Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

Its missing the seat pad but I didn't care.....

BK

Found this guy at the antique flea market, this past week. Also found him on page 293 of Tiki Mpdern, in situ, with William Westenhaver.

K

Sorry, bad pic! We found this at Brimfield Sunday. Wondering if it's Witco. Any ideas?

I don't think so, Looks very rough, any marks on the back?

K

No markings at all :(

Like new bar stools. Don't have room for them so I will probably put them in marketplace

T

A few days ago I went to lunch with my lovely wife and daughter and on the way home stopped off at a thrift store just to kill time. As I looked in the back of the store what did I see? Witco maybe? It sure looked like one but I'd never seen a Witco candle holder . Not so much tiki, but still...

Long story short I took this beauty home ( The wife thinks not,lol) and did a little research...

Score!!! Wonder how it ended up in coastal South Carolina... ahh, The stories it could tell.

I just picked up these 2 pieces.

I have never seen either of these before,have you?

I've seen a version of the boy that was a lot more realistic then space aged lawn jockey,but i dig him.

W

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2014 10:49 AM

Too cool WVM, nice finds!

this may have been discussed before, but I keep seeing pieces like this being pawned off as witco, but I just don't see it. it's not chainsaw carved and it also has plastic inlays...can someone confirm please?

Those pieces have been discussed before on here, you're right. They're definitely not Witco; but some sellers call them Witco to drive up the price. I think a piece like that was in the Mad Men tv show also..

If it is an original, it should be from Spain dated 1960s to 70s, it is Castilian design
or as I call it these days "Spanish Modern", the knockoffs came from Mexico.

There are whole bed room sets of this design style, with various pieces from headboards to night stands to big mirrored wardrobes. In my opinion these are cool mid-century designs by themselves, and don't really need the Witco monicker. However, as internet research nowadays goes just about one or two mouse clicks deep, sellers are simply copying the mistake from each other and perpetuating the misinformation.

Years ago, when these pieces first surfaced, I shot off two or three messages to some sellers to inform them of their misunderstanding, but there was no change in the posts. It's not so much for the price as for the X-tra clicks the name Witco brings, I would think. Mostly, the perpetrators just go by what they see on other posts. :(

On 2014-12-29 10:15, nimereht wrote:
this may have been discussed before, but I keep seeing pieces like this being pawned off as witco, but I just don't see it. it's not chainsaw carved and it also has plastic inlays...can someone confirm please?

You have good instincts. Cool piece nonetheless. Stylistically, it is also too refined and smoothly/intricately carved and finished to pass as Witco.

On 2014-12-30 13:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
There are whole bed room sets of this design style, with various pieces from headboards to night stands to big mirrored wardrobes. In my opinion these are cool mid-century designs by themselves, and don't really need the Witco monicker. However, as internet research nowadays goes just about one or two mouse clicks deep, sellers are simply copying the mistake from each other and perpetuating the misinformation.

Years ago, when these pieces first surfaced, I shot off two or three messages to some sellers to inform them of their misunderstanding, but there was no change in the posts. It's not so much for the price as for the X-tra clicks the name Witco brings, I would think. Mostly, the perpetrators just go by what they see on other posts. :(

This style/aesthetic was used in custom entry doors also, I can't find the photos here
but there are a few pics on TC.

G

I found some witco at an estate sale today, and wondered if anyone is familiar with this set. It is pretty dark and wanted to know if this is considered tiki. Any help would be appreciated.

Not tiki. Don't think it's Witco either.

G

Thanks for your quick reply. I didn't think so either. My nephew is really getting into tiki and I thought I might get it for him. I am just a nubee and needed some guidance!! Looks kind of Gothic to me, but the owner said it was Witco tiki. Gonna keep on looking

Looks like those Mexican carved wood sets from the late 1960s to 1970s
that copied the Castilian Spanish style, to rough to be actual Spanish pieces.

G

Thanks for your input. I love this site. Glad I needed to look around. I might just get hooked on this stuff. I live about 45 miles south of Daytona. Think I will check out the Hawaiian spot there.

Hvh

?

Not mine but The first episode of Transparent features a Witco ship in the background.

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 16, 2015 9:17 AM

I was never a Witco fan, but after checking out this thread for the last couple years you guys showed me the light about how cool they are. I am not a bargain hunter but when this came up I had to have it. "The Conversation" will fit my home perfectly.

[ Edited by: cy 2015-02-16 13:26 ]

cy, that's a nice piece. "The Conversation" is like Witco gone cubist.

The latest addition to our Witco family:

Scored this miniature world map in the wild.

Hello all...

I have some furniture that I think might be Witco.... it was my parents furniture...has to be about 45 years old at least.... I've been trying to figure out what we have for years...any feed back you all could give me would be really appreciated...Thanks in advance.

It looks to be Castilian Spanish design from the late 60s early 70s
and not Witco.

On 2015-04-13 22:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
and not Witco.

thanks for the feedback. Someone had mentioned Castilian Spanish design to me previously but I haven't found any similar furniture on-line of the Castilian Spanish Style that has the same designs as I see on this furniture.

Was there a Castilian Spanish style of furniture that was copying the Witco style? Or anyone else that was doing Witco styled furniture at that time.... like Witco knock-offs or something..... Because like I said, I'm not seeing these type of designs on the Castilian Spanish

during my searches on line I found a picture of this guitar .... we had this exact same guitar as part of the furniture set, but gave it away years ago... Is this Witco?

again thanks so much for your feedback

Yup. The guitar is Witco. I'm still hoping to find one in the wild one day.

On 2015-04-14 08:38, Warren Coolidge wrote:

and not Witco.

thanks for the feedback. Someone had mentioned Castilian Spanish design to me previously but I haven't found any similar furniture on-line of the Castilian Spanish Style that has the same designs as I see on this furniture.

Was there a Castilian Spanish style of furniture that was copying the Witco style? Or anyone else that was doing Witco styled furniture at that time.... like Witco knock-offs or something..... Because like I said, I'm not seeing these type of designs on the Castilian Spanish

during my searches on line I found a picture of this guitar .... we had this exact same guitar as part of the furniture set, but gave it away years ago... Is this Witco?

There was a lot of cheaper "Castilian Spanish design" (copied/knockoff) based furniture made in Mexico
and sold in the USA at the time also, but the quality furniture was made with more expensive wood & was imported from Spain.
these look more like furniture made in Mexico, but if you can find any labels it can help to identify them
if it was from Mexico it would be either unlabeled or say "Mexico" usually burnt into the wood.

The imported furniture from Spain normally has the manufacture or artist/carver on a metal plaque or engraved somewhere.

On 2015-04-14 16:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2015-04-14 08:38, Warren Coolidge wrote:

and not Witco.

There was a lot of cheaper "Castilian Spanish design" (copied/knockoff) based furniture made in Mexico
and sold in the USA at the time also, but the quality furniture was made with more expensive wood & was imported from Spain.
these look more like furniture made in Mexico, but if you can find any labels it can help to identify them
if it was from Mexico it would be either unlabeled or say "Mexico" usually burnt into the wood.

The imported furniture from Spain normally has the manufacture or artist/carver on a metal plaque or engraved somewhere.

Thanks again.. I'm going to look to see any identifying markings on any of the pieces. If that guitar I posted a picture of is Witco, then that makes me even more curious about this as we had that exact same guitar as part of the set. There is one more piece I didn't post before of a large wooden picture. What threw me off for years was that I always assumed that it was part of the furniture set but my older brother believes it was bought separately. I always assumed they were bought together and since the picture looks more medevil style I assumed the entire set was some sort of medivel style. I don't think this one is witco, but take a look for me. Again, thanks for your feedback. It literally took me years to get an idea of what this might be. Even if it's not the OG Witco from Spain, I'm pretty sure I could get a few dollars for at least the table and chair set, the coffee table, and the long couch. but here is that pic.

Sorry, but not Witco.
uncle trav is correct on the guitar being Witco, though.

Dang that is an intense piece!

R

Es Witco or no es Witco? Si or No?

Numero Uno...Yo Adivinar es Witco? Verdad?

Numero Dos...Yo Adivinar no es Witco. Verdad?

No hablo español.

uno si dos no.

picked this up at a yard sale today -

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2015-05-02 16:58 ]

picked up this fountain the other day - missing the basin and stand.

photos ?

Not a bar? If not, what then?

Found today. Needs a little TLC, but overall a nice smaller Witco piece!

Later,

PTD

Awesome! I'd call it a bar. There's a pic of one in Tiki Modern pg 260. Cool find!

Nice find. Looks like it could be a hostess stand at the front of a restaurant.

I agree wid Unco T. Nice find!

C

I found this great tall cat. Its in great shape but doesn't have the eyes. Poor kitty.

Does anyone know just what the eyes were? glass? acrylic? any good pictures. I can get a glass artist to remake them if I need to, but am trying to find something to go by.

• Cleotiki

Here is a pic of the Cat with eyes, not sure what was used, myself.

UT

I have a cat like ATP's. Mine is a fireplace tool holder. They sure look like pieces of colored glass to me. Congrats on the cool find!

On 2015-08-08 23:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is a pic of the Cat with eyes, not sure what was used, myself.

The eyes are just colored plastic. I have a few of them missing peepers too, had considered making replacements, if you do try, please document it! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies