one I was really excited about. From an older gentlemen that is selling his house and downsizing. It looks like it was never used and is one of the best condition wahine chairs I have seen.

Front

Back

March was a good month!

G

Hell yeah, march was a good month. That chair is awesome. That new Houston tiki bar covered the orange with tapa and I think it looks really good. Personally, I wouldn't do it to one in good shape, though.

gabbahey

That chair is an awesome score. There is / was one in the Hawaiian Inn and in the Aku Tiki Inn in Daytona Beach. Yours is in much better condition.

Great page

just got this on sunday, and Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!!!! I saw one of these along time ago and wanted one ever since!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies